• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

Because they want to create a brand. Final Fantasy seems to be pretty successful with it despite each game being different in a lot of aspects.

I mean, I get that, it's just so weird after a string of Xeno games. I figured the Xeno part WAS their brand, Xeno-this, Xeno-that etc, similarly named and numbered Xeno-games would be direct sequels (Like Saga) and so on

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
U am actually starting to like the game quite a bit now but I am still confused about certain things. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is why do some of my arts get locked out at what seems to be random times?

Kadin

U am actually starting to like the game quite a bit now but I am still confused about certain things. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is why do some of my arts get locked out at what seems to be random times?
If you're seeing the red 'X' over them, maybe it due to not being within proper range.

edit: most likely due to being out of TP as mentioned in the posts below mine.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

They could be in cool down, or if they are TP Arts and you don't enough TP (basically your traditional Magic Points, MP, in Final Fantasy games) or if they are melee attacks, you could not be close enough to hit them.

Mat-triX

If its a red slash on the icon, that either means your out of range (melee arts require you to be close to the enemy) or it's an art that needs TP to be used.

RagnarokX

Because they want to create a brand. Final Fantasy seems to be pretty successful with it despite each game being different in a lot of aspects.

But the brand already exists and makes more sense as Xeno___

The plot of this game has more in common with Xenogears and Xenosaga than with Xenoblade. Keeping the blade part adds confusion because when previous Xeno games did that that meant they were direct sequels.

Frodo

Does the art you are mentioning have TP written on their respective symbol? If it does it consumers TP, and it might need to wait for you to recover TP during the battle so it can be used again.

Edit: Beaten.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I mean, I get that, it's just so weird after a string of Xeno games. I figured the Xeno part WAS their brand, Xeno-this, Xeno-that etc, similarly named and numbered Xeno-games would be direct sequels (Like Saga) and so on

Yeah I'm with this line of thinking.

The plot of this game has more in common with Xenogears and Xenosaga than with Xenoblade. Keeping the blade part adds confusion because when previous Xeno games did that that meant they were direct sequels.

Because the rights to xenogears and xenosaga aren't owned by Nintendo. Pretty obvious they want a brand they have complete ownership of

I don't think they are marked but the probe hexes will say something like "Sightseeing 0/1" (or 0/2) if there are any in that area to find and "---" if there aren't. I think sights can even bee in surrounding hexes from the probe hex but not 100% certain.

Thanks. Once I get flight I'm going to try and get everything set up in Oblivia.

epmode

I feel like I'm going crazy here. This game feels virtually identical to XC aside from the lack of story focus. The combat system and main gameplay loop is the same. Keeping the Xenoblade name makes sense.

By minimum of 3 I mean of probes, not the tier itself. You only have two so it won't work.

I guess they wanted to have a "Final Fantasy" type thing going on. Where the games are separate and stand alone with different mechanics and such but keep certain themes or references.

I didn't like them keeping the name at first but then someone mentioned how the "Xenoblade" in this game isn't some magic sword like the Monado but is in fact the BLADE organisation. I felt silly for not realising that. I like the idea of Nintendo having this Final Fantasy style series that takes elements from past games and puts them in new universes.

Probes only get link bonuses if they are the same type and same rank. So you need at least 3 of the same rank to get the 30% boost, then 5 for 50% boost then 8+ for 80% boost.

Yeah, exactly.

You need to have three, five, or eight of the same type of TIER linked to each other.

Example: G1 Mining > G1 Mining > G1 Mining

Nonexamples:
G1 Research > G1 Research > G2 Research
or G1 Mining > G1 Research > G1 Mining

I mean just experiment and over and over by switching them out and you'll figure out how it goes. It costs relatively low money to switch out probes. If you're really concerned about your cash, save your game before you do it and experiment, then reload so you don't lose your cash.

Oooooh, I see now, lol. Thanks so much everyone!

Haunted

Man, this game has so many missed opportunities

- affinity and normal missions as part of the main story without heavy restrictions
- quick and easy character switching
- freedom in choosing party members without restrictions or mandatory main character
- more freedom in character selection
- unlimited amount of quests to accept
- easy target selection.
Agreed with these in particular.

But I'm happy they cut fall damage, it encourages experimenting and trying things out with the movement and traversal before you get flight. That's fun! It's fun to run around and jump up cliffs. It would be less fun if I had to be constantly afraid of dying.

And I would want to be able to do more with the gamepad, not less. Let me look at my characters while the game is running, let me check out all the info screens, the index, collectibles and bestiary etc while running somewhere. Let me switch equipment and party members on the fly on the gamepad. The map's detailed and helpful and a good use of the gamepad, but there's much more potential there than just the map and gesture buttons.

aravuus

Because the rights to xenogears and xenosaga aren't owned by Nintendo. Pretty obvious they want a brand they have complete ownership of

Why not then either a) give the original Xenoblade a name that doesn't even have the Xeno in the name or b) keep using the Xeno-something naming convention with the same name reserved for only direct sequels? They could incorporate elements that get shared between games, like Nopons, into the series just fine even if they continued with the Xeno-something names

Zafir

But gameplay wise, the games are still pretty similar. The battle system is pretty the same and the main theme is still exploration. The name still fits.

Oh, I was just commenting on that fact. I have no opinion either way on what it should be called really.

It has a quite a few features which are similar, combat system, how the town and citizens are, the affinity system etc. That said, it's set in a different world, the focus on the game is different, etc. So quite honestly, imo, it could go eitherway.

It's so satisfying taking out small enemies that are 10 levels higher than you using a Skell. It's great for power levelling party members too.

Make sure you use it to PL yourself as well, as in take up another class tree, while you are Skellin' like a Felon. 10 levels higher mobs are also nice for class rank ups.

aravuus

What do you guys think they should have titled it?

I maybe would have done Xenoverse but Dragon Ball stole that :lol

Xenoplanet

Xenoploration

Xenogrind

XenoFUCKTATSU

XenoTHEPOTATOJOKEGOTOLDAFTERTHEFIRSTTIME

Xenoweliterallydontknowanyotherjokes

NeonZ

I'm a big fan of all the Xeno titles and I bought a Wii U for this. I will suffer through it to the end and if these 33 hours are any indication it will be a lot of pain. It's easily the worst of the Xeno titles based on my experience with it.

Perhaps the experience becomes significantly funner when I obtain a skell, but I shouldn't be bored for XX+ hours to obtain a machine i'll be doing the same tedium in. Endless checklist quests, minimal actual plot (which isn't bad when it shows up) and exploring a world that's huge but quite literally is hollow in terms of content. Final Fantasy XIII didn't get a free pass and i'm not sure why this is.

I get this kind of complaint because open world games often basically have, well, "open" worlds focusing mostly on looks and establishing some set pieces, but physically, it might end up as just filler that sets up atmosphere for the points of interest, with little relevant gameplay between them. However, Xenoblade X's world is filled with gameplay relevant elements, like enemy positioning clearly placed based on the geography, alongside many routes and locations that have limited entrances and exits. I guess it doesn't show much in Primordia, but as soon as you go to another continent all that should be obvious. Even Oblivia is full of that stuff in spite of all the open areas, with the big mountain ranges and abysses splitting all of them.

Also, no, if you don't enjoy the game after 10+ hours, I doubt Skells will change anything. They make it easier to run away from enemies and jump over part of the terrain, but it's not like they fundamentally change the game before the flight module, and I don't see the flight module improving anything if you think that the world that you're forced to carefully explore is already boring.

So the
Prone
are officially my favorite alien race

One of them is working for this chick in a normal mission in a factory, she's all

"Oh my god this thing is gonna explode why didn't you do anything?!"

and he's all

"I did many things. First I kicked it, then I kept hitting it hoping it would get fixed"

and then he starts air boxing against no one.

I fucking lol'd so hard. Love these dudes.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Thanks for the help guys. Do some arts use TP even if it doesn't have the icon? That is what I thought and I was looking at my TP guage when I used the arts but nothing seemed to change?

Also you gain blade ranks just generally doing what you do, right?

it could be the best game ever made. But it is not. They tried to create freedom but achieved the opposite instead.

I'm 33 hours in at this point, and i'm just straight fucking bored. It's like a stripped down MMO that doesn't really excel in anything other than being pretty with good voice actors.

