• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what I need the most often closest to the center, and things I need less often (e.g. TP-based skills or defensive moves) on the periphery.

...I have no idea what Overdrive is though so maybe this isn't helpful.
Finish
Chapter 5
and you'll have access to a combo mode similar to the one in the original XC. You'll need to build your TP meter to 3000 to make it happen.

Once activated you can build your combo counter with same color-coded arts.

Blues1990

With regards to the Squad Tasks, how can you view the objectives? I'm out of Blade Points, and I want to farm for some items to build some sweet weapons for my character.

Also, is there a way to find them with that glowing ball?

Finish
Chapter 5
and you'll have access to a combo mode similar to the one in the original XC. You'll need to build your TP meter to 3000 to make it happen.

Oh cool, thanks! That actually explains something I keep forgetting to ask about too (combos), so hooray!

XBCX is the real density.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
If you sell some of those unique mission rewards, is there any way to get them back? Or would it be better to just never sell them. (They're starting to clutter things up something fierce.)
Besides getting rid of clutter, is it worthwhile to sell things anyway? I'm not exactly rolling in money, but doesn't seem like you should have to sell uniques to get by.

Shun

What's the best way to use a light skell? Is there like some evasive build or something?

A ranged build would take the most advantage of the speed and evasion. You could do melee but you have little health and you would die faster if you're reckless.

The Amdusias is probably the best Melee tank. It has so many options for melee damage.

Zekes!

Anyone come across any good explanations of the damage types in the game? Is there anything in game that I'm missing?

I've been mostly sticking with physical based damage because it gives me the highest attack every time, but I know there's probably better options that I'm missing because I don't understand what damage is good against what.

Kyzon

A ranged build would take the most advantage of the speed and evasion. You could do melee but you have little health and you would die faster if you're reckless.

The Amdusias is probably the best Melee tank. It has so many options for melee damage.

I really just wanna hit people with that giant sword, but still be a gangster ass rabbit. Hmm

I'm really conflicted on this game, hoping someone can give me some constructive advice.

I've been gobbling up info on this game, I mean it just looks amazing. I love the way it looks, I love the way everything has such a distinctive appearance and it looks like I could totally get lost in it. I've watched Giantbomb's quicklook, which was hilarious, and it looks grindy, but I'm still hopeful.

I do have not have a ton of time to play games, I have 3 little ones, but my 5 year old plays with me or watches (sometimes I have 3 to 4 hours a night).

Am I trying to get into a super grind? From what I've read, it is grindy. I read an example that they want you to gather resources early in the game, but give you no hint or idea of where the resources are and leave you to find it for yourself. Things like that are going to drive me insane.

It just looks so damn good.....

actually the google doc says there's a place called ncoast cave in primordia. Need to see what this is.
That's probably the Molten Hollow?/lava place with all the flowers and honkbirds and bees...and anglerfish. Typical lava creatures.
I can't find it. :( I can't find anything when googling either which is really weird.
Any additional details on what you're trying to find(quest, more specific name) would help us figure it out.

El Odio

Banned
If you sell some of those unique mission rewards, is there any way to get them back? Or would it be better to just never sell them. (They're starting to clutter things up something fierce.)

Funny timing... I just Skyrim'd my way up there without a Skell and took a screen to prove it. (I've really gotta disable the HUD and center the cam for this stuff...)
4b1eEtn.jpg
It's a gorgeous view from up there. But yeah, disabling the hud makes for great shots but is a damn chore to do everytime. It's the main reason I don't take many screenshots.

I love the artifact(?) placement in the world. (Y'know, those yellow things on the map.) There are some that can be legitimately puzzling to approach.
Besides getting rid of clutter, is it worthwhile to sell things anyway? I'm not exactly rolling in money, but doesn't seem like you should have to sell uniques to get by.

Since the items sell for 0-100 credits from what I've seen so far, I'd say no.

I should try the filter button. I'm afraid, though.
Just a q?. Isnt this thread supposed to be closed by now? And go on to OT#2?
Not quite... Another 10k posts to go.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm really conflicted on this game, hoping someone can give me some constructive advice.

I've been gobbling up info on this game, I mean it just looks amazing. I love the way it looks, I love the way everything has such a distinctive appearance and it looks like I could totally get lost in it. I've watched Giantbomb's quicklook, which was hilarious, and it looks grindy, but I'm still hopeful.

I do have not have a ton of time to play games, I have 3 little ones, but my 5 year old plays with me or watches (sometimes I have 3 to 4 hours a night).

Am I trying to get into a super grind? From what I've read, it is grindy. I read an example that they want you to gather resources early in the game, but give you no hint or idea of where the resources are and leave you to find it for yourself. Things like that are going to drive me insane.

This game is a grind and a time sink. A damn good one. Not kid friendly.

Shun

I really just wanna hit people with that giant sword, but still be a gangster ass rabbit. Hmm

You can for casual use and to play around.

I was just speaking in terms of boss and tyrant fights where you need to abuse the game system to win. There are 10 frames, I have one especially fitted to have a 7 Sword System,

jwhit28

I know games have been described as single player mmorpg's before, but that description fits this game more than any other I can think of. I don't know if it's worth picking up if you don't have 60+ hours to throw at it.

Kenai

It will take a long time. it is meaty, it is grindy, there's no way around it.

That being said it's quite pretty so your kiddos might not mind watching. Lots of jurrasic park style giant animal moments and such.

Kyzon

You can for casual use and to play around.

I was just speaking in terms of boss and tyrant fights where you need to abuse the game system to win. There are 10 frames, I have one especially fitted to have a 7 Sword System,

I think Imma try that.
Swords and bows

This game is a grind and a time sink. A damn good one. Not kid friendly.

I know games have been described as single player mmorpg's before, but that description fits this game more than any other I can think of. I don't know if it's worth picking up if you don't have 60+ hours to throw at it.

It will take a long time. it is meaty, it is grindy, there's no way around it.

That being said it's quite pretty so your kiddos might not mind watching. Lots of jurrasic park style giant animal moments and such.
Alright thanks, so I guess the follow up question is, if I'm ok with the grind are you guys having fun with it?

Is it meeting your expectations? (I know that I'm in the OT thread, so that may be hard to be completely subjective and not HYPED about it)

Are you finding yourself thinking "Holy shit, I wish this would move along, I'm getting bored", or did they do a good job giving you the mini-rewards that a good MMO gives you to keep you coming back.

Vena

Amdusias or Mastama are for you then, the Mastama has more ranged options.

The light/medium frames are for ranged builds and maneuverability + low fuel consumption.

Also damn me, I have made zero story progress in two days. Been doing missions and affinities, and then just exploring the world.

Just finished Chapter 4 after a three day break.
Can someone remind me what I'm supposed to know about the Lifehold at this point? It's been a few days so I forgot. This whole time I thought it just meant capsules where humans were in stasis, but the way everyone was reacting to the aliens hunting it down made me think it was something more. Was that foreshadowing, or am I missing something I'm supposed to know by now? I would have Googled the answer, but I didn't want to risk being spoiled in case it was the former.

Dad

The game doesn't respect your time at all. If you aren't binge playing it like pretty much everyone here, you could go for days or even weeks without really engaging in any sort of main story progression

Alright thanks, so I guess the follow up question is, if I'm ok with the grind are you guys having fun with it?

Is it meeting your expectations? (I know that I'm in the OT thread, so that may be hard to be completely subjective and not HYPED about it)

Are you finding yourself thinking "Holy shit, I wish this would move along, I'm getting bored", or did they do a good job giving you the mini-rewards that a good MMO gives you to keep you coming back.
There are enough good things about it (I enjoy the combat the more I learn about it) to keep me playing, but I've been tempted to put it down for something else every once in a while. The only reason I haven't taken a break from it is because I don't think I'd come back to it.

Zekes!

Just finished Chapter 4 after a three day break.
Can someone remind me what I'm supposed to know about the Lifehold at this point? It's been a few days so I forgot. This whole time I thought it just meant capsules where humans were in stasis, but the way everyone was reacting to the aliens hunting it down made me think it was something more. Was that foreshadowing, or am I missing something I'm supposed to know by now? I would have Googled the answer, but I didn't want to risk being spoiled in case it was the former.

Beat Chapter 5

jwhit28

Is it meeting your expectations?

I love it. Every time I turn the game on I sit there for a couple of minutes thinking "okay what am I gonna try to get accomplished this time". There is no time I've felt bored with something, because there is so much stuff to get accomplished. You have to watch out for getting trapped in affinity quest but outside of that I've felt every minute I've spent with the game was worth it and entertaining. Even the embarrassing amount of time I've spent on the Fashion Gear screen.

Golnei

Beat Chapter 5

Even without the more imminent threat relayed there, I thought the idea was that the stasis pods contained the vast majority of the passengers - without them, they couldn't sustain any sort of population.

This is my biggest complaint so far actually. Forcing the avatar to be able to be every class (or every character to be a class that the avatar can be) really makes all of the characters lose uniqueness. Some, like L, really don't make sense as any of the classes and should have been something else.

Additionally, almost all of the characters are generic humans. Yeah if you get to know them they all have stories and some are pretty good. But their designs are almost all generic as hell. There are so many cool aliens in this game, and other than L really you don't get to use any of them! It really sucks. All these races and all these party members and pretty much all of them are humans.

It's a real disappointment.

Considering how flexible the avatar can become, I was okay with them abolishing unique classes - even if more could have been done with the party members' class variations to make them more unique, the tradeoff was largely worthwhile.

I definitely think they should have tried to vary the characters themselves, though. Along with one or two more non-human party members, they should have tried to differentiate the existing ones much more - age, race, anything. Even adding things like scars, burns, removed skin
(which would be assumed to be a prosthesis pre-chapter 5)
, hair or tattoos to their body textures; and paying more attention to keeping a wider variety of facial structures could have distinguished them from the avatars and each other; and giving their unique starting gear any sort of defining changes from the store-bought version - even just colour - would have helped as well.

Grexes just don't provide decent EXP anymore.

500-600 when they're like 7 levels above was great before, now it's just meh. What's the second easiest creature to kill that provides high exp like that?

I have two people in skells, 2 on foot. I'm class leveling up my new class to use psycho launchers so I gotta do ground combat.

Shun

500-600 when they're like 7 levels above was great before, now it's just meh. What's the second easiest creature to kill that provides high exp like that?

I have two people in skells, 2 on foot. I'm class leveling up my new class to use psycho launchers so I gotta do ground combat.

Get Beam Sabers, the ones that do Boosted Damage on Mechanics, Throw on a Shoulder Tackle, A Beam Gattling, and Maybe a E-Scythe and go kill all the robots in sight in seconds.

Dad

What's the fastest way to get ranks for a class? Does it just use the regular experience like your level?

I don't know exactly how class levels, but I kept aggroing all the mobs trying to complete a quest in the cave on the very northern tip of Primordia. I ended up going up 3 or 4 class ranks on accident

Siphorus

So this may be spoilers but I'm not quite sure, but before I go ahead at wasting my money later:
Do I have to buy my party member's Skells or are they awarded?

On a side note: I'm really enjoying this game, I haven't got this into a RPG in a long time, sometimes it legitimately feels like I'm playing a masterpiece, and other times it can be extremely frustrating (i.e. have to grind to do a quest since I'm slightly below level for the quest, yet I can't abandon it in order to switch to a affinity mission that is more my level).

Golnei

On a side note: I'm really enjoying this game, I haven't got this into a RPG in a long time, sometimes it legitimately feels like I'm playing a masterpiece, and other times it can be extremely frustrating (i.e. have to grind to do a quest since I'm slightly below level for the quest, yet I can't abandon it in order to switch to a affinity mission that is more my level).

There are a lot of baffling decisions like that in the game, but the way affinity quests are handled is the most notable. Since they can trap you in a cycle of torturous grinding often enough for saving beforehand and seeing if you need to reset to be the most common strategy suggested for them; it's ridiculous that an option to abandon them wasn't implemented. Even if you'd have to restart them from the beginning and any characters introduced in them unceremoniously disappeared, it'd be a better option than the one they have now.

Renewed

Did some more stuff before chapter 9.
Added Tree Clan Prone and Zaruboggans. Raised affinity, saw heart-to-hearts and did affinity missions. I think I really trimmed down my Normal Mission backlog, so I guess I'll continue the story tomorrow. Also noticed that during a heart-to-heart with Lao I didn't get a segment completion. So I guess I'll check out his heart-to-hearts for no reward lol

I can't find it. :( I can't find anything when googling either which is really weird.

If you're talking about Cervus (ケルウス), check entry 630 (Shaman ケルウス).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Salat in Primordia. They're usually around level 50 and are easy to kill. You know those dancing birds-type thingy.

OH

MY

FUCKING

GOD

THIS ENTIRE TIME I WAS DOING GROUND COMBAT WHILE MY FRIENDS DID SKELL. THINKING IT WAS BECAUSE I HAD TO LEVEL UP CLASS. AND LO AND BEHOLD CLASS LEVELS UP WITH YOU EVEN IF ON SKELL.

ALL THIS WASTED TIME HAHA. But I'm only getting like 30 points each major level up. As long as I can reach the last class it's fine since I was planning in staying in this blast fencer tree, but jesus good thing I didn't experiment too much early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom