• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iryx

Just got my first skell. The whole feel of the game changed with it and i still need to adjust to it. I loved exploring on foot and now i have the feeling i will be lazy when there is a mech right besides me XD

Btw when buying weapons for your skells, can you actually see what art that part gives you? I can't seem to find it when looking in the shop at new parts and i would like to know it before i buy it.

You can hold R while buying skell gear and it will show the art it gives.

NeonZ

I didn't need to be the hero everybody looks forward to, and I appreciate the fact you'll always be the third member of Team Elma and that she's the leader.... but it would've been nice if characters acknowledged you more in big dialogue moments instead of you just being a tourist.

The oddest thing is that if you look at side-quests in general, or Affinity Quests that don't have Elma as an obligatory character, the game can handle just fine a mute character who's the focus. Look at say HB's or Hope's stories. The main issue is that as soon as Elma has a story role you're shoved aside to a secondary character position.

I think that they should have had some premade spoken lines at least for the main char tbh.

Xenoblade 1 had some generic lines said by the party members for side-quest stuff, I don't get why they didn't keep that here.

UAZDOuh.jpg

So what are the good early game level grind spots? Early as in I'm only lv 15. If it's just missions then thats fine.

whenever you need to grind find enemies that are 5-7 levels above you. Grexes are your first option and honestly a viable option up until level 30ish.

Rule of thumb is to find bigger version of easy enemies.

Grex

Forfax/crabs

The tiny insects/blattas, whatever they're called.

When you get a skell find my biggest recommendation is to find some level 40+ crabs get to a level you want.

Then you want to stick with enemies similar to your own level. Mainly because class level depends on your over-all level. The higher your over-all level the less class experience you gain.

Diffense

short question:

what is triggering ranged combo?
Is it triggered when I use a ranged arte and then I use any arte right after it?

This was asked a few pages back and it's terribly confusing the way its worded in the art description. If a melee art is boosted if it "triggers a ranged combo" I think it has to end the ranged combo. So use a ranged attack before you use the "triggering" art. Damage numbers get a spiky cloud around them if they're boosted (crit, position boost, etc). So you can try to check the condition yourself.

Also, it seems that Hit Scaling is the basic damage an art does as a percentage increase over your ordinary melee or ranged attack. IOW, the primary measure of the damage output of an art. Don't quote me but I think that's right. Next time I play I'll try to see if it checks out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Need some help with the final boss.

After I get his health down really low, he has a shield and none of my attacks do any damage. What should I do now?

Delio

whenever you need to grind find enemies that are 5-7 levels above you. Grexes are your first option and honestly a viable option up until level 30ish.

Rule of thumb is to find bigger version of easy enemies.

Grex

Forfax/crabs

The tiny insects/blattas, whatever they're called.

When you get a skell find my biggest recommendation is to find some level 40+ crabs get to a level you want.

Then you want to stick with enemies similar to your own level. Mainly because class level depends on your over-all level. The higher your over-all level the less class experience you gain.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know about the class experience going down. Guess I'll go fight a few Grex tomorrow.

Iryx

Need some help with the final boss.

After I get his health down really low, he has a shield and none of my attacks do any damage. What should I do now?

A shield drone spawns in the middle of the room, killing it removes the shield.

Diffense

This was asked a few pages back and it's terribly confusing the way its worded in the art description. If a melee art is boosted if it "triggers a ranged combo" I think it has to end the ranged combo. So use a ranged attack before you use the "triggering" art. Damage numbers get a spiky cloud around them if they're boosted (crit, position boost, etc). So you can try to check the condition yourself.

Also, it seems that Hit Scaling is the basic damage an art does as a percentage increase over your ordinary melee or ranged attack. IOW, the primary measure of the damage output of an art. Don't quote me but I think that's right. Next time I play I'll try to see if it checks out.

Seems the Hit Scaling is a straight percentage not a percentage increase. An art can do less damage than an ordinary attack if Hit Scaling < 100%.

Really? VAs sound pretty good to me. Nothing stilted or odd sounding either.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and say "opinions".
I was pleasantly surprised by Lin's VA. I think she pulled off a very tricky character well.

Golnei

It's not fantastic, but I'm not that offended by it, either. Tatsu and L are the only real atrocities - even the Ma-non manage to pull off 'cute' relatively successfully, which is a hard balance to strike with such high-pitched voices.

Anyone know what F-Wave skell weapon does?

Chapter 9 was a bit of a bitch. Was mashing a on my tenth fail or so and accidentally turned on easy mode. To my shame, the second boss I've done on easy. Had been killing mobs every attempt and didn't want to load a save though. Rolled the boss on easy, but was doing passably before so not surprising.

vareon

Lin is the biggest surprise to me in terms of VA. Very few dubs I watched managed to nail the little girl trope at all (it's always the reason why the more anime a game look, the more I tend to play in JP voice). The VA really stood out on her first affinity quest, where she sounded really concerned about her machines--a contrast from her usual Tatsu-bullying voice.

