• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

So, downloaded the game and now looking at a 3 hour install time. Seriously? 3 hours to install 20gb? Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to the game but wtf? I'm remembering why I don't turn this system on much now.

Dineren

Banned
That's exactly what happens to me in open world games, including XBC, and I really love that game too.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen to me in XBX, but I'm going to try and wrap up all the affinity missions beforehand

For what it's worth, I have the same problem and I still have a desire to go back and clean up affinity missions and the normal missions I've missed now that I've beaten it.

Ch12 minor spoilers:

15 minutes until the deadline. Time to stare dramatically into the distance for 2 minutes.

Ch12 major spoilers:

If you were just going to digitize humanity, why would you only be able to store 20 million people? Why dad but not mom and the kid? smh.

Ch12 major spoilers part 2:

Fuck yeah, Lao. I never stopped believing!

Haunted

Ch12 minor spoilers:

15 minutes until the deadline. Time to stare dramatically into the distance for 2 minutes.

Ch12 major spoilers:

If you were just going to digitize humanity, why would you only be able to store 20 million people? Why dad but not mom and the kid? smh.
hey man hard drive space is expensive even in 2054

Hero

Just completed Chapter 5 and got one of the 'twists' I guess?

Interesting, very interesting. I really wish this game had a better focus on the narrative. XBC had me hooked by the end of the first area. I still feel kinda meh about the story in this.

Malus

Just got the ares 90 after a day of grinding and started walking around in it.

...god damn. This game keeps delivering.

Interesting, very interesting. I really wish this game had a better focus on the narrative. XBC had me hooked by the end of the first area. I still feel kinda meh about the story in this.

I'm happy with the tradeoff of main story vs sidequests. I just think they needed a bigger budget to animate some of the big moments better. That and add a little more character to the main characters. I think going back to the eu dubbing would bring back a lot of charm. Fiora is still my favorite voice in this.

finalflame

The story in this is pretty much a pile of hot garbage compared to the first. The story seems secondary to the game, unlike XC where it was front and center.

If you are playing for the story, you will be nothing but disappointed I fear.

-Horizon-

Going Viral is a really silly side quest :(
At least it gives a better understanding as to what the heck the
ovah is that the orpheon keep spouting about

But yeah, the repeated trips to
that one area of cauldros to keep killing the same enemy type just in increasing number was dumb lol

I've pretty much run out of quests to do at level 56 (only quest in my log atm is Definian Downfall), so what do I do now?

Is there somewhere good I can level myself to 60 and get a bunch of class levels in the process?

Edit: Just remembered the support missions in BLADE Barracks exist so I'm now maxing out my affinity and BLADE level.
Actually now that I think about it I assume there's even better level 60 versions I should use, so that brings me back to where I can level to 60 quickly? :p

rhandino

Banned
So now I have not only
Tree Clan
members living in NLA but also
some members of the Cavern Clan
along with some bizarre new race that
uses enviromental suits and have extreme tolerance to harsh enviroments to the point of enjoying something that is collected from a white phosphorus lake

Eek!

And the follow up quest about the Maker of Miracles was kind of insane in every sense.

shanafan

Kind of a general question, but can this game be compared to PSO at all? I have got back into playing PSO on GameCube, and I just love how simple the game is. I love the PSO atmosphere, and playing it isn't hard at all - like its easy to pick up and play.

I see this topic is called "Read the Frakkin Manual", so I fear it's not like PSO. But.. is it?

Somnid

Kind of a general question, but can this game be compared to PSO at all? I have got back into playing PSO on GameCube, and I just love how simple the game is. I love the PSO atmosphere, and playing it isn't hard at all - like its easy to pick up and play.

I see this topic is called "Read the Frakkin Manual", so I fear it's not like PSO. But.. is it?

Once you know what you're doing it's a fun grind if that's what you're asking. It does have a steep learning curve to learn all the little systems in play though.

I've pretty much run out of quests to do at level 56 (only quest in my log atm is Definian Downfall), so what do I do now?

Is there somewhere good I can level myself to 60 and get a bunch of class levels in the process?

Edit: Just remembered the support missions in BLADE Barracks exist so I'm now maxing out my affinity and BLADE level.
Actually now that I think about it I assume there's even better level 60 versions I should use, so that brings me back to where I can level to 60 quickly? :p

There is a level 90 Tyrant named Joker that is inside the giant flower that is over the waterfall in Noctilum. You will need to fly inside it and be sure to bring thermal weapons. Joker is accompanied by about 20 level 60 Blattas. You might want to increase your accuracy, but this seems to be a popular method here.

vareon

The core gameplay--doing missions, exploring the world--is an easy pick up and play. It will overwhelm you when you try to master all the systems. For instance, I'm 90 hours in and I don't really understand Overdrive and I don't even bother farming for equipments etc, but I'm still having helluva fun.

There is a level 90 Tyrant named Joker that is inside the giant flower that is over the waterfall in Noctilum. You will need to fly inside it and be sure to bring thermal weapons. Joker is accompanied by about 20 level 60 Blattas. You might want to increase your accuracy, but this seems to be a popular method here.

Does Phoenix count as thermal? >_>

Jims

So now I have not only
Tree Clan
members living in NLA but also
some members of the Cavern Clan
along with some bizarre new race that
uses enviromental suits and have extreme tolerance to harsh enviroments to the point of enjoying something that is collected from a white phosphorus lake

Eek!

And the follow up quest about the Maker of Miracles was kind of insane in every sense.

Ha, you sound like you're about right where I am in the game. That Miracle Maker follow-up quest was crazy,
literally the first time I stepped into Cauldros and it was to deal with that crazy Fraisie character?
Ooooookay game, if you say so.

How can a game with all of these ridiculously scary locations in it end up having a water purification plant becoming my most dreaded place to visit? Starting to have panic attacks any time that place is mentioned in a quest. Nothing that comes from or spins off from that place can ever be good news.

Spam that Phoenix friend, let them feel the sun.

K i tried it and phoenix killed all the little ones but only did about 1/3 of Joker's HP and I couldn't do much to him while it was on cooldown :p

But the little ones still gave great xp so I'll just kill them and then bail next time.

K i tried it and phoenix killed all the little ones but only did about 1/3 of Joker's HP and I couldn't do much to him while it was on cooldown :p

But the little ones still gave great xp so I'll just kill them and then bail next time.

That happened to me too, which is why I suggested more accuracy so your other Arts can hit. I also gave Phoenix to other party members too. Really, I rarely killed Joker and was mostly grinding the Blattas, I maxed out my classes with this method. You could always install battle probes if you have any, but Joker is weak for a level 90 Tyrant, so you'll get it eventually.

That happened to me too, which is why I suggested more accuracy so your other Arts can hit. I also gave Phoenix to other party members too. Really, I rarely killed Joker and was mostly grinding the Blattas, I maxed out my classes with this method. You could always install battle probes if you have any, but Joker is weak for a level 90 Tyrant, so you'll get it eventually.

Yeah I've already maxed out Enforcer and have Blast Fencer up to 8, so I'll have Galactic Knight maxed for the skills I need for my longsword build before I'm done :p

El Odio

Banned
At least it gives a better understanding as to what the heck the
ovah is that the orpheon keep spouting about

But yeah, the repeated trips to
that one area of cauldros to keep killing the same enemy type just in increasing number was dumb lol
I pretty much spent the entirety of the first quest in that series believing that that the enemy in question simply survived after death by splitting in two naturally without any of that Ovah stuff. Honestly, I still kind of do.
How can a game with all of these ridiculously scary locations in it end up having a water purification plant becoming my most dreaded place to visit? Starting to have panic attacks any time that place is mentioned in a quest. Nothing that comes from or spins off from that place can ever be good news.
I absolutely love the water purification plant and its related story arcs as it's a prime example of how much better the side quests in this game are compared to the original. It relies on more than just one quest chain to progress and deals with some pretty neat stuff.
While being absolutely horrifying at the same time.

I made up my mind for the first time to lose hours of progress just to go back and redo a quest

I was trying to see if I could save this cat-girl's girlfriend since I could not I decided to let Gus fight the spider since he is so snarky :)

Goonie Goo Goo Gus!

Wheres all the good XCX fan art at. Its like people completely forgot this game exists :/

I was only joking to see the reaction, but I guess she didn't like that I danced around a genuine question that was asked for my sake. But Lin took the joke way better than she did I could hang out with Lin, at least she has a sense of humor.

Yeah shes a little too serious and doesnt really have a sense of humor. Which is kind of cute in its own way.

So Elma's a cat person and Lin's a dog person.

Who's the "pets are lame" person, they'll be my new best friend.

I heard theres someone with those traits at the bottom of the Yawning Giant in Oblivia. You should free fall in there and find out :p

Golnei

Wheres all the good XCX fan art at. Its like people completely forgot this game exists :/

I heard theres someone with those traits at the bottom of the Yawning Giant in Oblivia. You should free fall in there and find out :p

Hartmut the Calamity is best girl.

I'm sure fanart will come with time - as a game, it's not going to hit the widest audience, so expecting something on Splatoon's level is only setting yourself up for disappointment - even the first game didn't have a huge amount of fanart until Shulk was put in Smash Bros. For the moment, maybe you can commission someone, if you absolutely need more Mia/Ga Buidhe vore art.

Yeah shes a little too serious and doesnt really have a sense of humor. Which is kind of cute in its own way.

the game is a time sink

the art love comes after we had our fill

the game is a time sink

the art love comes after we had our fill

Hartmut the Calamity is best girl.

I'm sure fanart will come with time - as a game, it's not going to hit the widest audience, so expecting something on Splatoon's level is only setting yourself up for disappointment - even the first game didn't have a huge amount of fanart until Shulk was put in Smash Bros. For the moment, maybe you can commission someone, if you absolutely need more Mia/Ga Buidhe vore art.

Yeah thats true. I mean I'm north of 150 hours and I'm still doing missions and affinity quests. Probably put in another 10 hours before I put it down and do something else with my life.

Splatoon definitely spoiled me. We were blessed with amazing fan art for days, and it still continues. Might import the art book. I have the small one that came with the special edition. Gotta see if the main art book has considerably more stuff.

Elma for Smash 5 please.

edit. Just found out what "vore" is. Glad I quarantined that search to Urban Dictionary only...

I hope one day we'll see a great piece of fan-art of the
Ma-non ship with all of the xenoforms.

Actually, when she went Colonel Mode in Gwin's affinity mission, it made me appreciate how relaxed Elma has been with pretty much everything. However, I would have loved to see her go Colonel Elma just for the sake of it.
Can you imagine her being calm one moment, but then being an absolute slave driver the next? Sounds like fun times to me.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
There's some good lewd fan art if you go looking. On the other hand, since I don't use Hope, I learned she has heterochromia from fanart.

Had to put Lin back in since all the good women are the psycho class. :(

Malus

Going from a heavy skell to the ares 90...holy shit...it's like I'm a batman/batmobile hybrid.

I've kinda complained about Sylvalum's relatively flat terrain compared to other maps, but it's worth it now. Seeing it in a whole different light. 170+ hours later and still getting surprised.

edit:
...5 minutes later and that's the first time I've found a secret area while driving lol.

vareon

Just did chapter 11. Something that really bugs me:

Why did the narrative sound like humanity never touched Cauldros? People made basecamps there. Why am I able to waltz in to Ganglion base, wreck things and leave?

Anyway, lots more affinity quests.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there really no way to have some characters display Fashion Model and some Primary Gear? Not sure if I'm doing this right, but it seems like it's all party members have to be set the same way? Is there a trick to it?

Also are there really some characters better than others to use? There's so many, I feel like I'm wasting a fortune and too much time getting and upgrading everyone.

Golnei

Is there really no way to have some characters display Fashion Model and some Primary Gear? Not sure if I'm doing this right, but it seems like it's all party members have to be set the same way? Is there a trick to it?

I'm not sure where you're running into trouble - if you mean having a few pieces of fashion gear as well as showing some pieces of armour which are actually equipped, just unequip the corresponding piece of fashion gear to show the 'true' armour.

Why did the narrative sound like humanity never touched Cauldros? People made basecamps there. Why am I able to waltz in to Ganglion base, wreck things and leave?

It's pretty inconsistent in the sidequests as well - sometimes it seems like a normal area of operations for BLADE, sometimes it's shown as an untouched wilderness which nobody's ever begun to approach.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm not sure where you're running into trouble - if you mean having a few pieces of fashion gear as well as showing some pieces of armour which are actually equipped, just unequip the corresponding piece of fashion gear to show the 'true' armour.

It's pretty inconsistent in the sidequests as well - sometimes it seems like a normal area of operations for BLADE, sometimes it's shown as an untouched wilderness which nobody's ever begun to approach.

It seems like if I set Fashiom Gear for one character, it makes me show Fashion Gear for all?

I'm trying to have some characters do Fashion and some their actual equipment since my lists arent the same

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
WVW69ivVdA8XVLMQcA

F' that stupid monk' affinity quest. Who thought it was a good idea to have platforming + lava floor in a rpg game that cannot do proper platforming and with AI team that can't stay still or jump with you properly onto platforms.

I must have to spend like 20-30 minutes just soloing this bastard.

Hardest affinity quest in the game by far

i wasn't about to switch classes, so i was trying to dual gun/dual sword that motherfucker.... ugh

Golnei

It seems like if I set Fashiom Gear for one character, it makes me show Fashion Gear for all?

I'm trying to have some characters do Fashion and some their actual equipment since my lists arent the same

If a character has something equipped as fashion gear, it'll always show over their primary gear - there's no global setting to disable the mechanic as a whole. You have to remove all items from their list manually for anyone you want to only wear their primary gear.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Because you're playing a very open world video game.

vareon

Because you're playing a very open world video game.

The problems I have can be easily fixed:

- Have the fight with Lao somewhere in Cauldros instead of right in the very base of the enemy.
- Let the script treat players as if Cauldros has been explored by BLADE--but not thoroughly.
- Or maybe set a flag if player has been to Cauldros.

The way quests set up, it feels like the world was done first and then scripters write the quests on top of that.

Not that I'm complaining, it's probably the only way this goddamn game could have made. If I have an editor I would probably make some bizarre quests as well.

Golnei

- Let the script treat players as if Cauldros has been explored by BLADE--but not thoroughly.

That'd probably be the most sensible approach; taking into account the possible actions of the player without forcing them to incorporate alternate dialogue. Writing around the pieces of the Lifehold the player may have already found in a similar manner would also have helped.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Exactly how does the Phoenix weapon work? Is it a radial blast around the target, or around the caster? Or is it an arc between the target and caster?

john tv

Thx for the tips, guys. I decided to get four level 50 Skells, just to be safe. Also hand-picked my gear since the auto-setup kinda sucks, and equipped a whole bunch of augments. Went back to the end battle and absolutely crushed it. Just under 92 hours in the end, 300 missions completed in total (according to Social → Rankings). I'm gonna move on to other games now, but if I had more time I could definitely see myself going to 100% this. Side missions are just too much fun.

Will keep following this thread at least. Enjoy, peeps!

Top Bottom