• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mclem

A question about a quest; contains spoilers for it. It's a two-star quest in Colony 9 (first line is the name of the quest):

Romantic Notions of a Girl

This is the first time-limited quest I've encountered, but I'm a little confused by it; the vision beforehand suggests that while Monica might be lusting after Erik, Andreas fancies her; and on top of that, Erik is implied to be taking advantage of her.

Is there a way to pass this quest making those two meet up, or am I *meant* to create this sham relationship? It feels a bit odd actively trying to produce what I know is a bad outcome.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
mclem said:
A question about a quest; contains spoilers for it. It's a two-star quest in Colony 9 (first line is the name of the quest):

This is the first time-limited quest I've encountered, but I'm a little confused by it; the vision beforehand suggests that while Monica might be lusting after Erik, Andreas fancies her; and on top of that, Erik is implied to be taking advantage of her.

Is there a way to pass this quest making those two meet up, or am I *meant* to create this sham relationship? It feels a bit odd actively trying to produce what I know is a bad outcome.

This one is not technically time-limited, as in this case it only means that the quests expire once you've chosen one path. There are two paths and you can choose whichever one you FEEL is the correct one.
I believe there is an item you have to pick up and then give to whoever you want to win the girl? You may choose whoever you like. I don't believe there is any real outcome that will affect the game in anyway, choose whatever fits your personal sense of justice.

Have you guys encountered any single door you can open in any town? It seems like every single one is locked, I'm wondering if there even ONE door that opens lol.

Peterthumpa

DAT DOLPHIN:

Ri6QI.jpg

aH6Ph.jpg

t0fYE.jpg

PS: not a hack, you can disable the whole HUD in-game. It's that perfect.

mclem

Lissar said:
This one is not technically time-limited, as in this case it only means that the quests expire once you've chosen one path. There are two paths and you can choose whichever one you FEEL is the correct one.
I believe there is an item you have to pick up and then give to whoever you want to win the girl? You may choose whoever you like. I don't believe there is any real outcome that will affect the game in anyway, choose whatever fits your personal sense of justice.

I only have the option to give it to Monica (who'd then use it on Erik). I'm wondering if I might need to open up more affinities so I 'know' Andreas is interested in her, but a few other things I've 'known' as soon as the Monado has shown me them.

wsippel

Banned
mclem said:

No bailing out.
From what I can tell, you have to decide on one solution: Either Erik or Andreas. Talk to Andreas if you haven't done so yet - you'll get another quest, and they're mutually exclusive. You only get one drop, and you can either give it to Andreas or Monica.

mclem

wsippel said:
No bailing out.
From what I can tell, you have to decide on one solution: Either Erik or Andreas. Talk to Andreas if you haven't done so yet - you'll get another quest, and they're mutually exclusive. You only get one drop, and you can either give it to Andreas or Monica.

That's what I was expecting, but
Andreas doesn't appear to have a quest for me

VindicatorZ said:
Have you guys encountered any single door you can open in any town? It seems like every single one is locked, I'm wondering if there even ONE door that opens lol.
Yeah, Dicksons door will open at some point. Pretty detailed interior, but nothing special otherwise.

kiryogi

Banned
Fuuuck. I heard a bang on my door and thought nothing of it. But then I saw a missed package leaflet. Odd though, I don't recall thehut sending via certified mail. But don't know what else I was expected in the mail...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
mclem said:
That's what I was expecting, but
Andreas doesn't appear to have a quest for me

I checked a Japanese wiki, and it said
you can only pick up his side of the quest if you ask him BEFORE picking up the drop. So now you're locked out of that part of the quest. I guess the only thing you can do is hook her up with the jerk and hope it works out for the best. :/

How do I keep getting quests in colony 9? Ive maxed out all the ones Ive found save two, and can't seem to find anymore, and the story is pushing me out of there.

Never even heard of that quest at the top of the page.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ok ordered from amazon.co.uk for 29.99 not bad, i will see if i click with this game :D

Edit: if i don't like it I will trade it, most likely with a fellow gaffer.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Snapshot King said:
How do I keep getting quests in colony 9? Ive maxed out all the ones Ive found save two, and can't seem to find anymore, and the story is pushing me out of there.

Never even heard of that quest at the top of the page.

More quests will appear as you progress through the story, you can't do all of them at once. There are some other requirements for quests as well. You just have to keep checking back.

Lissar said:
More quests will appear as you progress through the story, you can't do all of them at once. There are some other requirements for quests as well. You just have to keep checking back.

Crazy. Should I keep checking back the whole game or what?

I'd guess some quests open up as you go to other areas. But seriously there feels like an insane number of quests. That said I've done loads of quests but still only 1 star of affinity so I dread how many you need to do for maxing that.

So I'm about 15 hours in and into the 8th area* (at least this time I remembered to take on all the kill y of x monster quests** ASAP). I'm almost at the point where I need to sell stuff (unless its my imagination the game keeps giving you more inventory space though); mainly weapons for Ryen and Sharla. Plus yet another new battle mechanic just got mentioned
Spikes was it?

Probably the funniest thing to happen is when (spoiler for feature shown on the back of the box)
is when the Monado shows the enemy attack and in the vision it misses...not really a future that needs to be changed...

*-Going by the area maps menu (which makes fast travel even better). I assume the order they're listed in is order you go to them in.
**-Keep talking to the person who gives these sorts of quests out, most of them will give 2 or 3 of them.

PetrCobra

So I was fighting the
bird at the end of Satorl Marsh, right after I collected the necessary items
and it was nearly over, when my Wii threw a disc reading error at me. And another one, some time later, when my rage cooled off and I put the disc back inside. Tried it once more, the game loaded but the error came up when I selected Continue. I was curious whether this is the infamous dual-layer-reading issue (I have a launch Wii, never had problems with Brawl, Other M or anything though) so I tried Wii Sports, thinking that I'll have a game of Tennis and then I'll know for sure. The same error popped up after the warning screen. Probably just a dirty lens. I hope.

Guess I'll be buying some 2TB USB drive and installing homebrew tomorrow. At least I can finally import Baten Kaitos Origins and Excitebots.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Snapshot King said:
Crazy. Should I keep checking back the whole game or what?

Pretty much yes. There are a few that will only pop up nearer to the end of the game even in Colony 9, so you either have to keep checking back for them or use a guide.

Starwolf_UK said:
I'd guess some quests open up as you go to other areas. But seriously there feels like an insane number of quests. That said I've done loads of quests but still only 1 star of affinity so I dread how many you need to do for maxing that.

So I'm about 15 hours in and into the 8th area* (at least this time I remembered to take on all the kill y of x monster quests** ASAP). I'm almost at the point where I need to sell stuff (unless its my imagination the game keeps giving you more inventory space though); mainly weapons for Ryen and Sharla. Plus yet another new battle mechanic just got mentioned
Spikes was it?

Probably the funniest thing to happen is when (spoiler for feature shown on the back of the box)
is when the Monado shows the enemy attack and in the vision it misses...not really a future that needs to be changed...

*-Going by the area maps menu (which makes fast travel even better). I assume the order they're listed in is order you go to them in.
**-Keep talking to the person who gives these sorts of quests out, most of them will give 2 or 3 of them.

Yeah, you're right, I'm only at 2 stars as well with Colony 9. Christ that means there's just a shitton of quests that'll open up over time. I love this game.

PetrCobra

Snapshot King said:
Yeah, you're right, I'm only at 2 stars as well with Colony 9. Christ that means there's just a shitton of quests that'll open up over time. I love this game.
Actually, sometimes you get some affinity to the location just by talking to the people. They might start talking about someone else, changing their affinity to that person in the graph, and you'll get some hearts (or what it is you get) as well. I'm not that far in the game and already have 4 stars in Colony 9.

PetrCobra said:
Actually, sometimes you get some affinity to the location just by talking to the people. They might start talking about someone else, changing their affinity to that person in the graph, and you'll get some hearts (or what it is you get) as well. I'm not that far in the game and already have 4 stars in Colony 9.

Huh. I have a huge colony 9 affinity chart but with almost no links. I talked to everybody at least once, I think. I guess I have to talk to them again? It's so messed up how much content is in the first area.

PetrCobra

Snapshot King said:
Huh. I have a huge colony 9 affinity chart but with almost no links. I talked to everybody at least once, I think. I guess I have to talk to them again? It's so messed up how much content is in the first area.
Yeah, talk to them once in a while even if they don't offer any quests. Especially the named ones ;-)

EDIT: Also - I usually talk to everyone twice in a row. They tend to repeat themselves after that. Sometimes the important things are said in the second conversation.

Snapshot King said:

Messed up, or amazing? :)

I think tomorrow I'll go back to Colony 9 before I even touch the Satorl Marsh.

Seems there's a lot of content I'm missing back there from all this discussion.

CoolS

schennmu said:
I'm very impressed with the non existant load times. Fast travel? Change time of day? Zero! Awesome.
Well if u travel to a different zone there is some loading but its still impressive how fast it is.

Zafir

I've got nearly 18hours on my save, and my affinity is only at 2 stars for both Colony 9 and
Colony 6
after doing all the quests I could possibly find. Admittedly in terms of the latter, I'm only just in the
Ether Mines
so I'm betting far more quests will open up later.

15 hours in, just
reunited with Dunban and got our asses saved by that mysterious celestial bird thing.

The game is as epic as they come. I want to use the word masterpiece but I'm not even halfway through the story.

Fuck it, Xenoblade is a masterpiece.

Zafir said:
I'm only just in the
Ether Mines

Shit gets real after that part. Enjoy.

NIN90

schennmu said:
I'm very impressed with the non existant load times. Fast travel? Change time of day? Zero! Awesome.

Huh I think the loading times for opening menus are way too long for an RPG.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
NIN90 said:
Huh I think the loading times for opening menus are way too long for an RPG.
Hmmm... I think ripping to USB hard drive might fix this... Either that or I'm very tolorant of 1-2 second load times :p

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Fuck, this game is addicting. 5 hours in and I don't feel like taking a break. The only things that bother me so far is the lack of a bestiary and the floaty jumps (though it looks hilarious at the same time).

Runs smooth in Dolphin, minus the random crashes.
xenoresizegjdg.jpg

So jealous of you dolphin peeps, my PC just can't hack it. Oh well, it'll give me an excuse to go over all my Wii games in the future. Same with my PS2 ones, once my PC gets there.

BocoDragon said:
Hmmm... I think ripping to USB hard drive might fix this... Either that or I'm very tolorant of 1-2 second load times :p
It doesn't. Affinity and equip menus have load times, other menus seem find though. From the load times I'm seeing I have a feeling this is one of those games where you get a slight improvement rather than a huge one from using USB loader (well besides the Wii disc drive giving up on you). That is the bulk of the load time isn't obtaining data off the disc but rather processing it, I guess.

Seik

Banned
Fomalhaut said:
Fuck, this game is addicting. 5 hours in and I don't feel like taking a break. The only things that bother me so far is the lack of a bestiary and the floaty jumps (though it looks hilarious at the same time).

Runs smooth in Dolphin, minus the random crashes.

Oh really? These crashes happens a lot of times? D:

Sennorin

Banned
Another 2 hours played, another 2 hours not progressing in the story, but doing sidequests and exploring. DAMN. You know, this game is really good, because even in the Zelda-games, my favorite gaming experience, I tend to save sidequests for later in the game. Here, not so. And while it´s true that almost all sidequests are generic "fetch that, kill this"-stuff, they´re fun because they´re interwined with world exploration. Meaning, you´re not running around to fetch or kill, you are running around because you want to find out what comes behind that hill, and on your way you do these generic errands. And not having to return to the quest giver only helps in keeping it fresh.

Still in Bionis Leg, and I´ve only 4 sidequests left (so far, haha).

Zafir

Snapshot King said:
So jealous of you dolphin peeps, my PC just can't hack it. Oh well, it'll give me an excuse to go over all my Wii games in the future. Same with my PS2 ones, once my PC gets there.
Hah, same. Well actually my pc runs PS2 games alright, most of them anyway. Not so much for most Wii games though. I tried Xenoblade earlier on Dolphin, and it varies from place to place. Was getting 17-20FPS in the opening with Dunban. Which isn't ideal due to the problems it causes to the audio.

I've just beaten
Xord
that was a challenging battle, but I didn't die :D. I was laughing hysterically at
the garbled cockney yelling
throughout the battle :lol

This game has some epic cutscenes :O

Top Bottom