Tatsu on the other hand is terrible. It's hard to say it...like some of American accent still lingers in that voice? Riki is way better.

edissonlcn

Neo Member
I have to build half of heart with Lao to be able to accept chapter 8 main quest, any tips?
I never used him before, unless I was told to do so.

I loathe Lin, the first thing I did was put a helmet on her and then as soon as I was able - she was out of the party.

You do realize she has to be in your party for almost every story mission and most affinity missions ya? You better learn to deal with her Elma and Lin for that reason.

Golnei

Lin is the biggest surprise to me in terms of VA. Very few dubs I watched managed to nail the little girl trope at all (it's always the reason why the more anime a game look, the more I tend to play in JP voice). The VA really stood out on her first affinity quest, where she sounded really concerned about her machines--a contrast from her usual Tatsu-bullying voice.

Tatsu on the other hand is terrible. It's hard to say it...like some of American accent still lingers in that voice? Riki is way better.

I was surprised by how inoffensive Lin ended up being. Her face is still the ugliest model in the main cast, and I'd prefer it if 35% of her dialogue wasn't making the same joke about Tatsu ad nauseam, but overall I don't mind her. Though I would like it if she weren't a required member for so many affinity missions - the 'A Friend In Need' one stands out as one she could have been excised from with essentially no changes.

Agreed about Tatsu being a complete travesty, though. They should have gone with Riki's actor again - I didn't exactly love the Nopon voices in the first game, but they were way better than whatever happened here.

You do realize she has to be in your party for almost every story mission and most affinity missions ya? You better learn to deal with her Elma and Lin for that reason.

Thankfully, equipment carries over to cutscenes.

Ridley327

It's kind of insane what they do for some of the normal quests, in terms of their relevance to building the game's world and whatnot. I thought that kind of stuff was limited to just the Affinity quests, but yesterday saw me do the following:

-discovered a whole new alien race, complete with their AM (and it's the one I wanted to find at some point, since
the Orphe are the ones that make the awesome Kamen Rider-inspired gear
)
-initiated a pretty big quest chain that created a new fast travel point in Primordia, as well as getting surprisingly dark with how crazy it gets between the quests centering around
the Ma-non "miracle water" and when the water purification plant gets infested by the zombie things
-did a quest that has teased a seemingly not-insignificant support villain
-helped L open his own shop in Armory Alley, which sells a hell of a useful support feature
-learned the ins and outs of alien-based lingerie

Crazy stuff, but I like it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Finally finished Chapter 5 last night and wow, you didn't joke around that there is a big twist.

WTF at people who said there is no story in this game, that's a very nice twist and makes total sense. The whole survival on the new planet makes for a damn good plot and affinity missions build up nicely the personal story for a lot of characters. On top of that you have some normal missions who bring up some dark stories or surprising outcome.

That satisfaction when you sneak behind (or over) a lot of enemies much stronger than you to reach your objective. sogood.gif

And then you just sit there on an edge, looking at the beautiful landscape:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ygqnl.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's kind of insane what they do for some of the normal quests, in terms of their relevance to building the game's world and whatnot. I thought that kind of stuff was limited to just the Affinity quests, but yesterday saw me do the following:

-discovered a whole new alien race, complete with their AM (and it's the one I wanted to find at some point, since
the Orphe are the ones that make the awesome Kamen Rider-inspired gear
)
-initiated a pretty big quest chain that created a new fast travel point in Primordia, as well as getting surprisingly dark with how crazy it gets between the quests centering around
the Ma-non "miracle water" and when the water purification plant gets infested by the zombie things
-did a quest that has teased a seemingly not-insignificant support villain
-helped L open his own shop in Armory Alley, which sells a hell of a useful support feature
-learned the ins and outs of alien-based lingerie

Crazy stuff, but I like it.

Yeah, the basic missions are mostly crap filler, but the normal missions are the hidden gem of this game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Basics are there to give your exploration of mira a bit of focus and to help you get exp and affinity points towards normal/affinity/story content

Yes, I know, I take a bunch of them in every session, but I wouldn't play just for them. They are mostly companion quests to take when you take a story, affinity or normal mission around the same area.

Wiseblade

So what is everyone's team of choice right now? I have H.B. doing the best Reyn impersonation in the game, Alexa running debuffs and a dedicated Skell armour set with Yelv, Irina and Hope rotating in the fourth slot depending on my mood, the area or the quest demands.

So I finally got me, Irina and
The Murderess
to level 30. Time to get some shiny new skells!

Could someone give me a quick breakdown on the different weight classes for Skells? I presume Light Skells are more evasive and Heavy Skells are tankier. Would that be right? Are there any other salient points I should be aware of?

Lexxism

Is there anyone who can give me the exact point of Decapotamon Vista? I really hate looking for this place especially with all of those high level monsters lurking around.

I am on Chapter 3 and wanted to make a few comments on the game:

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.

Self fulfilling prophecy practically.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Chapter 3 is still basically tutorial mode dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom