• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Okay so people mock Metroid Other M for the whole "Adam has to let me use mah Varia Suit!" thing, right? Could someone please explain, then, why I WASN'T ABLE TO OVERDRIVE UNTIL JUST NOW. The reasoning given is literally (Post-Chapter 5 Spoilers)
because we're Mims... But we've been Mims. So why couldn't I do this before?
It makes no sense. >_>

Another thing
Other characters could use overdrive before then as well. Or it may have been an oversight for DLC characters since I'm pretty sure that I heard Alexa go into it multiple times before I did that story mission.

Pokemaniac

Another thing
Other characters could use overdrive before then as well. Or it may have been an oversight for DLC characters since I'm pretty sure that I heard Alexa go into it multiple times before I did that story mission.

I think you may be confusing Alexa's Overclock Art with Overdrive.

Steejee

I think the whining about the flight song is a little overdone; it only kicks in if you're high enough. I've flown around and had the regular background music playing.

That's just some spots with special music. There's a sort of priority system (from memory):
Standard BGM < Flight Song < Special Area Music (eg Divine Roost) < Battle Theme < Skell Theme < Overdrive Theme

I think I've concluded that the Nopon just have some sort of bizzarro extreme genetic luck and things just work out how they want for them constantly as a rule of the universe.

Very minor sidequest spoiler:

The Ma-Non who does the emotions detector mission will later say that when he tried to scan a Nopon it said something like 'Nopon Emotions can be unlocked for 136 credits' and he noted how insane their business focus is if they can unknowingly reprogram his scanner just by existing. I found that bit oddly hilarious.

Wish I had something to do with credits, I'm up to 42 Million and nothing to spend it on.

Zalusithix

Yep, the flight song doesn't care at all about altitude. Kind of the whole reason I said that it should lol. This is how the flight song reacts in a normal situation. The shortest possible tap of the button (and thus rise height) results in the immediate fade out of the existing BGM and fade in of the flight song. That song will then continue until you touch down, at which point the normal BGM restarts from the beginning. The whining isn't overdone. The system is just crap. Much like the rest of the mixing. I like the game, but a flaw is a flaw.

Steejee

So Zero Punctuation took a swing at it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116751-Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-Review

I think he kinda liked it.

That was definitely him being positive about it. He's only done like two reviews ever that were legit straight up positive, and one was for Portal. On top of that he *hates* JRPGs, like with an untold vengeance. Given that XCX is JRPG *as fuck* maybe it just managed to swing so far into JRPG territory that it broke all the things that can make JRPGs intolerable.

Firemind

How long is the main game? I didn't get around to playing it but I have 10 days off next week. Do you guys think I can beat it in 50 hours?

Firemind

If you focus on the story missions then it's very possible.
How much more challenging is it if you ignore most of the side missions? I don't want to suddenly run into a wall because I didn't pimp my skell. :lol

On the other hand I do enjoy a good challenge.

How much more challenging is it if you ignore most of the side missions? I don't want to suddenly run into a wall because I didn't pimp my skell. :lol

On the other hand I do enjoy a good challenge.

There is a way to easily level up to make up for ignoring side quests (which involves killing a high level enemy with servant sacrifice), the XCX speedrun does pretty much everything on foot by using Overdrive and beats the game in less than 7 hours with level 40-ish characters (could be less than 6 but the runner stopped playing the game).

Zalusithix

Worth mentioning is that a good chunk of the story aspects are actually detached from the main missions. So while you can beat the main game easily enough in that time frame, there will be a lot of stuff that you'll have missed out on. They're not essential by any stretch of the imagination, but the optional missions do serve to flesh out the otherwise relatively bare bones story/universe. Various affinity missions are also needed for select arts and skell superweapons.

Edit:
Wish I had something to do with credits, I'm up to 42 Million and nothing to spend it on.
You'll hit all 9s with nothing to use it on. You still have some time to watch it go up. =P

Are you sure you weren't skimming above the water? If you aren't in an area where the flight music is disabled (Dragon's Roost or Ganglion bases, for example), it'll always play when you're flying, regardless of altitude.

