• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Is there a reason for continuing to build your characters, upgrade their equipment, etc. after you get the skell license? Because at the moment I don't see any point in fighting enemies without a skell. In a way it almost seems like cheating.

Or, to put it in another way, are there a lot of quests / situations after getting your license where you're prohibited from using your skells?
There are some quests that put you in caves too small for a Skell to fit. A late game chapter features an extended section where you can't bring your Skell along, so investing in ground gear is a good idea for the primary cast at least.

Astra

For those of you who have ranked up multiple classes for your character, which weapon combinations do you prefer?

I think I've settled on using the knife as my melee, since I love the support arts I have access to while it's equipped.

Based on the damage Elma does, I think I'll go with Dual Guns as my ranged.

Using the Sniper Rifle at the moment, and am pretty underwhelmed with its toolset.

Where can I grind to level 30 fast so I can use the level 30 Skells?

I asked this before but never got a answer. Is there a bonus in wearing Skell Armor while piloting a Skell?

Qurupeke

Do some skell weapons stop you from equipping others?

I got an orange sword weapon that equips in the slot second from top on the right. Yet it automatically unequips anything in the opposite slot.

Some Skell weapons take more than one slot. There should be an indication near the image that i shows more than one parts of the Skell.

Is there a convenient way to tell your teammates to enter/leave a skell outside battle?
I'm tired of switching characters and doing it manually.

Regiruler

my gamepad is basically out of commission because it won't function more than 6 inches from the console. Is it possible to do the segment map functions without the gamepad?

JulianImp

Is there a convenient way to tell your teammates to enter/leave a skell outside battle?
I'm tired of switching characters and doing it manually.

Press start (I mean +) to bring up the battle command menu, and from there you can select the "board/exit your skells!" command, as well as several other useful ones such as "focus fire", "preserve TP" or "activate overdrive".

Kadin

For those of you who have ranked up multiple classes for your character, which weapon combinations do you prefer?

I think I've settled on using the knife as my melee, since I love the support arts I have access to while it's equipped.

Using the Sniper Rifle at the moment, and am pretty underwhelmed with its toolset.
I'm level 23 right now with Sniper and the default melee and I'm honestly not too fond of either at this point. I'm level 6 in the final class tree as well so maybe it improves a bit. I really wanted to focus on ranged but I still find myself doing more melee than I'd prefer due to soul voice requests.

Trying to decide what I want to switch either weapon to next.

my gamepad is basically out of commission because it won't function more than 6 inches from the console. Is it possible to do the segment map functions without the gamepad?
Unfortunately it isn't. Need the gamepad for that along with fast travel and changing probes.

Yaaaaasss! After nearly 50 hours of getting lost doing side quests, I finally got my first Skell! Went for the Gundam Heavyarms motif since my OC apparently has a Trowa look going on, lol.

W5ujwwFl.jpg

RqU5Vfgl.jpg

7467WL8l.jpg

Bonus shot hiding in sensei's armor.

irYzcq9l.jpg

Wiseblade

I asked this before but never got a answer. Is there a bonus in wearing Skell Armor while piloting a Skell?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Investing in the Arms Manufacturers increases the selection of items available from that AM and increases the number of bonus skills on that armour. The bonuses on Skell Armour are all about piloting Skells but they're terrible for ground combat.

JulianImp

I'm leveling up some random non-mastermind classes after having maxed that one out, and while I love the arts that knifes have, I've got to say that their damage output is awfully low. I wonder if healing arts here end up working like Sharla in XBC, where all her heals would only help you not die, and swapping her out for a party member focused on offense would often help a lot more in the long run over her low damage output and crappy heals.

I'm still holding on to my raygun and all its AoE moves until I get more offensive arts for other weapons since man, starting with a single art on new weapons is a real pain...

i need a good place to farm level 40 enemies. Any suggestions??

Like I said before, there're four lv 41-46 giant crabs in the beaches at the southeasternmost part of Oblivia. Still, I think you can two-shot almost any level 40-50 non-humungous enemies with your skells, but only as long as you can fight them one at a time. The level 48 prones I once found scary are now getting nuked from orbit with my BFS and a couple extra attacks, and I've leveled up from 39 to 43 just by abusing that attack and skells in general.

That doom cricket in Noctilum finally got what it deserved, and it was so easy to beat it up that it felt really anticlimatic after how it made me panic and run away the first few times I stumbled across it.

