• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Delstius

best place to grind brilliant tersqual liquid?

need 48 of them

repeat for 3 times

uuum.

I farm that in the lava zone in the middle of Cauldros, fly in skell and make sure to break their back.

I finally learned (advanced gameplay)
that I can press the Overdrive button while still in overdrive, and that's how people pull off infinite overdrive.

You can use the green/blue combo to extend it too, it's more effective with a higher count though so some green/orange for double count in the beginning is great for that. Some augments like Extend Overdrive XX or attributes like Overdrive Count Up are great too. The Overdrive system is really interesting to explore.

-Horizon-

WVW69ivVdA8XVLMQcA

F' that stupid monk' affinity quest. Who thought it was a good idea to have platforming + lava floor in a rpg game that cannot do proper platforming and with AI team that can't stay still or jump with you properly onto platforms.

I must have to spend like 20-30 minutes just soloing this bastard.
There was one mission in a Sylvalum blade camp that had you traverse a lava cave. My god its like the party AI can't figure out a good route that didn't include jumping straight to their deaths and leaving me to fend for myself.

Celica literally has the face of a baby. It's pretty gross to see that thing attached to a body with realistic proportions.

Creepy-Mets-baby.gif
Its seriously weird, even Lin does it a bit better and that's saying something lol.

I honestly love how alive NLA feels with all the different people and xenos walking around and doing stuff.

Still not as creepy as
human x nopon relationships
though.

Yeah, I thought it was just one character at first that sounded like that but
all the Prone females sound very masculine.

They're just so cuddly >:3

-shadow-

You get the option to bind an enemy when it's staggered.
Not sure what triggers the cockpit POV, but I find it annoying when it happens.

Ah, so I guess the Bind part was correct. The POV shot is annoying, but it resets all arts so they're usable, depending on the fight I honestly welcome it very much but I can't find out why. It's so odd the game does so little to explain how such basic things happen :\

I farm that in the lava zone in the middle of Cauldros, fly in skell and make sure to break their back.

You can use the green/blue combo to extend it too, it's more effective with a higher count though so some green/orange for double count in the beginning is great for that. Some augments like Extend Overdrive XX or attributes like Overdrive Count Up are great too. The Overdrive system is really interesting to explore.

I already knew about the various ways to extend it (and a lot of my chosen class Skills are based on exending overdrive timer or count), I just didn't realize the critical piece of info that was pressing the Overdrive button again during Overdrive.

-Horizon-

I just learned about something called a Homura skell weapon for a level 30 mech. It also told me that it can be a drop from the chapter 9 boss. Any idea how I can increase my chances of getting it?

Just a few hours in, but I'm really stumped by a few things and the manual hasn't turned up anything. Any help would be really appreciated.

1. Several times now, my weapon switch button has just stopped working. Turning off the game and relaunching has fixed it, but I'd like a better way. The button itself still works fine (I can use it in menus), and I can still switch weapons by using the associated arts, it's just that actually pressing X to switch weapons doesn't work.

2. Is there anything like the "Pull" option that was in XBC? Or do I have to do something awkward like shooting an enemy, then ordering my team to assemble in order to pull?

3. When I give the assemble command, what's the best way to get my party to spread out again while assuring they continue to focus on one target? Do I need to give a "Do as you please" order then follow up with a "Concentrate fire" order? Similarly, after giving an order to keep tension up, how can I tell my teammates that it's ok to use tension again?

4. Is there a way to order my teammates to move in and strike first? I'm trying to play a supporting role, so having to shoot first and potentially get stuck with aggro is a bad time.

Level 35 at Chapter 7 and struggling with finding research probes. Have plenty of mining ones but I'm only pulling in around 18k in money and I need alot more for the lvl 50 skells. Any ideas on how to get more?

Finalow

The story is a real clusterfuck, and I begin to doubt the developer themselves had something clear in mind for the game.
it is, or rather, the lack of actual story/explanations, character development ("hi I'm villain number 2, I want to kill you" - 10 seconds later - "noooo" *villain number 2 is dead*) creates what you could call a disappointing clusterfuck. disappointing because I recall the Iwata asks about the game, and the people taking care of the main scenario were talking of how much effort they were putting into it, how it needed to be something good to meet the expectations etc. and I was somehow expecting something decent out of it.

reading it again now, this part is pretty funny,
"Come to think of it, Takahashi-san wrote a lot. I've worked with Takahashi-san for a long time, but this was the first time I've seen him write so much for a game's plot. It was as if he was writing a novel." "Yes, it was like reading a novel." "It was quite a read on its own, so I even suggested to Takahashi-san to get it published."
if you take only the main quest cutscenes, you could make something like a 10 pages long novel at best? Lol. not even 10 pages of a good quality novel. *Takahashi :(, to think that once you wrote something much better like Xenogears.

I mean it's clear that the focus wasn't the main story, it seemed more like something forced into the game just because jrpgs need a plot. you only get an info dump in the last chapter, which felt like an hilariously bad and rushed attempt to answer the too many questions.
if they're not sure a sequel is 100% confirmed, I don't understand why they decided to leave so many questions unanswered and to even tease us in the finale with "more L. bullshit is coming!", makes no sense. it's not even close to how open the finale of Xenoblade was. and even if a sequel really is coming, it doesn't change the fact that they had some nice ideas for the overall plot but most of them were very poorly written and even more poorly executed.

~
that being said, I love the world building aspect of the game, not just the level design and the regions themselves (which alone are enough to keep you occupied for quite some time) but also all the side-quests aka ''normal missions'', the affinity quests and the npcs which are there to give life to NLA, to give some much needed details and character development, and to present you with numerous situations and peculiarities of the alien races you rescue, whether you decide to be a racist murderous apathetic killer or not. not all of those quests were always interesting or worth reading at all, but I enjoyed most of them. that, I think, is definitely the best part of this game.

tl;dr story sucks but the rest is good

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question:

I have Treasure Sensor +5% on five pieces of equipment = 25%

If I do this with all four characters that's 100%... Is that how it works? Is there any point in going over 100%?

Just beat chapter 10.
I enjoyed that fight. I wish there was more giant boss fights like that. It felt cool fighting in my flying skell.

it is, or rather, the lack of actual story/explanations, character development ("hi I'm villain number 2, I want to kill you" - 10 seconds later - "noooo" *villain number 2 is dead*) creates what you could call a disappointing clusterfuck. disappointing because I recall the Iwata asks about the game, and the people taking care of the main scenario were talking of how much effort they were putting into it, how it needed to be something good to meet the expectations etc. and I was somehow expecting something decent out of it.

reading it again now, this part is pretty funny,
"Come to think of it, Takahashi-san wrote a lot. I've worked with Takahashi-san for a long time, but this was the first time I've seen him write so much for a game's plot. It was as if he was writing a novel." "Yes, it was like reading a novel." "It was quite a read on its own, so I even suggested to Takahashi-san to get it published."
if you take only the main quest cutscenes, you could make something like a 10 pages long novel at best? Lol. not even 10 pages of a good quality novel. *Takahashi :(, to think that once you wrote something much better like Xenogears.

I mean it's clear that the focus wasn't the main story, it seemed more like something forced into the game just because jrpgs need a plot. you only get an info dump in the last chapter, which felt like an hilariously bad and rushed attempt to answer the too many questions.
if they're not sure a sequel is 100% confirmed, I don't understand why they decided to leave so many questions unanswered and to even tease us in the finale with "more L. bullshit is coming!", makes no sense. it's not even close to how open the finale of Xenoblade was. and even if a sequel really is coming, it doesn't change the fact that they had some nice ideas for the overall plot but most of them were very poorly written and even more poorly executed.

~
that being said, I love the world building aspect of the game, not just the level design and the regions themselves (which alone are enough to keep you occupied for quite some time) but also all the side-quests aka ''normal missions'', the affinity quests and the npcs which are there to give life to NLA, to give some much needed details and character development, and to present you with numerous situations and peculiarities of the alien races you rescue, whether you decide to be a racist murderous apathetic killer or not. not all of those quests were always interesting or worth reading at all, but I enjoyed most of them. that, I think, is definitely the best part of this game.

tl;dr story sucks but the rest is good

Didn't Takahashi scrap the majority of the plot once they made it an avatar system and added online elements. I said it prior but if you think of this game as a prologue or a chapter 1 meant to set the stage then it works fine. Problem is we all expected for the story to wrap entirely in this game (and rightfully so), so we're bound to be disappointed. Also, this isn't like his other games in terms of how little story there is but yet there are so many cast and character introductions.

I was searching for it today too. Got my skell wrecked in Shivering Sands so many times I ran out of money to fix it :p Take your skell and hover on water to the west of Sylvalum until you reach Sylvalum Waters. There should be two small islands with very powerful enemies, so don't get to close. Going back and forth between them, you will find many items on water and eventually the Spirit Wand.
I think I lost something like 2 hours exploring the whole Sylvalum and seaching for it.

Oh my god I just booted up the game and literally the first collectible I got was the spirit wand. Thank you RNJesus!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So, nobody else is having full screen issues? The games not filling out my tv :/

Your tv is probably not native 720p. This does this on one of my TVs. Just find a setting on your tv to "fill" the screen. It's an indescribable effect.

I have to say, it's really disorienting when I find a piece of the lifehold when I'm out wandering around. Seems like one of those things where it should just pause your current mission as everybody goes "oh shit! it's part of the lifehold!!!". Instead ... nothing happens. Might as well be a tree.

In this case it's even weirder since it's the one at the southernmost part of Cauldros, which seems like a bad place to leave anything.

Feels like weird plot oversight that the macguffin is just chilling out and nobody cares.

I finally learned (advanced gameplay)
that I can press the Overdrive button while still in overdrive, and that's how people pull off infinite overdrive.
On a related note
Pressing B exits overdrive. I don't know why you want to either. Seems like a way to punish people who animation cancel as they might do so in overdrive. Btw animation cancel is more of a Skell thing with how long the ends of some of their animations can be (you're not doing damage or starting to reduce cooldown during these). Btw Skell overdrive is just an odd beast and the 3000GP is consumed at the end. Maybe medium frames with their cap of 6000GP can extend it or at the very least can enter it more often then light or heavy. Feels like a way to try and give medium frames a niche the it between light dodging and heavy tanking and damage

finalflame

Man, having a Skell really changes the scale of the world, even before being able to fly.

I really this game had been made as an MMO-lite of sorts. Not a full fledged MMO, but like Destiny where there are a certain number of players in the same "instance" of the world as you. Could be by region. It would be so cool to just run into other players taking down huge indigens in the world and join in, or have something akin to public quests. The world is so huge and beautiful but sometimes feels so still. It wold also totally fit in with the rhetoric of running into other BLADEs (pathfinders, etc) out in the world going about their business.

Maybe XCXX.

Xbudz

So, nobody else is having full screen issues? The games not filling out my tv :/

It's full screen for me.
Here's what you could try, go into your Wii U display settings- set it to 720p, then use the screen border option to make sure the screen meets the edges of your TV. Then go back and set your Wii U to 1080p.

Try it out. Hope that works.

Just curious: Are there female players here who are subjecting the men to wear sexy outfits/nothing, much like male players are doing to the women?

lol

(not saying there are not girls here, just that you assume is mostly girls doing it to push your "reverse" sexism thing).

Talkin about sexualization, this is just soooo wrong:

WVW69ir6fDwtDKkdHy

Golnei

After seeing Celica's face, I don't get why people complained about Lin's.

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't escalate things further - there could have been at least three or four characters with progressively creepy faces. Monolith really should try focusing more on horror in their next game.

Chapter 8 spoilers:

Dude, you're getting a Vita!

Sure, Sony has pretty much dropped support at this point but to call it an ancient artifact is harsh.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say it. I can't take any of the cutscenes where it's being discussed seriously because of it - it's like if they'd kept the 'Growth' name instead of translating it as Ganglion.

Just curious: Are there female players here who are subjecting the men to wear sexy outfits/nothing, much like male players are doing to the women?

Subjecting? You make it sound so humiliating. In any case, even if there were people who wished to do that; there's really not that much in the way of 'sexy' outfits for men; unless they're going to just unequip everything. Can you even objectify a man?

Dee Dee

I made Gwin wear heart-shaped glasses and gave him a black body armour with weird wings on the shoulders and shiny leather pants. Now he runs around cut scenes like a reject from a glam rock casting - I love it. I started dressing the other guys like wannabe David Bowies too, to set up a boy band.

And while I am not much into the swim suits, there is that one male torso armour which has an odd cutout sliver, right over the belly button. That one is pretty sexy.

Golnei

lol

(not saying there are not girls here, just that you assume is mostly girls doing it to push your "reverse" sexism thing).

Watch in horror!

Though people kind of assume gay/bi men are going to do that, if they remember they exist. The idea that women will do the same is often met with far more confusion and surprise - look at all those discussions about how "the female brain" doesn't respond to attraction in the same way.

Also, that's how I found out how much taller Phog was compared to Lao - it's kind of cute.

Voliko

Might drop this game after the story missions are over. I don't really see the point in fighting the super bosses, upping the survey rates, and doing the boring missions. Everything feels like a chore. Sure, the normal missions and affinity missions have more story than the quests in the last game. However, the dialogue is pretty terrible and the majority of the scenarios seem to follow one of two formulas and feature the same handful of themes.

I wasn't a super-fan of the original like many were, but I did just about everything in that game. Somehow every aspect of the formula is worse in this game. I was hyped when they showed the flying mech trailer but the flight module and skells in general make the world feel downright minuscule.

I really hope Monolith does something different after this (not open world), I've just about had my fill of the Xenoblade formula. Also, the time between Xenoblade's release and X was ages, nearly 5 years.

Just got the flight module.

THIS FUCKING GAME!!!!!! Flying above the landscape you've spent so many hours traversing through, feeling like an ant....what a feeling. Wow

rhandino

Banned
Just got the flight module.

THIS FUCKING GAME!!!!!! Flying above the landscape you've spent so many hours traversing through, feeling like an ant....what a feeling. Wow
I know right.

I even kind of stopped fast traveling since its so much fun to just fly just a little above the ground and see the beasts and landscape pass by.

And speaking of fly module... the area located at the end of Noctilum is eerie as hell with the
music change and the Telethia constantly flying above that big flower thing

Finalow

site 504? I only found 2 there so I was hoping to find a better location.

There's quite a number of them at the Lake of Sylvalum.
oh, I'll try that.

Didn't Takahashi scrap the majority of the plot once they made it an avatar system and added online elements. I said it prior but if you think of this game as a prologue or a chapter 1 meant to set the stage then it works fine. Problem is we all expected for the story to wrap entirely in this game (and rightfully so), so we're bound to be disappointed. Also, this isn't like his other games in terms of how little story there is but yet there are so many cast and character introductions.
they had to rewrite some of the story to match with the online and avatar system but I don't think they scrapped most of what Takahashi wrote. I wouldn't be surprised if in his ''novel'' Elma was the main character. (pretty much like in the actual game :p)
if there actually is a sequel then it's fine to set a stage like this, it doesn't change the dumb and the bad, but at least we know that we're going to see some sort of closure to all of it at some point. I had my doubts because honestly it doesn't feel like a game that could get a sequel or be part of a trilogy even, if you ignore the main story. also it wouldn't be the first time that his games leave a lot unexplained.

but yes, there are a lot of characters met and developed through side-quests and as I mentioned that's the good part, they did put a lot of work into it.

So I think I am ready for chapter 12. Any spoilers-free advice about the final boss? My party is level 55-58, with 3 lv 50 skells and plenty of busters and phoenixes. Should I wear any specific augment? Like anti beam, gravity?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So I think I am ready for chapter 12. Any spoilers-free advice about the final boss? My party is level 55-58, with 3 lv 50 skells and plenty of busters and phoenixes. Should I wear any specific augment? Like anti beam, gravity?

You're overlevelled. Just go in and finish it off.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Am playing "Close Comrades" Affinity Mission so I can access chapter 7 -- I'm at the end where I need to fight a boss, and I'm in my Skell, kicking it's ass until a level 54 creature (I'm level 27 currently) in the area just decides to join the fight -- demolishes my entire team in seconds, including my Skell which I really don't want to pay to repair (it's the first one you get). Tried again and the same thing happened! The damn creature (it's giant) always joins and slaughters my team. Anyone else run into this issue?

You sound fine. If anything it should be a breeze

I know right.

I even kind of stopped fast traveling since its so much fun to just fly just a little above the ground and see the beasts and landscape pass by.

And speaking of fly module... the area located at the end of Noctilum is eerie as hell with the
music change and the Telethia constantly flying above that big flower thing

Seriously, fast travel will be put on the back burner for a bit now, unless I'm changing to a different region.

And,
that's the first place I flew to and I noped out of the place straight away. How exactly are you supposed to go up against a Lvl.99 anyway? Isn't the cap 60?

Malus

Watch out for the ultra galactic tomahawk attack when you least expect it. Only counter is cat ears armor.

Seriously, fast travel will be put on the back burner for a bit now, unless I'm changing to a different region.

And,
that's the first place I flew to and I noped out of the place straight away. How exactly are you supposed to go up against a Lvl.99 anyway? Isn't the cap 60?

I know, right? I have to pull the trigger twice.

Am playing "Close Comrades" Affinity Mission so I can access chapter 7 -- I'm at the end where I need to fight a boss, and I'm in my Skell, kicking it's ass until a level 54 creature (I'm level 27 currently) in the area just decides to join the fight -- demolishes my entire team in seconds, including my Skell which I really don't want to pay to repair (it's the first one you get). Tried again and the same thing happened! The damn creature (it's giant) always joins and slaughters my team. Anyone else run into this issue?

Pretty sure that indigen attacks you BECAUSE you are in the Skell. Try exiting the Skell when it is close during the fight or register it to someone else since they don't trigger the attention.

Delstius

I only discovered now the utility of Crush.Append. It's really easy to make and with enough, you can break every appendage on pretty much anything with ease. It's amazing if you need to break multiple appendages without the damn thing dying after one or two hit.
Might make the ticket farm even faster too, I need to try that.

To sum it up in one picture :

site 504? I only found 2 there so I was hoping to find a better location.

Yeah SE of FN504 there's 3 in the small lava zone in front of Bartley, the Conflagration (Gerrid tyrant), and two on his left on the ground close by (SW of site 508). Some more are around too but if you only want the Tersqual Liquid I suppose it's more efficient to concentrate on those.

Edit : FN 411 in the lake of Sylvalum seems actually way better.
There's a lot of them and with some Crush.Append you just one shot their back with the auto attack (or everything if you want) then search for another while your team finish it. Why did I only tried this now, it's insane for farming stuff.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Pretty sure that indigen attacks you BECAUSE you are in the Skell. Try exiting the Skell when it is close during the fight or register it to someone else since they don't trigger the attention.
Actually went in Skell-free the second time and the same thing happened. I reset the game and am gonna try again. Maybe it's just random placement of the enemy and I was unlucky (meaning it happened to have wandered really close at that point)

Actually went in Skell-free the second time and the same thing happened. I reset the game and am gonna try again. Maybe it's just random placement of the enemy and I was unlucky (meaning it happened to have wandered really close at that point)

Does Lin have Trash Talk? Or are you using moves that attacks nearby enemies? Then yeah, you might have to pay attention to your surroundings.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question: I'm at Ch.9 and I'm wondering

Does this game ever explain
the fact that there are "Skell"-like autonomous robot monsters roaming this "alien" planet? Seriously. That doesn't make sense. If Skells are just robots piloted by humans, then how are there all these "monsters" that look like Skells and the bad guys have Skells themselves?
That's weird, right? No spoilers. Is this ever elaborated or noticed by anyone in the game?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

You probably tried this, but have you aggro'ed the enemy and then "run away" for a bit and have the enemy chase you into a "safer" area to fight? I've had to do this in a few fights to keep a nearby enemy from aggro'ing into the fight.

Top Bottom