• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Dee Dee

Maybe I should start grabbing fuel replenishing items instead of just salvage tickets from the daily bonus

Question: I picked a few of the HP restore items (before I got a Skell and realized I would have to hoard the Skell Restoration Tickets like crazy).
How do you actually use them in battle?

Or did they perhaps already trigger automatically at one point and I just never noticed?

KarmaCow

Question: I picked a few of the HP restore items (before I got a Skell and realized I would have to hoard the Skell Restoration Tickets like crazy).
How do you actually use them in battle?

Or did they perhaps already trigger automatically at one point and I just never noticed?

press + in combat, then I think x once to cycle to the item menu.

Got back from a New Year's Eve party last night and decided to start playing this.

I LOVE IT!

I'm on Ch. 3. I expected this game to be overwhelming, but they do a good job succinctly explaining everything and doling out new ideas in bite-sized pieces.

I signed up for the Pathfinders, since I like exploring and setting probes. No idea which division is "best," but it sounds like you can change occupations later on, or simply dabble in other divisions if you feel so inclined.

A question:

Holding the R button and tapping A to target enemies for battles seems a bit unreliable. I'll move the camera all over the place, move right up to the enemy or far away, approach it from every angle, and for whatever reason, it'll sometimes take multiple attempts before I can lock-on. What's the best way to target enemies with R + A?

Also, is it true that clicking the right-stick creates Zelda-style Z-targeting where you can circle-strafe the enemy without losing sight of them?

Oh, and here's my character, Ophelia (same name as my Bloodborne character):

WVW69iu60p0Gz409fn

I mean I think its just the text size that's killing me. I am trying to bash my head through and get into this game, but every single element from the gamepad menus to the onscreen UI elements just requires me to squint and take three times as long as it normally would for me to read, and it makes taking any new information from the game itself feel like a chore

Ugh, I am going to make this work, but its not making it easy so far

Welcome to Mira guys!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay so I am running around the administrative district looking for these party members. I've found the hexes where they "usually hang out" but I don't know what I'm looking for inside them. Some kind of new icon? Do they just have the usual white "talk to me" icon above them? And will someone please turn off this fucking gawdawful music?

EDIT: Okay they have a white talk to me icon and a blue name, there we go

Voliko

Okay so I am running around the administrative district looking for these party members. I've found the hexes where they "usually hang out" but I don't know what I'm looking for inside them. Some kind of new icon? Do they just have the usual white "talk to me" icon above them? And will someone please turn off this fucking gawdawful music?

Just like any other NPC you can talk to with the white icon.

Renewed

5000 reward tickets that I could have gotten in less than half an hour. Ok game.

Gonna put the new file off to when I finish some other games. Take care XenoGAF.

Jisgsaw

What, how do you do this?

I think I found out on accident a few hours ago: ZL+ZR.
Not 100% sure though, haven't tested since.

Also what the hell are any of these map icons on these hexes? These don't mean anything to me

"Thread: Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!"

Edit: to be clearer: even if you got your answer for this one, go read the manual. The game is very bad at explaining most things ingame, if it explains them at all.

Somnid

It's blue if you've never recruited them, it's white otherwise. If they aren't there it's because there is a heart-to-heart that takes place at that time.

Dee Dee

First of all: Yes, fuck the NLA music. Fortunately your ears will go numb after a while so you will no longer hear it.

You are looking for the NPCs with the BLUE names. They will be blue the first time you talk to them at their hangout spot. After that the name will just be white because the game assumes you now know where they are.

If they are NOT at their usual spot, you might have triggered a heart-to-heart conversation by raising their affinity level. Likely not this early in the game though.

The Technomancer

If the purpose of this music is to make me hate NLA so that they can destroy it in a late game plot event, mission accomplished. Burn it down

At least now I'm back out in the field where I can enjoy all of the combat and questing and stuff I like

Jisgsaw

OT3's title will be: "OT2 subtitle was not a joke, RTFM" :D

Adding this party member location list to the OP http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190981037&postcount=3130

if anyone has posted a more comprehensive one, let me know with a link.

Ahah, yeah.

For character handout, ideally someone would simply take the NLA maps from the guide, and just put the name of the characters in the relevant hexagon (I can't believe the guide din't do it that clearly; most disappointing guide I ever bought).
Would do it, but my quick google search didn't found the maps...

TheMoon

Ahah, yeah.

For character handout, ideally someone would simply take the NLA maps from the guide, and just put the name of the characters in the relevant hexagon (I can't believe the guide din't do it that clearly; most disappointing guide I ever bought).

map pics are linked in the OP somewhere :D

edit: aw crap, those don't include the NLA map :(

Xenoboy

I'd recommend being at least level 35 for the first fight. For the second part of the fight, having 4 skells makes it easy.

If I finish the first part, do I have to do it over if I die in the second part? I hope not. My only level 35 is my MC, Elma and Lin are 31 and Alexa 29.

Fuck telling people to "read the manual", by the way. It'd be different if it were easier to search, but it isn't 1990 anymore.

It's like, hell, I read the manual, but that was 3 weeks and 60 hours of gameplay ago. I don't remember every detail. Also, most of what I want to know isn't even in the goddamn manual.

Gamefaqs + google has been a more useful manual than the manual.

Dee Dee

Ahah, yeah.

There worst thing is when there are hexes with multiple levels, especially in the administrative district. Worse: Trying to find treasure or tyrants in a hex. Come on guide, why not tell me I had to look in a CAVE that does not even have its entrance in that hex???

Dee Dee

If I finish the first part, do I have to do it over if I die in the second part? I hope not. My only level 35 is my MC, Elma and Lin are 31 and Alexa 29.

Don't save after beating the first part!!!!!! You will be locked in an area!!

Edit: Your level setup is a lot like mine at that chapter. I recommend leveling more. And getting at least (!) two Skells.

I got frustrated and recruited a level 60 player char at the Blade Terminal. No regrets, that fight was too much of a difficulty spike for me. This chapter should have had a level 36 requirement at least.

Double Edit: I was wrong about not being able to leave, see below.

Jisgsaw

map pics are linked in the OP somewhere :D

edit: aw crap, those don't include the NLA map :(

If nobody has done it by then, I'll take some pictures/scan of it tomorrow and add the names. Too lazy right now though.

Fuck telling people to "read the manual", by the way. It'd be different if it were easier to search, but it isn't 1990 anymore.

It's like, hell, I read the manual, but that was 3 weeks and 60 hours of gameplay ago. I don't remember every detail. Also, most of what I want to know isn't even in the goddamn manual.

Gamefaqs + google has been a more useful manual than the manual.

I wanna say fuck Monolith for not making tutorials, and the gaming industry for having removed physical manuals.

Though in this case, for the basic info that people ask about that get them these answer, you only have to read once, I can't see how you can forget them.
Also, you might like this: https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...tronicManual_WiiU_XenobladeChroniclesX_EN.pdf

In 1990 you couldn't CTRL+F your paper manual ;)
Well, I could navigate it about 10 times faster than I can navigate the ingame manual. And I can't effectively search the ingame manual either, so...?

I wanna say fuck Monolith for not making tutorials, and the gaming industry for having removed physical manuals.

Though in this case, for the basic info that people ask about that get them these answer, you only have to read once, I can't see how you can forget them.
Also, you might like this: https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...tronicManual_WiiU_XenobladeChroniclesX_EN.pdf
Hear hear!

My other pet peeve (well, there's probably more than one, but the other that comes to mind at the moment...) is how much you have to scroll to get any information out of the damn manual. This must be what it's like to be old and have to triple your kindle's font size

You can leave after the second part. I just finished Chapter 9 (thank god) and you need only attempt the second part once before it lets you leave, level up, re-equip, etc. and come back to re-do that fight just from the second stage. I must have tried both parts at least 7 times.

Dee Dee

Well, I could navigate it about 10 times faster than I can navigate the ingame manual. And I can't effectively search the ingame manual either, so...?

Besides the RTFM manual remarks there will always be players in this OT that gladly answer even the most basic questions. Just ignore the grumps and let us know what you struggle with.

TheMoon

So you're not aware that there's a PDF link in the OP you can more comfortably search than the in-game version? :D

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Basic reading and understanding skills are needed to navigate the ingame manual, so...?

Sure searching for one certain question is faster, but when you're asking fucking everything, go read the manual, it'll stop you from keeping the onslaught of frustration up.

The Technomancer

I mean, in the cast of adding new people to your party I don't know if I needed a tutorial so much as any indication of what that process looked like (I don't think the manual covered this) such as: do you select them from a list? Do you have to go talk to them? What sort of places might you find them in? As far as I recall it just told me "hey by the way these people are now available to use". It didn't even put the check marks on my map, I had to tap all of the hexes manually, I was just left sitting there going "okay cool wait..can I use them now? That's...great how do I get them wait is that all you have for me?"

Astral Dog

Saw the other outcome to the
quest where you have to defeat the Telethia or report back to the Orphe. Wish I kept the dialogue on hand because it was pretty interesting. Apparently the Ovah has a relation to the Telethia?

Anyways, now I can do whatever I want!

I should get every achievement....
WoW i have like 23℅ after exploring alot of the 5 continents(installing probes, missions, defeating monsters, etc) sometimes im not sure how are you supposed to survey that thing

Dee Dee

You can leave after the second part. I just finished Chapter 9 (thank god) and you need only attempt the second part once before it lets you leave, level up, re-equip, etc. and come back to re-do that fight just from the second stage. I must have tried both parts at least 7 times.

Oh, and I didn't know that. I realized I couldn't leave after the first part and just restarted the whole thing after miserably failing that fight from an earlier save point, not knowing I would be able to leave the area then.

I mean, in the cast of adding new people to your party I don't know if I needed a tutorial so much as any indication of what that process looked like (I don't think the manual covered this) such as: do you select them from a list? Do you have to go talk to them? What sort of places might you find them in? As far as I recall it just told me "hey by the way these people are now available to use". It didn't even put the check marks on my map, I had to tap all of the hexes manually, I was just left sitting there going "okay cool wait..can I use them now? That's...great how do I get them wait is that all you have for me?"

You just talk to them and it'll bring up the option if you want them to be part of the party or not.

Jisgsaw

My other pet peeve (well, there's probably more than one, but the other that comes to mind at the moment...) is how much you have to scroll to get any information out of the damn manual. This must be what it's like to be old and have to triple your kindle's font size

It's starkly contrasts with the font size ingame to say the least...

Yeah, tutorial may have been the wrong word.
But the game barely explains anything, it can be frustrating, I get you. Do yourself a favor and read the manual though, you'll get a better understanding of most things. The OT is there for your remaining questions ;-)

Managing party members was explained in game, that one didn't bother me so much. It was probably only mentioned once, because XBX hates you, but I got it the first time, no problem.

More complicated shit? No clue. Can I place gems/augments in armor slots? Probably. Do I know how? You better bet I don't!

So you're not aware that there's a PDF link in the OP you can more comfortably search than the in-game version? :D
If I'm using online resources, searching the manual is much less effective than searching google.

Xenoboy

Edit: Your level setup is a lot like mine at that chapter. I recommend leveling more. And getting at least (!) two Skells.

I got frustrated and recruited a level 60 player char at the Blade Terminal. No regrets, that fight was too much of a difficulty spike for me. This chapter should have had a level 36 requirement at least.

Yeah, I'll probably just level up some more then. If I use a scout, then I'll do it after 5 hours of struggling and crying.

The Technomancer

You just talk to them and it'll bring up the option if you want them to be part of the party or not.

Right but right when it told me I now had these people I could use it didn't tell me any of that. It was like "you can now use Lao and Gwin and Irna and these other people" and I was like "cool! More party members" and then had literally no idea what the next step was to actually put those people it told me I had access to into my party. Or even where they were

TheMoon

If I'm using online resources, searching the manual is much less effective than searching google.

Generally, sure. Depends on what you're looking for. Just saying the option is right at your fingertips, usually has pictures too. It's not that complicated.

Right but right when it told me I now had these people I could use it didn't tell me any of that. It was like "you can now use Lao and Gwin and Irna and these other people" and I was like "cool! More party members" and then had literally no idea what the next step was to actually put those people it told me I had access to into my party. Or even where they were

They're in town somewhere. Find them, talk to them and they can join. But yeah it doesn't really explain much on how to get them to join lol. The map should have an indicator saying where the char can be recruited.

Very happy I took Gaf's opinion on this game, not usually a huge fan of Anime style, but I'm falling in love with this game.

Chapter 3 finished, combat is making sense to me, exploration is making sense, probes are beginning to make more sense, I'm hooked.

Well hooked on everything except....

THE FUCKING GOD AWFUL SOUNDTRACK. It takes a lot for me to despise music, but the way it's placed in this game is really poorly done. Who plays lyrical pop anime tunes while recapping Chapter 3 and characters are talking? (Seriously)

There's quite a few miscues with audio, such as volumes at times it should lower by half etc. Not every song is awful, but a good majority of them just don't fit whatsoever. Minor annoyance to an otherwise stellar game so far!

The Technomancer

They're in town somewhere. Find them, talk to them and they can join. But yeah it doesn't really explain much on how to get them to join lol. The map should have an indicator saying where the char can be recruited.

Yeah I get that now but its just another example of the information presentation issue I'm bashing my head into with this game so far. Whenever I'm out in the field and all I have to do is track down my next quest objective I'm having a great time, but anything administrative feels nightmarish to both understand and navigate

I think I need a break. I'll come back to it this evening

It does. "A segment in the <district> has been updated."

It may have said that, but even if it did I wouldn't have known what that meant. I only got the character locations because I was tapping the hexes to try and see if they had individual names, nothing about that message tells me what the significance of that is

Generally, sure. Depends on what you're looking for. Just saying the option is right at your fingertips, usually has pictures too. It's not that complicated.
Well, I agree with that. But I also note that it feels an awful lot like work when you're doing so much research just to play a game.

Hell, at work all I have to type is `man tar` to get what I need to know. By comparison, figuring out something in this game is like going an expedition into the wilderness.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I get that now but its just another example of the information presentation issue I'm bashing my head into with this game so far. Whenever I'm out in the field and all I have to do is track down my next quest objective I'm having a great time, but anything administrative feels nightmarish to both understand and navigate

I think I need a break. I'll come back to it this evening

They pop up on the mini-map. One of the hexes will say *new* and all you need to do is tap it and it will say "so-and-so can usually be found here." You should be checking the mini-map every time you get a notification that a hex has been updated.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It may have said that, but even if it did I wouldn't have known what that meant. I only got the character locations because I was tapping the hexes to try and see if they had individual names, nothing about that message tells me what the significance of that is
"Oh I got access to new characters"
"Hmmm so and so can be found here"

What could this mean? What should I do?

The Technomancer

They pop up on the mini-map. One of the hexes will say *new* and all you need to do is tap it and it will say "so-and-so can usually be found here." You should be checking the mini-map every time you get a notification that a hex has been updated.

Definitely don't think thats the case, at least for characters. I was tapping blindly on hexes in the admin district and getting blue checkmarks, there were no "new" indicators that I saw (well there were a couple but they didn't correspond to characters)

"Oh I got access to new characters"
"Hmmm so and so can be found here"

What could this mean? What should I do?

I literally just did this ten minutes ago and I am telling you there was no indication in any of the hexes that a character could be found there until after I blindly tapped them all. The "so and so is here" notifications popped up because of tips people in this thread gave that led to me checking all of those otherwise unmarked hexes.

TheMoon

Well, I agree with that. But I also note that it feels an awful lot like work when you're doing so much research just to play a game.

Hell, at work all I have to type is `man tar` to get what I need to know. By comparison, figuring out something in this game is like going an expedition into the wilderness.

But ...isn't that exactly what this game is? :D

Top Bottom