That's just some spots with special music. There's a sort of priority system (from memory):
Standard BGM < Flight Song < Special Area Music (eg Divine Roost) < Battle Theme < Skell Theme < Overdrive Theme

I remember hearing the standard BGM when flying low inside Sylvalum, and not in any bases.

Maybe I was in a special area?

Zalusithix

Anyone up for some Yggralith farming? I ran out of reward tickets and I need more :)

Pfft, I effectively ran "out" of tickets a hour after he got defeated last time. I put "out" in quotations because I technically still have around 2k, but when you're used to doing everything in bulk transactions requiring at least double that, it's the same thing. So yeah, plenty of Yggy farming in store for me tonight. I only have like 20 medals left though, so I'll have to get those up to 80+ again first.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What's the best way to extend Overdrive? Get some overdrive time extending arguments, or is there away to extend it while in Overdrive? I'm confused about all of that.

What's the best way to extend Overdrive? Get some overdrive time extending arguments, or is there away to extend it while in Overdrive? I'm confused about all of that.

On the ground, you can click Overdrive again while it's running, provided you can keep earning enough TP.

Not sure how it works in Skells, exactly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Green and blue arts extend it if I remember right. Purple arts give 1000 TP. I never could figure out an infinite overdrive build with what I've got though as I've got more of a burst build (not that the damage isn't fantastic already).

Zalusithix

Ground based overdrive is consistent and planning can enable infinite OD. Green and blue arts extend the time based on the counter. (To the tune of .05s and .1s multiplied by the counter value respectively.) Hitting the OD again when in OD will boost the time by the base OD amount at the cost of another 3k TP. Base OD length can be extended via augments and certain skills.

So with a maxed counter, you can sustain an OD for a long time with just normal skill rotations (assuming you have green and blue skills in rotation - which you should). At low counter values it isn't nearly as effective, and you'll need to sacrifice 3k TP for another OD. This is one of the reasons people use high hit count skills in tandem with green -> yellow/orange color combo to boost their OD as fast as possible. If your rotation doesn't have any high count skills then look into green/blue bonus augs. They'll give 3 and 10 count per use of their respective color arts. There's also augs to start out your OD at a higher count, though I view those as less useful than the bonus augs if it's an either or situation.

Edit: And obviously any infinite OD setup for ground is going to need some TP art gain augs. Even without firing off the OD itself a number of times, the TP art usage rate will drain TP way too fast without them. The only possible exception I can see to this would be a build that had many non-tp purple skills in the rotation and can reach max OD count quickly. (TP gain via purple art is variable based on counter: 1k at max.)

Skell OD is an entirely different beast which is chance based. The OD has a varying chance of extending which is influenced by how many times it has already extended, the number of times you've gotten into cockpit mode, and perhaps potential as well (don't think potential in skells is entirely understood still). Augments to increase the chance of an extension exist, but it's probably simpler to plan your build around GP gain so you can activate as soon as it disengages (or soon after). This requires the use of GP art gain augs or MSL-MAG diskbombs as sidearms to have sufficient GP gain. Having a 6k GP cap is required if you want it truly infinite. 3k will mandate periods of time without OD which can be deadly if you're relying on the OD to keep you alive.

alvis.exe

As has been mentioned already, for ground combat, you can hit the Overdrive button again at any time during Overdrive to extend your Overdrive duration. But once you get to the higher counter numbers, just using green and blue (especially blue) Arts is enough to sustain it forever.

So really the key is making sure you always have enough TP to use, through some combination of Skills that increase your base TP, Skills that increase your TP gain, Art TP Gain Augments, or even Arts that increase TP, whether as their primary function or as a bonus. There's also a Skill that increases duration of Overdrive as well as Augments and Skills (and Augments too?) that up your Overdrive Counter.

