• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Even once you have the characters, you still might not. You often have to be VERY VERY high relationship level with characters.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Clipper said:
It can be easily imported. Pikmin 2 plays just fine in 480p on NTSC TVs. You just need a TV that can support it or a converter box to downsample the 480p back to true 480i. Forcing PAL60 also works for some SDTVs.
Ah... so basically it's importable if you have 480p compatibility.

That's no problem for people playing on HDTVs.. but 32 inch or larger SDTV gaming is pretty hard to come by these days (everything SDTV smaller is usually 480i only)

Diffense

Alrus said:
Okay so I read a bit of the Zelda informer thing... That guy is completely dumb =/ Why would you even go there in the first place anyway...

lol
Some people who are involved with fansites are extremely/rabidly fanboyish.
I wouldn't be surprised if s/he felt a need to bash Xenoblade in order to justify NOA's decision to pass on it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kiryogi said:
Average completion time tends to be 50-60 maybe? Rushing through it would be 40. Full on sidequesting is 100+
It kinda blows my mind that some people got less than 90 hours in the game. I don't even know how that's possible. The game scales difficulty in favor of those that do most side quests.

My final time was 110 hours (I think, the clock stops at 99:99), and I don't feel like I was particularly thorough.

Mojojo

Antagon said:
I have the same, but I think that if it outright tells you you can't use the heart to heart it means that you don't have the party members for it yet.
Yea, i have lots of those ??? but for those that are available, most relationships are too low.. For a while my party was Shulk(leader), Reyn, Sharla, and while Shulk's relationship with the other two is good, Reyn <->Sharla is still neutral, and I would like to do their Heart to Heart as obviously something is going on between the two ;)
edit : gaf goes fast , thanks for the answers.

Diffense said:
lol
Some people who are involved with fansites are extremely/rabidly fanboyish.
I wouldn't be surprised if s/he felt a need to bash Xenoblade in order to justify NOA's decision to pass on it.

Stop mentioning it.
2rr1212.jpg

Huh, I convinced a friend of mine to order the game and it seems like pretty much every popular UK online shop (Amazon, Zavvi, TheHut, Bee etc.) is currently out of stock.

ramyeon

slaughterking said:
Huh, I convinced a friend of mine to order the game and it seems like pretty much every popular UK online shop (Amazon, Zavvi, TheHut, Bee etc.) is currently out of stock.
Game.co.uk are in stock. I ordered the CE last night and they'd shipped it within a few hours. It might be a bit more expensive than other places though.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
weeaboo said:
Holy crap, I think i just broke a chain of quests at Colony 9 with a bad decision. YES, there are decisions in some sidequest.

I gave the shield to the female soldier at Colony 9 who wanted to be the lieutenant. She lost a duel and now she's mad. Looks like she needed the sword instead of the shield, I must pay more attention :|

This was the decision I made. I think this happens regardless? Anyway, you still get to continue on through the quest chain regardless of which decision you choose. I think there are two, maybe three, more quests that pop up after this one. But they aren't until later in the game.

Ulthwe

I'm now ready to part towards Colony 6, having spent my first 9 hours just doing stuff around Colony 9. Man this missions are addicting! Trading too, you can find pretty good stuff from people you wouldn't expect
Hey kids how you doin'! You carrin' a big armor there, wanna trade?

I don't want to read the manual as to avoid potential spoilers (even character spoilers), so I have doubts regarding:

Arts
I've bought a couple of "books", then read them in the items menu. But when do they show up on your arts menu? There's one that just appeared after some time, I suppose it's because I fought some baddies and it popped, but I don't know which stat to track this.

Gems
I've unlocked the gems craft, and I "get" that you've got to combine them to get 100% or (preferably) more. But what happens when you get something like "Ability 135% / Cure 64%" and proceed to create the gem? I've gotten both flasks and gems, but don't know the reasoning behind. Also, what's with Shulk and Reyn on the owen, shouting back and forth? What's low, medium and high flame? Can I affect this somehow (other than choosing one or the other as officials)?

(I'm playing in spanish so there might be some mistranslations here or there)

slaughterking said:
Sounds good for the game!

I'm not really into the Sales Age thing, but I'm quite curious to see what the combined efforts of UK + International sales will do for a niche game on a slowing platform. I still think it'll (sadly) only hit the 30-40 range in the UK Individual Format charts, but I guess we'll find out within the next couple of hours.

watershed

Banned
Damnit, I tried as many UK online retailers as I could find and either found that it was sold out or that they wouldn't accept my order (US address or credit card or something). I'm a bit burned out of trying at the moment so I'm gonna put getting this game on hold. Hopefully NOA will see the success Xenoblades is having in Europe and greenlight a small release in time for the holidays.

squall23

Ulthwe said:
Arts
I've bought a couple of "books", then read them in the items menu. But when do they show up on your arts menu? There's one that just appeared after some time, I suppose it's because I fought some baddies and it popped, but I don't know which stat to track this.

Gems
I've unlocked the gems craft, and I "get" that you've got to combine them to get 100% or (preferably) more. But what happens when you get something like "Ability 135% / Cure 64%" and proceed to create the gem? I've gotten both flasks and gems, but don't know the reasoning behind. Also, what's with Shulk and Reyn on the owen, shouting back and forth? What's low, medium and high flame? Can I affect this somehow (other than choosing one or the other as officials)?
You only get arts by levelling. The books you get are so that you can upgrade those arts even further.

As for the gem thing, if another stat is lower than 100% that means you have a chance during the crafting process to get that stat to 100% thus making them gem, whereas anything at or above 100% prior to the crafting process is a guaranteed gem.

Dunbar

I'm trying to order from Game.co.uk but for some reason it won't accept my credit card. Never had that happen before. It's also adding 4.95 in charges that I can't figure out. 29.99 game + 4.95 Rest of World shipping shouldn't equal 39.89. Maybe I'm not meant to play this game.

sdornan

The action cutscenes in this game are really well-done. Usually I get bored by drawn-out JRPG-style action sequences and have to fight the urge to skip them, but the ones in this game have really great camerawork that manages to keep things interesting.

wackojackosnose said:
Sounds good for the game!

I'm not really into the Sales Age thing, but I'm quite curious to see what the combined efforts of UK + International sales will do for a niche game on a slowing platform. I still think it'll (sadly) only hit the 30-40 range in the UK Individual Format charts, but I guess we'll find out within the next couple of hours.
you'll be surprised.

Eusis

Dunbar said:
I'm trying to order from Game.co.uk but for some reason it won't accept my credit card. Never had that happen before. It's also adding 4.95 in charges that I can't figure out. 29.99 game + 4.95 Rest of World shipping shouldn't equal 39.89. Maybe I'm not meant to play this game.
I emailed them about it, I'll see how that goes. I think it's that anti-fraud stuff getting in the way, probably due to ordering from the US.

Ulthwe said:
I'm now ready to part towards Colony 6, having spent my first 9 hours just doing stuff around Colony 9. Man this missions are addicting! Trading too, you can find pretty good stuff from people you wouldn't expect

I don't want to read the manual as to avoid potential spoilers (even character spoilers), so I have doubts regarding:

Arts

Gems

Arts: Those books allow you to upgrade your arts beyond the four initial levels. Unlocking arts has nothing to do with those books -- that just happens as your character progresses.

Gems: You need at least 100% for any "ability" to create a gem at the end of the crafting process. So if you start with "Ability X 135% / Ability Y 64%" you will definitely get an "Ability X" gem since that one is already over 100%. If you can also get "Ability Y" over 100% during the crafting process you will get that gem, too.
Getting any ability to reach 200% means you will get a gem of a higher rank than you normally would.
Not even reaching 100% means you wont get a gem but a cylinder (or "flask" as you call it), which you can then use for crafting again.
High flame makes one single ability stronger during the process, a middle flame is growing multiple abilities equally and the low flame is for creating cylinders, which you can use to keep <100% abilities.

Antagon

Ulthwe said:

Arts

Gems

For gems: during crafting you can get several flames. The strong flame increases a percentage, the gentle flame the number of flasks you can get and the one in between both (but less for each). If a percentage is over 100% at the end of crafting you'll create a gem, if it's below you'll create a flask that you can use again for crafting gems.

If you get the percentage over 200% you'll create a higher lvl gem and over 300% you'll create two of the higher lvl gems. This is what you should aim for. The best thing I've found is to try and create flasks just under 100% and then combine two of those and use Shulk as the shooter and Reyn as the other. It helps to have good affinity as you get more crafting turns.

Wichu

I'm stuck on the
Arachno Queen
boss (currently level 12). The army of minions wears me down really fast. Maybe I should got back and do some more quests; I've only beaten two or three so far...

Also,
Fiora's
death was pretty powerful. That character resembles one of my friends, and being unable to stop it despite
knowing it was going to happen
was harsh (though maybe a bit clichéd). At least I now empathise more with
Shulk's quest to avenge her

Speaking of
the Monado's
ability to
see the future
, I like how it's an important factor in both the story and gameplay. It's just a shame it happens to me too often :p

Fake edit: My manual (UK standard edition) doesn't have a character page; the only bit that's slightly spoilerish is the 'Powers of the Monado' section. It's only minor spoilers, and they're quite early-game (I've already seen it at level 12). One of the screenshots in the 'Party' section has a character I don't have yet, but it's difficult to make out anything other than their hair colour. If you don't scrutinise that screenshot very closely, I guess you'll be fine.

Dunbar

Eusis said:
I emailed them about it, I'll see how that goes. I think it's that anti-fraud stuff getting in the way, probably due to ordering from the US.
Well, post if you get a response, I guess. I've tried 3 different payment methods and it rejected them all. I thought plenty of people ordered from Game with no problems?

Does affinity between party members decrease over time if they aren't in the active party? So if I max out a relationship between two characters and then bench one, will their affinity slowly decrease?

Roxas said:
number 7 in the UK charts (all formats)

Well, wow.

watershed

Banned
Number 7 on the charts? That's very impressive and unexpected. Come on NOA release this game so I can play it and end this classic rpg bender that I'm on. I'm currently replaying FF9, FF12, contemplating buying FF Tactics for iphone, and Chrono Cross for the ps1. Nintendo let me give you my money instead!

Edit: also replaying TWEWY at the same time. Such a great game but damn Neku is emo and annoying.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
slaughterking said:

Its the second best selling Wii game on Amazon.de and rank 72 for all games and the third best Wii game for Amazon.co.uk, but rank 13 for all videogames, so I'd say its not doing too bad.

artwalknoon said:
Number 7 on the charts? That's very impressive and unexpected. Come on NOA release this game so I can play it and end this classic rpg bender that I'm on. I'm currently replaying FF9, FF12, contemplating buying FF Tactics for iphone, and Chrono Cross for the ps1. Nintendo let me give you my money instead!

And that's the all format's chart, it'll no doubt place higher on the individual formats chart.

If Reggie wasn't lying about the EU sales determining a US release, then they've got no excuses left now. It's off to a fantastic start.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nuclear Muffin said:
And that's the all format's chart, it'll no doubt place higher on the individual formats chart.

If Reggie wasn't lying about the EU sales determining a US release, then they've got no excuses left now.

He could still say "Unfortunately, we determined that every potential buyer already imported from the EU. Case Closed."

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

If Reggie wasn't lying about the EU sales determining a US release, then they've got no excuses left now.
Well Reggie's wording wasn't that specific I think he just said he'd be watching the EU release closely. I stopped having faith in NoA long ago. Also if Xenoblades were to be released in NA as a result of the EU sales how long do you think it would take? Cuz I'm gonna be leaving the country in a few months.

Let's be honest here: NoA hems and haws and avoids saying anything definitive, ever. It's one of the things we were frustrated about shortly after E3 when they wouldn't even give a hard 'no'.

But! Now's not the time for that.

Thanks Europe (OK, just the U.K. for now) for getting this game. It proves that there is still a sizable market for this kind of experience, and that's a good thing -- regardless of where you happen to live.

sphinx

the piano man
well.... *sigh

Last page I offered myself to buy retail copies of xenoblade here in Germany where I live and send it to you in US and CANADA. I erased the post cause I didn't know that U.K. prices were so damn low, thus making my offer look silly.

But now that internet sites are begining to be out of stuck and/or acting weird regarding credit cards, I thought I should remind you all that I can still do this if anyone wants me to.

U.K. prices are absolutely unbeatable in Europe and you'll pay more for a retail german copy, there's no way around it but it may do the trick if you are having too many troubles getting the game. for more infos you can PM' me.

(I have sending imports to other gaffer in the buy/sell/thread 2001 thread in the community forum so I can be trusted)

Toma

SecretMoblin said:
Let's be honest here: NoA hems and haws and avoids saying anything definitive, ever. It's one of the things we were frustrated about shortly after E3 when they wouldn't even give a hard 'no'.

But! Now's not the time for that.

Thanks Europe (OK, just the U.K. for now) for getting this game. It proves that there is still a sizable market for this kind of experience, and that's a good thing -- regardless of where you happen to live.

French arent too bad either. Number 1 Wii game on Amazon.fr and rank 3 in overall games.

Number 3 in Wii games for Italy and 68 for all games.

sphinx said:
well.... *sigh

Last page I offered myself to buy retail copies of xenoblade here in Germany where I live and send it to you in US and CANADA. I erased the post cause I didn't know that U.K. prices were so damn low, thus making my offer look silly.

Yeah we got shitloads of copies sitting around in the stores.

I still think it'll (sadly) only hit the 30-40 range in the UK Individual Format charts

wackojackosnose said:
you should wait until the full surprise.

French arent too bad either. Number 1 Wii game on Amazon.fr and rank 3 in overall games.

Number 3 in Wii games for Italy and 68 for all games.
Amazon isn't really that much of a criteria for many countries at all, Italy included. Italy charts are dominated by Nintendo games (last week all top 10 were Nintendo games both in Germany and Italy), while you can't observe the trend in their respective Amazon website.

watershed

Banned
sphinx said:
well.... *sigh

But now that internet sites are begining to be out of stuck and/or acting weird regarding credit cards, I thought I should remind you all that I can still do this if anyone wants me to.

U.K. prices are absolutely unbeatable in Europe and you'll pay more for a retail german copy, there's no way around it but it may do the trick if you are having too many troubles getting the game. for more infos you can PM' me.

(I have sending imports to other gaffer in the buy/sell/thread 2001 thread in the community forum so I can be trusted)
I will definitely keep your offer in mind. Do you happen to know how much the game costs in US dollars in Germany?

beje

Banned
Looks like the popularity of the game took NoE by surprise and ShopTo have confirmed they're now awaiting a reprint and restock. Let's hope it's nation-wide and not just in the UK.

(By the way, I'll have mine delivered most likely today :D)

herod said:
How many sales does it take to make it to number 7 in the UK chart in the middle of August?
don't know about all formats, but individual:
BKK said:
Week 30, 2011 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) WII Zumba Fitness (505 Games) <36K
02 (05) WII Just Dance 2: Extra Songs (Ubisoft) <14K
03 (02) 360 Call Of Juarez: The Cartel (Ubisoft) <8.5K
04 (__) PC The Sims 3: Town Life Stuff (Electronic Arts) <7.5K
05 (04) PS3 Call Of Juarez: The Cartel (Ubisoft) <5.5K
06 (__) NDS Cars 2 (Disney Interactive Studios) - <4.5K
07 (03) WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
08 (18) WII Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
09 (11) 360 Dirt 3 (Codemasters) - 3.9K
10 (__) WII Cars 2 (Disney Interactive Studios)

it has probably sold 8-10K(if number 3). not much, but it is only UK and one week, I expect the game to have done pretty well at least in France and probably Germany.

Diffense

artwalknoon said:
Damnit, I tried as many UK online retailers as I could find and either found that it was sold out or that they wouldn't accept my order (US address or credit card or something). I'm a bit burned out of trying at the moment so I'm gonna put getting this game on hold. Hopefully NOA will see the success Xenoblades is having in Europe and greenlight a small release in time for the holidays.

I preordered from Game.co.uk over the phone after my online order triggered "fraud protection".
They will honor oversees orders but it seems that the online transaction raises flags for some types of charge cards.

number 7 in the UK charts (all formats)

That's decent itsn't it?
I don't think Reggie's statements are of any value.
But I am happy the game may do well; the develoeprs deserve it.

Toma

artwalknoon said:
I will definitely keep your offer in mind. Do you happen to know how much the game costs in US dollars in Germany?

The cheapest I've seen was 45€ - about 65$

lochnesssnowman said:
#3 in the individual listings :D
let's serve some crows for our stupid friends at Nintendo.

Fucking idiots, it could have been even bigger and make much more enthusiasm, if they hadn't shit all over the operation rainfall.

Top Bottom