• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

mclem

Storage probes (10 IIRC) need to be placed with duplicator probes and booster probes. It's the only way you'll get over 100k storage. You can get 120k+ using Noctilum. More with Cauldros, but there you have to give up bonjelium mining points, so that's a bad choice.

Yeah, it's the lack of probes themselves I have issue with, I've only got about five, I think. I'm using those five to get me 50k storage, so I've enough Miranium to get by, but the lack of major stock is a problem.

Zalusithix

Yeah, it's the lack of probes themselves I have issue with, I've only got about five, I think. I'm using those five to get me 50k storage, so I've enough Miranium to get by, but the lack of major stock is a problem.

It sounds like you have the ones provided by missions, but not the ones you'd find out on the field. There's a listing out there somewhere with the locations of the other storage probes. You'll definitely want to get them for post game stuff. They'll be required for the Ares, and even if you didn't want that skell, you'll want decent storage for being able to socket stuff more than once before having to wait for ticks / run the support mission.

tkscz

Speaking of probes, I can't find any research probes. I know there are a lot of treasures in the game, but the ones I found thus far (mechanical) only gave me mining probes, and I need research ones.

Also, finally beat the main story. I spent a ton of time doing side quest before hand, but have a ton more left to do. At 109 hours in.

Also (again), I was lied to about the fashion wear. Someone told me you couldn't do it until near the end and it only works with specific gear. Not sure why they told me that when you can do it at anytime and with anything.

mclem

It sounds like you have the ones provided by missions, but not the ones you'd find out on the field. There's a listing out there somewhere with the locations of the other storage probes. You'll definitely want to get them for post game stuff. They'll be required for the Ares, and even if you didn't want that skell, you'll want decent storage for being able to socket stuff more than once before having to wait for ticks / run the support mission.

Given I'm still only on Chapter 9, I've had a quick look at the breakdown and there's still a few I've yet to reach in the story (I'm on Kirsty's Sylvalum stuff, which I think will give one) so I think I'll be okay in the long run.

Zalusithix

Speaking of probes, I can't find any research probes. I know there are a lot of treasures in the game, but the ones I found thus far (mechanical) only gave me mining probes, and I need research ones.

Also, finally beat the main story. I spent a ton of time doing side quest before hand, but have a ton more left to do. At 109 hours in.

Also (again), I was lied to about the fashion wear. Someone told me you couldn't do it until near the end and it only works with specific gear. Not sure why they told me that when you can do it at anytime and with anything.

Assuming the person wasn't completely bullshitting you, they might have been referencing the stuff you can make at the terminal (blade wear, bunny outfits, etc) vs general equip-anything fashion. Creating that stuff requires lots of materials that aren't the easiest to come by until you're fairly well along in levels. At any rate, it should have been self evident early on that you could use anything for fashion. The menu option was always there. =P

As for the research probes, there's a number of locations documented here. Once you have enough so that strategic placement will allow you to finish the Tobias quests, you can pretty much flush them down the toilet. Mining is all you care about in the end game.

h0tp0ck3t

That's how it worked in the JP version so maybe they hadn't played the US/PAL release?

-Horizon-

Ah yeah I need to keep an eye on Aki for the next few days so if you guys ever have a little time please post that chart so I can watch what he is up to

unless he goes offline for weeks again

I'm at 1020 hours I'll need a new Wii U by June
I don't have a screenshot but I did take note that that person's score is at 123817 and they're still #1 for that deep diver category.

Zalusithix

I don't have a screenshot but I did take note that that person's score is at 123817 and they're still #1 for that deep diver category.
Photographic evidence!
j4iXTZM.png

Photographic evidence!

thanks for the update guys

since I am in the east coast I get updated charts at 10:10AM EST

I cannot check it myself since I am staying offline for a while and see what AKI does

my current game clock is 1067 hours so at least I can prove I am not cheating lol

edit: I don't like the fact that AKI only jumped for 1,677 yesterday should I show my bump to encourage him to jump?

Gvitor

Okay, so I got to the last chapter... I was underlv (lv 48, final boss is 50) and I was using Celica as the 4th member and she was like lv 35 at best with no Skell. So yeah, granted, not the best setup.