I'm not sure how to explain it but it's not like you can just get your friend to join your world and wander around. It's not that kind of co-op. It's more like monster hunter or PSO, like an instanced dungeon. The missions are confined in areas (you are placed within invisible walls around a specific section of the map). When you invite friends, they go first to the barracks, which acts like a lobby, then when you ready-up, the group is sent straight to the mission area.

Thanks for the reply. So you can just invite friend's from your list?

zroid

Banned

Knife and Dual Guns is what I've got equipped right now heh. I mastered FMJ first (which is awesome), and I'm working my way toward Galactic Knight atm (still an Enforcer). I didn't like the Raygun after trying it so I stuck with Dual Guns. I agree the Knife's support skills are pretty good, although I'm missing all those crazy damage combos I could do with the Dual Swords as a FMJ. Back Slash and Shadowstrike together is awesome.

Dad

How the hell do I get to the Devil's Colony in Oblivia? I've completely circled around where it's supposed to be and can't find any way inside or on top

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is BP a limited resource? Looking at the rate I earn BP, there's no way I'm going to be able to level all the arts and skills across the various classes.

Someone in this thread said after you finish the game there are quests that basically give out unlimited BP as long as you keep repeating them over and over.

So to your question: No.

ohlawd

am I good if I've got a whole bunch of people to 1 heart to finish the game? Lin and Elma are at 3. pls tell me the other required characters only need one.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
How the hell do I get to the Devil's Colony in Oblivia? I've completely circled around where it's supposed to be and can't find any way inside or on top

Warp to FN Site 302 and then jump down to your left and the entrance will be to the right

Astra

I'm level 23 right now with Sniper and the default melee and I'm honestly not too fond of either at this point. I'm level 6 in the final class tree as well so maybe it improves a bit. I really wanted to focus on ranged but I still find myself doing more melee than I'd prefer due to soul voice requests.

Trying to decide what I want to switch either weapon to next.

As a sniper I was hoping for some really hard hitting arts with debuffs due to precision shooting. I'm only halfway through Partisan Eagle at the moment, so maybe there'll be some bettter arts.

I enjoy Lao since he often calls for ranged arts, but I dropped him to try out his class.

Elma really favors calling for melee strikes.

I'm leveling up some random non-mastermind classes after having maxed that one out, and while I love the arts that knifes have, I've got to say that their damage output is awfully low. I wonder if healing arts here end up working like Sharla in XBC, where all her heals would only help you not die, and swapping her out for a party member focused on offense would often help a lot more in the long run over her low damage output and crappy heals.

I'm still holding on to my raygun and all its AoE moves until I get more offensive arts for other weapons since man, starting with a single art on new weapons is a real pain...

Yeah, the damage from the knives is pretty low. Though both Slit Edge and Black Butterfly do nice damage, especially when the secondary cooldown is full.

I have the skill Secondary Accelerator set, and maxed so I get those secondary cooldowns filled extremely quickly.

Smooth Recovery and Energy Source saved me a few times, especially against groups of tougher enemies.

I have Absorber Skin too, for my tank, but I'm not sure I even need it. Lin has a good set of Arts that she barely takes any damage.

Knife and Dual Guns is what I've got equipped right now heh. I mastered FMJ first (which is awesome), and I'm working my way toward Galactic Knight atm (still an Enforcer). I didn't like the Raygun after trying it so I stuck with Dual Guns. I agree the Knife's support skills are pretty good, although I'm missing all those crazy damage combos I could do with the Dual Swords as a FMJ. Back Slash and Shadowstrike together is awesome.

Not a big fan of the Raygun either. It's just too slow, and I didn't like the arts overall. Definitely useful as a support class, but I'll let Irina handle that. It's too dull for me.

I took over Elma a bit, to play her class and it's a lot of fun. The damage FMJ does is very satisfying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I've been using a longsword and sniper combo, with a focus on the longsword arts.

-True Rising Blade to build TP (the gains are ridiculous at times)

-Shrapnel and Afterburner as ultra burst damage

-Offensive stance along with Breaking Slash to get bigger melee numbers

-Ultraslash followed by Incendiary Edge for even more burst damage

-Eagle Eye to boost ranged

I haven't maxed the sniper class out yet so Eagle Eye will eventually be replaced with Hawkeye for the extra crit and maybe Ghost Sniper for Offensive Stance to help with the TP building. The latter will depend on if the Ghost Sniper aura works on melee attacks.

