• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Yep. I think it's the rebel option.

Makes me wanna try the joker type next to see his quirky dialogue.

Male joker has possibly my favourite avatar line, with "Who wants a hug, huh? You do!" when you bind something with your Skell. I was sad I didn't like the female joker's personality much in comparison!

I don't suppose there's a compilation of end-of-battle interactions somewhere out there, is there? A hundred hours in and I only just now noticed Elma wishing her skell came equipped with a way to make tea.

random25

Male joker has possibly my favourite avatar line, with "Who wants a hug, huh? You do!" when you bind something with your Skell. I was sad I didn't like the female joker's personality much in comparison!

Gonna try the joker next. Looking at the internet he seems to have lots of good banter.

I don't suppose there's a compilation of end-of-battle interactions somewhere out there, is there? A hundred hours in and I only just now noticed Elma wishing her skell came equipped with a way to make tea.

I wish somebody would compile these. There's this thing between Lao and Lin on how come Tatsu is not being cooked yet. Or how Frye invites Nagi for a drinking session. I wanna try out different team combos just for the dialogues.

Irminsul

The combat is great fun, but yeah, the game can be finicky about range sometimes, or even locking onto a target. (I sometimes have to adjust the camera and click R + A several times before the game locks on) But ultimately I can overlook it as a quirk of the system. Experience is greater than the sum of its parts. :)
If you just want to lock on an enemy, just press R. I know it says R+A in the manual(?), but that's just if you want to cycle through multiple enemies (same as R+Y). And yes, that can be quite finicky indeed.

I remember Elma and Irina talking about go shopping after fight lol

Stupid Bonjelium. Why won't you mine quicker? I feel I'm going to have to leave the game idle *sigh* just so I get enough here. It is pretty daft the precious resource for many endgame augments is frontiernav only while loads of the one you have 99 of are given out in time attacks.

I'm at the point where I'm nearing 99 Blazing Gas Sacs (thanks to farming weapons from Durvin, the Perceptive) but can't use them to craft potential up XX because I don't have enough Bonjelium.

I wish somebody would compile these. There's this thing between Lao and Lin on how come Tatsu is not being cooked yet. Or how Frye invites Nagi for a drinking session. I wanna try out different team combos just for the dialogues.
It is a daunting task though as each MC voice has its own unique interactions too.

This is off memory so will be fuzzy.
Female independent: Come on, we have a mountain of things to do.
L: Oh how tall is this mountain?
Elma: That's the spirit. Don't overwork yourself though.
Nagi. Yes mam. At once mam.
Mia: Chieeefff you're killing me

Elma's tea drinking also comes up between Elma and Hope.

Golnei

Do all the female avatars have lines about their hair? It seemed like a poor fit for the voice I chose, so I assumed it was something shared across all of them.

Also, when Elma interrupted Irina in the scene introducing Leland Cole, I was completely shocked that she didn't trail off and leave three seconds of dead air before Elma's line. I think that might be the only actual instance of that being done properly in the entire script.

random25

It is a daunting task though as each MC voice has its own unique interactions too.

This is off memory so will be fuzzy.
Female independent: Come on, we have a mountain of things to do.
L: Oh how tall is this mountain?
Elma: That's the spirit. Don't overwork yourself though.
Nagi. Yes mam. At once mam.
Mia: Chieeefff you're killing me

Elma's tea drinking also comes up between Elma and Hope.

Yeah. Probably the wiki for this game can slowly make something for the quotes collection.

I've emptied my quest log and can't see any more around NLA yet every continent has a bunch of quest segments incomplete D:

Means that you either don't meet the requirements to triggering the quest or the quest giver is in some other location.

So have fun figuring it out =D

HeroR

Having three lv 30 Skells with G-Buster and one lv 20 really is overkill. The Chapter 7 boss went down in two hits. Still felt good through given what a smug little witch she was. She deserve to be curb stomp.

Means that you either don't meet the requirements to triggering the quest or the quest giver is in some other location.

So have fun figuring it out =D

Went to the
Nopon Caravans
and
Wrothian Stronghold
at both day and night and found 5 quests. It's a start :p

Can someone tell me how to trigger the Sparking A Smile mission? I've done every other prerequisite for Mia's affinity mission and I can't find this mission anywhere.

And yes, I checked in the nopon bazaar (and even completed the segment there). Still, no dice.

NeonZ

Huh. There's a npc (one of the Laras) who mentions that the communication log
from a recovered Lifehold piece had Japanese and French.

Finished the story.

This was a hell of a lot more of an outline to a story you want to write than an actual finished story. And it's probably all never going to be resolved, is it? Fucking sucks. Mira itself being wack was hinted at in the Professor B quests and I was hoping for at least a resolution to that. Never mind learning about humanity's ancient ancestors and all the other wacky stuff that showed up at the end.

Personally, I think
the post credits scene was clearly sequel bait. If it weren't for that, the story would be basically fairly closed, just with some details not explained well, like the 2nd race fighting on Earth and Mira's "mystery" would be just an excuse for common language and side-quest atmospheric stuff.

However, when you add that scene, then Mira is suddenly the reason everyone is still alive, Lao somehow survived again (which might tie into his comment about always returning) and you've also got the mysterious caped guy. That entire segment seems like sequel bait, rather than just a some vague unexplained scene. I'll be surprised if we don't get a direct sequel to X.

Alright, apparently I need to also complete over 40% of Mira before the quest will show up. It'd be nice if the game would let you know these things. I see no reason why Affinity missions should get special treatment in terms of knowing prerequisites ahead of time.

Haunted

Personally, I think
the post credits scene was clearly sequel bait. If it weren't for that, the story would be basically fairly closed, just with some details not explained well, like the 2nd race fighting on Earth and Mira's "mystery" would be just an excuse for common language and side-quest atmospheric stuff.

However, when you add that scene, then Mira is suddenly the reason everyone is still alive, Lao somehow survived again (which might tie into his comment about always returning) and you've also got the mysterious caped guy. That entire segment seems like sequel bait, rather than just a some vague unexplained scene. I'll be surprised if we don't get a direct sequel to X.
Yup. Honestly, I wish I hadn't watched until after the credits, it would've been a better ending from a storytelling perspective.

Golnei

Was that the result of the "White Lifehold" mission? I think it was mentioned that it explicitly wasn't from the New LA colony ship.

At some point I'm gonna do a Story mission, I swear. But first, I gotta do these other Basic and Normal missions. >.>

I'm around 50% in Primordia, >40% in Noctilum and Oblivia I think. Still haven't really touched Sylvalum.

Also, finally got around to setting Fashion Gear; I can finally turn headgear back on

cm osi

how do arts works for the npcs, they use all of the arts avaible fro their classes or just the one they have equipped?

StAidan

I'm going to be laughably over-leveled this entire game. Been playing 65 hours so far, fighting level 20-30 stuff in story chapters (5 & 6) and now I'm level 45 with a team of level 30 skells. I'm even still doing affinity missions with level 20-ish adversaries.

There's just so much to do in this world. Barely even touched Cauldros yet, except a short stint for a mission involving the caravan there.

Lvl 40 here going to chapter 9. I have made only one heart-to-heart interaction (Lin). Am I missing too much? Don't even know where are the others.
It is more of a pain to see all the text in this game this time in them (like before they have branching dialogue) due to how slow reloading the save is.

Spreadsheet in the OP allies tab has all locations. You need affinity hearts equal to the heart to heart level to unlock them. If you ignore them completely and get 4 hearts with someone then doing the first 4 heart to heart will be enough to max affinity with them (which is an achievement and the 5th heart to heart unlocked). Given later affinity missions tend to be 4 hearts level in terms of improving affinity doing heart to heart is practical.

Remember they show up when they are not in your party.

Whizkid7

So I happened to be walking around town and sort of fell into the Murder Most Foul quest .(GET IT?! HAH! HAH! HAH! I'M FORCING THE LAUGHTER BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO THINK OF HOW DEPRESSING THIS SIDEQUEST WAS)

It seems like all the really good sidequests make me want to cry. And not in a good way.

And seriously,
his wife gets so overstressed she commits suicide?! Over delivering PIZZAS?! How many do those crazy Ma-non eat?!

So I happened to be walking around town and sort of fell into the Murder Most Foul quest .(GET IT?! HAH! HAH! HAH! I'M FORCING THE LAUGHTER BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO THINK OF HOW DEPRESSING THIS SIDEQUEST WAS)

It seems like all the really good sidequests make me want to cry. And not in a good way.

And seriously,
his wife gets so overstressed she commits suicide?! Over delivering PIZZAS?! How many do those crazy Ma-non eat?!

Did you do the quest where you have to
deliver pizza to Man-on? Those fuckers are really annoying. I can see why the wife lost it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly enjoyed the sidequests more than the main story, even if I got hooked to the mystery of Mira.

It's so mixed with emotions!

Also I kept pressing L -> R for squad mission targets but nothing pops up!

I honestly enjoyed the sidequests more than the main story, even if I got hooked to the mystery of Mira.

It's so mixed with emotions!

Also I kept pressing L -> R for squad mission targets but nothing pops up!

It's holding R and then pressing L to cycle through the monster names

NeonZ

Was that the result of the "White Lifehold" mission? I think it was mentioned that it explicitly wasn't from the New LA colony ship.

Yes, it's probably due to that mission. I'm just posting it there because the mission never made it clear what could be the other Colony ship, but the languages mentioned there make its identity much more specific.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is there a way to change your avatar? Thought I remember someone saying you could, but I can't figure it out. I'm on Chapter 10 (I can start the chapter, but haven't yet).

NeonZ

Why is this bullshit about "multiplayer changing the story" rumor spreading?

I couldn't find it right now, I think there should be a link in one of my previous posts though, but there was an older quote from Takahashi about the multiplayer elements being the reason they went with an avatar rather than unique main character and those changes being done after the story was already written. More recently though, there was this quote which gives another reason for the avatar and sidequest focus:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/

In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality. In exchange, we focused on designing lots of quests, and added a lot of supporting characters related to these.

However, in the last few days, there was that concept art from the art book with the original main character and some story bits, which seems to have made some people remember the old quote about the story originally being written without the avatar. So people are now assuming that we went from that to the final game just due to the avatar and multiplayer bits, while forgetting that other recent interview.

fallingdove

This game has some of the most perplexing design decisions I have ever encountered.

- You would think that with such an amazing world that the game would promote and reward exploration whenever it could. Instead, treasures and way points are locked behind a meaningless BLADE leveling system. Not to mention, if you wander into an area with aggressive high level enemies, there is a good chance you could be on the receiving end of a one hit mortal blow and sent back to your last discovered area.

- The hex map is absolute shit. It feels like the fast travel and map systems were developed by a team that has never played a western rpg. The map being locked to the Wii U tablet is also moronic.

- The story. Sweet Jesus, the story. There are some really interesting things about the story in XCX, but every time I start to get invested in the characters or what is happening, I am forced to go on a stupid fucking fetch quest. Many of these require that I have a drop/location guide pulled up so that I can figure out where the damn thing is. By the time I am ready to continue the storyline, I am pissed about the waste of time and have forgotten about the last story element that had me saying, Holy shit, that's awesome.

- And then there are the Skells. I love the Skells. I actually felt like I was playing a sequel to Xenogears for a moment while cruising across the desert, my team clad in their sweet tech. But Monolithsoft decided it was too wonderful and decided to pair the Skells with things like salvage costs/tickets when your Skell is defeated in battle. The prior costing nearly half as much as the incredibly expensive Skell. So again you have to worry about traversing the beautiful world map, fearful of encountering an aggressive monster bad ass because if you, heaven forbid, loose your Skell, it means hours of replenishing the cash you lost.

I am sure that some of these things are relived if you are over-leveled/in post game but what is the point? You have to slog for 100+ hours in poorly thought out systems before things fall into place?

Sorry - rant over. I am such a huge fan of the Xeno games, it upsets me when the team, by a hair, misses greatness. Their games are so different than your typical JRPG, its a shame that they don't get the polish that they often need.

Why is this bullshit about "multiplayer changing the story" rumor spreading?

The developers said that the game was originally written to have a voiced protagonist but midway through development the voiced protagonist was changed to a customizable avatar and the script underwent a massive rewrite. I'm not sure if the online components were decided on before or after this change, but Takahashi cited one of the reasons for the silent protagonist being budgetary constraints with the project. He said one of the most expensive parts of the game was the cutscenes and changing the protagonist into a silent avatar led to the main story having less major cutscenes overall, with those extra resources then being utilized for other aspects of the game.