I think Nintendo just said MOAR to everything MMO'ish about XC and threw anything not MMO'ish under the bus.

I think what bothers me the most is how useless base camps are.

Golnei

What do you guys think they should have titled it?

I maybe would have done Xenoverse but Dragon Ball stole that :lol

I would have been okay with them keeping the "blade" suffix for brand/IP purposes if they changed the subtitle instead of adding to it. It's cliche, but Xenoblade Exodus is a lot less clunky than Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Rodin

Am i the only one who thinks that subquests in this are actually pretty great? I just did the one for Rosie where you go to the
water center, where you find the girl locked in and all those monsters outside. You get rid of them only to find out that they were the staff working at the center, who got infected by a parasite, and the girl is the only survivor (only because she didn't drink water despite being thirsty because of the virus and never activated it). And to think it started as a dumb "go yell at them for not inviting Rosie to their party"...

The
"cult"
one near the Church was amazing too and so were many, many others, and i'm only talking about the normal quests here (the green ones). Affinity quests are often even better and give more depth to the characters. Surely all those people complaining about quests in this title can't possibly be playing only the basic quests you get at the terminal, right? And even those are often a good way to have an extra purpose to explore the world other than earning more money/exp. Then of course there are boring quests too, but that's only obvious. Can you imagine a game with thousands of quests and all of them are perfect? Even TW3 has tons of shitty subquests, but the overall experience is nothing short of amazing and the game has still possibly one of the best subquests systems ever (right there with Gothic 1-2). But even that doesn't come with more than a few lows.

Anyway i finally got the Skell, which is AWESOME. And after playing chapter 4-5-6 let me say LOL at "no story".

I would have been okay with them keeping the "blade" suffix for brand/IP purposes if they changed the subtitle instead of adding to it. It's cliche, but Xenoblade Exodus is a lot less clunky than Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Xenoblade X like in Japan would have been way better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Nintendo just said MOAR to everything MMO'ish about XC and threw anything not MMO'ish under the bus.

I think what bothers me the most is how useless base camps are.

Base caps are useful for changing the time, which is pretty important early on and for certain quests. If you don't want to deal with the weather you just use the base camp to change the time.

Am i the only one who thinks that subquests in this are actually pretty great? I just did the one for Rosie where you go to the
water center, where you find everyone except the girl has turned into a monster and you have to kill them. And to think it started as a dumb "go yell at them for not inviting Rosie to their party"...

The
"cult"
one near the Church was amazing too and so were many, many others, and i'm only talking about the normal quests here (the green ones). Affinity quests are often even better and give more depth to the characters. Surely all those people complaining about quests in this title can't be possibly playing only the basic quests you get at the terminal, right? And even those are often a good way to have an extra purpose to explore the world other than earning more money/exp. Then of course there are boring quests too, but that's only obvious. Can you imagine a game with thousands of quests and all of them are perfect? Even TW3 has tons of shitty subquests, but the overall experience is nothing short of amazing.

I have a feeling a lot of the people complaining about the quests haven't been playing the normal/affinity quests. There was a guy complaining about quests earlier and he was only 3 hours in, before you get access to either.

RagnarokX

I feel like I'm going crazy here. This game feels virtually identical to XC aside from the lack of story focus. The combat system and main gameplay loop is the same. Keeping the Xenoblade name makes sense.
They do have similar battle systems. I said the plot is more like Xenogears/saga.

Xenogears is about real-world humans crash landing on and settling on an alien planet. And the big mcguffin of the Xeno series is the zohar:

http://i.imgur.com/chjgHe1l.png

And it's no coincidence that the big mcguffins in XCX are essentially zohars:

http://i.imgur.com/fBNmTsTl.png

BY2K

Membero Americo
So the
Prone
are officially my favorite alien race

One of them is working for this chick in a normal mission in a factory, she's all

"Oh my god this thing is gonna explode why didn't you do anything?!"

and he's all

"I did many things. First I kicked it, then I kept hitting it hoping it would get fixed"

and then he starts air boxing against no one.

I fucking lol'd so hard. Love these dudes.

Thanks for the spoiler.

Zomba13

Yeah. Preference for me goes Xeno___, then Xenoblade ____ and waaaaay at the bottom of the list is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I mean, I get it if they want the "Xenoblade Chronicles" to be this Final Fantasy thing, but I think just slapping X on the end wasn't the best idea. It's like you put it, clunky.

water center, where you find the girl locked in and all those monsters outside. You get rid of them only to find out that they were the staff working at the center, who got infected by a parasite, and the girl is the only survivor (only because she didn't drink water despite being thirsty because of the virus and never activated it). And to think it started as a dumb "go yell at them for not inviting Rosie to their party"...

The
"cult"
one near the Church was amazing too and so were many, many others, and i'm only talking about the normal quests here (the green ones). Affinity quests are often even better and give more depth to the characters. Surely all those people complaining about quests in this title can't possibly be playing only the basic quests you get at the terminal, right? And even those are often a good way to have an extra purpose to explore the world other than earning more money/exp. Then of course there are boring quests too, but that's only obvious. Can you imagine a game with thousands of quests and all of them are perfect? Even TW3 has tons of shitty subquests, but the overall experience is nothing short of amazing.

I love the Normal Missions in this game. Them and the Affinity Missions are great. There are of course some that don't really add much to the world and most are typical side quests of go to x and kill y of z or get me some amount of thing and then talk to Jimmy BUT the actually story of the missions adds to the world so much. Like, even 60 hours in I got a new Normal Mission that added an entire new race to the city with their own lore and unique culture and side missions. I love how they also end up being not what you expect and also deal with how normal people would react to being stranded on this alien world and having to live with these strange aliens.

Zekes!

quick question before I start chapter 9

Is there anything I should do
with Lao? I have the feeling something is gonna happen with him soon and don't want to miss any affinity quests I could have done.

If anyone wants to just give me a "yes" or "no", that would be awesome

jgwhiteus

More than 40 hours in, and I finally decided to head over to Sylvaum - really love the artstyle of this one (though I love the other continents as well) - just looks beautiful both during night and day. And the music is gorgeous too - I might find NLA's music a little iffy, but the overworld music tracks for every continent have all been great. And traveling by Skell makes planting data probes soooo much faster and easier - it's kinda sad, it almost makes the world feel smaller when you can travel so quickly.

fmFilqR.jpg

SalvaPot

Yeah. Preference for me goes Xeno___, then Xenoblade ____ and waaaaay at the bottom of the list is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I mean, I get it if they want the "Xenoblade Chronicles" to be this Final Fantasy thing, but I think just slapping X on the end wasn't the best idea. It's like you put it, clunky.

It could work if they start numbering the sequels.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 could work as a NX release.

And it seems the name kind of worked since the game seems to be a success.

Also, I believe the original name for the game was just "X", so Xenoblade Chronicles X is better than just X.

zroid

Banned

well tbf it is Xenoblade ____ in Japan :p

Thanks for the spoiler.

sorry. Didn't realize an alien dude in a normal mission is a spoiler. Spoilered it.

Is there a point at which I will be able to combine weapon types from different classes?

When you max out a branch, it allows you to use the weapons of that class in any other class. So you can switch classes and then switch back to your skills and weapons from the previous class.

This way you aren't forced to start from zero with arts/skills

RagnarokX

The should have kept the Xeno convention, but name it something different.

I would have liked:

Xenocross Chronicles
Xenoworld Chronicles

They really had the shoehorn "blade" into the game, too.

I like Xenocross.

Xenoplanet might have worked. Both xeno and planet are greek and it would mean "wandering aliens."

Xenofrontier, Xeno Exodus, Xenoquest, Xenopendence Day

Dad

Is there a faster way for raising affinity beyond grinding out the awful BLADE board quests? I think I might be bowing out for a while if there isn't a better way to make
Lao
hate me less. Terrible progress halting mechanism

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there a faster way for raising affinity beyond grinding out the awful BLADE board quests? I think I might be bowing out for a while if there isn't a better way to make
Lao
hate me less. Terrible progress halting mechanism

Do normal quests, those will get you plenty of affinity. Why would you only stick with those weak board quests?

Dad

Do normal quests, those will get you plenty of affinity. Why would you only stick with those weak board quests?

I didn't realize there was an affinity requirement on the next main mission and I'm down to the dregs for normal missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom