• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

dock

The first city is overwhelming. I feel as though I've been dropped in the deep end, and that I ought to have lots of experience playing JRPGs. Not necessarily a bad thing to get things moving, but it's slightly overwhelming.

Social link system is interesting.

arit

No inventory space... how safe is it to sell items as in "you will never ever need it for a new quest 5 minutes after you've sold it"?

wrowa

Thanks @ mc lem and Blazing Darkness. I actually didn't realize that Bionis' Leg has
two levels
, that's why I've never seen Spiral Valley on the map.

But even then, it's easy to miss. That "boss" is tiny.

RPGCrazied said:
So if I get this today(I seriously doubt it. :( ) Any tips for just starting out?
Don't forget: It's normal to feel overwhelmed during the first hour.

RPGCrazied said:
So if I get this today(I seriously doubt it. :( ) Any tips for just starting out?
dont try to do every single side quest, it will wear you out. play it like a MMO: get a bunch of quests, go out, explore, kill monsters.

wrowa

arit said:
No inventory space... how safe is it to sell items as in "you will never ever need it for a new quest 5 minutes after you've sold it"?
How far are you into the game? Normally
you get a vision
if you collected an item that you will need later on in the game, don't you?

wrowa

Twilight Princess said:
dont try to do every single the side quest, it will wear you out. play it like a MMO: get a bunch of quests, go out, explore, kill monsters.
Objection!

The sidequests and the citizens of Colony 9 are one of the best things so far in the game. Who hasn't done them serioisly missed something.

Zafir

arit said:
If you already have enough for a future quest, then you'll get a vision when you pick up the last item. Otherwise, you won't know. Honestly, so far I've just been selling all unused equipment and weapons instead.
wrowa said:
How far are you into the game? Normally
you get a vision
if you collected an item that you will need later on in the game, don't you?
Only on the last one you pick up.
wrowa said:
Objection!

The sidequests and the citizens of Colony 9 are one of the best things so far in the game. Who hasn't done them serioisly missed something.
I think the problem is, he is partly right and so are you. Theres a sizable amount of no-named NPC quests, which have very little story to them and you're just killing or finding stuff. On the other hand, the named npc quests tend to have quite a bit of story to them, but depending on where you are, they're often in fewer numbers than the no-named npc ones.

arit

How far are you into the game? Normally you get a vision if you collected an item that you will need later on in the game, don't you?

Valak Mountain, there are some tagged as quest items, I just do not know if the game shows every eventual quest item(which would be good) or only part of them( which results in hoarding, because they could be...).

Bulzeeb

ivysaur12 said:
UK numbers:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/873072-nintendomination-in-uk-charts-as-xenoblade-makes-top-three

UK individual formats chart – 20 August
1 (1) Zumba Fitness (Wii)
2 (5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D (3DS)
3 (-) Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
4 (7) Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
5 (2) Just Dance 2: Extra Songs (Wii)
6 (6) Just Dance 2 (Wii)
7 (10)Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
8 (24)Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360)
9 (9) Cars 2 (DS)
10(3)DiRT 3 (PS3)

UK multiformat charts - 20 August
1 (1) Zumba Fitness (Wii/360/PS3)
2 (2) Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean (Wii/360/PS3/PC/DS/PSP/3DS)
3 (3) Cars 2 (Wii/360/PS3/DS)
4 (13)The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D (3DS)
5 (5) FIFA 11 (PS2/Wii/360/PS3/PC/DS/PSP)
6 (6) Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Wii/360/PS3/PC/DS/PSP)
7 (-) Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
8 (4) DiRT 3 (360/PS3/PC)
9 (12)Brink (360/PS3/PC)
10(10)L.A. Noire (360/PS3)

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...ts-as-xenoblade-makes-top-three#ixzz1VlIYeZuN

It probably would have been higher if there weren't the shortages.

great news then, I wonder if NOA will actually say something about it =/

bubnbob

Banned
MYE said:
Lots of grinding?

Serious question. Only played 2 hours of WoW once.

Grinding is so non-obtrusive in this game it doesnt even feel like grinding at all. Just fight whatever comes your way. XP scales per level, so if you are too strong, enemies drop crap XP. So move on. Do quests for easy XP.

Koren

Jaded Alyx said:
How is this being advertised? Any TV ads? Even Disaster got a few spots in the UK.
I was surprised to see many, many TV ads for the game in France.

But I don't understand Nintendo, I went on the launch day to shop for the game, three shops were out of stock, and most of the others didn't have the bundle (I bought the last one in a my 5th store, and saw none of them in subsequent stores, except the one in the supermarket near my house). All sellers said that the game had a very short allocation, which seems stupid with many TV ads...

Got (party members/locations)
Melia and Riki today, but I practically ran straight through Makna Forest to get to the SUPER CUTE FUZZY Nopon Frontier Village (in which I gained 3 levels just wandering around), so I haven't seen any of them in combat yet. Even Riki's initial stats are high. I do want to try out the Dunban/Melia/Riki combination, but with the addition of the Spike system I image that I'm going to need Shulk and the Monado for at least the rest of Makna Forest. So I'm torn between which of the 3 to use alongside Shulk... Edging towards Melia/Shulk/Riki at the moment.

I did however swap Dunban for Reyn for a little bit and it definitely shows that you don't need a high-HP tank for everything. Although Dunban has much lower HP by comparison, even in his starter equipment he was still dishing out the damage quickly and avoiding a lot of attacks.

Got a million new quests to do though, so I'm going to spend tomorrow completing them before I move on to the next boss. The Nopon sure do have a blood lust.

I don't get the relationship between the Makna Forest and the Esomething Sea though. The sea is directly above the forest? How does that work?

MYE

bubnbob said:
Grinding is so non-obtrusive in this game it doesnt even feel like grinding at all. Just fight whatever comes your way. XP scales per level, so if you are too strong, enemies drop crap XP. So move on. Do quests for easy XP.

Thats good news :)

bubnbob

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Got a million new quests to do though, so I'm going to spend tomorrow completing them before I move on to the next boss.

I don't get the relationship between the Makna Forest and the Esomething Sea though. The sea is directly above the forest? How does that work?

You'll see

Alrus

My crystal inventory is completely full. I guess I'll do some gem crafting for a while :(

BlazingDarkness said:
Does anyone know of someone who will trade a Sirius Anemone? They can be found in Colony 6

That item can fuck itself, I spend about an hour running back and forth to colony 6 to find it :( Tried trading about every NPC I could meet and none of them had it :( Ended up finding one on a platform right of the entrance to the colony base... And I still need one to complete the collectopaedia :/

bubnbob

Banned
MYE said:
Thats good news :)

I should have mentioned that you do quests just by killing enemies alone (like a typical MMO). So you get regular XP, plus any quest XP that comes your way. Not to mention just finding Locations and Landmarks (warp zones)

Reknoc

CruxisMana said:
FUCK LIFE. I'M RETIRING TO BECOME A NOPON AND LIVE IN FRONTIER VILLAGE.

But would Nopons be as adorable as they are if you yourself was one? That's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Decided to break the mold and try out a different party instead of the typical 3
Shulk/Riki/Melia is working pretty well, the lack of a proper healer is made up for by how fast things tend to die. Though the forest boss was a little on the tough side

wrowa said:
Objection!

i completely agree. i was just saying, dont overdo them when you are just starting out. you can always come back later during story breaks.

Effect

Bulzeeb said:
great news then, I wonder if NOA will actually say something about it =/
Just so they can twist the knife even more. I like that all the great reviews just makes NoA look worse and worse. Good sales again helps as well. If I didn't have issue ordering I would most likely have the game now but can't be bothered it seems to give my bank a heads up and let the order go through. Just annoyed. That an I have this false hope that NoA will pull it's head out of it's ass or NCL will force it out for them and make them release the game.

After the 3DS the Wii U will most likely be coming later rather then sooner. So that means the Wii's life has to be extended. They can either release games to lead into the Wii U or do what they've done before and release nothing. That NCL and NoE have decided to release games makes me hope, maybe pointlessly, that NCL will make NoA release games.

Reknoc said:
But would Nopons be as adorable as they are if you yourself was one? That's not a risk I'm willing to take.

You raise a good point...

Reknoc said:
Decided to break the mold and try out a different party instead of the typical 3
Shulk/Riki/Melia is working pretty well, the lack of a proper healer is made up for by how fast things tend to die. Though the forest boss was a little on the tough side

I'm gonna try out that combination as well. Glad to hear that it works.

Effect said:
Just so they can twist the knife even more. I like that all the great reviews just makes NoA look worse and worse. Good sales again helps as well. If I didn't have issue ordering I would most likely have the game now but can't be bothered it seems to give my bank a heads up and let the order go through. Just annoyed. That an I have this false hope that NoA will pull it's head out of it's ass or NCL will force it out for them and make them release the game.

After the 3DS the Wii U will most likely be coming later rather then sooner. So that Wii's life has to be extended. They can either release games to lead into the Wii U or do what they've done before and release nothing. That NCL and NoE have decided to release games makes me hope, maybe pointlessly, that NCL will make NoA release games.

NCL should've mandated its release to begin with...

Also I just checked Nintendo's Facebook, seems the whole campaign is still going on lol.

Alrus said:
That item can fuck itself, I spend about an hour running back and forth to colony 6 to find it :( Tried trading about every NPC I could meet and none of them had it :( Ended up finding one on a platform right of the entrance to the colony base... And I still need one to complete the collectopaedia :/

Is the platform at Hope Farm?

Effect

Bel Marduk said:
NCL should've mandated its release to begin with...

Also I just checked Nintendo's Facebook, seems the whole campaign is still going on lol.

Very true. There is no reason why any major game form the platform owner shouldn't be pushed out in all areas. That NCL didn't mandate this when it has a design style geared toward western gamers still makes no sense at all to me. If it was a budget game then yeah I could understand them not putting out. This a major 1st party title.

If I can work out my payment issues I'm not going to double dip and get an American release if it happens to come though.

I think they've all but said a few weeks ago that they were ignoring their Facebook page.

Reknoc

CruxisMana said:
You raise a good point...

I'm gonna try out that combination as well. Glad to hear that it works.

The the only problem I have is that
Riki
is not very good at getting aggro, but it does give me a good excuse to use shadow eye. If you position it right you can also get a double team back attack as well.

MYE

For those balls deep into the game; whats the consensus on the British VO?

What little i saw sounded pretty charming and fresh, for this type of game.

MYE said:

I'm not as far as some other people (around 17 hours now) and I think it's fantastic.

Each character has a different accent and they all manage to pull it off.

bubnbob

Banned
MYE said:

I'm roughly 3/4 in the game and the voices are great. The only (arguably) bad one is Reyn, but his accent is super thick compared to the others.

JimboJones

Voice acting is good in cutscenes and the like but there is too much talking in battles for my liking, especially because it repeats the same stuff over and over again, I never understand why a lot of JRPG's do this.

I like the tension between (characters/accents)
Reyn and Melia over the differences between his relatively common accent and her BBC English. And Reyn's taking the piss out of the way Riki speaks/acts.

Varion

ivysaur12 said:
UK numbers:
ivysaur12 said:
Amazon.co.uk only has one copy of Xenoblade left in stock for all of you guys looking to get in on that.
Goddamn, the gamers of this country doing me proud. Hoped it would do well, didn't quite expect it to do this well.

Can't wait to start playing today, got some of my favourite scenes coming up at the end of the Sea section of the story.

Top Bottom