Golnei

I dunno maybe it came from the same place as "localization ruined the story!!111".

It did, though. Without the hot springs scene between Lao and Ga Jiarg, you have absolutely none of the context required to make sense of the ending. They could have censored the visuals and kept the audio if they really cared about the narrative, but cutting it out completely was an utterly draconian move.

- You would think that with such an amazing world that the game would promote and reward exploration whenever it could. Instead, treasures and way points are locked behind a meaningless BLADE leveling system. Not to mention, if you wander into an area with aggressive high level enemies, there is a good chance you could be on the receiving end of a one hit mortal blow and sent back to your last discovered area.
It's to have a bit of linear progression, but you can still find landmarks as a means of going back to general areas you've managed to get to (usually they're near mining probes anyway), and I find it a neat challenge to try and find a way to get around enemies and get to places a low level character shouldn't be.

Fandangox

It did, though. Without the hot springs scene between Lao and Ga Jiarg, you have absolutely none of the context required to make sense of the ending. They could have censored the visuals and kept the audio if they really cared about the narrative, but cutting it out completely was an utterly draconian move.

That scene is still on the game, but it only shows up if you beat Pharsis the Everqueen on foot without activating overdrive.

Golnei

Man I want this game on VR. Make it happen hackers. I'll buy an Oculus and a new PC if I need to!

It'll happen eventually - Dolphin has had Oculus compatibility for a while, apparently Metroid Prime suits VR really well, aside from some culling issues which are only visible with the expanded FOV it demands. Wii U emulation seems to be progressing surprisingly quickly, but it's obviously a way off being able to run anything at a playable framerate, let alone in VR.

boxter432

This game has some of the most perplexing design decisions I have ever encountered.

- The hex map is absolute shit. It feels like the fast travel and map systems were developed by a team that has never played a western rpg. The map being locked to the Wii U tablet is also moronic.

- The story. Sweet Jesus, the story. There are some really interesting things about the story in XCX, but every time I start to get invested in the characters or what is happening, I am forced to go on a stupid fucking fetch quest. Many of these require that I have a drop/location guide pulled up so that I can figure out where the damn thing is. By the time I am ready to continue the storyline, I am pissed about the waste of time and have forgotten about the last story element that had me saying, Holy shit, that's awesome.

- And then there are the Skells. I love the Skells. I actually felt like I was playing a sequel to Xenogears for a moment while cruising across the desert, my team clad in their sweet tech. But Monolithsoft decided it was too wonderful and decided to pair the Skells with things like salvage costs/tickets when your Skell is defeated in battle. The prior costing nearly half as much as the incredibly expensive Skell. So again you have to worry about traversing the beautiful world map, fearful of encountering an aggressive monster bad ass because if you, heaven forbid, loose your Skell, it means hours of replenishing the cash you lost.

I am sure that some of these things are relived if you are over-leveled/in post game but what is the point? You have to slog for 100+ hours in poorly thought out systems before things fall into place?

Sorry - rant over. I am such a huge fan of the Xeno games, it upsets me when the team, by a hair, misses greatness. Their games are so different than your typical JRPG, its a shame that they don't get the polish that they often need.

I disagree with pretty much all of this.
exploring is what gets your blade levels up...so exploring...let's you explore more. sure it's a little annoying working to find a probe spot to see its level 4/5 when you are a 3, but there are 10 other things nearby you can do.
what's wrong with fast travel?
the only real map complaint I have is forgetting where other party members are and clicking hexes until you see the one they are at isn't ideal.
get the easy quick time B timing down and never worry about losing your skell. 2 misses and just give it to a party member as they never lose insurance. worse case, save before a tough battle. and yes, around the time you get flight, you shouldn't have to worry too much about cash if you did a lot of stuff in the game. right when I got my skells I could buy 3 30's to have a full crew, and once I hit 50 I got my 50 and shortly after could get a couple more.
game definitely has lot of small flaws (especially small font, party member switching, lack of explanation of many systems, etc...) but I don't agree with much of yours, sorry it's affecting your play!

Whizkid7

Did you do the quest where you have to
deliver pizza to Man-on? Those fuckers are really annoying. I can see why the wife lost it.

They ARE pretty obsessed, aren't they...But to be THAT demanding? Good lord.

I'm almost afraid to see what I'll get hit with next.

Top Bottom