• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Dubz

Just got this earlier today. I've only just gotten to NLA, but I can already tell this is going to be awesome. The cheesey rap music is gdlk.

Zafir

That's the sword i've been gunning for recently.... But that tyrant doesn't die for me. So grinding for a better setup to try killing it.

That's what happened to me too. I heard he dropped a good sword, rolled up to that cave fresh into the post game thinking I'd steamroll him despite neglecting my ground game since unlocking skells... big mistake.

I farmed it yesterday or the day before. You basically have to have 100% uptime on Ghostwalker or, you die. :p The first part of the fight it's probably easier if you have some TP gain augments, I didn't, and it meant there was some very fine timing on trying to keep overdrive going so I could keep using Ghostwalker.

Once you get him to around 45%, he starts calling a bunch of adds, and TP gain is super easy then assuming you're using longsword(why wouldnt you be if your farming a longsword!).

You also have to kill it a few times before it starts to drop the damn thing, first times I just got data drops. After that it dropped consistently every time though. Once you do finally get the katana, that fight becomes super easy because you can basically kill it in a single overdrive. xD

Dubz

Quick question about inventory. I can't figure out how to equip new stuff I find. The only option I get is to sell stuff. What do?

I farmed it yesterday or the day before. You basically have to have 100% uptime on Ghostwalker or, you die. :p The first part of the fight it's probably easier if you have some TP gain augments, I didn't, and it meant there was some very fine timing on trying to keep overdrive going so I could keep using Ghostwalker.

Once you get him to around 45%, he starts calling a bunch of adds, and TP gain is super easy then assuming you're using longsword(why wouldnt you be if your farming a longsword!).

You also have to kill it a few times before it starts to drop the damn thing, first times I just got data drops. After that it dropped consistently every time though. Once you do finally get the katana, that fight becomes super easy because you can basically kill it in a single overdrive. xD

Oh this was like two weeks ago now, after that humiliating defeat I had a couple of training montages, came back with a bunch of augments and a game plan and destroyed it. Had a damn near perfect one drop after two kills.

OK, I'm 56 hours in and really diving into the missions around NLA. This is easily the best part of the game, the stories told in the missions are very well written and fleshed out.

Is crafting gear worth it? I'm level 40 but still getting my ass handed to me every now and then.

That is not the Wrothian way pal. Gotta play by the rules.

that is why I got into an mech to duel Gi Zang, it is all about honor and respect Xenoboy

OK, I'm 56 hours in and really diving into the missions around NLA. This is easily the best part of the game, the stories told in the missions are very well written and fleshed out.

Is crafting gear worth it? I'm level 40 but still getting my ass handed to me every now and then.

your augments, skills, and arts upgraded to max all help win battles

sometimes the right augment changes a really hard fight to a one shot kill

Zafir

Oh this was like two weeks ago now, after that humiliating defeat I had a couple of training montages, came back with a bunch of augments and a game plan and destroyed it. Had a damn near perfect one drop after two kills.

Ah right. I kind of just... Perfected my execution, didn't really change my gear or anything.

I didn't get a perfect one in the end but I wasn't really going for one. Just wanted a decent one.

Honestly I didn't even grind better gear in the end. I cleared up on sidequests/affinity missions with help from the Ares 90 and that sword and have just stopped playing.

I don't have enough free time to do 100%ing anymore, lol. Need to finally get round to playing Trails and Yakuza. X has been awful for my backlog, frankly.

Xenoboy

that is why I got into an mech to duel Gi Zang, it is all about honor and respect Xenoboy

That is what I did, until he forced me out from my mech.

And that Noppon wedding dress quest, just genius. That realization you get when you hear about the killed potamus, lol.

I'm wondering if something is messed up, or I just have no idea where to go for the "Heir Apparent" quest.

The google doc says you need to have gotten the Sapphire Ring from the potamus, and then to talk to the nopon. I got the ring, but I go to the caravan in Sylvalum and he's not there anymore, when I had talked to him before I got the ring. Did he move, and is somewhere else now?

Rock...that voice though.

And come on, what are the chances that they almost completely resemble the duo you fought lol
I dunno, I seem to be the odd man out on this, but Rock's voice didn't bother me at all especially as I got farther into it because it seemed to suit his personality pretty damn well which is a much bigger deal to me than giving him some cliche gravelly deep voice just becuase he's a rock-giant. I mean, yeah, that would make more sense, especially since on the other end they obviously gave the Ma-non chipmunk voices because they're short, but it just works for him all the same so I wasn't really bothered by it.

That is what I did, until he forced me out from my mech.

And that Noppon wedding dress quest, just genius. That realization you get when you hear about the killed potamus, lol.

a Duel should really be 1v1 so I should really get rid of all party members to face him but how man times do I have to find and fight this dude who hides in a yellow spot with a green ! over his head and is shocked I found him so easily

How important are your other party members? Elma and Lin are only a level beneath me but I have a fourth thats usually very underleveled. The augments are pretty powerful, I should look into them some more.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is there a way to add people to my roster that doesn't involve manually talking to them in the Blade barracks?

EDIT: For that matter how the heck do I add those new, seemingly "characterless" guys to my party?

How important are your other party members? Elma and Lin are only a level beneath me but I have a fourth thats usually very underleveled. The augments are pretty powerful, I should look into them some more.

XX augments if you can

I use Humaniod XX vs humanoids see info and enemy by category to see what would work

the 4th party member always tend to die first no matter what I have everyone at 60 and the 4th still seems to die first but that is because I always forget to put in Skills and upgrade all of those Arts

I think the 4th is always important when fighting mobs someone gets a heal off can save a fight

try to level them up, I control Elma as my main anyway I like her hundred bullet blade slash

-shadow-

Fucking Chapter 9. I'm on the first fight and I don't know how I'm going to this :l

I managed the first one sort of, everyone died by the time I was left at the final guy. Managed to last long enough to do the Defensive Stance and another one and using those two I managed to revive Elma and Lin. Than the second fight happened.

I only have one Skell in my party, that was absolutely brutal! :')

Is there a way to add people to my roster that doesn't involve manually talking to them in the Blade barracks?

EDIT: For that matter how the heck do I add those new, seemingly "characterless" guys to my party?
Unfortunately, no. You have to find them wherever they are out in NLA and add them from there.

And only Elma and Lin are in the barracks. The others hang out in other sections. When the game tells you you can add a new character to your party for the first time, it updates your map of NLA: look for hexagons on your map that have blue check-marks on them. For NLA, that usually happens for info about where party members hang-out (it can also be for other info, but early game, it will usually be party member info). So, tap those and many of them should say something along the lines of "____ usually hangs out here."

For reference though, here's where the main people hang out who you probably have access to at that point, so you can compare to the map and get used to this:

Elma and Lin: Barracks.
Lao: Division Drive in the Administrative District.
Gwin: Division Drive, a bit south of Lao.
Irina: She hangs out a bit south of the barracks in the administrative district, along the eastern wall.
Doug: In the southern part of the hangars in the Administrative District, up on a little raised section in the back.
L: In western Armory Alley in the Administrative District.

You just kinda get used to it & since you come back to NLA a lot and do a lot there, you'll just naturally run past those guys a lot while you're doing other stuff and learn where they hang out from that. Like, I've practically never used Irina on my team, but I still have her hangout spot memorized just due to how close it is to the Barracks and BLADE Concourse, which are pretty important locations. Same with Doug--never used him either, but since lots of sidequests and stuff ended up bringing me by the Hangars, I just naturally learned where he hangs out. It definitely does suck and is a huge inconvenience, though, yeah, and I definitely don't get why they decided to make things work that way when it wasn't a problem for the first game, but fortunately at least I my case it didn't end up being too much of a problem, thankfully.

Yeah, you have to find them within the city and talk to them to join your party. Its really silly and one of the most frustrating additions to the game. I get that they want the characters to feel like they have their own lives but its annoying. Either look up online where they hang out or click on the hexes on the map.

I only now discovered that you can free fall in a Skell while flying. Now I can travel around and use less fuel.

What, how do you do this?

Somnid

I only now discovered that you can free fall in a Skell while flying. Now I can travel around and use less fuel.

I did that a few times before I figured out what caused it (ZR+ZL). Unfortunately now I have a tendency to do that accidentally when I want to bind.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sylvalum's Sphere ...

YCZJsSf.gif

Neiteio

Got back from a New Year's Eve party last night and decided to start playing this.

I LOVE IT!

I'm on Ch. 3. I expected this game to be overwhelming, but they do a good job succinctly explaining everything and doling out new ideas in bite-sized pieces.

I signed up for the Pathfinders, since I like exploring and setting probes. No idea which division is "best," but it sounds like you can change occupations later on, or simply dabble in other divisions if you feel so inclined.

A question:

Holding the R button and tapping A to target enemies for battles seems a bit unreliable. I'll move the camera all over the place, move right up to the enemy or far away, approach it from every angle, and for whatever reason, it'll sometimes take multiple attempts before I can lock-on. What's the best way to target enemies with R + A?

Also, is it true that clicking the right-stick creates Zelda-style Z-targeting where you can circle-strafe the enemy without losing sight of them?

Oh, and here's my character, Ophelia (same name as my Bloodborne character):

WVW69iu60p0Gz409fn

The Technomancer

Yeah, you have to find them within the city and talk to them to join your party. Its really silly and one of the most frustrating additions to the game. I get that they want the characters to feel like they have their own lives but its annoying. Either look up online where they hang out or click on the hexes on the map.

Oh wow really? that's genuinely surprising. I know I can have up to seven others "on the roster" at a given time, but still...

Oh wow really? that's genuinely surprising. I know I can have up to seven others "on the roster" at a given time, but still...
No, that's unfortunately super misleading. You can only have a max party size of 4, including your avatar party member. The four "reserve" party member slots don't actually do anything and are only there for removing characters from your current party, which is one of the most strange things about how the party member system works (since those slots are there for whatever reason, and could be used to carry around a few extra characters to switch between at any given time but just... aren't, for whatever reason).

Okay how the hell do I find these other party members in the city?

ShironRedshift said:
Unfortunately, no. You have to find them wherever they are out in NLA and add them from there.

And only Elma and Lin are in the barracks. The others hang out in other sections. When the game tells you you can add a new character to your party for the first time, it updates your map of NLA: look for hexagons on your map that have blue check-marks on them. For NLA, that usually happens for info about where party members hang-out (it can also be for other info, but early game, it will usually be party member info). So, tap those and many of them should say something along the lines of "____ usually hangs out here."

For reference though, here's where the main people hang out who you probably have access to at that point, so you can compare to the map and get used to this:

Elma and Lin: Barracks.
Lao: Division Drive in the Administrative District.
Gwin: Division Drive, a bit south of Lao.
Irina: She hangs out a bit south of the barracks in the administrative district, along the eastern wall.
Doug: In the southern part of the hangars in the Administrative District, up on a little raised section in the back.
L: In western Armory Alley in the Administrative District.

You just kinda get used to it & since you come back to NLA a lot and do a lot there, you'll just naturally run past those guys a lot while you're doing other stuff and learn where they hang out from that. Like, I've practically never used Irina on my team, but I still have her hangout spot memorized just due to how close it is to the Barracks and BLADE Concourse, which are pretty important locations. Same with Doug--never used him either, but since lots of sidequests and stuff ended up bringing me by the Hangars, I just naturally learned where he hangs out. It definitely does suck and is a huge inconvenience, though, yeah, and I definitely don't get why they decided to make things work that way when it wasn't a problem for the first game, but fortunately at least I my case it didn't end up being too much of a problem, thankfully.

Hylian7

Need help with a boss in chapter 4:
Goetia

How the hell am I supposed to beat this? It gets to that "Lighting surrounds her body" thing and usually that is what kills me. The closest I got was getting her down to about 1/8 of her HP. I'm level 15, am I just under leveled?

Somnid

Goetia

How the hell am I supposed to beat this? It gets to that "Lighting surrounds her body" thing and usually that is what kills me. The closest I got was getting her down to about 1/8 of her HP. I'm level 15, am I just under leveled?

At that stage in the game leveling is really the only thing you can do. Though if you haven't tried leveling up your skills and arts (and it's easy to miss) you can do that for an easy boost. I didn't figure that out until 20 hours in.

Goetia

Hmm, have you been leveling up your party's skills and arts (open up the main menu, pick the first option, and then select the arts and skill options respectfully)? Also of course make sure to take out her goons first. I think the game defaults you to locking on to her first, but that doesn't work so well, so use R+A/Y to switch to taking out her underlings first if you aren't.

But yeah, leveling a bit might not be a terrible idea. I think I beat her when I was like Level 17, but I don't really remember. Fortunately, there's a Tyrant right next to the FN site fast travel point for that boss who I'm guessing you've run into who should make for some good leveling--once you can take him out no problem, you shouldn't have too much trouble with her.

Beat the game.

Story Impressions:

I thought the story was whatever until Chapter 12. The chapter 5 twist was great but then it died down from there...until Chapter 12. Then I was like wait. What the hell?!? Chapter 12 has a lot of story in it. Wish the others had just as much in it. I think if you look at this game as a prologue chapter or a chapter 1 used to create the setting then it works. The Elma revelation I got spoiled on unfortunately...I mean she's even in the damn art book. But I thought it was very neat. But the fact that they all actually died back on earth with the exception of Elma really made you think about how things went down in the last moments. What were all the original humans in this game all doing at the time they were all about to die? What were their thoughts in the final moments as the white whale took off into space and they all stayed behind. A prequel set on earth featuring these same characters would be really interesting.

Then there is the possibility of other arks that might've made it as well. The white lifehold had contact with another ark just moments before it crashed. Then the mysterious figure. Of course, how is it they are not all dead since the database was trashed. So many things left. A prequel/sequel needs to happen.

Also, I'm not sure if Tatsu was breaking the fourth wall with his homs homs comment or if it's meant to link this game to Xenoblade because of the way he looked at the camera.

The next game can't come soon enough.

Grats! What levels were you and what Skells did you use? I took a run at it myself (around the same time as you, hah), but (WARNING: end boss spoilers)
I got my ass handed to me during the first phase of the Lao fight.
Two level 50 Skells, two level 30 Skells, everyone around base level 55. I felt like if I had four level 50 Skells, it would've at least been manageable, but IDK, I also ignored augments and gear pretty much all game, so now I wonder if I need to put some serious focus on equipment and augments to make the final battle more reasonable.

not the person you asked but 3 level 50s and a level 30. I feel first phase lao is easier than 2nd phase luxaar. I had attacks on my skells that would allow me to bind afterwards most of the time. Also I recommend targeting a limb and ordering the party to concentrate fire. I didn't mess with skell augments.

Hylian7

At that stage in the game leveling is really the only thing you can do. Though if you haven't tried leveling up your skills and arts (and it's easy to miss) you can do that for an easy boost. I didn't figure that out until 20 hours in.

Yeah, I have leveled up my skills. Gotten closer, but still not quite.

Goetia

I think she was my first 3 deaths take the easy route out

I was under leveled if you do not match a bosses level at least the fight should always be tough

it really is a level thing with them not so much the tricks they are using unless your skills arts and gear needs upgrades

The Technomancer

Okay no this is actually pissing me off now, it told me I have like three new possible party members and I can't find them anywhere

EDIT: Think I got it. Ugh

Also what the hell are any of these map icons on these hexes? These don't mean anything to me

Hylian7

Hmm, have you been leveling up your party's skills and arts (open up the main menu, pick the first option, and then select the arts and skill options respectfully)? Also of course make sure to take out her goons first. I think the game defaults you to locking on to her first, but that doesn't work so well, so use R+A/Y to switch to taking out her underlings first if you aren't.

But yeah, leveling a bit might not be a terrible idea. I think I beat her when I was like Level 17, but I don't really remember. Fortunately, there's a Tyrant right next to the FN site fast travel point for that boss who I'm guessing you've run into who should make for some good leveling--once you can take him out no problem, you shouldn't have too much trouble with her.

Yeah, the dinosaur one that's like level 15, right? (I forget what it was called). I pass it and kill it every time I go try her again.

Somnid

Okay no this is actually pissing me off now, it told me I have like three new possible party members and I can't find them anywhere

Also what the hell are any of these map icons on these hexes? These don't mean anything to me

3 stars - there is a high level treasure spot you need to clear
creature - there is a tyrant you need to defeat
clipboard - there is a quest that takes place here and you need to clear it
holding hands - there is an affinity quest that takes place here and you need to clear it, in NLA it means you start an affinity quest here.
tripod - there is a mining site

Note that quests are usually triggered from within town, not in the field.

massoluk

Banned
Finally done with the Story mission. Holy hell, you guys weren't kidding about sequel baiting

Went in with 3 level 50 mech, and 1 level 30 mech.

Lost the Level 30 mech to the first boss, spent all my fuel right at the very beginning of the final boss fight. All my mechs running on empty, entire party went down on their feet, and died. I got no choices, so I engaged the final boss on foot and get wiped 3 times in a row. Miraculously lasted pretty long until I was overwhelmed and wiped out by the enemy back-ups.

On my final try, I managed to get the final boss down 20% before all members of my party died. The 2 back-ups showed up, I thought I was screwed. As expected my mech fuel was regenerating back to 2000, enough for one cannon shot. I hurried back onboard my mech at less than 300 health left, and fired my big fucking gun. The final boss is no more.

Feel good man, but seriously, this could have been a disaster. I coulda lose all my mechs, and I'll be stuck there. Could have been a deathloop, or am I missing something? Could I have exit the last story mission somehow?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

If only there was an easy shortcut to the manual from the start menu. fucking game.

you are frustrating yourself pretty early

things only started making some sense to me after 200 hours :)

I am still discovering new things

put the name of the party member you are looking for in the search this thread or tell us who you want

the whole list of locations have been posted quite a few times on here just don't have the page to copy paste for you

I love the Photon Saber, it's so PSO and the Arts even look straight of PSU. I keep seeing conflicting information about the best type (beam, ether or gravity), but I've been using Ether and it's freaking strong. If any endgame Photon Saber users have advice for build setup I'd be happy to hear it.

Malus

Woo killed my first Millesaur...
I had it spoiled for me what happens but actually seeing it was pretty nuts.

The Technomancer

I mean I think its just the text size that's killing me. I am trying to bash my head through and get into this game, but every single element from the gamepad menus to the onscreen UI elements just requires me to squint and take three times as long as it normally would for me to read, and it makes taking any new information from the game itself feel like a chore

Ugh, I am going to make this work, but its not making it easy so far

Top Bottom