I got through Luxaar phases 1 and 2 though, me on ground and the other 2 on skells. They lost their Skells, but I managed to beat him, but then they throw the goddamn Chimeras. Seriously, that is ridiculous. They're about 7 lvs below me, but they still annihilate me because there are so goddamn many of them and it's impossible to separate the group of TEN. My whole team dies in a second.

This is a fight that is pretty much impossible without Skells, I assume, at least for my class (galactic knight). I used my skell and managed to kill 7 out of 10 before getting it destroyed as well. Now my only option is to quit the game and reload the save before the chapter began, and then try to keep everyone's skells usable until this part. Words cannot describe how pissed I am right now. I hate when games pull out crap like this. I just want it to end. If the end wasn't so close, I'd shelve it for a while...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, so I got to the last chapter... I was underlv (lv 48, final boss is 50) and I was using Celica as the 4th member and she was like lv 35 at best with no Skell. So yeah, granted, not the best setup.

I got through Luxaar phases 1 and 2 though, me on ground and the other 2 on skells. They lost their Skells, but I managed to beat him, but then they throw the goddamn Chimeras. Seriously, that is ridiculous. They're about 7 lvs below me, but they still annihilate me because there are so goddamn many of them and it's impossible to separate the group of TEN. My whole team dies in a second.

This is a fight that is pretty much impossible without Skells, I assume, at least for my class (galactic knight). I used my skell and managed to kill 7 out of 10 before getting it destroyed as well. Now my only option is to quit the game and reload the save before the chapter began, and then try to keep everyone's skells usable until this part. Words cannot describe how pissed I am right now. I hate when games pull out crap like this. I just want it to end. If the end wasn't so close, I'd shelve it for a while...

Have you reclassed and made a custom combo? It really makes ground builds a lot stronger.

Gvitor

Have you reclassed and made a custom combo? It really makes ground builds a lot stronger.

Defense/HPwise as well? Because that's what's killing me. I can kill those scrubs in 2, maybe 3 arts if they weren't in a group of 10.

But no, I haven't reclassed. I didn't like that each time you change classes you restart very, very slow, relying on your useless team to do the job up until you get good arts. So I got to galactic knight and got confortable, and then never changed it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Defense/HPwise as well? Because that's what's killing me. I can kill those scrubs in 2, maybe 3 arts if they weren't in a group of 10.

But no, I haven't reclassed. I didn't like that each time you changed classes you restart very, very slow, relying on your useless team to do the job up until you get good arts. So I got to galactic knight and got confortable, and then never changed it.

Once you max out a line you can carry over the weapons to a fresh one. So you can level a new class with the weapons from an old one, eventually combining the two and using weapons from two different classes.

I think I may be working a little too hard on exploring the world and not enough on the story. I've completed every FrontierNav miranium point, I've bought four L50 skells, I've done the three Off The Records, almost all my characters are in the 50s (MC is 60, of course; a couple of the DLC ones are 40ish), I've almost maxed out every class (one to go!), 140 hours in...

...I've only just finished Chapter 9.

Loving it still.

(Although, holy hell,
Calore
was a bastard)

It does feel like at the moment there's no middle ground; everything I fight is either trivial or damn near instagibs me. Level doesn't seem to be a great benchmark; I can struggle with a L58 Tyrant crab but easily kill an L63 Tyrant Sacrifole.

(Speaking of which: Are your stats when in a Skell a flat rate, determined by the Skell/weapons/augments, or do your own character level and stats have an effect?)

(And while I'm on the subject, it feels like I have far more Mining probes than I have Storage probes to accomodate. Have I missed a stash of Storage somewhere? I think I'm using them reasonably optimally, although are they at all effected by the ratings of the probe site?)

Sounds like the same thing I went through at that point. It was getting kinda lopsided before hand but as soon as I unlocked flying it became the binary "this dies right away" or "this is clearly meant for end game". Calore also seemed to be my last barrier as well and that was toppled easily with the antimatter gun super weapon that I made after exploring the world fully with flight. Levels and classes also lost their meaning since I was also one shotting Joker and all the things around him with it.

Felt bad having to actually force myself to not use the overpowered stuff like that and just get out of my skell to have some normally paced combat. Game really could have used more forced on foot stuff like complexes and ruins.

Zalusithix

Well you did pretty much answer your own gripe in the first bit there. I mean c'mon, you went into the final chapter with a level 35 4th party member, and less than 4 skells when you don't have one level 50 skell to compensate. That was a recipe for a challenge, if not an outright disaster. I mean, it's possible if you were running a hybrid class and had good overdrive setup, but as a stock class relying on party members? Yeah, not going to turn out well.

Spend a small chunk of time getting to 50, and buy a 50 Mastema. Deck it out with multiple drones and a buster launcher. Throw some phoenixes on the other skells. That should get you to the next stage with ease. Not sure if you'll clear the ground part though with a gimped 4th member.

Gvitor

Well, I never had any problems fighting with an underlv 4th member before, even when they die and leave only the other 2 with me. In fact, I don't think she is the main problem here, because everyone dies very quickly regardless of level, since the
10 monsters gang up on us at the same time.

I'm also at a much higher level than them, the problem lies in their number.

That post was basically a rant, since I know what I have to do, which is grind up to 50 so I can get better Skells and manage to keep them usable up until this specific fight. It's just a shame that I have to go back to a previous save to do so. Sure, the game said it would be a point of no return, but when ruined teammates' skells need to be repaired in the hangar as well, they should've at least prepared another way to restore them there, should the skells fall in battle in the last fights.

But I didn't know about the weapons carrying over, though, so thanks, y'all.

Curufinwe

I've grinded up to level 55 and have left my WiiU on all day to earn more money, so tonight I hope to be able to buy my second level 50 Skell and then do the final mission.

This is sad. I completed the final challenge I set before myself (defeating the Blood Lobster). Now I just turn on the game and wander aimlessly. You know you're playing a game that hits your sweet spot when you finish it but can't really bring yourself to stop....also I might need help.

Zalusithix

ah guess AKI went offline again do you know if my numbers updated I had to shutdown last night to switch to PS and turned the game back on so it must have updated guess I'll check curious if I am still really far behind

You're at 122k right now, so "only" less than 2k jumps behind. It's kind of odd when thousands of jumps constitutes a minor difference... =P

Golnei

Not sure, but Lara Nara definitely is. I'm kind of surprised that much campiness came out of 8-4play's localization.

I'd be interested in seeing what he was like in the original script - he's clearly a gay stereotype in either version, but I'm not sure how much worse he would have been before the localisation, given the general track record of those archetypes in Japanese media.

In any case, although there were a couple of gay NPCs in the game (the Laras, the ill-fated Wrothian lesbians,
Mia's dads
), I highly doubt any of the playable characters or central cast were ever intended to be anything but straight.

I've been away on business since mid January. I'll get back home in mid March. I really hope I haven't forgotten where I was or how to play when i get back...

I'd just gotten my first level 50 Skell...

Anyone else taken an extended break from play? Was coming back second nature or was it hard to get started again?

I have tons of games in my backlog that I was enjoying until I had to step away and never got back into them afterwards.

Syn23

Hi GAF, I need your help.

I'm missing the last three hexagons to 100% the map.
One is
Telethia
, but I'm not sure about the other two.
This one (link) should be
Luxaar’s Xern
, right?
And I don't know what is this one (link). I was thinking that was
Go-rha, the Guardian Deity
, but I've beaten him and it didn't unlock the hexagon. I searched a bit, but I couldn't find any other tyrant.

Renewed

Hi GAF, I need your help.

I'm missing the last three hexagons to 100% the map.
One is
Telethia
, but I'm not sure about the other two.
This one (link) should be
Luxaar’s Xern
, right?
And I don't know what is this one (link). I was thinking that was
Go-rha, the Guardian Deity
, but I've beaten him and it didn't unlock the hexagon. I searched a bit, but I couldn't find any other tyrant.

The first one is correct, the second one is probably a Dilus (crocodile like indigen) named
Sarcosuchus, the Iron-eater that hides underwater until you get near it. Move all around near the Dilus until you see it pop up and hear the battle theme.

Syn23

The first one is correct, the second one is probably a Dilus (crocodile like indigen) named
Sarcosuchus, the Iron-eater that hides underwater until you get near it. Move all around near the Dilus until you see it pop up and hear the battle theme.
Thanks!
That was indeed him.

Zalusithix

Excellent as always. But it's high time to serve another audience and feature the male cast next, yes?

With the structure of that question, I can only assume you mean male Manons. ;P Actually, it's a pity that there are none... A Manon would be a lot more interesting to have around than most of the male party member options. Might have even gotten me to use a male party member! (Sorry L, but the Manon quirks are more amusing.)

With the structure of that question, I can only assume you mean male Manons. ;P Actually, it's a pity that there are none... A Manon would be a lot more interesting to have around than most of the male party member options. Might have even gotten me to use a male party member! (Sorry L, but the Manon quirks are more amusing.)

I like the Man-on quite a bit (many people seem to hate them due to their voices, sadly) but I'll take L over them and am quite a fan of much of the playable male cast, thanks. Remarkably, despite having such a large playable cast, there's only one male and one female character I straight up don't like. Quite a feat for a JRPG.

Zipzo

Banned
Cross posting this, already hit Reddit and Gamefaqs.

Hey dudes. Now that Mira's Angels is done I'm looking for another series I could run, and I thought it would be cool to do viewer polled build showcases.

I get a lot of requests to do very specific combinations for videos, and of course if I did every combination in existence it would be a really long list of videos with a lot of redundancy so I thought I would make this kind of a fun thing. Basically I'll take a poll for the upcoming video for both melee and ranged weapons. The winner of each category will be what I use, and I'll put together the strongest build I can come up with, kill a bunch of tyrants and make everyone smile. You are allowed to vote in both polls, so if you have a specific combo you want to see make sure you vote for both weapons in both polls.

This series will be called "The People's Build".

ONLY NOTABLE RULE : All proceeding episodes will ban the weapons used in the most previous episode in order to keep things fresh and interesting. If the winners of this first poll is a combination that I have very recently already done in-depth I may disqualify the first place winner of one or both categories and pick the runner-up.

Vote for MELEE weapons here ------ > http://strawpoll.me/6913537

Vote for RANGED weapons here ----> http://strawpoll.me/6913563

Happy voting! Can't wait to see what I have to work with :)

Zalusithix

Cross posting this, already hit Reddit and Gamefaqs.

Hey dudes. Now that Mira's Angels is done I'm looking for another series I could run, and I thought it would be cool to do viewer polled build showcases.

I get a lot of requests to do very specific combinations for videos, and of course if I did every combination in existence it would be a really long list of videos with a lot of redundancy so I thought I would make this kind of a fun thing. Basically I'll take a poll for the upcoming video for both melee and ranged weapons. The winner of each category will be what I use, and I'll put together the strongest build I can come up with, kill a bunch of tyrants and make everyone smile. You are allowed to vote in both polls, so if you have a specific combo you want to see make sure you vote for both weapons in both polls.

This series will be called "The People's Build".

ONLY NOTABLE RULE : All proceeding episodes will ban the weapons used in the previous episode in order to keep things fresh and interesting. If the winners of this first poll is a combination that I have very recently already done in-depth I may disqualify the first place winner of one or both categories and pick the runner-up.

Vote for MELEE weapons here ------ > http://strawpoll.me/6913537

Vote for RANGED weapons here ----> http://strawpoll.me/6913563

Happy voting! Can't wait to see what I have to work with :)

Rather than a combo you've already done, I'd worry about the vote being rigged to be a combo with as little art synergy as possible. After all, trolling and poll manipulation are two of the internet's favorite pastimes. ;)

alvis.exe

I like the Man-on quite a bit (many people seem to hate them due to their voices, sadly) but I'll take L over them and am quite a fan of much of the playable male cast, thanks. Remarkably, despite having such a large playable cast, there's only one male and one female character I straight up don't like. Quite a feat for a JRPG.

Let me guess... is Boze one of them? :p He's probably my least favorite character but I wouldn't say I dislike him. At least his shtick is kinda unique?

Personally I think the older average age of the characters and modern/sci-do setting really help. Earning that "alcohol reference" label on the ESRB rating haha.

Let me guess... is Boze one of them? :p He's probably my least favorite character but I wouldn't say I dislike him. At least his shtick is kinda unique?

Personally I think the older average age of the characters and modern/sci-do setting really help. Earning that "alcohol reference" label on the ESRB rating haha.

Yes, Boze' would be the guy. I pretty much hated everything about him from his presumptive "I'm the teacher you're the student" attitude, to his racism, to his abusive teaching methods, to his tedious "let me tell you about Jesu...-er Buddha shtick. (yes, I did all of his affinity missions and heart to hearts for completion sake. I still hated him at the end of it).

Zipzo

Banned
Rather than a combo you've already done, I'd worry about the vote being rigged to be a combo with as little art synergy as possible. After all, trolling and poll manipulation are two of the internet's favorite pastimes. ;)
This is the most preferable outcome & exactly what I'm hoping people will vote with in mind :)

I know I'm going to try to rig the vote to try to get him to do video about Longsword/Dual Guns, just because he's already made a video trying to get people to try other things. :3

Yes, Boze' would be the guy. I pretty much hated everything about him from his presumptive "I'm the teacher you're the student" attitude, to his racism, to his abusive teaching methods, to his tedious "let me tell you about Jesu...-er Buddha shtick. (yes, I did all of his affinity missions and heart to hearts for completion sake. I still hated him at the end of it).

Well to be fair, he was an actual instructor, not just some jerk who was pretending to be a teacher.
Also it would be Speciesism.
I also wasn't a big fan of him.

Zalusithix

Well to be fair, he was an actual instructor, not just some jerk who was pretending to be a teacher.

As somebody that strives to be enlightened, he should be wise enough to not automatically assume that somebody they've never met is below them. That's just arrogance - a trait he never truly sheds. It'd be one thing if they made him the ultimate badass where no player character could ever match him. Then you might be able to excuse his pride. As it stands though, he's just another NPC that's likely less capable than the player.

I can't say that aspect really made me hate him though. If anything his foolish pride was the one part that kind of amused me. Hard not to chuckle at a guy proclaiming his superiority when he was passed out for the majority of the last battle.

Edit: To be clear, that aspect annoyed me in the beginning. but became more comical as time went on. His other personality traits, however, make sure that I continue to dislike him.

I know and almost used the correct word but I'll be dipped if I've ever seen shows or games commonly refer to aliens as different species instead of constantly referring to them as races, so I just went with it...and frankly it annoys me. And as for him being an actual teacher, sure, but my character wasn't his frigging student. Few other characters in the game rubbed me quite the wrong way like he did, and I'm including straight up villains here.

RiggyRob

Part 5 of our Let's Play, taking on the tyrant cinicula: https://youtu.be/SaEzaEm-BB4

We actually achieve something! And it only took us two and a half hours to do so.

I assume tyrants can be toppled/dazed/whatever the status effects in Xenoblade X, without needing to initiate a chain attack/the Xenoblade X-specific version of a chain attack, right?

We couldn't actually read the effects of the Arts at the bottom (and that's silly since I should be paying attention to that, but whatever), so I'm not sure if Pimmsy actually stopped the cinicula from attacking when she used them.

squadr0n

How do I use consumable items like the tensifier, and is the cap for miranium 1200?

Also how do I use my skell in multiplayer missions?

Renewed

how do I use consumable items like the tensifier, and is the cap for miranium 1200?

Consumables can be used in the battle menu (press + and then press X until you get to the consumables) and the miranium cap can increase by placing storage probes.

If the mission says Skells are prohibited, then you can't use them. If you have a mission that allows Skells, you just have to get in it (as long as it's not broken, in which case just head to the BLADE terminal to access the garage).

squadr0n

Consumables can be used in the battle menu (press + and then press X until you get to the consumables) and the miranium cap can increase by placing storage probes.

If the mission says Skells are prohibited, then you can't use them. If you have a mission that allows Skells, you just have to get in it (as long as it's not broken, in which case just head to the BLADE terminal to access the garage).

Ok thanks, I just started checking out the MP stuff lately and just did one where my entire party had skells accept me lol. Mine was broken at the time though so that makes sense.

Top Bottom