• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Golnei

Question: I'm at Ch.9 and I'm wondering

Does this game ever explain
the fact that there are "Skell"-like autonomous robot monsters roaming this "alien" planet? Seriously. That doesn't make sense. If Skells are just robots piloted by humans, then how are there all these "monsters" that look like Skells and the bad guys have Skells themselves?
That's weird, right? No spoilers. Is this ever elaborated or noticed by anyone in the game?

Are you talking about the Qmoevas? Those are just Ganglion AI weapons like the pugiliths, I think. Humans tend to just refer to all mechs as Skells if they're vaguely humanoid.

The ancient robot ruins are something entirely different, however.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Thank you everyone for the advice! After I reset the game (and accidentally lost about an hours progress, oops) the large indigen didn't join the fight and things went fine.

I really like Skells so far but damn, death has much more significant consequences now than it did before (providing I fail the QTE when my Skell is destroyed, which I always seem to).

Dineren

Banned
Finally beat the last chapter after getting sidetracked doing missions for probably 15 hours. The story had its issues, but overall I enjoyed it. The biggest thing this game nailed was exploration. I have never played a game where I actually wanted to spend extra time exploring. Not only was there cool stuff to see from exploring there are also great incentives for finding all the sightseeing spots, opening the treasure chests, and planting probes.

I expected to enjoy this game going in, but this is by far my favorite game of the last several years. My current time played is 110 hours and I still want to go back and finish up the rest of the affinity missions and grind out some of the endgame skells.

I'm a little disappointed that they'll be going back to a more story based linear game after this, but I'm still happy to have gotten such a unique and memorable experience.

Question: I'm at Ch.9 and I'm wondering

Does this game ever explain
the fact that there are "Skell"-like autonomous robot monsters roaming this "alien" planet? Seriously. That doesn't make sense. If Skells are just robots piloted by humans, then how are there all these "monsters" that look like Skells and the bad guys have Skells themselves?
That's weird, right? No spoilers. Is this ever elaborated or noticed by anyone in the game?

This isn't a story or quest spoiler but,
there are various hints throughout the game that suggests that an ancient civilization existed on Mira before even the Nopon.
I think this is something MonolithSoft might explore a little more if they continue this storyline.

random25

Are you talking about the Qmoevas? Those are just Ganglion AI weapons like the pugiliths, I think. Humans tend to just refer to all mechs as Skells if they're vaguely humanoid.

The ancient robot ruins are something entirely different, however.

Aren't Qmoevas piloted skells too? You see them sometimes parked with alien humanoids beside them, assuming they are the pilots though they never ride them once they detect you.

PetrCobra

Thank you everyone for the advice! After I reset the game (and accidentally lost about an hours progress, oops) the large indigen didn't join the fight and things went fine.

I really like Skells so far but damn, death has much more significant consequences now than it did before (providing I fail the QTE when my Skell is destroyed, which I always seem to).

You will learn to do that QTE most of the time, it's pretty slow and easy to do. What you need to do now is hold over until you're level 30 and can buy a better skell. Maybe just exit the thing if you get attacked by a high level monster and can't run away.

Dineren

Banned

As PetrCobra said the QTE is much slower than regular ones so just keep an eye on your health and if you get too low be ready. The biggest problem I had at first was panicking and mashing the button, once you get over that it is really easy to hit.

Elma is bae

But she didnt take kindly to getting hit on

vHYmQSh.jpg

Golnei

Errr. Her 2nd one is called A False Hope right?

I assume they mean her second post-recruitment one, A Present for Hope.

Aren't Qmoevas piloted skells too? You see them sometimes parked with alien humanoids beside them, assuming they are the pilots though they never ride them once they detect you.

They could be - you mainly see Galdrs with pilots in cutscenes, and they're treated very similarly as enemies.

vareon

Qmoevas are piloted. Are you talking about Xe-doms? I think they're just freakish.

Anyway the game follows anime logic where everyone fought with robots.

Elma is bae

I was only joking to see the reaction, but I guess she didn't like that I danced around a genuine question that was asked for my sake. But Lin took the joke way better than she did I could hang out with Lin, at least she has a sense of humor.

Didn't Takahashi scrap the majority of the plot once they made it an avatar system and added online elements. I said it prior but if you think of this game as a prologue or a chapter 1 meant to set the stage then it works fine. Problem is we all expected for the story to wrap entirely in this game (and rightfully so), so we're bound to be disappointed. Also, this isn't like his other games in terms of how little story there is but yet there are so many cast and character introductions.

they had to rewrite some of the story to match with the online and avatar system but I don't think they scrapped most of what Takahashi wrote. I wouldn't be surprised if in his ''novel'' Elma was the main character. (pretty much like in the actual game :p)
if there actually is a sequel then it's fine to set a stage like this, it doesn't change the dumb and the bad, but at least we know that we're going to see some sort of closure to all of it at some point. I had my doubts because honestly it doesn't feel like a game that could get a sequel or be part of a trilogy even, if you ignore the main story. also it wouldn't be the first time that his games leave a lot unexplained.

but yes, there are a lot of characters met and developed through side-quests and as I mentioned that's the good part, they did put a lot of work into it.

I'm pretty sure it was said that they scaled back on the story because this was their first HD game so they cut back on those aspects to focus on others (cutscenes cost a lot of money apparently). If you look over in the spoiler thread you can read about some details such as the game o
riginally having a male protagonist and his personal machine was the Ares (much like Fei had his Weltall). The Ares also had an alternate mode called Ares Burn X which I suppose would be the Weltall ID equivalent.

There's also the comment about how their next project will focus more on the story compared to Xenoblade X.

Which I take it to mean that Takahasi is confident that they won't have to compromise on the scope of the story due to their experience developing Xenoblade X.

random25

Qmoevas are piloted. Are you talking about Xe-doms? I think they're just freakish.

Xe-doms are ancient tech I think.
The ancient guardian thing at Noctilum is one scary Xe-dom so it kinda makes sense.

Wait so I just finished chapter 5.
Can someone explain
what a mimiosome actually is still kinda confused on the topic.

Basically,
the bodies that you and all the humans in NLA have are not their real bodies. Think of them as physical avatars meant to represent what their real bodies look like. This was done so they wouldn't run the risk of dying from age as they didn't know how long it would be to find a planet to live on. However, it is only temporary and is why it's important to get the lifehold since that is where their real bodies are.

finalflame

I just got to Sylvalum and HOLY SHIT. I thought Noctilum was amazing, but this is off the charts. And dat music. My only complaint is that things seem to be especially trying to kill me here, moreso than in Primordia/Oblivia/Noctilum; maybe the hostile enemy density is just higher with more forms of detection.

vareon

I just got to Sylvalum and HOLY SHIT. I thought Noctilum was amazing, but this is off the charts. And dat music. My only complaint is that things seem to be especially trying to kill me here, moreso than in Primordia/Oblivia/Noctilum; maybe the hostile enemy density is just higher with more forms of detection.

Every last rocks, plants, and sand on Sylvalum is hell bent on killing you. Have fun.

-Horizon-

Can someone explain
robot body, they're just somehow controlling it from the lifehold

Haha, just wait until you experience that one weather effect (unless you already have) lol

Elma is bae

vHYmQSh.jpg

I was only joking to see the reaction, but I guess she didn't like that I danced around a genuine question that was asked for my sake. But Lin took the joke way better than she did I could hang out with Lin, at least she has a sense of humor.
So Elma's a cat person and Lin's a dog person.

Who's the "pets are lame" person, they'll be my new best friend.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Right that's what's doesn't make sense to me. Everyone's robots look the SAME. And they're supposed to be different alien races with the same looking mech design?

-Horizon-

Irina is terrible with animals apparently based on what I heard from an NPC.
Though I think that's the animals not liking her lol

Vena

Right that's what's doesn't make sense to me. Everyone's robots look the SAME. And they're supposed to be different alien races with the same looking mech design?

Xe-doms don't look like any Ganglion mech. They are Mira tech/defenders but the ones patrolling were jacked by Ganglion.

Can someone explain

They are just robot bodies being controlled remotely but technology is so advanced that it's as if their consciousness is actually in the mimeosome a la ghost in the shell.Their real bodies are in the lifehold.

Thanks, but I still can't find him. Not sure what I did wrong. I have a 3 heart rating and I've already done the dog one.

check if he's at his usual recruit spot first. Maybe your third heart isn't full.

K.Sabot

Finishing the main story made me instantly ambivalent towards doing anything else in the game.

Should just done everything else first.

finalflame

Every last rocks, plants, and sand on Sylvalum is hell bent on killing you. Have fun.

I'm quickly noticing that, thanks for confirming.

Haha, just wait until you experience that one weather effect (unless you already have) lol

You mean the one
where it's some kind of sand storm and you can't see 2 inches in front of you?
If so, I experienced it right as I got to Sylvalum while fighting a Tyrant who, thankfully, was 8 levels lower than me. This game is really ruthless with its weather effects.

-Horizon-

I'm quickly noticing that, thanks for confirming.

You mean the one
where it's some kind of sand storm and you can't see 2 inches in front of you?
If so, I experienced it right as I got to Sylvalum while fighting a Tyrant who, thankfully, was 8 levels lower than me. This game is really ruthless with its weather effects.
Haha yep. Except when it happened to me I kept bumping into things 10+ levels above me lol. So many restarts at last major location screens lol

john tv

Any recommendations for augments to bring to the final final boss battle? (WARNING - final boss spoilers:
Talking about the Lao fight after the Vita.

Lost once a couple days ago, have since spent a bunch of time powering up and farming weapons and such. About to go take another crack at it in a bit.

Any recommendations for augments to bring to the final final boss battle? (WARNING - final boss spoilers:
Talking about the Lao fight after the Vita.

Lost once a couple days ago, have since spent a bunch of time powering up and farming weapons and such. About to go take another crack at it in a bit.

Use background noise, the one where there is a chance of increasing damage if you target appendages, and night visions as your skills. Change the time so you'll be fighting him at night. Just make sure you hit those soul voices and you should be fine.

Dineren

Banned
I should have paid more attention to augments when I was playing. I didn't once insert any augments into my equipment.

I pretty much just brute forced the last boss with overdrive.

Voliko

Well, lost my skells on part 1 of the final battle but ended up doing it with ground gear. True Stream Edge is cheap.

That ending though... why

Also, the cutscene direction definitely took a step down in this game. There was only one that stood out to me-
the part with Irina's team during the attack on NLA

El Odio

Banned
So all the Nagi bad ass comments pertain to the war game affinity mission right?
I don't even understand why Nagi's Time had a level requirement to be honest.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finishing the main story made me instantly ambivalent towards doing anything else in the game.

Should just done everything else first.

That's exactly what happens to me in open world games, including XBC, and I really love that game too.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen to me in XBX, but I'm going to try and wrap up all the affinity missions beforehand

Well, lost my skells on part 1 of the final battle but ended up doing it with ground gear. True Stream Edge is cheap.

That ending though... why

Also, the cutscene direction definitely took a step down in this game. There was only one that stood out to me-
the part with Irina's team during the attack on NLA

The game is pretty Main Story-lite imo. Before I even revealed the spoiler text I knew the exact scene you were going to mention.

All I can really say is look forward to their next project since that will be more story focused.

Top Bottom