• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

For real? I got to the ending mission around hour 80, and although I'd been over 100k per tick for a LONG time, and climbing higher, by the time I got my one level 50 skell outfitted in preparation for the finale, I was too broke to buy ground gear for my fourth party member.

Yep. Tons of money off selling unnecessary gear when farming and all the rare minerals my probes pull up that gets instantly sold because I have 99, too.

But I also have two chapters left and >134 hours of playtime.

Is there anyone else crazy enough to beat the game with the lvl 20 skell? (It's also part of the reason why my skell wreck numbers are so high lol)

Is there anyone else crazy enough to beat the game with the lvl 20 skell? (It's also part of the reason why my skell wreck numbers are so high lol)

I certainly wasn't. One thing to note is that some monsters are difficult or impossible to fight outside of a skell at all, because they fly or levitate outside of melee range. I don't think there are any cases of that that you need to kill for the main story, though. Even if you end up having to grind up to 60 to manage it, it'll be a damn impressive feat. I look forward to hearing about your successes and failures!

Where do I find other party members, I done quest with lao , doug ,etc but can't seem to find them to add to my party.

Lao is on division drive, in the administrative sector. Gwin's actually pretty close by him, there. Irena is on the opposite end of the street, near Blade HQ. Doug is on a balcony overlooking the rest of the city, down in the hangar in the lower administrative district. They should always hang out in about the same spot, unless they're hanging out at one of their heart to heart spots. Annoying, right? Their locations are actually sort of marked on the hex map, although not very helpfully distinguished. If you haven't recruited them from their usual spot yet, it should say 'NEW' on that hex, and tell you a description of what's goin on there. If you HAVE recruited them, it'll have a check mark on them.

Is there good ether longswords other than the endgame ones?

Like I've beaten the main story and everything but I'm only level 56 atm and can't fight the super elite tyrants yet, but I'd like to play around with that build while I finish up :p

Astral Dog

Well that final boss was something else,
just didnt wanted to die, im not even sure if you were supposed to use a Skell or battle on foot in the last phase, but at least i finally completed it, sick design, but he is not even death! Not really sure what was the point of the ending with all those twists and unanswered questions, but at least the cutscenes looked good, a shame you cant replay it :/

Well that final boss was something else,
just didnt wanted to die, im not even sure if you were supposed to use a Skell or battle on foot in the last phase, but at least i finally completed it, sick design, but he is not even death! Not really sure what was the point of the ending with all those twists and unanswered questions, but at least the cutscenes looked good, a shame you cant replay it :/

Yeah, it drains your fuel as soon as it starts. You can get some starting licks in, and cheese it a bit by dropping a refuel consumable, but the very last phase is intended to be done primarily on foot.

The story missions not being replayable from the story mission planning desk in Blade HQ is a huuuge missed opportunity.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there good ether longswords other than the endgame ones?

Like I've beaten the main story and everything but I'm only level 56 atm and can't fight the super elite tyrants yet, but I'd like to play around with that build while I finish up :p
Buy one from the shop.

Buy one from the shop.

Huh, I didn't even notice they had different attributes there, I figured it was just for super special ones after reading about them :p

Well I can buy a level 50 ether sword with 168 attack, with a proper build and augments would that actually work better than my thermal sword with 236 attack?

I already did beat the game with the lvl 20 skell. Thats why my skell wreck numbers are so high.

Ch 9 only died once. 1st phase was super easy somehow. 2nd phase ended up using a frame patch to survive.

Ch 12 pure cheese method. Mind you I thought of this method after dying like 15 times.
Use skells until Vita phase 2. Get out of skell. Die 3 times for level drop. Go back in skell and proceed with fight. Used up a couple of frame patches there too. My ground gear was well up to snuff since my skell was lacking so when I had the part with no fuel I ended up using just one personal patch. Got it all in one go with the level drop strat.

My lvl 20 skell is using a really heavily modified sniper which almost hits has hard as a g-buster but at range. Helped a lot in surviving with the skell. Also just cause my main was using the lvl 20 skell doesn't mean my teammates were. Elma, Lin and Irina were in lvl 30 skells, with Elma rocking the G-buster.

I already did beat the game with the lvl 20 skell. Thats why my skell wreck numbers are so high.

Ch 9 only died once. 1st phase was super easy somehow. 2nd phase ended up using a frame patch to survive.

Ch 12 pure cheese method. Mind you I thought of this method after dying like 15 times.
Use skells until Vita phase 2. Get out of skell. Die 3 times for level drop. Go back in skell and proceed with fight. Used up a couple of frame patches there too. My ground gear was well up to snuff since my skell was lacking so when I had the part with no fuel I ended up using just one personal patch. Got it all in one go with the level drop strat.

My lvl 20 skell is using a really heavily modified sniper which almost hits has hard as a g-buster but at range. Helped a lot in surviving with the skell. Also just cause my main was using the lvl 20 skell doesn't mean my teammates were. Elma, Lin and Irina were in lvl 30 skells, with Elma rocking the G-buster.

Got dayum. Impressive! I think I had almost as much trouble as you without handicapping myself in any way.
Except for not allowing myself to use the easy mode button for dying three times. That was the only thing I wouldn't do.

I can't get to one probe site in Noctilum. It's to the east, directly below another which is on a beach. I keep flying around the area and all I see is mountains, and no way to walk there.

Removed the augments from this thing ages ago but this was the main reason why my lvl 20 skell was able to last so long. This sniper put in so much work.

NhO24AC.jpg

I can't get to one probe site in Noctilum. It's to the east, directly below another which is on a beach. I keep flying around the area and all I see is mountains, and no way to walk there.

Are you talking about the one that's outside the walls? Try looking around the waters east of Noctilum while flying low.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Waiting for the game to click for me. I'm only like 2 hours in, but I'm starting to get into it. Still concerned about the supposed lack of story, though. I guess what I wanted more than anything was just the first Xenoblade again, and... I suspect this ain't it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Huh, I didn't even notice they had different attributes there, I figured it was just for super special ones after reading about them :p

Well I can buy a level 50 ether sword with 168 attack, with a proper build and augments would that actually work better than my thermal sword with 236 attack?
Honestly not sure, but you're not going to have proper augments so just stick with your thermal, otherwise you'd have that 444 ether sword. I think the bare minimum to even test out how to play the style requires some TP ups on armor and 2-3 Arts TP Gain augments along with the Arts and Skills maxed.

Edit: Yeah, the ether sword is too weak to take advantage of core crusher

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Waiting for the game to click for me. I'm only like 2 hours in, but I'm starting to get into it. Still concerned about the supposed lack of story, though. I guess what I wanted more than anything was just the first Xenoblade again, and... I suspect this ain't it.
There is a good chunk of cutscenes still. It's just not super story heavy like the other Xeno games.

It's not. It's its own thing, and a wonderful thing, but it's definitely not the second coming of Xenoblade Wii. There are a couple moments in this game though that will almost certainly ensure you find its appeal. You can probably already predict what those are, but knowing them doesn't spoil experiencing them. Hope you find reason to stick with it!

Well I got my Oblivia exploration up in a flash.

it's so much easier with a skell haha

edit: btw the affinity quest Hope Springs Eternal shows up rather early but takes you to Cauldros, I'm assuming with a skell I should make it there relatively easily?

Fuck yeah it is! The difference a skell makes not just to your power level, but to the scale of the world is absolutely outstanding. If you wanted an early jump start on your cash influx you could even hit up the northern continent and grab a lot of those FN sites with ease, but I personally preferred to delay entering each zone until the narrative and quests took me there.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's not. It's its own thing, and a wonderful thing, but it's definitely not the second coming of Xenoblade Wii. There are a couple moments in this game though that will almost certainly ensure you find its appeal. You can probably already predict what those are, but knowing them doesn't spoil experiencing them. Hope you find reason to stick with it!

I'm sure I will -- I didn't wait 3 years for this thing to give up in 2 hours. Just kinda weird that it is, indeed, its own game.

And I'm starting to really dig this combat.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Was enjoying the game and breezing through up till Chapter 9... now that boss wrecks my shit, even though I grinded my characters to level 40. I got the Level 50 Heavy Skell but even that doesn't really help too much. What am I missing?

I'll admit I haven't really dived into too many of the subsystems of the game, since it's extremely overwhelming. Like, augment slots and crafting subtle weapon upgrades and all that stuff.

Can did and (in)credible

Edit: I mean, it's a good name if you want to start arms manufacturers

I still don't get whatever you're getting at, here. Am I super dense?

I thought it just meant honest and reliable (or believable.) I thought it was mostly just Manon being Manon, with a little little little bit of alliteration.

Was enjoying the game and breezing through up till Chapter 9... now that boss wrecks my shit, even though I grinded my characters to level 40. I got the Level 50 Heavy Skell but even that doesn't really help too much. What am I missing?

I'll admit I haven't really dived into too many of the subsystems of the game, since it's extremely overwhelming. Like, augment slots and crafting subtle weapon upgrades and all that stuff.

The on foot portion of it wrecks you, or... the skell vs skell fight?
I assume you're talking about the latter, since you mentioned getting a level 50 skell. Target specific portions of their skells, lock onto a single body part (click right stick when auto aiming at something besides their core) and then order your squadmates to target that same part (start to open squad mate commands menu.) Destroying a limb has the benefit of briefly stunning the target enemy, increasing your damage against them, lowering their resistances, and disabling any arts that relied upon that specific limb.

You might also try mounting beam and electric weapons in particular, since those are what skells are generally weak to.

Honestly not sure, but you're not going to have proper augments so just stick with your thermal, otherwise you'd have that 444 ether sword. I think the bare minimum to even test out how to play the style requires some TP ups on armor and 2-3 Arts TP Gain augments along with the Arts and Skills maxed.

Edit: Yeah, the ether sword is too weak to take advantage of core crusher

Alright I'll stick with what I have for now and try to get a good sword and augments once I hit 60.

Neiteio

I think I just beat Ch. 3 or Ch. 4 and now the game has cut me loose and I have no idea what to do, lol. So I ran aimlessly across Primordia and came across two NPCs who were debating whether to rescue the third member of their crew. I found the guy, retrieved his comm unit, and then hunted down the monster they had been fighting. Now I'm back to drifting aimlessly in Myra!

Use Lin's Shield Wall art. Max it out if you can. I struggled *a lot* during that encounter beforehand.

This is assuming its part 1 youre having trouble with.

random25

edit: btw the affinity quest Hope Springs Eternal shows up rather early but takes you to Cauldros, I'm assuming with a skell I should make it there relatively easily?

Hope's affinity quest in Cauldros is just near the entrance from Sylvalum's exit. So with a skell it's a flash.

I think I just beat Ch. 3 or Ch. 4 and now the game has cut me loose and I have no idea what to do, lol. So I ran aimlessly across Primordia and came across two NPCs who were debating whether to rescue the third member of their crew. I found the guy, retrieved his comm unit, and then hunted down the monster they had been fighting. Now I'm back to drifting aimlessly in Myra!

Mira is your oyster. You can check the requirements for the next story mission at Blade HQ, or even just by going to Blade HQ on the segment map and clicking on the appropriate segment. You can pick up minor sidequests at the jobs board just outside Blade HQ to make your Mira-wandering slightly more profitable. You can complete affinity quests and normal missions found inside Blade HQ, and throughout NLA. Affinity quests help you to get better acquainted with your squadmates, and introduce you to new ones. They're even helpfully pointed out on the segment map. Normal missions aren't central to the main storyline and don't relate to your squadmates, but they're much meatier than those quests you pick up at the aforementioned jobs board. Affinity quests are denoted by an icon looking like two hands clasped. Normal missions are like the one you found with the two squadmates debating looking for their missing third, and are marked with a pink question mark.

Or you could just keep aimlessly wandering Mira, planting FN beacons! There are no wrong answers.

Hope's affinity quest in Cauldros is just near the entrance from Sylvalum's exit. So with a smell it's a flash.

