• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Man, this game has so many missed opportunities, if it would be a little bit more like the original Xenoblade which means:

- clear focus on story
- more and deeper story
- no need for character creation
- affinity and normal missions as part of the main story without heavy restrictions
- quick and easy character switching
- freedom in choosing party members without restrictions or mandatory main character
- more freedom in character selection
- meaningful side characters
- realistic fall damage
- fast travel without the need to use a tablet controller
- unlimited amount of quests to accept
- easy target selection
- better music
- better character design
- better voice acting

it could be the best game ever made. But it is not. They tried to create freedom but achieved the opposite instead.
Yes, realisitic fall damage would give such freedohahahaahahahahaha

Mistle

Man, my class progression is a mess. I've gotten level 10 in all three of the second teir classes, and just can't decide which one I want to follow. I progressed the sniper one after commando a bit, but I'm not really having fun with the sniper and javelin... might go back to the dual guns/blades.

I feel like spreading out all my class points like that isn't ideal but I'm too indecisive.

Zafir

Yeah reseach probes seem a lot less common than mining probes honestly. I have mining probes out the ass, but not a ton of research/storage/booster/etc.

Yep. It felt like I came across more of them than I had done previously when I was exploring Sylvalum. I dunno if that was just luck, though.

Vena

I'm 33 hours in at this point, and i'm just straight fucking bored. It's like a stripped down MMO that doesn't really excel in anything other than being pretty with good voice actors.

Why would you put that much time in a game you find so boring?

Zafir

Man, this game has so many missed opportunities, if it would be a little bit more like the original Xenoblade which means:

- clear focus on story
- more and deeper story
- no need for character creation
- affinity and normal missions as part of the main story without heavy restrictions
- quick and easy character switching
- freedom in choosing party members without restrictions or mandatory main character
- more freedom in character selection
- meaningful side characters
- realistic fall damage
- fast travel without the need to use a tablet controller
- unlimited amount of quests to accept
- easy target selection
- better music
- better character design
- better voice acting

it could be the best game ever made. But it is not. They tried to create freedom but achieved the opposite instead.
Ya, although I'm not sure I agree with every point, I do wish we had a game which combined the strengths of each of them. Would be a fantastic game.

WarAdept

What the hell. Did the game just give me ANOTHER Shield user? I need DPS, not tanking! And Lin is way better than HB and L personality wise.

Wagram

Why would you put that much time in a game you find so boring?

I'm a big fan of all the Xeno titles and I bought a Wii U for this. I will suffer through it to the end and if these 33 hours are any indication it will be a lot of pain. It's easily the worst of the Xeno titles based on my experience with it.

Perhaps the experience becomes significantly funner when I obtain a skell, but I shouldn't be bored for XX+ hours to obtain a machine i'll be doing the same tedium in. Endless checklist quests, minimal actual plot (which isn't bad when it shows up) and exploring a world that's huge but quite literally is hollow in terms of content. Final Fantasy XIII didn't get a free pass and i'm not sure why this is.

foxuzamaki

Ya, although I'm not sure I agree with every point, I do wish we had a game which combined the strengths of each of them. Would be a fantastic game.
Some points are just wrong, the basic quests are unlimited, why would fall damage give more freedom, theress no reason to not use the tablet controller for fast travel, there are specific quests made just for the side characters to flesh them out, etc....

Dr Dogg

Holy shit Chapter 6's boss is absolutely kicking my arse. My party is level 23 whilst it's 24 but I've got pretty decent gear and good selection of arts and skills ranked up to but getting fucking hammered so fast that I can't get healed up in time via Soul Voices.

aravuus

Question to those of yall who have finished the game:

NOBODY could have predicted that wild ending to the end of Xenoblade Chronicles when you were only half way through that story. That's what I love about that game - shit got REAL crazy and the game doesn't nothing to telegraph it.

... Does the same thing happen in X? Are you unable to predict where this thing ends up after halfway through the game? Please spoiler tag your answer for those who simply don't want to know the answer to that question.

No specifics please, obviously.

Nah. The finale has a couple of twists, but the story is straightforward and simple.

foxuzamaki

Holy shit Chapter 6's boss is absolutely kicking my arse. My party is level 23 whilst it's 24 but I've got pretty decent gear and good selection of arts and skills ranked up to but getting fucking hammered so fast that I can't get healed up in time via Soul Voices.
Are you using a skell?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

The worst thing about this game is that it carries the Xenoblade Chronicles name. This game is VERY different and carrying the same name really sets up expectations that the game has no intentions of reaching.

Kind of like the Wii U name itself lol

Zafir

Some points are just wrong, the basic quests are unlimited, why would fall damage give more freedom, theress no reason to not use the tablet controller for fast travel, there are specific quests made just for the side characters to flesh them out, etc....

Aye. I actually like a lot of the side characters more than I did characters in the original Xenoblade honestly. I'd say it's just a shame some of them we don't see more of.

Fall damage would take a lot of the fun of exploration out for me. The jumping is just so satisfying.
The worst thing about this game is that it carries the Xenoblade Chronicles name. This game is VERY different and carrying the same name really sets up expectations that the game has no intentions of reaching.

I don't think that excuses some of it's flaws though, frankly.

Mat-triX

- easy target selection

This is the only thing I do agree is a step back. Selecting targets by holding R and pressing Y/A is not great (compared to cycling through enemies with the L/R in Xenoblade). Everything else I feel is either better, or simply different - not necessarily worse.

After being able to sprint super fast and jump extremely high, I don't want to go back to the Xenoblade's movement system.

aravuus

Yeah, I still don't get why the hell they went with that name. Just to have the fanservice stuff in it?

epmode

Screw that Weaponized sidequest. I can barely get that Trump thing down to 50% and now I'm locked out of story missions until I git good.

The battle system still confuses me. Am I supposed to be dodging attacks or is it a waste of time?

Zomba13

Didn't know that. Are these marked on the hexagons like tyrants/treasure/quests are or is it those "hidden location" things that pop up from time to time?

I don't think they are marked but the probe hexes will say something like "Sightseeing 0/1" (or 0/2) if there are any in that area to find and "---" if there aren't. I think sights can even bee in surrounding hexes from the probe hex but not 100% certain.

aravuus

Screw that Weaponized sidequest. I can barely get that Trump thing down to 50% and now I'm locked out of story missions until I git good.

The battle system still confuses me. Am I supposed to be dodging attacks or is it a waste of time?

Waste of time. Moving around doesn't lower the chances of getting hit at all.

e: well, I suppose you might draw less aggro if you try to stay behind the enemy, but there's no dodging or anything like that involved in the system. As soon as the enemy starts its attack, no matter how long it takes and how far you run away, it's completely up to chance whether or not you get hit

2cUOiFm.jpg

I feel like I don't understand how the linking of probes works... like I have multiple Research probes linked up together, but there's no bonus red circle around them. Do they have to be the exact same type of Probe? Like all tier 3s? Even so, I have 2 Tier 3 research side by side and they don't link. What am I missing?

I feel like I don't understand how the linking of probes works... like I have multiple Research probes linked up together, but there's no bonus red circle around them. Do they have to be the exact same type of Probe? Like all tier 3s? Even so, I have 2 Tier 3 research side by side and they don't link. What am I missing?

They have to be the same tier.

Kadin

They have to be the same type and tier and a minimum of 3 to get the bonus to start. Then 5 and 8 from there.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
It's so satisfying taking out small enemies that are 10 levels higher than you using a Skell. It's great for power levelling party members too.

Kouriozan

Alright, going to ask this right now...

Who the FUCK is Felix, and why do I keep seeing messages related to him taking up 25% of my screen?

I'm sick and tired of all these L+A messages.
Gotta agree with this, now I'm just disabling those Miiverse messages.
The Felix stuff is probably some random streamer asking its viewers to spam since one of the message is "Praise Felix, the stream has started"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
) and exploring a world that's huge but quite literally is hollow in terms of content. Final Fantasy XIII didn't get a free pass and i'm not sure why this is.

.... I don't understand this sentiment. What exactly were you expecting? There is an amusement park or shooting range or some other type of amusement on the ALIEN planet you crashed on?

I mean the game tells you from every trailer: YOU ARE ON AN ALIEN PLANET WITH MONSTERS. Guess what you''re going to do here?

I could not be more satisfied with this huge world and exploring and seeing the life on the planet. It's awesome.

Qurupeke

The first form is totally wrecking me. I made it past that once, but at the cost of the Skells of 3 party members and the second form was a slow death without them.

Unexpected answer, I would guess that you'd stuck later. lol Use the best possible Skells, if you're not using them already, with the best possible weapons. I really can't think of anything else. With 4 of the last level 30 heavy it was pretty easy. With 3 of them and 1 of the level 50 heavy it was a piece of cake.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah, I still don't get why the hell they went with that name. Just to have the fanservice stuff in it?

Because they want to create a brand. Final Fantasy seems to be pretty successful with it despite each game being different in a lot of aspects.

Zomba13

I guess they wanted to have a "Final Fantasy" type thing going on. Where the games are separate and stand alone with different mechanics and such but keep certain themes or references.

I didn't like them keeping the name at first but then someone mentioned how the "Xenoblade" in this game isn't some magic sword like the Monado but is in fact the BLADE organisation. I felt silly for not realising that. I like the idea of Nintendo having this Final Fantasy style series that takes elements from past games and puts them in new universes.

Probes only get link bonuses if they are the same type and same rank. So you need at least 3 of the same rank to get the 30% boost, then 5 for 50% boost then 8+ for 80% boost.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah, exactly.

You need to have three, five, or eight of the same type of TIER linked to each other.

Example: G1 Mining > G1 Mining > G1 Mining

Nonexamples:
G1 Research > G1 Research > G2 Research
or G1 Mining > G1 Research > G1 Mining

I mean just experiment and over and over by switching them out and you'll figure out how it goes. It costs relatively low money to switch out probes. If you're really concerned about your cash, save your game before you do it and experiment, then reload so you don't lose your cash.

Mat-triX

Much like Final Fantasy, Xenoblade is an anthology series; each game would have different lore/characters/world but carry over certain traits (similar battle system, game flow, Nopon, etc.). They're already talking about another Xenoblade in the future that's sure to be different than Xenoblade 1 or X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom