• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Looking to get some tips, I've loving this game but have kind of hit a wall with character development.

I'm almost level 19 and most of the weapons at the store are useless to me. I improved my current equipment a lot through augments and upgrading their traits and with few exceptions the stuff I have equipped is far better than anything that will become equip-able at level 20. I also haven't found any equipment in a long time that's better than what I have.

I also seem to be getting Battle Points extremely slowly. Almost all of my equipped arts are level 3 and it costs a lot to get any higher than that. I've been nervous to put too many points into skills since I can see that there are better ones than what I have access to now that I'll unlock later, and they're scarce enough right now that I don't want to waste them.

I understand this isn't a loot game, but is this normal? Am I missing something? I do really like exploring but is that literally all there is?

Mephala

Looking to get some tips, I've loving this game but have kind of hit a wall with character development.

I'm almost level 19 and most of the weapons at the store are useless to me. I improved my current equipment a lot through augments and upgrading their traits and with few exceptions the stuff I have equipped is far better than anything that will become equip-able at level 20. I also haven't found any equipment in a long time that's better than what I have.

I also seem to be getting Battle Points extremely slowly. Almost all of my equipped arts are level 3 and it costs a lot to get any higher than that. I've been nervous to put too many points into skills since I can see that there are better ones than what I have access to now that I'll unlock later, and they're scarce enough right now that I don't want to waste them.

I understand this isn't a loot game, but is this normal? Am I missing something? I do really like exploring but is that literally all there is?

End game is a loot game with materials to craft better stuff. Mean while you will probably find equips closer to your level from enemies that are closer to your levels. Tyrants will also drop better gear but they are more difficult.

Regarding shops, make sure you have been funding them with Miranium to increase their inventory, you do so at the terminal to the right of the shop terminal.

Sometimes a good set of skills is better than strict stat boosts. It somewhat depends on your class and set up but in general higher potential gives you higher damage with your TP skills.

Treasure Sensor equipment helps with drop rates. You can equip your party with this gear as well.

Jubern

I feel like I'm missing something here... Every time I try to do a mission that's supposed to be around my level, the boss destroys me.
Happened with chapter 4 boss and an affinity quest I did an hour ago.

I'm currently after chapter 4, level 16/Winged Viper lv2 and I'm trying to delve into the various game systems as much as the game wants me to - in fact I keep getting tutorials prompts for stuff I've already figured out (developing weapons makers, positioning, soul voices and whatnot) but it seems I just can't hold my own in battles and it's slowly eating my motivation away... :(
I read the tips in the OP too.

What are the most basic mistakes people make when playing this?
I don't understand why I'm struggling as much when the original XB was a breeze.

Niahak

Battle points do come in extremely slowly. I wouldn't recommend pushing skills or arts past lv3 or even lv2 if you're not sure you'll use them later. Skills are probably more useful to level than arts since you're guaranteed to always be able to equip them while arts are weapon dependent (that said, if you max out the final tier of a class you can equip its weapons no matter which class you currently are).

If you have a good set of weapons/armor, stick with them. The special bonuses are often more important than the higher base damage/armor of higher level ones. I was still using a lv23 sword at lv40 for a while.

I do sometimes use store-bought equipment for my companions since I often don't have up to date weapons or sufficiently heavy armor for tanks.

I feel like I'm missing something here... Every time I try to do a mission that's supposed to be around my level, the boss destroys me.
Happened with chapter 4 boss and an affinity quest I did an hour ago.

I'm currently after chapter 4, level 6/Winged Viper lv2 and I'm trying to delve into the various game systems as much as the game wants me to - in fact I keep getting tutorials prompts for stuff I've already figured out (developing weapons makers, positioning, soul voices and whatnot) but it seems I just can't hold my own in battles and it's slowly eating my motivation away... :(
I read the tips in the OP too.

What are the most basic mistakes people make when playing this?
I don't understand why I'm struggling as much when the original XB was a breeze.

I've generally had to be 3-4 levels higher than bosses to stand a good chance, possibly since I'm not great at the game. One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike XB, level is only one input and size is another; an enemy much larger than you at the same level will be considerably more dangerous than a bug of the same level. If you're looking for potential targets, try to single out enemies no more than a couple levels higher than you and ideally not much larger.

Thanks for the info guys.

One more quick questions (sorry if this is in the OP, looked around and didn't see anything). Does leveling up the manufacturers unlock guy at multiple levels, or does it just unlock stronger gear? In other words, does each level unlock a new level 10 weapon, a new level 20 weapon, a new level 30 weapon, etc, or does each level unlock weapons only in the next tier?

Also, does leveling up manufacturers unlock new weapons for purchase at the store kiosk, or just new weapons to craft? At the terminal used to level manufacturers up there's a bunch of awesome equipment I can craft but the game doesn't give any hints about where to find anything and I don't really feel like Googling the general whereabouts of a bunch of items and then walking around until I luck out and find enough.

The AM Manufacturers don't unlock higher level gear, per say, they unlock armor types (Medium, Heavy) and the higher level AMs unlock new innate Battle Traits for the armor and weapons.

Leveling Sakuraba Industries to 5 unlocks Level 50 Skells.

Zalusithix

Thanks for the info guys.

One more quick questions (sorry if this is in the OP, looked around and didn't see anything). Does leveling up the manufacturers unlock guy at multiple levels, or does it just unlock stronger gear? In other words, does each level unlock a new level 10 weapon, a new level 20 weapon, a new level 30 weapon, etc, or does each level unlock weapons only in the next tier?

Also, does leveling up manufacturers unlock new weapons for purchase at the store kiosk, or just new weapons to craft? At the terminal used to level manufacturers up there's a bunch of awesome equipment I can craft but the game doesn't give any hints about where to find anything and I don't really feel like Googling the general whereabouts of a bunch of items and then walking around until I luck out and find enough.

Sometimes leveling up manufactures will unlock a new type of gear that they'll provide. Sometimes it'll just provide an upgrade to the existing gear they provide (new augments). In the case of Sakuraba, it eventually opens up the level 50 skells.

Outside of basic stuff, weapon crafting is schematic dependent, and not really worth it IMO. Augments are what differentiates a mediocre weapon or armor from a good one. The crafted ones are totally lacking on that front. The best equipment will always be dropped. Better to spend the time farming for a gear drop than for parts to craft one.

Edit: Weapon/armor crafting being inferior only applies to ground gear. The superweapons for skells are an entirely different animal. The superweapons can be considerably more powerful than any dropped gear at the expense of sucking a ton of fuel and having long cooldowns. Not all superweapons are created equal though, and some are objectively better than others. With some you'd probably be better off with the best of the standard intergalactic dropped gear.

Jubern

I've generally had to be 3-4 levels higher than bosses to stand a good chance, possibly since I'm not great at the game. One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike XB, level is only one input and size is another; an enemy much larger than you at the same level will be considerably more dangerous than a bug of the same level. If you're looking for potential targets, try to single out enemies no more than a couple levels higher than you and ideally not much larger.

I have to say this is pretty frustrating, especially with how missions work...
The mission I talked about yesterday was the affinity mission about the team observing Vandham and was supposed to be just right for my level. Then comes the boss who's at my level, likely hard enough as it is, accompanied by 6 (!) lower-leveled monsters. I had to get stomped three times and accept the easy mode prompt, as I had to for the last 2-3 missions - it's not really fun.

What's the best way to level up? I feel like fighting mobs is absolutely useless, another frustration when you're a tad under leveled and what to get up to speed.

I have to say this is pretty frustrating, especially with how missions work...
The mission I talked about yesterday was the affinity mission about the team observing Vandham and was supposed to be just right for my level. Then comes the boss who's at my level, likely hard enough as it is, accompanied by 6 (!) lower-leveled monsters. I had to get stomped three times and accept the easy mode prompt, as I had to for the last 2-3 missions - it's not really fun.

