• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

TheMoon

Just started the game tonight, and played through the prologue. Really digging the music and the environments. I just have a few questions.

There seems to be A LOT too this game. Does the game properly explain to you most of the systems? The prologue wasn't that long at the moment.

Is my game glitched or can you run right through enemies with no collision detection?

Does the game only save after each chapter?

Thanks!

First off, thread title is not a joke. That manual, read it. There's a PDF linked in teh OP. There are tons of tips and other stuff that's frequently asked in there too, including a quick starter guide.

Saving is manual. Save manually or regret it. :)

Why Tobias? Is there something more Tobias than I am supposed to know? I thought his sidequest chain ended with him revealing that
He is one f the scientists that worked under the same project Kristy did, and was raising money to fund her project.

Well, shit. I thought I was done with him. Now I've spoiled myself.

He's still a jackass for the way he approaches the whole thing.

Someone pointed out earlier in the thread that Alex, Gus, and Tobias should never have been let on the White Whale in the first place. They were exactly right.

seriously only in anime/manga can you screw up that much by allowing these crazies

also if you lost a wife and kids you should be demoted to less sensitive tasks all your clearance revoked

but then again everyone lost someone

Golnei

seriously only in anime/manga can you screw up that much by allowing these crazies

also if you lost a wife and kids you should be demoted to less sensitive tasks all your clearance revoked

but then again everyone lost someone

I guess their admittance could be explained by the process not being entirely above-board - and considering how fondly Eliza speaks of Alex on Earth; it could be that his mental health screenings didn't pick up on the whole 'genocidal xenophobia' thing. Or that the need for highly-skilled personnel overrode those concerns.

I think 'everyone lost someone' also sort of stands up as an explanation for the security issues as well - if they detained everyone who had a reason to turn against BLADE; there'd be very few people left to run it. At the very least, it's not the shakiest part of the plot.

Wiseblade

This Nintendo Network downtime came at a horrible time. I was in the middle of Squad Task 20, which has missions with crazy high ticket rewards. I can't even switch to the current EU Splatfest either.

I can't start 'A Girl's Wings'. I have no idea why it says I haven't met the progress requirements - I'm sure I have. This game can be so fucking obtuse at times.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I always choose to help people out if they need it, but I wanted to see what happens when I tell no to a jackass -
Refused to help Gus, and then the fool went on to fight the spider and got himself killed. Was funny to see my character just shake her head.

I guess their admittance could be explained by the process not being entirely above-board - and considering how fondly Eliza speaks of Alex on Earth; it could be that his mental health screenings didn't pick up on the whole 'genocidal xenophobia' thing. Or that the need for highly-skilled personnel overrode those concerns.

I think 'everyone lost someone' also sort of stands up as an explanation for the security issues as well - if they detained everyone who had a reason to turn against BLADE; there'd be very few people left to run it. At the very least, it's not the shakiest part of the plot.

that is fair, it also mixes things up pretty well that you get to the point where you are cautious to trust humans as the good guys just because they were on your ship

it made other Xenos stand out

for me half the reasons I have avoided side quests for so long is that a lot of the were pretty dark

I get depressed too easily so that is not enjoyable not that they are not well written
they are great indeed but unexpected to see how dark they got so far

Astonishing, Mouth-Frothing Xenophobia is probably an acceptable mental state considering the circumstances leading to them leaving Earth in the first place. It wasn't until they started exploring Mira that they started actually interacting with different races rather than being wiped out by them.

TheMoon

This Nintendo Network downtime came at a horrible time. I was in the middle of Squad Task 20, which has missions with crazy high ticket rewards. I can't even switch to the current EU Splatfest either.

Ugh, they even delayed their network outage to 2016. God damnit, video games!

I can't start 'A Girl's Wings'. I have no idea why it says I haven't met the progress requirements - I'm sure I have. This game can be so fucking obtuse at times.
Did you accept the Normal Mission "The Flight Module" from the Mission Board in the Administrative District? That's the only thing I can think of that it would be. Yeah, I know it's weird the game forces you to do that for certain Affinity missions like that and Hope's first one, but it is what it is.

That and A Girl's Wings is a quest that forces you to go in solo, so ditch any party members you may have with you.

Golnei

Astonishing, Mouth-Frothing Xenophobia is probably an acceptable mental state considering the circumstances leading to them leaving Earth in the first place. It wasn't until they started exploring Mira that they started actually interacting with different races rather than being wiped out by them.

That's true - breaking peace agreements and plotting to assassinate NLA citizens might not have been smiled on, but the mindset it came from would have been very much encouraged, especially in the time period when the White Whale's crew was being assembled.

NX will be always online and I bet so will the next Xeno

The next Xenoblade might be an actual MMO.

Did you accept the Normal Mission "The Flight Module" from the Mission Board in the Administrative District? That's the only thing I can think of that it would be. Yeah, I know it's weird the game forces you to do that for certain Affinity missions, but it is what it is.

That and A Girl's Wings is a quest that forces you to go in solo, so ditch any party members you may have with you.

Thanks. So Stupid I have to go get a random mission from the board.

Not had to do that up to this point and I'm level 46!

Stupid game.

Alrus

Thanks. So Stupid I have to go get a random mission from the board.

Not had to do that up to this point and I'm level 46!

Stupid game.

A ton of affinity quests and normal missions require you to accept a request from the board beforehand. They're also super clear about it (like it's clearly written in the requirement "accept mission "xxx"). I'm assuming it's one of the weird design quirk where it seems they wanted the game to be sorta "realistic" (same with having to "sleep" or sit on a bench to change the time).

I mean the game is super obtuse about a ton of things but the requirement for quests isn't really one of them.

hohoXD123

A ton of affinity quests and normal missions require you to accept a request from the board beforehand. They're also super clear about it (like it's clearly written in the requirement "accept mission "xxx").

I mean the game is super obtuse about a ton of things but the requirement for quests isn't really one of them.
On the other hand it is stupid that the mission board for some reason doesn't show you all the missions but a random selection of them. I had to open and close the mission board at least 10 times to finally get the Off the Record mission.

Pokemaniac

On the other hand it is stupid that the mission board for some reason doesn't show you all the missions but a random selection of them. I had to open and close the mission board at least 10 times to finally get the Off the Record mission.

It kinda makes sense in story, since the missions are theoretically available to anyone qualified to do them, but it is kinda annoying in practice.

Dee Dee

To be fair there's a few affinity missions that start that way that you've skipped up until now :p

That would be Hope, Phog and Alexa right? Nothing of value was lost then.

Two of those make you fucking swim out to continents you've never been. The other one let's you literally backtrack because the character it is for can't remember where they actually wanted to take you.

If anything, do them later when you have enough fast travel points all over the world.

The only character recruiting missions I enjoyed so far where Yelv, H.B. and Frye. Very straightforward - and they are all lovable jerks about making you do a bunch of their own missions.

I only did the second affinity missions for Yelv, Hope, Phog, Doug and Bozé yet, besides the ones everybody has to do. I raged pretty hard and lost several Skells in that stupid mission Bozé makes you do, but at least it was a challenge. Yelv's back story is ridiculous.
So we now collect the mimoid of his friend piece by piece??
Hope's quest line is not set up for a happy end, but at least it was somewhat of consequences and not just a random misdion with a "here is why I became what I am now" chat tacked on to it.
I like Doug a bit more now, even though he literally has the blandest motivation in the game out of everyone I have seen.
Phog is just Phog. Man, that guy. His 3 hearts mission should be cool though.

I will take on H.B. and L next. I read up on both in the Prima guide, and H.B.'s mission will be brutal regarding the level I have him at (he joined my team level 15, and I am only using him now to get his affinity up).

Not interested in Alexa or Murderess at all, but I will eventually get there...

vareon

That would be Hope, Phog and Alexa right? Nothing of value was lost then.

Two of those make you fucking swim out to continents you've never been. The other one let's you literally backtrack because the character it is for can't remember where they actually wanted to take you.

If anything, do them later when you have enough fast travel points all over the world.

The only character recruiting missions I enjoyed so far where Yelv, H.B. and Frye. Very straightforward - and they are all lovable jerks about making you do a bunch of their own missions.

I only did the second affinity missions for Yelv, Hope, Phog, Doug and Bozé yet, besides the ones everybody has to do. I raged pretty hard and lost several Skells in that stupid mission Bozé makes you do, but at least it was a challenge. Yelv's back story is ridiculous.
So we now collect the mimoid of his friend piece by piece??
Hope's quest line is not set up for a happy end, but at least it was somewhat of consequences and not just a random misdion with a "here is why I became what I am now" chat tacked on to it.
I like Doug a bit more now, even though he literally has the blandest motivation in the game out of everyone I have seen.
Phog is just Phog. Man, that guy. His 3 hearts mission should be cool though.

I will take on H.B. and L next. I read up on both in the Prima guide, and H.B.'s mission will be brutal regarding the level I have him at (he joined my team level 15, and I am only using him now to get his affinity up).

Not interested in Alexa or Murderess at all, but I will eventually get there...

The journey to Sylvalum on foot was one of best moments in the game for me. Unless you took the boring route (swim all the way instad of taking the bridge).

But I realize we've been conditioned to be guided in an open world through a main story that it's hard to accept that the entire Mira was accessible from the start.

-shadow-

The journey to Sylvalum on foot was one of best moments in the game for me. Unless you took the boring route (swim all the way instad of taking the bridge).
Where's the bridge than? I only know of the route through water. There's a cliff in Primordia at the north, but that one just stops into a small mountain with a cave in it.

Wichu

Where's the bridge than? I only know of the route through water. There's a cliff in Primordia at the north, but that one just stops into a small mountain with a cave in it.
Continue past the mountain, and there's a chain of islands and shallow water that leads to Sylvalum.

It's near the topmost hex, if you look out from the bridge that leads to the cave around that hex you can eventually see some small isles out in the ocean you can walk across.

hohoXD123

It kinda makes sense in story, since the missions are theoretically available to anyone qualified to do them, but it is kinda annoying in practice.
If that's the case I don't see why someone would suddenly be qualified for a mission by checking the board multiple times. Just list all the missions you have access to.

Alrus

I thought that was the only way to Sylvalum tbh. I don't really get what's so great about reaching it that way either.

It's one of the weird "trying to be realistic/non gamey" design choices of the game. I have a feeling fast travel wouldn't be in if the person who made those decisions had his way >.>

ugoo18

I farmed it yesterday or the day before. You basically have to have 100% uptime on Ghostwalker or, you die. :p The first part of the fight it's probably easier if you have some TP gain augments, I didn't, and it meant there was some very fine timing on trying to keep overdrive going so I could keep using Ghostwalker.

Once you get him to around 45%, he starts calling a bunch of adds, and TP gain is super easy then assuming you're using longsword(why wouldnt you be if your farming a longsword!).

You also have to kill it a few times before it starts to drop the damn thing, first times I just got data drops. After that it dropped consistently every time though. Once you do finally get the katana, that fight becomes super easy because you can basically kill it in a single overdrive. xD

That's what happened to me too. I heard he dropped a good sword, rolled up to that cave fresh into the post game thinking I'd steamroll him despite neglecting my ground game since unlocking skells... big mistake.

Finally beat him.

Loaded my MC with Resist Control XX and scouted 3 Scouts with blossom dance and then just Overdrived him to death lol. Got the sword on my 3rd kill (Came with Nullify Physical Refect XV and Ultrafauna Slayer XV). Now to slot it and go back to ticket farming.

Pokemaniac

If that's the case I don't see why someone would suddenly be qualified for a mission by checking the board multiple times. Just list all the missions you have access to.

The point is that if you can't see the mission, then it, in the context of the game world, is either currently taken or does not exist.

john tv

also just went there to check the drop rate

first 2 puges

WVW69ivKrPEz6sF8PH

can't I gift that to you in game?

about 5-6 of them hang out here
WVW69ivKtegXsfdKnF

WVW69ivKuHwpGALW6X

edit: yeah the drop rate is great got 5 from the Knight Puges 7 of them up there in Lesser Anvil just north of where you were
Nice, thx for the tip! I got a nice Phoenix drop right after that last post. Just saving for one more level 50 Skell, then I'll have another go at the last boss.

Renewed

It's one of the weird "trying to be realistic/non gamey" design choices of the game. I have a feeling fast travel wouldn't be in if the person who made those decisions had his way >.>

Not related to fast travel but Skells. Looking back to Iwata Aks: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kojima - Yes, but the staff voiced their opinion that it's too harsh to make the players buy a new one when it breaks...

Takahashi - From there, the "Skell insurance" idea was created, and there's also an "insurance on insurance" system, too.

Iwata - An "insurance on insurance" system?

Takahashi - This system is that if you push the button at the right time to abort when the Skell's HP becomes zero and is destroyed, the Skell will be fixed without having to use insurance.

Iwata - So that's why it's an "insurance on insurance"! (laughs)

Kojima - Yes. (Makoto) Shimamoto-san in our staff is the lead battle designer, and he's a very kind man, unlike me.

Iwata - I see. (laughs)

Kojima - And I strictly told him to just let the Skell break when it was destroyed...but he added the "insurance on insurance" function without my consent.

All - (laughs)

Takeda - I'm not a skilled player, so for me someone like him is worthy of worship! (laughs)

Kojima - Just remember that this feature came solely from his kindness.

Takeda - Sure! (laughs)

PetrCobra

So I wonder now that I'm not going to buy any more Lv. 50 skells, is there any reason to worry about money anymore? I can switch most of the probes to mine miranium, right? Until I no longer need much of that either I mean...

I'm doing the What the Skell affinity mission, I haven't explored Cauldros before now so I'm actually having difficulty finding what I need to find.

Dubz

A few noob questions.

How do I level up? Like when I get a level up notification, what menu should I go into to upgrade stuff. I've tried upgrading my arts, but all I can seem to do now is move the Arts around in the bar in the HUD.

Equipping strongest items. I once was able to access a screen that gave me this option, but now I can't seem to find it.

Important early game stuff that I may miss. Is there something in particular that I should be doing early on that a lot of people miss?

random25

A few noob questions.

How do I level up? Like when I get a level up notification, what menu should I go into to upgrade stuff. I've tried upgrading my arts, but all I can seem to do now is move the Arts around in the bar in the HUD.

Equipping strongest items. I once was able to access a screen that gave me this option, but now I can't seem to find it.

Important early game stuff that I may miss. Is there something in particular that I should be doing early on that a lot of people miss?

When you highlight an art, press X to level it up. Same with skills. Also press X on the ground gear menu to open up other options such as equip strongest gear, add augments, change fashion gear, etc.

Dee Dee

So here is the weapon on my level 20 Skell I was talking about:

1MQ24ml.jpg

PS: The flame thrower ("Brenner") is so much fun too! I will keep using "Pumpkin", as I called the guy in memory of the fucking Squash fetch quest, until I hit level 50 and can buy better Skells for sure.

Top Bottom