There is a sort of sulphuric odor to Cauldros, isn't there?

Need help with a boss in chapter 4:
Goetia

How the hell am I supposed to beat this? It gets to that "Lighting surrounds her body" thing and usually that is what kills me. The closest I got was getting her down to about 1/8 of her HP. I'm level 15, am I just under leveled?

Others have already mentioned things like leveling up your skills and arts, but it should be possible to beat her at around level 15. My first attempt failed, but then I spent some time in the menus (and also tweaked my soul voice a bit).

My second attempt went quite smooth: http://i.imgur.com/3GkM3uF.jpg (If you want, I could upload the whole fight to YouTube.)

Edit: Well, since I had nothing better to do, I just uploaded the whole fight.

Who are you Yelv, my mom?

Edit:

Yelv said:
Now give me one reason why I shouldn't knock out the rest of this son of a bitch's teeth!

>Join In: Use a nearby Skell to back Yelv up.

ESCALATION

And then if you take that option, he affectionately calls you a crazy psycho, lol.

Edit 2:

Apparently Eleanora is a fan of
old gangster movies, lmao.
I'm like hitting all of Yelv's heart to hearts by accident all at once.

Found the infernal ledges in Cauldros. Looks like cruel platformer can be added to the genres this game contains.
If that is the cave with lava and platforms then you do go back there for a DLC character affinity mission (so the doesn't count towards survey %age, can't remember if there is anything in the cave that does though).

The reason why people like the ether longsword so much is because you're using two skills to boost ether damage; boost ether and core crusher (note this latter one lowers appendage damage). There is a boost thermal skill which you could use instead if going thermal and you might also be a class with less skill slots (things like fast forward, supreme sword and aura assault I feel take priority, reducing cooldown and adding damage in melee combos and improving attack and accuracy while using auras).

If you have Ares 90 already you can farm a 512 attack (+/-3%) gravity longsword from FN307. Ultimately it is weaker than a stable 444 attack ether longsword (which has +/-99 stability...I believe the numbers are %s..ouch) due to no gravity boost skill (on the other hand gravity is less resisted but that is negated by the fact blossom dance ignores resistances) but is it a lot faster to farm and gives you more flexibility in its built-in augments (as stability not required) and your characters skills (no need for boost ether and core crusher).

Fandangox

Why Tobias? Is there something more Tobias than I am supposed to know? I thought his sidequest chain ended with him revealing that
He is one f the scientists that worked under the same project Kristy did, and was raising money to fund her project.

Jackano

Beat it yesterday at 130h, after a fail at the final boss at 120h a couple days ago.
I basically played without using combat points until chapter 10, and without augments until the final boss lol.

My recommendation for the final boss
Farm PV max +XX augments, they are easy to farm. You should have enough bonjelium (I think?) from the Cauldros probes, other material is from the regular scuids. I got back to the first Prone base in Primordia for them.

I also maxed out my armors inventory, that sucks. Never cared to sell things, now i have to sell most of those 999 trash items.
Not counting the fact most of the time I max out the 99 rare minerals from the probes, what a waste of cash when some of those things are 2500 credits worth :/

Now there are still so much I want to do:
- Leveling/affinity questing with sub-characters. Poor HB was the first guy I took in my team but I never used him again.
- Getting that last character in Cauldros
- Farming that perfect Skell
- Trying to get Lv.5 field competences
- And naturally trying to beat some of the Mira-weapons things. We don't want Godzilla-like disasters over NLA you know.

TheMoon

Please note that spoiler tags are only out of respect for anyone who may want to enjoy the surprise of finding new members on their own. If the tags are deemed unnecessary, I'll remove them promptly. For now, I'll post it as is as I need to get going.

I'll improve this later on but for now I hope it's useful for when you need to work out finding them the first time. The images are just the segment map from the guide. I'll also post a normal image of the area in the bold headers. Elma and Lin are just in the BLADE Barracks so there you go, two right off the bat. The first time you ask a character to join your party, their name will appear blue. After that it will not. Also keep in mind that you'll update the segment map when you speak to them so become familiar with their hangout spots quickly or else you'll fiddle with the Gamepad a lot to find the right hex. Assuming you've got a lot of completed segments lol

Administrative District

Irina - Administrative District Upper Level, left side of BLADE Barracks. Segment 60. Walk past staircase while looking left at Interceptor area.

Gwin - Administrative District Upper Level, right side of BLADE Barracks on Division Drive. Segment 47. Found at bottom of staircase after Reclaimers' area.

Doug - Administrative District Lower Level. Segment 10. After leaving BLADE Barracks, turn right and walk down Division Drive. On the left hand side is a lift that will take you down to the Hangar area. Go down and turn left. As you head to the end, look towards the right to see a ramp up to where the tents are. Doug is at the benches.

L - Administrative District Upper Area. Segment 20. After leaving BLADE Barracks, walk down to the Armory Shops. Walk further down towards BLADE HQ and L will be in sight near a shop on the left hand side. REQUIREMENTS: (after Chapter 4)

Lao - Administrative District Upper Level. Segment 46. After leaving BLADE Barracks, take a right and go along Division Drive. Passing Gwin's spot, you'll see Lao on the right hand side standing outside the Pathfinders' area. REQUIREMENTS: (after chapter 4)

Post Chapter 5:
Murderess - Administrative District, Upper Level. Segment 61. Leaving BLADE Barracks, take a left down Division Drive and keep an eye on the left. In the Curators' booth is Murderess standing in front of a Skell. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 5 & "My Dream" affinity mission which requires Irina in your party.

Post Chapter 7:
Nagi – Administrative District Upper Level. Segment 2. From BLADE HQ, walk out towards the transport pilot and keep walking to the edge of the helipad. Nagi is standing out majestically watching over NLA. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 7 & "Nagi’s Time" affinity mission which requires Elma and Lin.

Residential District

Post Chapter 3:
Hope - Residential District, Northwest Side. Segment 18. Waiting at Deliverance Park. From the centre, on the southeast side of the park with a large amount of people. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 3. Accept "Marry Me!" basic mission from Mission Board and the subsequent affinity mission, "Hope Springs Eternal".

Post Chapter 3:
H.B. - Residential District, Northern Area. Segment 45. To the east of the water plant is a patch of greenery. H.B. is standing here on the northern side. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 3 & "The New Rival?" affinity mission.

Post Chapter 4:
Phog Christoph – Residential District, west of Deliverance Park. Segment 3. At the construction area, standing just north of the transport pilot. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 4 & accept “Backup Request” basic mission which leads to "Foggy Dilemma" affinity mission.

Commercial District

Post Chapter 3:
Yelv - Commercial District, North Founders Street (southern C.D.) intersection, east side. Between Segments 32 and 33. At the buildings that make the first alleyway, Yelv will be waiting in there. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 3 & "Meeting Yelv" affinity mission which will be nearby him.

Industrial District

Post Chapter 4:
Alexa - Industrial District, in front of the entrance to Outfitters' Test Hangar at the south side of I.D. Segment 43. Will be on the right hand side before entering the building. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 4. Accept "Guinea Pigs Wanted!" basic mission and follow it to "Weaponized" affinity mission. Note: Test Hangar must not be in use for another mission.

Post Chapter 4:
Frye – Industrial District, central area where there is a diner to the east of the Integrated Production Plant. Segment 48. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 4 & "Bottoms Up" affinity mission which must be accepted at nighttime. Cannot bring Doug, Irina and Gwin.

Post Chapter 8:
Celica – Industrial District, central area's Integrated Production Plant. Segment 9. At the Integrated Production Plant is a smaller building. Outside will be Celica and Rock. REQUIREMENTS: Chapter 9. "Manhunt" affinity mission must be complete which leads to "New in New LA" affinity mission. Elma and Lin required for both.

Post Chapter 5:
Manon Ship

Post Chapter 3:
Mia – Manon Ship, towards the Starboard side. Segment 12. Immediately noticeable standing outside is Mia. This is a summary of what you need to do to recruit them. Please feel free to correct any mistakes.

thanks for this! throwing this in the OP asap!

Top Bottom