What's the best way to level up? I feel like fighting mobs is absolutely useless, another frustration when you're a tad under leveled and what to get up to speed.

I don't remember doing any dedicated grinding for levels early game. Just take on lots of regular missions, plant probes, find treasures, fill in the Collectopedia. Lots of things give you experience. You can also scout high level Blades to give you a hand and make sure you hit those soul voices and B prompts in battle. I really don't think you should be having so much trouble.

Does leveling up even do much of anything in this game? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that leveling up was mostly good for letting you equip new items, and that it was those items that made differences in power more than the levels themselves.

Does leveling up even do much of anything in this game? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that leveling up was mostly good for letting you equip new items, and that it was those items that made differences in power more than the levels themselves.

Leveling up is pretty much as beneficial here as it is in any RPG. It's just not the only thing that factors into your strength.

I just must not have noticed. Like you I haven't felt the need to grind for experience at all, and I just finished story mission 5.

I've noticed that boss levels seem sort of meaningless. For example leading up to the boss of mission 5 there's a lot of large robots around level 24 walking around the objective area. They gave me a ton of trouble, I barely beat them, I fought two and there was a handful of moments each time where I thought my character was going to go down.

Based on that and on the appearance of the mission boss (don't want to ruin anything) it would seem like I should have been outclassed, but the boss went down pretty quickly with no trouble.

Zipzo

Banned

jonjonaug

I just must not have noticed. Like you I haven't felt the need to grind for experience at all, and I just finished story mission 5.

I've noticed that boss levels seem sort of meaningless. For example leading up to the boss of mission 5 there's a lot of large robots around level 24 walking around the objective area. They gave me a ton of trouble, I barely beat them, I fought two and there was a handful of moments each time where I thought my character was going to go down.

Based on that and on the appearance of the mission boss (don't want to ruin anything) it would seem like I should have been outclassed, but the boss went down pretty quickly with no trouble.

Generally the bigger an enemy is, the tougher they are. Keep size as well as enemy level in mind when fighting foes.

Even with that though, you're right that enemy power is kind of all over the place at times. This game isn't like the original Xenoblade where you had modifiers if you were several levels or more above or below your opponent either, at least as far as I'm aware.

DeSo

Banned
So are heavy skells objectively better than medium and light? That's why they cost more? Anyway I'm saving up for that lvl 50 Amdusias.

Over 80 hours in this game and still loving it. What it lacks in story it makes up for in pure content.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So are heavy skells objectively better than medium and light? That's why they cost more? Anyway I'm saving up for that lvl 50 Amdusias.

Over 80 hours in this game and still loving it. What it lacks in story it makes up for in pure content.

Ehh, it depends on what you want to do. If you use light you can augment it to be a dodging machine, where you'll never get hit, while with heavy you'll do more damage but also take more damage. The OD for heavy increases damage taken.

It all depends on your play style, no one class is better than the rest. Especially at that level.

Yeah, no kidding, I usually don't get the syndrome where I'm paralyzed with indecision in RPGs but this game is doing, there's so much to do. I feel like sometimes I can spend ten minutes just going through my quests and the ones at the board trying to decide the most efficient way of going through them. And it's crazy to me that I haven't even seen two of the areas.

Can't wait to get my Skell to make it easier to explore.

Looks like GameStop will give me $30 in credit for trading in the game, but nobody wants the guide.

Is this game rare at all? Usually I buy and sell games at Best Buy but I'll be getting rid of Bayonetta 2 and likely Xenoblade X within the next month or two in anticipation of the April deluge. It looks like I'll be able to get quite a bit more from Bayonetta if I take the time to sell it here or on eBay or whatever, is the same true of Xenoblade?

I got my Skell and it's pretty disappointing. The mobility stuff is really cool but I was expecting to just steamroll everything in combat. The first enemy I fought was only level 8 (my party is around 25) and it took significantly longer to kill it in the Skell than it would have with my character on foot. Guess I need new gear.

I'm curious to see how the mobility features affect exploration too, I really like seeing a beam in the distance and working out how to get there.

Tripon

I got my Skell and it's pretty disappointing. The mobility stuff is really cool but I was expecting to just steamroll everything in combat. The first enemy I fought was only level 8 (my party is around 25) and it took significantly longer to kill it in the Skell than it would have with my character on foot. Guess I need new gear.

I'm curious to see how the mobility features affect exploration too, I really like seeing a beam in the distance and working out how to get there.
The first skell you get is bad. It's best used as a skell for your secondary characters. You should buy a level 30 ASAP from the store. Go light for evasion, or heavy for damage+tank.

You can worry about exploiting skells personal abilities later like the Laliah duskbomb build.

OVER THE RAINBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

I figure, sooner or later, someone's going to find a five-minute infinite exp exploit or some such to get to 40. :p

The run already uses an EXP exploit, the problem is that the game does not accumulate a number of levels you gain in a battle, you just gain one level at a time.

mclem

I'm sure I've gained multiple levels from one battle before. The thing that I think you're referring to is that you can only gain at most 9999 XP from a single kill, which won't get you multiple levels for very long! Still, it's useful when getting a barely-played character up to Skell range.

KgGmPIw.png

I'm in the winding-up stage, I think. I've a naturally grindy style - I've mentioned that before - so I've been consuming side missions and affinity missions as and when they become available. I've finished Chapter 11, and am working through the Normal missions at the moment with the three remaining people I haven't yet got affinity with (
Mia, Boze and HB, as it happens
) - everyone else is on four or more hearts. The only Basic missions currently available that I haven't done are all challenging Tyrant fights... and, oddly,
Mount M'Gando Minerology (I'll have to explore some more for that, maybe the Antropolis?)
. In terms of survey, just under 80% overall, with most regions above that (Only Cauldros and some NLA spots are in the 70's), and the collectopedia is complete. 160 hours currently, suspect I'll finish it before this weekend, so maybe tail off at 175 or so?

Then the postgame. Well, no. Then a break, probably!

One question: Are there any affinity missions that require five hearts? I've been using four hearts as my general benchmark since I've not yet seen one that requires a character to be capped for affinity (H2H are, of course, another matter)

One question: Are there any affinity missions that require five hearts? I've been using four hearts as my general benchmark since I've not yet seen one that requires a character to be capped for affinity (H2H are, of course, another matter)

The last heart to heart for each character are the only things that require 5 hearts iirc. Some of those also require you to have done all the affinity missions completed for that character as well.

Something else about heart to hearts is that doing the first 4 of them for a character should get you your last heart as well. So getting 4 hearts without doing any of the heart to hearts is a good stopping point if you are grinding out character affinity.

jonjonaug

I'm sure I've gained multiple levels from one battle before. The thing that I think you're referring to is that you can only gain at most 9999 XP from a single kill, which won't get you multiple levels for very long! Still, it's useful when getting a barely-played character up to Skell range.

KgGmPIw.png

I'm in the winding-up stage, I think. I've a naturally grindy style - I've mentioned that before - so I've been consuming side missions and affinity missions as and when they become available. I've finished Chapter 11, and am working through the Normal missions at the moment with the three remaining people I haven't yet got affinity with (
Mia, Boze and HB, as it happens
) - everyone else is on four or more hearts. The only Basic missions currently available that I haven't done are all challenging Tyrant fights... and, oddly,
Mount M'Gando Minerology (I'll have to explore some more for that, maybe the Antropolis?)
. In terms of survey, just under 80% overall, with most regions above that (Only Cauldros and some NLA spots are in the 70's), and the collectopedia is complete. 160 hours currently, suspect I'll finish it before this weekend, so maybe tail off at 175 or so?

Then the postgame. Well, no. Then a break, probably!

Couple things in response to your post.

1. No affinity mission requires more than 4 hearts. However once you've cleared the game, some "support" missions open up at the multiplayer console that can be played on your own like the time attack missions. These missions can give you money, miranium, XP (if I'm remembering that correctly), or level up the support of the characters you take with you. That last one is the important one. If you're that close to finishing the main game, I'd recommend just finishing that off and doing the rest of the affinity stuff in the postgame.

2. A ton of stuff opens up in the postgame, including a bunch of the best sidequests in the game. You might just end up jumping right back in instead of taking a break, lol.

mclem

Couple things in response to your post.

1. No affinity mission requires more than 4 hearts. However once you've cleared the game, some "support" missions open up at the multiplayer console that can be played on your own like the time attack missions. These missions can give you money, miranium, XP (if I'm remembering that correctly), or level up the support of the characters you take with you. That last one is the important one. If you're that close to finishing the main game, I'd recommend just finishing that off and doing the rest of the affinity stuff in the postgame.

Well, I'm not grinding affinity just for the sake of grinding affinity; I'm grinding affinity by the by as I progress through the other things I want to do before endgame.

I won't push all the way to four before endgame if I'm not there already, but I suspect at my current rate I'll be very close on two of those characters
with Mia, understandably, being left behind a bit. Given her adoration for you in her Normal missions, she should probably have a head start!

2. A ton of stuff opens up in the postgame, including a bunch of the best sidequests in the game. You might just end up jumping right back in instead of taking a break, lol.

Might do, it's more that I don't think I'll be inclined to dive into the loot treadmill. But I could do with a break from RPGs after running two simultaneously! (I've just finished DQ6 DS)

Xenoboy

Is the squad selection music anywhere else in the game? I find it really weird that it's the squad selection track, I like it a lot.

steveovig

I hope this isn't a stupid question but is there any way to change any of the classes for the characters, besides my main guy? Right now, I've been using Elma mostly because of Shadow Runner and I'd love to change her class and try something different but I don't know how.

Golnei

I hope this isn't a stupid question but is there any way to change any of the classes for the characters, besides my main guy? Right now, I've been using Elma mostly because of Shadow Runner and I'd love to change her class and try something different but I don't know how.

No, it's purely restricted to avatars. As compensation, the party members get unique arts (the ones you learn through their affinity missions) and a higher class cap, but they're still inherently more limited.

hell Mira-GAF can someone check deep dive and beach bum rankings for me?

look for Elmii nazaire, see if Aki and Azim have given up I am away from Wii U

squadr0n

What is a good way to level up fast/faster than I have been? Just hit lv 28 and Im trying to hit 30 but its taking forever just doing the missions Ive been picking up here and there. Tried looking for a good place to grind but it seems like all the enemies that are worth grinding are either grouped up and a I get destroyed by adds that come at me mid fight or just take forever to fight one by one. I did one tyrant fight and I swear I was fighting him for like 20 minutes.

Can someone recommend a good place to grind / way to level up my character and party members? Also which class should I level up next after Maxing Duelist? I really want to check out the class with the 2 small daggers but want to go with a class that will benefit from the skills Ive already picked up.

Pokemaniac

hell Mira-GAF can someone check deep dive and beach bum rankings for me?

look for Elmii nazaire, see if Aki and Azim have given up I am away from Wii U

Beach Bum:
Code:
Rank   Name      ID                 Score
1      Chelsea   azimsalimilukman   17670
2      Elmii     nazaire            16732

Deep Diver:
Code:
Rank   Name      ID        Score
1      Elmii     nazaire   181972
2      Yukino    AKI95B    123817

Zalusithix

Beach Bum:
Code:
Rank   Name      ID                 Score
1      Chelsea   azimsalimilukman   17670
2      Elmii     nazaire            16732

Deep Diver:
Code:
Rank   Name      ID        Score
1      Elmii     nazaire   181972
2      Yukino    AKI95B    123817
Haha, somebody sniped the beach bum title while he's been focused on the endless suicidal jumping. It's kind of scary that he's nearing the 200k jump point though. At this rate, the leaderboards will be over 1 million before 2016 is out. Somebody is going to pick up the game late in 2016 and look at the boards for the first time and be convinced that Elmii and Yukino are hackers. =P

Golnei

He follows along only when Lin's in the party, but given that she's mandatory for all story missions and a good deal of affinity missions, you'll be seeing a lot of him.

-Horizon-

ignit the ultimate chaos pls

I can get it down to half but then I'll get attacked by some dumb monster that was close by and decided to jump in like those gators or flowers which would eat through my ghost walker like its nothing.

DeSo

Banned
100 hours up!

There isn't some level 60 skell I should have been saving up for right? Because I just blew it all on a 50 Amdusias, which kicks arse.

Tripon

100 hours up!

There isn't some level 60 skell I should have been saving up for right? Because I just blew it all on a 50 Amdusias, which kicks arse.
You should be focusing on building up your probe stations. With the right setup, you never have to worry about money again.

varkuriru

Get to level 30 and buy a real mech. The free one is cool but isn't combat ready.

Hope you've been nailing the soul voices upon destruction, else you're likely going to lose it permanently soon. Might want to move it to a party member if you haven't and it still has 1 insurance left.

Thanks for the heads up! Though, I learned this lesson the hard way :D. Now the poor frame is sitting in limbo cause I dont want to pay the salvage cost. I got three Level 30s now and I guess the fourth party member will be Skell-less for a while.

Zalusithix

100 hours up!

Level 60 mechs unlock after you beat the main story.

It's also worth mentioning that the 60 skells don't require credits in the first place. They all require materials and miranium instead. That said, getting enough miranium storage to buy the Ares requires having a relatively high credit income per probe tick. (Completion of the quest chains to get the necessary probes requires it.) At any rate, it's not like credits are hard to come by once you're farming Joker for 60 gear.

Thanks for the heads up! Though, I learned this lesson the hard way :D. Now the poor frame is sitting in limbo cause I dont want to pay the salvage cost. I got three Level 30s now and I guess the fourth party member will be Skell-less for a while.

The starter skell isn't worth the investment. Just let it rot. Perhaps bring it back from the dead when your entire party is rocking maxed out 60 skells for some nostalgia. ;)

Regiruler

I cycle the 20 around npcs that are too low for a 30.

Also when did Prospectors stop getting #1? I've seen interceptors as #1 for a while, and as a curator our performance has tanked.

And sorry for the stream of conscienceness, but I have a question for chapter 11. Once you get to the entrance into o'ssr castle and go up the stairs, there's two paths. Follow ball says go right, but there's about 20 mobs+tyrant that way. The left area has a transporter to the mining frigate, and the follow ball from there takes me to a transporter to some camp. Is it actually possible to get to the objective for chapter 11 through the frigate or will I have to toughen it out and kill all the mobs?

Zalusithix

I cycle the 20 around npcs that are too low for a 30.

Also when did Prospectors stop getting #1? I've seen interceptors as #1 for a while, and as a curator our performance has tanked.

And sorry for the stream of conscienceness, but I have a question for chapter 11. Once you get to the entrance into o'ssr castle and go up the stairs, there's two paths. Follow ball says go right, but there's about 20 mobs+tyrant that way. The left area has a transporter to the mining frigate, and the follow ball from there takes me to a transporter to some camp. Is it actually possible to get to the objective for chapter 11 through the frigate or will I have to toughen it out and kill all the mobs?

That works when you have it early in the game and are organically leveling via normal means. Once you're a high level / post game, an NPC will be over level 30 almost instantly just by bringing it along for a high level tyrant slaughter.

Can't help you on the chapter bit. I just brute forced my way through it without exploring other options. Normally in games I'm inclined to go in the opposite of the "correct" way to map out all paths / dead ends, but at that point in XCX I just wanted the story over with to get the Ares and 60 skells.

Top Bottom