• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

skypunch

Banned
It's hard to believe the same person who wrote Xenoblade's characters & story, wrote XCX. I love the world of XCX & the gameplay, but the story is absolutely, unforgivably bad, both in content & in execution. This is probably one of the worst I've ever seen in an RPG.

I remember Hyodo, who jumped onboard XCX as one of the writers to assist Takeda, asked Monolith if he could create new characters for the game & Monolith replied with: "Sure. Create as many as you like." Was this really a good thing to do? There's just too many filler characters & they're all defined by one single trait, which get shoved down your throat over & over again. It's like Monolith threw quality control out of the window with this game. I think the biggest thing that hurt the game's story is the addition of online multiplayer halfway through development; having to scrap the main protagonist for a custom, mute avatar & rewriting the story to fit around him/her can't NOT of hurt the story's pacing & quality. & it's not like the online multiplayer is even that decent, either. Whoever called for online multiplayer halfway through development needs a kick to the balls. It's never a good thing to take a U-turn halfway through development.

Another thing: the music. There's some tracks that I do like, but I hear the same ones over & over & over again, in story missions & normal missions, to the point where I've just become numb to them; they don't do anything for me anymore. It's not like I'm a big Sawano fan, anyway. A lot of the tracks in X are soulless, in that they're these overproduced, bombastic pieces with little composition to them. They're just notes going up & down within the same octave slapped over standard 4/4 time signatures & disgusting tin-sounding snares that sound like they're ripped straight out of Metallica's St. Anger album. I feel like I'm just hearing an orchestral version of crappy nu-metal/pop-rock songs. The compositions are so lazy & derivative, & just plain obnoxious a lot of the time. Tracks are also placed over scenes which really don't fit with what is being playing out or being said.

There's other things I dislike, too, like having to have Elma & Lin/Tatsu in every story mission & a lot of the affinity missions (I am sick of these characters' archetypes), the fourth party member having no input in story events, gathering quests that can have you running around for hours on end, & other weird design choices that have me scratching my head, but I will leave it there.

With that all said, the game is still great, & I actually do like the world-building that comes with just talking to NPCs/xenoforms & doing normal missions, but I'm glad Takahashi wants to return to a more traditional JRPG formula with Xenoblade 3 because, in all honesty, I don't think I could tolerate another "Xenoblade Chronicles X" feat. Sawano.

Thud

Chapter 12 is bullshit.

Died during the last bossfight. Can't fix my Skell, while you need it to finish it. This isn't thought out well.

It's hard to believe the same person who wrote Xenoblade's characters & story, wrote XCX. I love the world of XCX & the gameplay, but the story is absolutely, unforgivably bad, both in content & in execution. This is probably one of the worst I've ever seen in an RPG.

I remember Hyodo, who jumped onboard XCX as one of the writers to assist Takeda, asked Monolith if he could create new characters for the game & Monolith replied with: "Sure. Create as many as you like." Was this really a good thing to do? There's just too many filler characters & they're all defined by one single trait, which get shoved down your throat over & over again. It's like Monolith threw quality control out of the window with this game. I think the biggest thing that hurt the game's story is the addition of online multiplayer halfway through development; having to scrap the main protagonist for a custom, mute avatar & rewriting the story to fit around him/her can't NOT of hurt the story's pacing & quality. & it's not like the online multiplayer is even that decent, either. Whoever called for online multiplayer halfway through development needs a kick to the balls. It's never a good thing to take a U-turn halfway through development.

Another thing: the music. There's some tracks that I do like, but I hear the same ones over & over & over again, in story missions & normal missions, to the point where I've just become numb to them; they don't do anything for me anymore. It's not like I'm a big Sawano fan, anyway. A lot of the tracks in X are soulless, in that they're these overproduced, bombastic pieces with little composition to them. They're just notes going up & down within the same octave slapped over standard 4/4 time signatures & disgusting tin-sounding snares that sound like they're ripped straight out of Metallica's St. Anger album. I feel like I'm just hearing an orchestral version of crappy nu-metal/pop-rock songs. The compositions are so lazy & derivative, & just plain obnoxious a lot of the time. Tracks are also placed over scenes which really don't fit with what is being playing out or being said.

There's other things I dislike, too, like having to have Elma & Lin/Tatsu in every story mission & a lot of the affinity missions (I am sick of these characters' archetypes), the fourth party member having no input in story events, gathering quests that can have you running around for hours on end, & other weird design choices that have me scratching my head, but I will leave it there.

With that all said, the game is still great, & I actually do like the world-building that comes with just talking to NPCs/xenoforms & doing normal missions, but I'm glad Takahashi wants to return to a more traditional JRPG formula with Xenoblade 3 because, in all honesty, I don't think I could tolerate another "Xenoblade Chronicles X" feat. Sawano.

Xenoblade X can be the Xenosaga 2 of the series. If they can somehow get Yuki Kajiura back it would be interesting

Daknight

Man, I was running around doing stuff and normal missions after finishing the game
thinking the post game stuff would be answer (mira's secret, Leo's revival, the great one). Then read their is no mission to explain this :( I really, really hopr they make a sequel to explain all this stuff. Though not with the same continent/places.

HeroR

Another thing: the music. There's some tracks that I do like, but I hear the same ones over & over & over again, in story missions & normal missions, to the point where I've just become numb to them; they don't do anything for me anymore. It's not like I'm a big Sawano fan, anyway. A lot of the tracks in X are soulless, in that they're these overproduced, bombastic pieces with little composition to them. They're just notes going up & down within the same octave slapped over standard 4/4 time signatures & disgusting tin-sounding snares that sound like they're ripped straight out of Metallica's St. Anger album. I feel like I'm just hearing an orchestral version of crappy nu-metal/pop-rock songs. The compositions are so lazy & derivative, & just plain obnoxious a lot of the time.

I always wonder, what the heck does overproduced means and what exactly is the definition of soulless? There are terms thrown around a lot with music which basically means, 'I don't like this soundtrack'. There are a lot of tracks in XC I didn't like, like the standard battle music, but I would never call them lazy, overproduce, or soulless. I just say I didn't like them and moved on.

And if Xenoblade X is one of the worse RPG stories you ever played, sorry to say, you haven't played too many RPGs. The main story is not the focus point like Xenoblade and the music is very different too, but they are meant to be. Personally, I like that they took risks instead of just making XC2, which I much as a like, had a lot of traditional RPG elements and cliches, especially the last third of the game.

I haven't finished the game, but in terms of everything I care about, this game is a stepped up from Xenoblade. The battle system is better, exploring isn't such a pain, inventory management is tolerable, the quests are great and takes some twisted turns. and I loved having a map always on. And honestly, I find the survival story of humanity on some unknown, mysterious planet to be more interesting overall than Shulk's revenge story that was the driving force for almost a third of Xenoblade, mostly because revenge stories are really played out to me,
and the battle of gods arc that took over the last part of the game

But, you know, opinions.

I was looking at one of the restaurant's tables and noticed people smoking. Even tables with just aliens had an ashtray with a cigarette. You'd think humanity would at least try to leave such 'bad habits' behind huh.

Anyway, I've gotten some of my party over level 50 so I'm looking at these new skells. Any in particular that's recommended?

Also MuiMui sidequest spoiler.... I see what you did there, Monolith.

Malus

I think it's a real shame they're going away from this formula. He seems to want to return to it mainly because of fan reaction. The open world design meshes perfectly with Monolithsoft's excellent level design, playing to the biggest strength of the original xenoblade. I just think they need a bigger budget/team to better polish the cutscenes (though if that'll ever happen who knows). If I have one complaint about this game it's that the budget seems to be stretched paper thin in some areas.

I hear people complain about Sawano's tracks using technical music terms all the time that I don't get lol. All that I know is that if XCX has a soulless lazy soundtrack then there must hardly be any good music out there in gaming. I get why it's not some people's cup of tea but jeez, it comes off as hugely ambitious and varied to me if nothing else.

Thud

Your fuel gets drained at the start anyway you're meant to do it on foot.

He has a second phase? Who designed this garbage endgame... I could destroy everything except this thing.

I'll try again tomorrow. I wasn't expecting much, but urgh smh.

rhandino

Banned
eBO7bn2.jpg

CxMdhdZ.gif

skypunch

Banned
I always wonder, what the heck does overproduced means and what exactly is the definition of soulless? There are terms thrown around a lot with music which basically means, 'I don't like this soundtrack'. There are a lot of tracks in XC I didn't like, like the standard battle music, but I would never call them lazy, overproduce, or soulless. I just say I didn't like them and moved on.

The difference between the music of Xenoblade & the music in XCX is that the music in Xenoblade is more interesting compositionally, imo. There's a lot of colour to the compositions, more interesting chord changes, & more interesting rhythms. The compositions are dynamic.

Take, for example, this track from XCX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi4_DoVwto

The whole thing is pretty forgettable because it's just basic power chords slapped on top of a disgusting tin-sounding snare. The track doesn't twist & turn into interesting passages that heighten the intensity of a last boss battle a track like this does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjItmya4L0

The disappointing thing is that the Luxaar track isn't an exception in XCX.

And if Xenoblade X is one of the worse RPG stories you ever played, sorry to say, you haven't played too many RPGs. The main story is not the focus point like Xenoblade and the music is very different too, but they are meant to be. Personally, I like that they took risks instead of just making XC2, which I much as a like, had a lot of traditional RPG elements and cliches, especially the last third of the game.

I also admire Monolith Soft for trying something different. They could have easily done a Xenoblade 2.0, played it safe, & called it a day, but they didn't, but that doesn't mean I'll like everything that was born out of wanting to try something different.

I haven't finished the game, but in terms of everything I care about, this game is a stepped up from Xenoblade. The battle system is better, exploring isn't such a pain, inventory management is tolerable, the quests are great and takes some twisted turns. and I loved having a map always on. And honestly, I find the survival story of humanity on some unknown, mysterious planet to be more interesting overall than Shulk's revenge story that was the driving force for almost a third of Xenoblade, mostly because revenge stories are really played out to me,
and the battle of gods arc that took over the last part of the game

But, you know, opinions.

It's not the premise of humanity surviving on an unknown planet that I dislike, it's everything that happens within that of which I'm not a fan of.

HeroR

The difference between the music of Xenoblade & the music in XCX is that the music in Xenoblade is more interesting compositionally, imo. There's a lot of colour to the compositions, more interesting chord changes, & more interesting rhythms.

Take, for example, this track from XCX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi4_DoVwto

The whole thing is pretty forgettable because it's just basic power chords slapped on top of a disgusting tin-sounding snare. The track doesn't twist & turn into interesting passages that heighten the intensity of a last boss battle a track like this does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjItmya4L0

I also admire Monolith Soft for trying something different. They could have easily done a Xenoblade 2.0, played it safe, & called it a day, but they didn't, but that doesn't mean I'll like everything that was born out of wanting to try something different.

It's not the premise of humanity surviving on an unknown planet that I dislike, it's everything that happens within that of which I'm not a fan of.

Personally, I like that track and XC has some pretty forgettable tracks that sounds just as over composed tracks as you put it. I also liked the song better than the example you used as the better track. To be honest, most of the battle tracks also of like two are memorable in XC in my opinion. Doesn't help that "I See a Vision' tends to override any song playing and keep playing throughout the entire battle. Even funnier, I played through XC twice and I don't even remember the track you linked, which shows what a weak impression it left on me.

I think the execution comes off poorly since you can do so much with the side quests and a lot of them are more interesting than the main quest. While with XC the main quest is always in your face no matter where you are in the plot so you can forget it, even if you wanted to.

skypunch

Banned
Personally, I like that track and XC has some pretty forgettable tracks that sounds just as over composed tracks as you put it. I also liked the song better than the example you used as the better track. To be honest, most of the battle tracks also of like two are memorable in XC in my opinion. Doesn't help that "I See a Vision' tends to override any song playing and keep playing throughout the entire battle. Even funnier, I played through XC twice and I don't even remember the track you linked, which shows what a weak impression it left on me.

I think the execution comes off poorly since you can do so much with the side quests and a lot of them are more interesting than the main quest. While with XC the main quest is always in your face no matter where you are in the plot so you can forget it, even if you wanted to.

I want to reiterate that I do very much like XCX, & I've put 190 hours into it & I'm not stopping anytime soon, so I hope I don't come across as a hater. Like I said, there are a handful of tracks in XCX that I really do like (the Skell battle theme is one of my faves & Black Tar (the Skell version) is another, too. I also love the field themes, the ocean music, & others that I can't remember by name). I also admit that I'm not too hot on some of Xenoblade's field themes & that there are some weak tracks here & there, too. Ultimately, I'm just not a big fan of Sawano, but I've already said too much, so I'll stop filling this thread with my boring opinions. :p

Malus

What augments do I need in order to defend against the reflect/spike stuff from Telethia Plume?

edit: also I just realized I haven't been breaking the telethia's mid section.

HeroR

I want to reiterate that I do very much like XCX, & I've put 190 hours into it & I'm not stopping anytime soon, so I hope I don't come across as a hater. Like I said, there are a handful of tracks in XCX that I really do like (the Skell battle theme is one of my faves & Black Tar (the Skell version) is another, too. I also love the field themes, the ocean music, & others that I can't remember by name). I also admit that I'm not too hot on some of Xenoblade's field themes & that there are some weak tracks here & there. I guess it's expected with when you have 90+ tracks.

I understand where you are coming from. XC is one of my favorite games and between the two times I played, I easily log in over 300 hours. But I am not so in love with the game that I can see where XCX surpass it. And music is subjective since what you call over compose or soulless sounds great to me. Than again, I like anime tracks.

I just find it amusing that XC fans are acting like Xenogears fans who dismiss XC for not having a deep story and what they call shallow anime characters.

Renewed

Armour drops be damned. Have to hunt level 70+ just to reliably get Ultra Infinite.... shit battle traits and barely Prime quality half of the time.

And yeah, servers are under maintenance. Apparently about 100 minutes.

-Horizon-

Oh god so many side quests.

Just finished the pizza one. Could've been better. I think they concluded it too quickly.

The Metaphor one. That's not how that works lol.

I think the best one out of everything I've done so far has to be the Herbivore one. So funny after having to go through other more serious quests.
and lol that orpheon is a masochist

Kinda stuck trying to get my skell. I have to get 15000 in one go from probes, I have 2 basic research probes and one a step up from that plus a booster and a duplicator. Is it possible to get 15000 from that? I can't get it to go much over 9000
Joke not intended

random25

Kinda stuck trying to get my skell. I have to get 15000 in one go from probes, I have 2 basic research probes and one a step up from that plus a booster and a duplicator. Is it possible to get 15000 from that? I can't get it to go much over 9000
Joke not intended

image.php

Joking aside, try placing the research probes where there are sightseeing spots, and of course you need to find them. That will boost your revenue a few thousand per tick. Aside from that, just install more probes and you'll get 15k eventually.

I think I'm done with RPGs. My slide into casual gamer status is complete, and I'm OK with it. I just don't have the time or patience to learn all the systems of a game like this. It's utterly overwhelming.

Branson

I think I'm done with RPGs. My slide into casual gamer status is complete, and I'm OK with it. I just don't have the time or patience to learn all the systems of a game like this. It's utterly overwhelming.
The great thing about games is that there is no time limit to finishing them. You can take all the time you want to learn the systems. I understand though. I'm 4 hours in and still confused. I'm beating my head against it and trying to figure it out though.

image.php

Joking aside, try placing the research probes where there are sightseeing spots, and of course you need to find them. That will boost your revenue a few thousand per tick. Aside from that, just install more probes and you'll get 15k eventually.

Should have seen that avatar quote coming lol. Thanks, Luckily managed to just edge it out at Noctilum. Found a nice sightseeing spot with the A ranks for income that chained out all over the place and managed to create an elaborate little setup out of the dupe and booster with the g2.

Think I was wasting the dupe and booster through bad placement before.

EDIT: Skell unlocked now but it didn't explain the refuelling mechanic? Where or how do you refuel and can you park and leave it anywhere to remove the added UI info when you're not using it? It's gonna take me a long time to be able to buy skells for my crew too, guess I'd best find some high paying quests

Should have seen that avatar quote coming lol. Thanks, Luckily managed to just edge it out at Noctilum. Found a nice sightseeing spot with the A ranks for income that chained out all over the place and managed to create an elaborate little setup out of the dupe and booster with the g2.

Think I was wasting the dupe and booster through bad placement before.

EDIT: Skell unlocked now but it didn't explain the refuelling mechanic? Where or how do you refuel and can you park and leave it anywhere to remove the added UI info when you're not using it? It's gonna take me a long time to be able to buy skells for my crew too, guess I'd best find some high paying quests

They refuel (slowly) while parked, or you can pay 5000 Miranium for 3000 units in the garage at home.

Telethia Plume is the best grind I have so far for tickets. 300-400 tickets per fight with the wings and tail appendages cut off.

I thought you meant the one at Divine Roost and was going to question you before googling it and realising there's another Telethia.

I've never seen the Plume :eek:

Where is it? Googling just gives advice on actually battling it.

Z3M0G

Oh, yeah, everyone always bitches about that one.

Your best bet is to look at the spreadsheet in the OP to find them.

Or just use Reward Tickets.
So the game has no mechanism to tell you where to find them? This is one of the very first quests in the game... and it locks you in once you start it... it cant be the only time this will happen...

And what are reward tickets?

I mean, that is basically Sawano. Bombastic. Put as much shit in as possible, and he has an affinity for utterly incomprehensible and nonsense English/ German lyrics. Though this game is definitely some of his most egregious, like the guy mumbling in the background of the Noctilum theme.

random25

I thought you meant the one at Divine Roost and was going to question you before googling it and realising there's another Telethia.

I've never seen the Plume :eek:

Where is it? Googling just gives advice on actually battling it.

That's the squad mission online. Gonna need some BLADE medals for it though.

If you're just ticket farming, just cut off the wings and the tail, then abandon the mission since you just need those appendages cut for item drops. Then trade those for reward tickets.

That's the squad mission online. Gonna need some BLADE medals for it though.

If you're just ticket farming, just cut off the wings and the tail, then abandon the mission since you just need those appendages cut for item drops. Then trade those for reward tickets.

After 120 hours I have no idea what a BLADE medal is and have never done a squad mission.

Well let's have a look.

I'll never be able to grind up so much affinity before getting tired of this game so is there any of the side characters in particular that you guys would say have must see affinity missions?

Ventara

So I'm 6 Advanced Cores away from getting my Ares90. I'm so excited for it. Grinding for it wasn't as bad as I thought once I used lv60 scouts and grinded Telethia for tickets.

Anyways, I haven't read too much about it, since I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed with the grind for the Ether Blossom build, but from what I understand, Ares90 isn't the strongest Skell, and is meant to be used to grind for the weapons for those other lv60 skells, who will become stronger with said weapons. Correct?

If so, should I grind any sort of weapons or anything for the Ares90, or is there no point? Should I immediately jump into farming these weapons for the other skells? Maybe I should just focus on making my Ether Blossom character?

So I'm 6 Advanced Cores away from getting my Ares90. I'm so excited for it. Grinding for it wasn't as bad as I thought once I used lv60 scouts and grinded Telethia for tickets.

Anyways, I haven't read too much about it, since I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed with the grind for the Ether Blossom build, but from what I understand, Ares90 isn't the strongest Skell, and is meant to be used to grind for the weapons for those other lv60 skells, who will become stronger with said weapons. Correct?

If so, should I grind any sort of weapons or anything for the Ares90, or is there no point? Should I immediately jump into farming these weapons for the other skells? Maybe I should just focus on making my Ether Blossom character?

You can't grind weapons for the Ares. You can't change anything on it except augments.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'll never be able to grind up so much affinity before getting tired of this game so is there any of the side characters in particular that you guys would say have must see affinity missions?
It's pretty fast with the Support mission though...
Anyways, Mia, Nagi. Hope are my top 3.

A properly augmented Ares 90 is strong enough to take on anything on its own, the super-powered level 60 skells are essentially a vanity thing in that sense.

I'd say go make your ground build.

random25

You can't grind for Ares weapons as you can't change any parts of it. You can grind for powerful augments for it however.

You can't equip anything else of the Ares 90 but augments. The weapons on it are locked so you'll have to make due. Path I'm taking and you should also is Ares 90 > Ether Blossom Build > Super Skell Build. The Super Skell is basically a a lvl 60 Mastema with lvl. 60 Amdusias armor swapped onto it, a lvl 60 Zenith Cannon, and the augments to make the Skell itself stronger.

Top Bottom