Also it's nice to have Arts with short animation times so you don't have to wait for a lengthy animation to stop. Arts that hit multiple times can help build the counter up faster as well.

so someone has taken over while I was away playing The Witness
WVW69i24rI4ihjDXDe

took me a few days but I have returned
WVW69i3ET3QnrOF_oQ

I better go check my bikini charts too

Zalusithix

I can only assume the pit is done via pinning down the analog and allowing the game to run unattended for hours. You'd have to have otherworldly levels of patience to manually jump down a pit 10k+ times.

I can only assume the pit is done via pinning down the analog and allowing the game to run unattended for hours. You'd have to have otherworldly levels of patience to manually jump down a pit 10k+ times.

You can easily just hold the control stick while doing something else.

this is a pretty good idea

I wish I could find a way to auto buy 900 bikinis per day for the other chart lol

You can easily just hold the control stick while doing something else.
I put it on the gamepad off tv mode and play PS4

at the end of the day that board depends on who is willing to keep the Wii U running the longest lol

Hey guys. Just wanted to say I finally finished up Fallout 4 and started playing this last weekend. I was a bit worried about starting such a long game after playing so much fallout. And honestly I was a bit worried about playing such a long game on my Wii U. Boy am I surprised. The game is gorgeous. Those draw distances... man this game blows FO4 (ps4) out of the water. I know they are very different games but good lord I am loving it so far. I am only on chapter 4 but I think I'm really going to to like this game. The battle system is engaging and fun. So far it seems like there a TONS of weapons/armor and I really like that. The weapons in fallout were disappointing. The JRPG charm is really refreshing too. I haven't played a good JRPG in years because I thought they were kind of tired and worn out but man, I'm back in a big way. I sit here at work thinking about playing this game. I can't wait to get a skell. I'm really glad I picked this one up GAF.

Hey guys. Just wanted to say I finally finished up Fallout 4 and started playing this last weekend. I was a bit worried about starting such a long game after playing so much fallout. And honestly I was a bit worried about playing such a long game on my Wii U. Boy am I surprised. The game is gorgeous. Those draw distances... man this game blows FO4 (ps4) out of the water. I know they are very different games but good lord I am loving it so far. I am only on chapter 4 but I think I'm really going to to like this game. The battle system is engaging and fun. So far it seems like there a TONS of weapons/armor and I really like that. The weapons in fallout were disappointing. The JRPG charm is really refreshing too. I haven't played a good JRPG in years because I thought they were kind of tired and worn out but man, I'm back in a big way. I sit here at work thinking about playing this game. I can't wait to get a skell. I'm really glad I picked this one up GAF.

Welcome to Mira

we will be here if you have more to say soon :p it gets better and better

Zalusithix

this is a pretty good idea

I wish I could find a way to auto buy 900 bikinis per day for the other chart lol

I put it on the gamepad off tv mode and play PS4

at the end of the day that board depends on who is willing to keep the Wii U running the longest lol
With the swimsuits you can quickly buy a ton at once and then purge them. Since the action is predictable, you could make a Lego robot to do the button sequences for you. The only thing that could possibly cause it to screw up is losing the internet connection / server going down.

With the swimsuits you can quickly buy a ton at once and then purge them. Since the action is predictable, you could make a Lego robot to do the button sequences for you. The only thing that could possibly cause it to screw up is losing the internet connection / server going down.

ha ha

I might just invest in a lego robot, great stuff thanks

Zalusithix

ha ha

I might just invest in a lego robot, great stuff thanks

Lego Mindstorms kits make for extremely flexible rapid prototyping for things like this. With the right setup it'd even be able to detect a disconnect message, deal with it, save, exit to the title screen and restart the process anew.

Alternatively, if you have a 3D printer, you could fix the controller to the print bed and hand write a repeating code to use the nozzle as a finger for the sequence lol.

Lego Mindstorms kits make for extremely flexible rapid prototyping for things like this. With the right setup it'd even be able to detect a disconnect message, deal with it, save, exit to the title screen and restart the process anew.

wow that is pretty cool. I really have to look into that

edit: just checked amazon a bit too expensive but bookmarked as a toy to get myself later

Alternatively, if you have a 3D printer, you could fix the controller to the print bed and hand write a repeating code to use the nozzle as a finger for the sequence lol.

who are you?!

I am glad you have no intension to join the leaderboards or I'll be doing things the hard way while you have 100 easy solutions to do no work at all to get the top spot lol

Zalusithix

wow that is pretty cool. I really have to look into that

edit: just checked amazon a bit too expensive but bookmarked as a toy to get myself later
Yeah, they're not cheap, but they're a bargain compared to sourcing the parts to create a rig from scratch using dedicated microcontrollers / stepper motors / various sensors. At least they are when you factor in build time and their integration into the Lego ecosystem.

who are you?!

I am glad you have no intension to join the leaderboards or I'll be doing things the hard way while you have 100 easy solutions to do no work at all to get the top spot lol

Lol, don't worry, my free non-gaming time is dedicated to the creation of a 4 axis 3D throttle system right now. I don't have the time to spend on gaming leaderboards for shits and giggles. ;P

Celegus

XCX tossed Fallout 4 on the curb and ate its lunch for me. I'll get back to it someday, probably...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there a good list somewhere with all the places to find the necessary Booster and Storage probes for the 100K Miranium goal?

I know the "Kristy's" quest gives out Booster probes, do I pretty much just need to finish up all of those to have enough?

Zalusithix

Is there a good list somewhere with all the places to find the necessary Booster and Storage probes for the 100K Miranium goal?

I know the "Kristy's" quest gives out Booster probes, do I pretty much just need to finish up all of those to have enough?

You'll want to finish her main pioneer quests for the two boost and three storage probes. You'll also want to do Tobias' missions for the duplicators. Most guides I've seen want two level 2 boosters which would require more quests, but 10 storage, 4 duplicator, and two boosters (1 lv I & 1 lv II) is technically just enough to put you at 102k storage when used with this layout:

Storage: 205, 207, 208, 210, 211, 214, 215, 218, 223, 225
Duplicator: 202, 204, 209, 216
Boost 1: 203
Boost 2: 212

Is this game worth buying a Wii U? I'm scared that a game like this will become a collectors item and buying now might be my best chance to play it.. Of course there are other games on the system I would love to play, but my current backlog is so large that those titles are lower priority

Tripon

Is this game worth buying a Wii U? I'm scared that a game like this will become a collectors item and buying now might be my best chance to play it.. Of course there are other games on the system I would love to play, but my current backlog is so large that those titles are lower priority

I have 150 hours in the game and haven't beated it yet. If you like FFXII MMO-lite style of action, get the game.

Golnei

It'll still be available digitally, even if it'll probably never get put on sale for more than 11.3%.

As a game, it's fairly uneven - along with unintuitive systems, a weak central narrative and polarising presentation, it comes with a mountain of minor inconveniences. Unless you're absolutely certain you'll love the things it does get right (the relatively well-designed world and passable art direction considering hardware limitations), it might not be the best idea to get a console for it right now, especially since Wii Us will likely crater in price even further over the next few years.

Zalusithix

Rarity isn't an issue these days when everything is available digitally. Heck, even if you got the game in physical form, you'd still want the digital data packs that help it load faster.

As for myself, I bought the Wii U back during the MK8 bundle, but XCX was the driving force for me to do so. Outside of a brief stint with MK8, it pretty much sat around collecting dust until XCX released. Now I've got over 400* hours logged in the game, so yeah, I'd say it's worth it if you end up liking it. That's a gamble though - one that you'd have to factor in other the games on the system that you'd like to try as well.

I wont bother with speculation on the NX or Wii U price drops as that's another topic all together and tangential to whether the Wii U is worth it here and now.

*Technically over 450 hours, but I'll take 50 hours out for idle time where I'm waiting for resources to replenish. Damn Bonjelium.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, I just hit 100 hours and post chapter-12 and I FINALLY hit the point of, "Why am I still playing this game?"

Post Chapter-12 game play is literally just hunting down materials/monsters and killing them over and over again to get the drops you need, to craft the Aguments that help you kill other monsters faster, so you can get the drops you need to craft the Aguments that help you kill other monsters faster, so you can get....

LOL. And somehow, I keep turning this game damn game on! It's the combination of the music (I STILL love it), the visuals (such a beautiful game), the monsters (such neat alien/monster designs) and the reward of watching numbers pop over a monsters head and constantly asking yourself, "I wonder if I can get bigger numbers?" and searching out huge monsters to see if you are strong enough to beat anything in your path.

This is definitely such a weird gameplay hook for me. I am NOT an MMO type of gamer, and I really enjoy story and strategy and challenge in my games... and honestly post game in X has NONE of that. But like I said, this game has the Presentation XX agument four times over and keeps me coming back.

But for real though, I think I may/need to be done with this game. I'm only at Chapter 2 on Trails in the Sky SC...

Zalusithix

Okay, I just hit 100 hours and post chapter-12 and I FINALLY hit the point of, "Why am I still playing this game?"

Post Chapter-12 game play is literally just hunting down materials/monsters and killing them over and over again to get the drops you need, to craft the Aguments that help you kill other monsters faster, so you can get the drops you need to craft the Aguments that help you kill other monsters faster, so you can get....

LOL. And somehow, I keep turning this game damn game on! It's the combination of the music (I STILL love it), the visuals (such a beautiful game), the monsters (such neat alien/monster designs) and the reward of watching numbers pop over a monsters head and constantly asking yourself, "I wonder if I can get bigger numbers?" and searching out huge monsters to see if you are strong enough to beat anything in your path.

This is definitely such a weird gameplay hook for me. I am NOT an MMO type of gamer, and I really enjoy story and strategy and challenge in my games... and honestly post game in X has NONE of that. But like I said, this game has the Presentation XX agument four times over and keeps me coming back.

But for real though, I think I may/need to be done with this game. I'm only at Chapter 2 on Trails in the Sky SC...
Well at least you're not farming Yggy 90 times in a row for all the different colored blade wear yet. (For costume options, because why not.) Doing that yesterday after work probably wasn't the best idea though. Literally started nodding off to sleep on some of the fights lol. Opened my eyes only to find Yggy still hopelessly flailing about in a futile attempt to kill me. Poor Yggy. Mission accomplished at any rate.

That said, I'm reaching the point of being done with the game. Once I finish building the evasion Formula skell and a beam Lailah, I'm not sure I'll have it in me to continue on any further. Perhaps I'll toy with a reflect skell build, but I doubt it. I'm getting burned out on farming, and there's only a handful of Tyrants that are of any interest to fight at this point. Even those become old hat after awhile. I might try enforcing a no-fast-travel, no-ticket-farming, no-return-to-skell mandate upon myself and see if that sparks more life into the game or if it just ends up frustrating me lol.

This is where I am as well. Getting the Ares 90 was easy, and ever since then I've been steamrolling everything. Now I'm farming to get enough materials for a level 60 skell (gonna try Lailah), as well as some augments. After that it's a few more affinity missions and the superbosses and yeah, that'll be it. The original Xenoblade wasn't like this at the end. By the time I was done with missions and all of that I was ready to take on those superbosses so the progression worked really well. Here it's a bit of a lull. Slightly disappointing in that regard imo.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get myself a WiiU.. I've wanted one for a long time but have just put it off since I'm stacked with backlogs for xbox1 and ps4 and vita, but I think xenoblade will surely justify my purchase as the genre is right up my alley..

Top Bottom