• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Aeana

I'm playing the US version from disc this time because my HD is louder then the Wii's optical drive.

Barely notice the difference most of the time from when I played the PAL version.

If your Wii has problem reading dual layer games though I can sympathize.

Well, in the case of Xenoblade, you aren't actually experiencing load times super often anyway, so I suppose it's not a major draw for it in particular. I use a 16GB SDHC card through a USB card reader for games, though, so it's totally 100% silent for me.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
USB Loader is really the best way to deal with this situation. Nintendo is pretty much done updating the Wii at this point (hasn't been an update in a loong time now), and it's pretty much risk-free if you follow Clipper's instructions at the GAF wiki. Then you can play imported games no problem, and you can install games to any USB storage device or SDHC card and get the added benefit of very much decreased load times.

I'm probably gonna try that if the lens cleaner doesn't work.. can I install GC games knit aswell?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, in the case of Xenoblade, you aren't actually experiencing load times super often anyway, so I suppose it's not a major draw for it in particular. I use a 16GB SDHC card through a USB card reader for games, though, so it's totally 100% silent for me.

The only extra loads I've noticed so far were right after you select New Game and one time in the middle of Colony 9's commercial district during a day to night swap I opened the menu and it took about three seconds to load the equip screen.

I'm 6 hours in after playing for 86 hours on the European version. The game holds up pretty well on a replay and I'm picking up things I never even noticed the first time. The big emotional climax early on has a lot more weight to it once you've been through the whole journey as well. I'm trying to do more quests this time and it's so overwhelming. Damn you Colony 9 townspeople!

I think Colony 9 is the best part of the game in a way. There's just so much wonder and exploration during the beginning parts that isn't as well realized once the plot picks up and the game splits up more into individual areas. Colony 9 is kind of the only place that truly integrates a huge town with a large place to explore and it shows. It's so good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also having knowledge about where the quest characters spawn and how to manage the battle system makes the beginning part of the game a joy.

Yeah I never realized how tutorial-y the first few hours were because I was so taken in by the world. There's a tutorial screen popping up every five minutes when you're advancing the plot. I remember being inches away from being overwhelmed and then the game stopped introducing new mechanics. Thank god. :)

Antagon

Definitely. Anyway, on a replay myself. Just thought that the game was getting a bit too easy and then got my ass kicked by a boss
the Telethia in Maknar
. Practicing playing as Melia right now, it's a nice change. I do kinda miss the Monado powers though, they give you a lot of ways to influence the fight.

TDLink

Thanks! Are there any in particular you recommend focusing on?

edit: Is this making anyone else really want to go back and play FFXII? I loved it at the time, but I was entirely too busy to properly devote myself to it when it came out.

It depends how you want your characters to be really. I think the HP boosting skills from Reyn are good on pretty much everyone. Any agility boosting skill is also nice. Oh, and any skill that lets you heal more either via auto-attack, encouragement, or tension building is great just for bonus sustainability (And will later help you manage fine without needing a super dedicated healer). Some things are obviously useless for certain characters. Like you don't want to give Reyn a skill that boosts his Ether since he doesn't use that stat.

Dead

well not really...yet
Has anyone found out whether or not the US game will read a save file from the import UK game?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone found out whether or not the US game will read a save file from the import UK game?

It does not natively, though there is a utility to convert it to an NTSC save with an SD card. I think it was linked earlier in this thread.

Tunic

I'm 6 hours in after playing for 86 hours on the European version. The game holds up pretty well on a replay and I'm picking up things I never even noticed the first time. The big emotional climax early on has a lot more weight to it once you've been through the whole journey as well. I'm trying to do more quests this time and it's so overwhelming. Damn you Colony 9 townspeople!

I think Colony 9 is the best part of the game in a way. There's just so much wonder and exploration during the beginning parts that isn't as well realized once the plot picks up and the game splits up more into individual areas. Colony 9 is kind of the only place that truly integrates a huge town with a large place to explore and it shows. It's so good.

Though I never played the game before the NA release I agree with you 100%. Colony 9 is simply so much fun and it is amazing that is just one area of the game. I love exploring the surrounding area and doing the sidequests there. Regarding the opening of the game I was blown away and felt emotional as it was happening. I am definitely engaged in the story thus far, approaching 8 hours in now.

ZenaxPure

So here is a maybe dumb question. I am currently at
Makna Forest
and I want to go make some gems because I have like 5 pages of crystals sitting in my inventory. Is there anywhere else at this point in the game I can craft them or do I have to travel back to Colony 9?

If I have to travel is there any easy way to use the fast travel system or do I have to fast travel to the start of an area -> go through load screen -> fast travel to start of new area over and over again until I am back to town?

Makna Forest
and I want to go make some gems because I have like 5 pages of crystals sitting in my inventory. Is there anywhere else at this point in the game I can craft them or do I have to travel back to Colony 9?

If I have to travel is there any easy way to use the fast travel system or do I have to fast travel to the start of an area -> go through load screen -> fast travel to start of new area over and over again until I am back to town?

Mild spoilers
Do the first part of the Colony 6 reconstruction (level 1 for all) and you'll get a portable gem-crafter.

Netto-kun

This was posted in the GAF Wii Homebrew thread. It worked fine when I converted the Japanese save file and used it with my EU copy.

Makna Forest

You'll a portable gemcraft from doing the first set of Colony 6 quests.
As for fast traveling back to Colony 9; open up the menu, go to Area Map (leftmost part of the menu), select Colony 9 and voila.

Edit: Beaten.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Makna Forest

You can fast travel to any waypoint in any zone directly by accessing the map through the main menu, rather than by using the map button.

As for crafting, the short answer is that you have to go back to Colony 9 unless
you've received the portable gem crafter by completing the first stage of Colony 6's restoration.
. Based on where you are, this side quest line should be available to you if you haven't already begun it, but be forewarned, if you begin that quest line, your first set of missable timed quests will expire.

Busaiku

So is there a limit to the amount of inventory you can carry?
Since I've been doing quests for 10 hours, and only at Tephra Caves, I've got like hundreds of items that I rarely do anything with.

I'm trying to decide who to use this time 'round. My first time through was Shulk/Dunban/Sharla and it worked great but I want to mix it up. Mixing it up probably involves controlling Melia and having Shulk in the party for Monado stuff. Trying to figure out a third.. I want to use the 7th party member but am not sure how it will work. I might go with Reyn so I can survive a little easier. I hate how Sharla is the only true healer. Other characters make up for it in non-traditional ways but I never feel comfortable without good old fashioned cure all.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So is there a limit to the amount of inventory you can carry?
Since I've been doing quests for 10 hours, and only at Tephra Caves, I've got like hundreds of items that I rarely do anything with.

There is a limit, but you won't likely run into it until very late in the game.

I had the dual-layer reading issue a while ago (when TLS came out), I just used an old disc drive cleaning kit and it worked perfectly after that. I'd suggest trying that out before calling Nintendo.

I thought the other way around, I though I would spend some money to buy a cleaning kit ONLY if Nintendo wouldn't fix it for me. A new DVD drive, that will last for another 5 years, for free is the far superior option in my opinion.

ZenaxPure

Cool, thanks for the info. I was about the start the first
part of the Colony 6 restoration
after I finished a few more things. Mostly glad to know about the fast travel situation though, I had never bothered to actually use the map icon on the main menu since I can always open the current one with select.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So many people miss out on fast travel until they're half way through the game. Topic should be titled Xenoblade |OT| Yes, there is fast travel

Zornica

Banned
I'm trying to decide who to use this time 'round. My first time through was Shulk/Dunban/Sharla and it worked great but I want to mix it up. Mixing it up probably involves controlling Melia and having Shulk in the party for Monado stuff. Trying to figure out a third.. I want to use the 7th party member but am not sure how it will work. I might go with Reyn so I can survive a little easier. I hate how Sharla is the only true healer. Other characters make up for it in non-traditional ways but I never feel comfortable without good old fashioned cure all.

than you probably want to have
riki in your party, because he has the best healing spell and is actually usefull, not a waste of space like sharla

I've been surprised at how much slower the game loads via disc as opposed to USB. I don't think I saw much in terms of enemy/character pop-in when I was playing off USB but I see it now and it always confuses me. Plus the disc is so loud thanks to being dual-layered. The game doesn't load poorly or anything but it's kind of flawless on a drive and the difference is pretty striking.

KevinCow

Banned
What did you fight?

Some rabbits with clubs in their tails.

...I'm really wondering if this game has an easy mode, because I keep getting my ass kicked. I can't even understand what's happening on screen half the time, then I spend too much time messing with the bar at the bottom, and then everyone's dead.

KarmaCow

...I'm really wondering if this game has an easy mode, because I keep getting my ass kicked. I can't even understand what's happening on screen half the time, then I spend too much time messing with the bar at the bottom, and then everyone's dead.

Try doing a couple quests and exploring to get some easy exp if you're having trouble.

The game is really level dependent due to the hidden accuracy stat. You can get demolished by something, come back after gaining just one level and win with no problem.

Undubbed

When I discovered that armour changed, I realized that all is right in the world.

Also find the Affinity system very intriguing cause not only is it for party members, but apparently NPCs too!

Love that the characters are kind of talking to each other during battles and after battle as opposed to the typical idle banter.

Only about 2 hours in and I had my doubts but's it turning out to be great!

Yeah, you're doing something wrong. The first enemies in the game can be killed by just targeting them and pressing attack.

...Are you pressing r and choosing attack enemy?

I'm really enjoying the story/pace of the game so far, the characters are likable and have a good relationship with the rest of the group; they play off each other very well.

There's only one thing bugging me about the story so far.

When are they going to get the hint as to what the "metal faced" mechon are? I just killed Xord and it's frustrating to see these characters miss the obvious twist, that is unless the whole thing has just been a red herring and the truth is much more interesting.

All and all I'm happy I picked the game up, so far it's living up to the hype!

Probably after you fully clear Tephra Cave. More is being added throughout the game but the major mechanics are more or less on the table after that boss.

nan0

When are they going to get the hint as to what the "metal faced" mechon are? I just killed Xord and it's frustrating to see these characters miss the obvious twist, that is unless the whole thing has just been a red herring and the truth is much more interesting.

I don't know what you think they are but: (mild progress-related spoiler)
It gets revealed about halfway through the game. I certainly couldn't guess the reason.

wait so its better to play it with wii set on 4:3 even in 16:9 TV?
Either way you have 640x480 of pixels. The density is higher at 4:3 so I prefer it. But for games that are 16:9 only (like Xenoblade is) go 16:9 as then you are using 640x480 worth of pixels rather than 640x360.

Accidentally removed some armour from
Sharla. She's basically this game's Tifa. Does she ever wear anything apart from hotpants and cleavage tops?
I think she has
equip heavy armour on one her skill trees

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying the story/pace of the game so far, the characters are likable and have a good relationship with the rest of the group; they play off each other very well.

All and all I'm happy I picked the game up, so far it's living up to the hype!

The answer to this partly depends on how many side quests you do and when.
There is a set point in the plot where certain things get fully revealed, but some side quests do give you some insights into things earlier, if you're paying attention.

I think that was suitably vague enough.

The answer to this partly depends on how many side quests you do and when.

Wait, so are those the "go kill/get amount of Y" type quests or something more substantial?

I've been kinda picky on what quest I actually go after due to the "don't do everything" tip everyone seems to be giving, it'd be a shame if I've been missing backstory.

This is going to sound like a dumb question but did the music change when you were fighting said rabbit?
As far as I know, the music changes when you are fighting stronger enemies. That rabbit that you fought must have been one of the strong enemies you encounter in the game.

KevinCow

Banned
So I'm fighting a giant robot with a face and the game is asking me to do a chain attack to knock it over to damage it.

I did a chain attack and it didn't work because I apparently chose the wrong options, and now I can't do another chain attack.

What the fuck.

I did a chain attack and it didn't work because I apparently chose the wrong options, and now I can't do another chain attack.

What the fuck.
The party gauge (blue bar in top-right) is the charge gauge for chain attacks 9it can also be used for other things). When it fills up you can do it again (you'll probably end up losing the fight though). Assuming you're maining Shulk make sure this time you do
Stream Edge (pink) and then select Wild Down (one of the Red) with Ryen

edit:wha? KevinCow and KarmaCow...I thought something was a bit strange...

So I'm fighting a giant robot with a face and the game is asking me to do a chain attack to knock it over to damage it.

What the fuck.

Gotta get blue bars in left corner full to do chain.

Hazanko

Banned

What the fuck.

If I remember right, auto attack to fill bar. Use armour break move and a shield bash to topple. Something like that.

Sadist

What the fuck.
Ah, it's a bit confusing but here's the deal:

During a chain attack you need to inflict "Break" first. These attacks have a pink emblem and are required. If the enemy has a pink break mark next to it's name you need to use Reyn's Wild Down (green symbol) to knock it down.

If it fails, no worries. Attack the mechon from the back with break inflicting attacks to raise the bar for a new chain attack.

Top Bottom