The burst damage for this build is bonkers and body parts just explode. It's all about positioning though, gotta be behind the enemy. The big money combo is Shrapnel into Afterburner (with Eagle Eye up) into Ultraslash into Incendiary Edge (with Breaking Slash and Offensive Stance up). It takes a lot of set-up to get it optimal but even if you don't or aren't able to, shit just melts.

From what I can tell the sniper rifle arts are really good for bursting down individual parts and boosting damage for your melee arts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright, I finished Chapter 5 last night but I was on the phone as I was watching the cutscene and wasn't fully engaged, so I have a question:

So basically, it's like The Matrix? Humans are hooked up on some type of life support and controlling their "robot people/mimesomes" remotely through their thoughts? I don't understand.

Yeah. Maybe I just need to rewatch the scene on YouTube or something.

JulianImp

Alright, I finished Chapter 5 last night but I was on the phone as I was watching the cutscene and wasn't fully engaged, so I have a question:

So basically, it's like The Matrix? Humans are hooked up on some type of life support and controlling their "robot people/mimesomes" remotely through their thoughts? I don't understand.

I'd say it's more like
Avatar (the crappy Cameron movie)
but yeah, more or less.

Miracle

Which Skell weapon do you guys think is better from LV 30-50? The G-Buster or Scythe?

I tried out that G-Buster because of that "holy crap 20k+ force!?" But it seems to only do a quarter of enemy's health in one shot against +10x leveled enemies.

But then I used the Sycthe and that behind damage is INSANE with Background Noise and kills those enemies in either one shot or almost.

Is the G-Buster really that good or am I just using it wrong?

Renewed

I finished chapter 9 and I have a question
Am I now screwed out of doing any Lao affinity quests that I didn't do yet?

His affinity missions are tied to story progression so you can't miss them. You've done them all by now. Only thing you'd miss is Heart-to-Hearts.

Wichu

What's the fastest way to earn a large amount of money? I'm level 36 and stuck on
the Skell battle in Chapter 9
because my ground party members die too quickly - I think I need to Skell them up.

NeonZ

Do the (formerly) DLC characters have Heart to Hearts? HB, Alexa, Bozé and Yelv never seem to leave their positions (which should happen if they had a Heart to Heart activated somewhere) and I haven't been able to find any Heart to Hearts with them either.

Where is H.B. after Chpater 5?

He always stands in the residential area in the grassy field in front of the water purification plant.

Qurupeke

Do the (formerly) DLC characters have Heart to Hearts? HB, Alexa, Bozé and Yelv never seem to leave their positions (which should happen if they had a Heart to Heart activated somewhere) and I haven't been able to find any Heart to Hearts with them either.

I've found an HB heart to heart, so yeah I guess.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I'd say it's more like
Avatar (the crappy Cameron movie)
but yeah, more or less.

Okay, yeah I just rewatched it on YouTube. I really didn't miss anything, that's how its presented. Right so it is
like Avatar (I've never seen the movie) or The Matrix. Their bodies are "sleeping" but somehow their minds are "plugged in" their Mims and control them remotely mentally. I think it is more like The Matrix, since apparently some people don't know or remember that they're "plugged in", right? Or are people actually aware of what's going on?

So, yeah. Okay. I'm engaged in this story. This game plays out much more like a TV series, specially Anime because you have this over arching "mystery" that unfolds very slowly over many episodes. You have plenty of episodes that solely focus on the "day and the life" of the characters who are trapped in the mystery, and doesn't exactly move the plot closer to solving it - instead just expands on it.

This story telling is much different than the original XC. I feel like in that game you could miss every side mission, heart to heart, and only focus on the "story" and not miss anything. Whereas here, if you're only playing through the "story missions" and not all the normal and Affinity missions - you're missing out on so much.

I really like where this is going, but I'm definitely ready to slow down now before starting Ch.6 and really get a feel of the world. I feel like Ch.5 is a nice "stop and smell the roses" point to get a better feel for the world. Which is ironic since
there's literally a countdown clock, and I can make it not move by not doing a "story mission"

Alright, alright lol

You're right. It's probably the dumbest twist in the game.

e: if you can even call it a twist. It's incredibly obvious, like you said.

Well it was first hinted in like first 5 minutes of prologue and then throughout the game. I would say it's not really a twist

Renewed

He always stands in the residential area in the grassy field in front of the water purification plant.

They have Heart-to-Hearts (ie. I met HB down in the water purification plant talking with someone during the daytime. May have to be early morning, morning or afternoon but you can just cycle the times till he appears there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom