• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else notice (Professor B quest line spoilers)
that the arms company Professor B starts is called Factory 1.21 as in 1.21 gigawatts. Nice little nod to Back to the Future.

aravuus

Alright, main story done! It was, like I expected, pretty damn weak. Chapter 12 was straight up hilarious with
stupid plot twists up the wazoo. Started feeling a bit like a parody of itself, going "but wait, there's more!" again and again. "This story never truly ends..." fuck outta here. The planet being special was easily the most intriguing part of the story, shame it's apparently more or less left to the player's imagination? Then again, I guess it'd be impossible to come up with an explanation to the planet magically pulling humanity and baddies towards it, translating everyone to each other in real time, maintaining everyone's consciousness etc etc without it feeling idiotic and far-fetched. Space magic will have to do.

But really, who cares? By the time I typed in that closing spoiler tag, I realized I don't really give a fuck. Gameplay is where it's at with this game! I still stand by my game of the generation (so far) comment, it really just was a shitload of fun to explore around, killing beasties etc, even if it did get grindy as hell at times.

I was very pleasantly surprised by all the side quests, too. Most of them were far more fun and interesting than anything the main plot had to offer, so in a sense it kinda felt like I was playing a CRPG. The side content is usually the meat of the game for me in that genre.

It's not gonna reach my top RPG lists since I still prefer a fun, intriguing, twisty linear story to whatever this was, and it has tons and tons of flaws and little things that annoyed the shit out of me, but... Yeah. Great game.

Shame about NG+, I don't really care about post-game content. The grindy nature also makes sure I'll probably never replay the game, unless a Wii U emulator comes out some day and I'll be able to fuck around with cheats. I'll try and do some of the more interesting affinity quests later, but for now I think I'll move on to Yakuza 4 and 5.

I don't think it has necessary to be a Mining Probe, at least I could not find anything about that it hast to be. Still sucks of course if you need one to complete a quest now. Fotunately I did a lot of probing relatively early while exploring and accumulated a lot of the minearls allready.

Ok di check real quick, It's under Social - Edit greetings after you press start.

awesome thanks dawg. Had to give my Geralt of Space Rivia some Witcher appropriate greetings.

About division spoil rewards... The best/most useful one is the free skell repair right? I mean, it's kind of an "oh shit" if your insurance runs out. The other items... I don't know, fuel, HP... that's nice, but I don't know how necessary those would be? I don't even know how to use items like that in battle (assuming you can).

Also, do any of the skells handle better on the ground? The starting one doesn't.. like it has slow turning to me, and I'm constantly having to get out of vehicle form to pick up items.

Oh and is there a quick and easy way to get fuel back for your skell besides just waiting around? And not including the items you can get with the spoils.

One more question.. lol. Do the unique/tyrant monsters ever drop any great gear? Most of the ones I kill I think drop holograms or something. I could be wrong about that. They give items, but usually not any gear. Even if I destroy appendages.

Dad

Alright, main story done! It was, like I expected, pretty damn weak. Chapter 12 was straight up hilarious with
stupid plot twists up the wazoo. Started feeling a bit like a parody of itself, going "but wait, there's more!" again and again. "This story never truly ends..." fuck outta here. The planet being special was easily the most intriguing part of the story, shame it's apparently more or less left to the player's imagination? Then again, I guess it'd be impossible to come up with an explanation to the planet magically pulling humanity and baddies towards it, translating everyone to each other in real time, maintaining everyone's consciousness etc etc without it feeling idiotic and far-fetched. Space magic will have to do.

But really, who cares? By the time I typed in that closing spoiler tag, I realized I don't really give a fuck. Gameplay is where it's at with this game! I still stand by my game of the generation (so far) comment, it really just was a shitload of fun to explore around, killing beasties etc, even if it did get grindy as hell at times.

I was very pleasantly surprised by all the side quests, too. Most of them were far more fun and interesting than anything the main plot had to offer, so in a sense it kinda felt like I was playing a CRPG. The side content is usually the meat of the game for me in that genre.

It's not gonna reach my top RPG lists since I still prefer a fun, intriguing, twisty linear story to whatever this was, and it has tons and tons of flaws and little things that annoyed the shit out of me, but... Yeah. Great game.

Shame about NG+, I don't really care about post-game content. The grindy nature also makes sure I'll probably never replay the game, unless a Wii U emulator comes out some day and I'll be able to fuck around with cheats. I'll try and do some of the more interesting affinity quests later, but for now I think I'll move on to Yakuza 4 and 5.

Can you keep playing after completing the mainquest?

Chazbc24

Neo Member
4qMYqMD.jpg

another pic of my guys...

Ayra, Eltshan, Sigurd and Tiltyu

When I access the segment map on the game pad, the main music stops even though on my main screen, nothing really has changed and I can still fight stuff normally. How do I prevent it from stopping sound while viewing maps?

Any tips you guys can give me? I'm new to this series and I thought the combat would be similar to a Tales game, but it does not. I'm pretty much just having fun wandering around the map fighting low level enemies, but need some tips on trying to fight higher level ones and other things.

Is there any way to access the segment map with the Pro Controller? I can't figure out a way, and even with the Gamepad directly next to me it's far too small to read/use and a total hassle.

Hugstable

Banned
On the segment map for the big zones, I understand what all the symbols mean, but how do I find out what quests and things I need to do for each segment? I can figure the Titans out cause I just need to look for the Titan, but I can't figure out how to get gold shields on most of my other segments.

Dineren

Banned
On the segment map for the big zones, I understand what all the symbols mean, but how do I find out what quests and things I need to do for each segment? I can figure the Titans out cause I just need to look for the Titan, but I can't figure out how to get gold shields on most of my other segments.

Hopefully someone knows of a way, but as far as I know there isn't a way to tell which specific quest you need to do.

Diablos54

Just did what I assumed would be a standard normal mission, ended up having to sneak into a level 40 prone base, try and rescue some people, find I need to kill a level 19 in the middle of a bunch of 40's and get back to the captives! Took a while but it was great.

Dad

Sometimes you'll get a tip from nameless NPCs with yellow smiley faces above their heads for what to do in a specific segment. Otherwise you're on your own

Chazbc24

Neo Member
Well forget this game then.

the gamepad saves this game from being 50% stuck in menus. now its only like 25% haha

seriously though, just play with the pro with the pad on a table in your direct view. its very convenient having the hud in your eyesight as apposed to looking down all the time.

Parfait

Who the FUCK thought the third chapter 12 fight was a good idea

Literally ruined my entire day, holy shit. fucking dumb. Whoever thought this was a good design needs to get their face rearranged.

Fuck. I can't even save, but that's probably a good thing. I guess I have to just redo the entire last 2 fights which were already pain in the asses.

the gamepad saves this game from being 50% stuck in menus. now its only like 25% haha

seriously though, just play with the pro with the pad on a table in your direct view. its very convenient having the hud in your eyesight as apposed to looking down all the time.

Yeah except the hud on that gamepad is tiny as hell and to use any of the functions I have to pick up the gamepad, totally negating the pro controller.

Sometimes you'll get a tip from nameless NPCs with yellow smiley faces above their heads for what to do in a specific segment. Otherwise you're on your own

I really don't like the way they did the nameless NPCs random tips thing. You can't even get them to show up when you are on your skell either. There's a lot of weird design decisions with this game. I'm enjoying it, but still..

random25

Any tips you guys can give me? I'm new to this series and I thought the combat would be similar to a Tales game, but it does not. I'm pretty much just having fun wandering around the map fighting low level enemies, but need some tips on trying to fight higher level ones and other things.

Press the R analog stick for lock-on. Should be helpful when destroying appendages or certain enemy parts. Hold R shoulder button then press Up in the directional button for concentrated fire. This helps when things get rowdy, like mobs start coming at you. You can also run and jump while you are in battle mode, so that will help in going to different level of terrains when you want to attack from above, quick approach to use melee attacks, or just escape when you think you can't win the battle. And of course the Soul Voice is really important as it is the quickest way to heal and boost morale (following your teammate's suggestion, or the B prompt that appears on screen).

Slathe

Anyone able to confirm if primordia FN site 109 and 110 both require a flight module? I believe one of them is out on a pillar in the middle of the northern ocean, and the other is kind of right in the middle of the map just north of NLA.

Thanks.

WarAdept

Are the size of the enemies relative to their stats? Because I'm running around at the beginning of Chapter 3 with Elma/Lin/Irina/Gwin/HB at level 20+ and this Xerneas-esque tree deer in the swampy area was far stronger than it's supposed level (13 or so).

I nearly died because I was just spamming arts. And then I found another unique next to him around my size and it died in about 15 seconds.

Astra

yes and no.

I have 3 members in my team in skells but was also severely overleveled. But I did a mission and a level 50 mob appeared, 1-shot all of our level 30 skells.

Oh for sure, I haven't attempted to fight any large level 50s yet. Though a Tyrant several levels above me, and a little bigger than our Skells appeared, and we demolished it.
I was disappointed, because I like the battle music for Tyrants.

Are the size of the enemies relative to their stats? Because I'm running around at the beginning of Chapter 3 with Elma/Lin/Irina/Gwin/HB at level 20+ and this Xerneas-esque tree deer in the swampy area was far stronger than it's supposed level (13 or so).

I nearly died because I was just spamming arts. And then I found another unique next to him around my size and it died in about 15 seconds.

Yeah, the larger enemies definitely hit way harder, and have a lot more HP since they're meant to be fought in Skells.
I got beat down pretty quickly fighting one such enemy that was lower than my level.

Oh for sure, I haven't attempted to fight any large level 50s yet. Though a Tyrant several levels above me, and a little bigger than our Skells appeared, and we demolished it.
I was disappointed, because I like the battle music for Tyrants.

there are missions that don't allow you to use skells anyways, so I'm still keeping my characters leveled up.

kinda sad that max class exp is only 30 per enemy... but i think i still can max all classes first before getting all characters to max level
Who the FUCK thought the third chapter 12 fight was a good idea

Literally ruined my entire day, holy shit. fucking dumb. Whoever thought this was a good design needs to get their face rearranged.

Fuck. I can't even save, but that's probably a good thing. I guess I have to just redo the entire last 2 fights which were already pain in the asses.

lemme guess....
your ground gear is crap? haha

NeonZ

Huh.

dtkWHrV.jpg

Hope's Affinity Quest's location was really unexpected, although I guess considering the areas with low level enemies involved the developers knew what they were doing.

There's also the treasure areas. But,yes, the affinity quests and quests panels basically can't be done just because you want. You'll need to run into those specific quests almost completely randomly most of the time, although sometimes there's some extra information about them that can be gotten from generic npcs.

Parfait

kinda sad that max class exp is only 30 per enemy... but i think i still can max all classes first before getting all characters to max level

lemme guess....
your ground gear is crap? haha

I'm 60 and i have most of the best stuff i can buy. I finally got that trash done after about 14 tries, and I lived with just 3 hp.

Now I got more fights to do but at least these are reasonable and I can just do my 50k +combos.

quick question if skells don't get higher than level 60, how the hell are you supposed to beat those super special enemies like the god robot dude in the middle of the lake?

quick question if skells don't get higher than level 60, how the hell are you supposed to beat those super special enemies like the god robot dude in the middle of the lake?

should be by using galactic-tier equips...
or just steamroll most of them using lvl90 ares
I'm 60 and i have most of the best stuff i can buy. I finally got that trash done after about 14 tries, and I lived with just 3 hp.

Now I got more fights to do but at least these are reasonable and I can just do my 50k +combos.

ahh ok i got the wrong boss... yeah that one really hits hard

MechaX

I was on GameFAQs trying to find information about combo arts, and some asshole just spoiled a few major, major twists in the game right in his topic title.

Man, fuck GameFAQs.

That reminds me of the helicopter in Noctilum quest where you have to find a Spherical EM motor. I didn't come back to that quest for 30 or so hours because I went searching, forgot about the quest, found it and looked through my quest log to see what could be completed.

These days I happen to have the items on hand about 95% of the time since I do exploration of everything possible first. For basic quests, I pick ones that I have all the items and reap the rewards. For normal quests (so far just Primordia, Noctilum and Oblivia), I've explored so much that I can go right over to the necessary place and spend 2 minutes. I also just don't fill in Collectopedia until I have multiples (ie. recent normal quest where I only had one Kepha Folly to save someone's life).

YUP, this is the one I'm on and subsequently gave up on.

I looked to see where I could find the Spherical EM Motor, saw people saying it was on the north end of Noctilum, and I couldn't even get there at my level.

This game is already "bought" (my wife got it at my request as a Christmas gift) but I did have two questions that weren't quite answered in the OT:

- OT says "20-30 hours" before you get your first Skell. Is this a minimum estimate, or an average? Would I be able to blaze through the prerequisites and get a Skell in, let's say 10 hours? Or would players say that it's better to just be patient and enjoy the game as-is and get them in due time?

- The texture packs describe better loading times, but what does this specifically affect in a game that essentially has no load screens? Does this reduce pop-in? Does this only affect the initial load of the game? Just curious what this affects since I've heard of some minor issues regarding pop-in.

Kinsei

Banned
YUP, this is the one I'm on and subsequently gave up on.

I looked to see where I could find the Spherical EM Motor, saw people saying it was on the north end of Noctilum, and I couldn't even get there at my level.

Yes you could have. There are a ton of high level zones you need to cross at low levels to complete quests so you might want to get the practice in now.

This game is pretty much part stealth.

This game is already "bought" (my wife got it at my request as a Christmas gift) but I did have two questions that weren't quite answered in the OT:

- OT says "20-30 hours" before you get your first Skell. Is this a minimum estimate, or an average? Would I be able to blaze through the prerequisites and get a Skell in, let's say 10 hours? Or would players say that it's better to just be patient and enjoy the game as-is and get them in due time?

- The texture packs describe better loading times, but what does this specifically affect in a game that essentially has no load screens? Does this reduce pop-in? Does this only affect the initial load of the game? Just curious what this affects since I've heard of some minor issues regarding pop-in.

An average. 10 hours is pushing it but I'd say you could make in in 15 if you rush.

Initial load, fas travel load, pop-in, and texture loading.

There are plenty of load times. Loading the game, fast traveling, coming in and out of cutscenes, etc. Also pop-in, as you said.

Azuran

Banned

Honestly, If I were you, I would take my time and enjoy the game unless you want that Skell really really badly. There's a lot of stuff to do before you get it so I'm in no rush. I'm 30 hours into the game and I still don't have them, but it's fine because running and exploring on foot is still really fun.

An average. 10 hours is pushing it but I'd say you could make in in 15 if you rush.

Initial load, fas travel load, pop-in, and texture loading.

There are plenty of load times. Loading the game, fast traveling, coming in and out of cutscenes, etc. Also pop-in, as you said.
This answers my questions perfectly. Glad to hear that the texture packs make a difference. And I may end up just playing it "normal" and not rushing it. Most reviewers had the sentiment that yeah, you have to wait for the skells, but it's worth experiencing the game on foot and isn't a drag. Thanks, you both!

Can't wait to join the community for this game at the end of December! So HYPED!

EDIT:
Honestly, If I were you, I would take my time and enjoy the game unless you want that Skell really really badly. There's a lot of stuff to do before you get it so I'm in no rush. I'm 30 hours into the game and I still don't have them, but it's fine because running and exploring on foot is still really fun.
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll go in that direction.

El Odio

Banned
Just got in a squad mission where me and two other guys tried and miserably failed to beat Plume Telethia lvl 30. They both had skells... I had nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom