• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

So I'm fighting a giant robot with a face and the game is asking me to do a chain attack to knock it over to damage it.

I did a chain attack and it didn't work because I apparently chose the wrong options, and now I can't do another chain attack.

What the fuck.

to do a chain attack you need to build 3 super meters shown at the top left hand corner, the blue bars. once you have the 3 meters select Chain by pushing up/down on the centre icon.

now the game wants you to try knocking over the robot in Chain mode, you do this by putting the robot into Break status (with Shulks Talent Art), then hitting with a Topple attack with Reyn. it will say in the Art description on the bottom if it inflicts Break or Topple, take your time, the enemy won't attack until your Chain is done.

conman

The game probably could've explained some of that better.

And by some of that, I mean, like, any of that.
Not sure about you, but I just finished the section right at the beginning (just before entering the first dungeon) where it explains most of that in detail. It should also be outlined in your in-game help manual.

the tutorial is very helpful, it has pictures pointing out where these status icons are shown. do take a look at it, it also provides general tips on how to play each character. each section is quite brief, so you won't be reading and FFT style novels on how to play.

So I'm fighting a giant robot with a face and the game is asking me to do a chain attack to knock it over to damage it.

I did a chain attack and it didn't work because I apparently chose the wrong options, and now I can't do another chain attack.

What the fuck.

pink attack ==> green attack => kick shit out of them

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And I just died for the third time on the spider boss at the very start of the game. Too bad warning your companions doesn't do something like warn them that they're about to die or anything.

TDLink

It does, pretty clearly. Before Dunban shows up there is a fight against mechon with only Reyn and Shulk that you literally can't get past unless you break and then topple them, thus demonstrating the mechanic.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
And I just died for the third time on the spider boss at the very start of the game. Too bad warning your companions doesn't do something like warn them that they're about to die or anything.
I had a problem with him too but use the
monado shield art against him when you see into the future... also try to topple the spider

Rebel Leader

How can I topple as Shen, because I've all but given up trying to get party members to attack what I'm attacking.
Just keep useing an art that causes break.. Ryan will most likely use an art that'll topple the spider.

If you are useong CCpro.. hold ZR and press up on d-pad...this causes all Party members to attack the enemy you are attacking

No. You probably could've done a better job of actually reading the text/paying attention to the dialogue when they were very clearly explaining it, like everyone else who played the game.

Zekes!

I tried out the CCPro the other day, and I don't understand how people can claim it's the best way to play the game. Being able to easily select arts while moving with the Wiimote is just better imo and holding C to move the camera is hardly an issue

raven777

What the fuck.

It actually to me over 30 minutes for that battle, because I messed up the chain attack a lot. I don't think you have to do it by chain attack only (although I assume it improves the success rate)

Just when you get the chain attack, do pink attack(break) with Shulk, and green attack(topple) with Reyn.

Shaffield

It actually to me over 30 minutes for that battle, because I messed up the chain attack a lot. I don't think you have to do it by chain attack only (although I assume it improves the success rate)

Just when you get the chain attack, do pink attack(break) with Shulk, and green attack(topple) with Reyn.
Yeah, the main reason to use the Chain attack to topple it is that a lot of bosses and larger enemies seem to be more resistant to Break, and using the art during the Chain attack makes it much more likely to inflict the status effect.

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of leveling Shulk's Air Slash? I like the idea of inflicting Slow as crowd control, but I don't think its really working how I want it to yet. Will it be worth it to put some more levels into it?

KevinCow

Banned
It does, pretty clearly. Before Dunban shows up there is a fight against mechon with only Reyn and Shulk that you literally can't get past unless you break and then topple them, thus demonstrating the mechanic.

I got past that because it literally said, "Use Attack 1 with Shulk, then use Attack 2 with the other guy."

Then when I got to that boss, Shulk no longer had Attack 1.

And even if he had, the other guy died before I figured out how to do a chain attack, because the game did a poor job at explaining that, too.

When I finally did figure out how to do a chain attack, I had no idea which of Shulk's or Dunban's attacks to use. And since I was in the middle of battle, I couldn't check any of the help stuff. And then I had no more juice, because they didn't explain that bar, either. And then I literally set my controller down for ten minutes and couldn't die, because Dunban was dodging all the attacks directed at him and revived me when the boss decided to attack me.

No. You probably could've done a better job of actually reading the text/paying attention to the dialogue when they were very clearly explaining it, like everyone else who played the game.

Nope. If the player can't figure something out, the designer could've done his job better.

You know how Portal rarely ever forced blatant tutorial messages on the player, yet players were still able to learn and understand the complex space-bending mechanics through experience? That's because Portal is a remarkably well-designed game with a remarkably well-designed tutorial.

This game does not have a well-designed tutorial. It just kinda throws messages at the player and says, "Okay, I hope you got all that!" I'm sure a lot of the things I've had trouble with were explained through those, but trying to teach me the intricacies of the combat system when I barely understand the basics is like trying to teach someone how to manually shift gears when they're still trying to figure out how to open the car's door.

It probably doesn't help that I've never cared for RPGs, JRPGs specifically, so most of these mechanics are completely foreign to me.

Leezard

I had quite a bit of trouble with the Break -> Topple mechanic at the beginning as well. The fight against Metal Face became quite long and tedious because of that. I got through it at least, and then I had plenty of time to learn to topple and break in my own pace. The game is great, but I must agree with KevinCow that it would have been good to be able to learn the break/topple "better" before having to endure a boss fight with it.

TDLink

I got past that because it literally said, "Use Attack 1 with Shulk, then use Attack 2 with the other guy."

And even if he had, the other guy died before I figured out how to do a chain attack, because the game did a poor job at explaining that, too.

When I finally did figure out how to do a chain attack, I had no idea which of Shulk's or Dunban's attacks to use. And since I was in the middle of battle, I couldn't check any of the help stuff. And then I had no more juice, because they didn't explain that bar, either. And then I literally set my controller down for ten minutes and couldn't die, because Dunban was dodging all the attacks directed at him and revived me when the boss decided to attack me.

Nope. If the player can't figure something out, the designer could've done his job better.

You know how Portal rarely ever forced blatant tutorial messages on the player, yet players were still able to learn and understand the complex space-bending mechanics through experience? That's because Portal is a remarkably well-designed game with a remarkably well-designed tutorial.

This game does not have a well-designed tutorial. It just kinda throws messages at the player and says, "Okay, I hope you got all that!" I'm sure a lot of the things I've had trouble with were explained through those, but trying to teach me the intricacies of the combat system when I barely understand the basics is like trying to teach someone how to manually shift gears when they're still trying to figure out how to open the car's door.

It probably doesn't help that I've never cared for RPGs, JRPGs specifically, so most of these mechanics are completely foreign to me.

This is 100% your fault and not the game's. While I agree that many of the tutorials are simply screens that pop up and if you miss them you are at a loss until you just happen to figure it out, the Break > Topple mechanic is not one of them. That fight that you are forced to use Break > Topple on is meant to teach that mechanic. It does not just say use Shulk's Talent art, it says use it because it Breaks the opponent. If you took 5 seconds to read you would have seen not only that but also that he has another ability, Stream Edge, that also causes "Break". I don't know how the game can tell you more clearly that concept. The only way you couldn't figure out that Shulk has another move that also Breaks is if you simply didn't look at his moves. Even in battle the arts all still have a description when you highlight them, meaning you -do not- have to go into a menu to see them. Moreover, when you execute a chain attack the battle freezes and becomes turn-based temporarily, allowing you to take as much time as you want to look at the moves and see what they do if in-battle it is normally hectic. None of this even has to do with "RPG/JRPG Mechanics" it is just plain old reading comprehension. The game tells you the enemy needs to be toppled and in order for that to happen they first need to be broken. You have multiple moves between the 3 characters you are using at the time that can do these two things. It isn't hard to figure out, you just didn't. That isn't the game's fault as I don't see how it could have held your hand on that concept any more than it did.

I had quite a bit of trouble with the Break -> Topple mechanic at the beginning as well. The fight against Metal Face became quite long and tedious because of that. I got through it at least, and then I had plenty of time to learn to topple and break in my own pace. The game is great, but I must agree with KevinCow that it would have been good to be able to learn the break/topple "better" before having to endure a boss fight with it.

Those mechanics are available to you from the start of the game. You can start experimenting with it immediately, "at your own pace", even before the game explains it in depth to you. There is also the fight with non-boss enemies that you are mandated to complete by using Break > Topple before you even get to the boss in question.

Zekes!

Man ya'll need to chill the fuck out. Just enjoy the rest of the game. The battle system took me a bit to figure out too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Starting a new game, rather than a + game from my playthrough last year. It is much easier now that I know how the battle system works, all the customization and options in the menu (ie; skill trees, crafting gems, affinity, break/topple), because the game throws so much at you in the beginning I can see people being overwhelmed.

Of course, I can also see people that probably skip through all the tutorial screens and end up screwing themselves by not knowing what to do. See above.

My point was that you were the only one who had an issue. Don't blame the designers for your own failure to understand a gameplay concept that they had gone over at least several times by that point. The failure was on your part, not the designers.

If by "complex space-bending mechanics" you mean one simple and intuitive mechanic, then sure, whatever you say...

Aaand here's my point. You were actually supposed to read those. And considering they keep them available to review at pretty much any point in the game, it's hardly anything like "Okay, hope you got all that!". Again, don't blame the developers for your own shitty attention span/steadfast refusal to absorb information.

mrpeabody

I am glad they didn't spend any more time explaining Break and Topple, because I got it right away and being spoon-fed tutorials is agonizing.

raven777

My point was that you were the only one who had an issue. Don't blame the designers for your own failure to understand a gameplay concept that they had gone over at least several times by that point. The failure was on your part, not the designers.

I actually had the same problem he had. They tried hard to explain a lot of mechanics, but there are way too much info sometimes, so I felt it was overwhelming. But I would say there was problem with my end for not reading the directions/tutorial thoroughly.

Leezard

Those mechanics are available to you from the start of the game. You can start experimenting with it immediately, "at your own pace", even before the game explains it in depth to you. There is also the fight with non-boss enemies that you are mandated to complete by using Break > Topple before you even get to the boss in question.

Yeah, I just didn't know the topple mechanic before I got introduced to it.
I knew what to do, I just wasn't used to the battle system enough to be able to use it at will. I got one on metal face easily by using the chain attack, but it was tough getting another one on him. I guess Reyn had his skill on cooldown when I used my break skills, but w/e. I got through the game just fine, but I remember toppling metal face the first time was tough.

I picked up Topple on my walk to Colony 9. There's an attack that inflicts Break and then Reyn does Topple which has a huge icon over the enemy along with said enemy laying on the ground getting his ass kicked. That seems pretty clearly to be the way to go from the first battle if you are paying any attention.

To take that one step further and assume that it would work on mechon enemies is a whole different discussion, but the game explains it to you no less than 2 or 3 times before you hit Metal Face. At that point it's just neglecting the text (which I could maybe excuse given how much of it there is, but if you're skipping core mechanics then you're probably not enjoying the game much in the first place.)

Feep

Banned

Completely agree. It was one of the biggest complaints in my review...which still isn't up yet? Ugh. Come on, editors.

Hazanko

Banned
Can't believe people had trouble with that fight lol. It does take a little while to get used to the way combat works but I figured out that topple stuff quite easy.

Cloudy

Banned
I tried out the CCPro the other day, and I don't understand how people can claim it's the best way to play the game. Being able to easily select arts while moving with the Wiimote is just better imo and holding C to move the camera is hardly an issue

I bet a lot of people playing this game are new to the wii and HATE the wiimote :p

TDLink

Can I install if even though I get "unable to read disc"? (after a few resets of the wii, I can play)

Yes. Installing to a USB drive means the game is being ripped to that from the disc entirely. Since it will then be loading from the USB instead of from the disc you should never have an issue afterwards.

duncandun

Neo Member
Two questions:

Is there a Japanese dub?

And, I realize no one may know the answer to this but: I plan on playing this on Dolphin. My copy was on backorder (from nintendo's store) last I checked but I don't have a Wii anyway, so I was basically wondering; If the japanese dub is available is it available on the Euro release as well as the American release? I ask because If so I'll just wait till it gets here and rip it from the source.

TDLink

Two questions:

Can I use the japanese dub?

And, I realize no one may know the answer to this but: I plan on playing this on Dolphin. My copy was on backorder (from nintendo's store) last I checked but I don't have a Wii anyway, so I was basically wondering, If the japanese dub is available is it available on the Euro release as well as the American release? I ask because If so I'll just wait till it gets here and rip it from the source.

The Japanese dub is available on all 3 versions of the game (JP, EU, and NA). The English dub is available on both the EU and NA versions.

Remember folks: you can access any of the visual tutorials at any point from the menu. Some don't pop up during the game, so when you get the notification that there's a new tutorial to read, open that menu and see what's new.

Reading the in-game tutorials solves a lot of the basic questions about game mechanics.

Rebel Leader

Yes. Installing to a USB drive means the game is being ripped to that from the disc entirely. Since it will then be loading from the USB instead of from the disc you should never have an issue afterwards.

Gwht Confuses me....Ha
no I do not intend to mod my wii yet but plan to if the wii lens cleaner doesn't work

duncandun

Neo Member
The Japanese dub is available on all 3 versions of the game (JP, EU, and NA). The English dub is available on both the EU and NA versions.

Thanks! I was just messing around with it in dolphin and didn't see an option to change the voice acting so was curious, guess I just missed the option.

Attempted to play with my keyboard/mouse and got stuck in a corner at the beginning fight, guess I really need thumbsticks to play! Going to have to get a PC adapter for my xbox controller or a wired controller i guess...

I had a problem with this as well. I understood the Break/Topple mechanic, but I had no idea how to initiate a Chain Attack. I also sat there for like 15 minutes unable to die because Dunban kept coming over and reviving me when I became incapacitated. I eventually had to just ask GAF how to start the Chain Attack.

The combat in this game is exceptional and once you get the mechanics under your belt it's a ton of fun, but there's no denying that the tutorial is absolutely terrible. Throwing a wall of text at players is the exact opposite of a well-designed tutorial. I was enamored with the world so I kept going, but a whole lot of the beginning of the game felt like "work." Reading a bunch of shit trying to figure out what was going on. A more natural tutorial would have been a lot better, even if that meant delaying the introduction of some mechanics for a few more hours.

Still an incredible game though.

Edgeward

I had a problem with this as well. I understood the Break/Topple mechanic, but I had no idea how to initiate a Chain Attack. I also sat there for like 15 minutes unable to die because Dunban kept coming over and reviving me when I became incapacitated. I eventually had to just ask GAF how to start the Chain Attack.

The combat in this game is exceptional and once you get the mechanics under your belt it's a ton of fun, but there's no denying that the tutorial is absolutely terrible. Throwing a wall of text at players is the exact opposite of a well-designed tutorial. I was enamored with the world so I kept going, but a whole lot of the beginning of the game felt like "work." Reading a bunch of shit trying to figure out what was going on. A more natural tutorial would have been a lot better, even if that meant delaying the introduction of some mechanics for a few more hours.

Still an incredible game though.

I'm quite the opposite as I'd rather be allowed to figure things out instead of having my experience or fights metered. Even if it means running into frustrating situations. Being able to discover and progress my knowledge of the systems at my pace instead of the game's is much more preferred.

That particular fight would've been better if they just gave you unlimited bar for that fight so you can keep trying even if you fail so you can figure it out or if you just can't get the QTE down. Since it's basically a tutorial seeing as how Dunban couldn't die even if you or he wanted to.

L00P

Yeah, I died on the Metal Face fight, too. I think the tutorial does a pretty good job at explaining stuff, but throwing it at your face all at once is kinda overwhelming since you haven't tried it yet.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright. Fuck this. I think I'm done. I don't know what I'm failing to understand about this game, but I'm dying in pretty much every other fight, so there's clearly something I just straight up don't understand about the combat system. My auto attacks barely do any damage, my special attacks do only slightly more and take forever to recharge. Enemies at the same level as my guys do like half my health in a couple attacks. It's apparently impossible to dodge attacks, so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing as far as defense goes. And then I just get gang-raped by eighty fucking spiders attacking me from every side, and I can barely understand which one I'm targeting or which ones are attacking me, and there are random numbers and bars and symbols everywhere on the screen that I don't understand, and then suddenly I'm dead.

Did I just not grind enough? Is that it? Was I supposed to spend twenty hours in the opening field killing defenseless butterflies or something?

It's just a fucking shame that there's not an easy mode or something. There is a game in here that I would like to enjoy, and I probably would if it could just ease me in a bit slower. But I'm still trying to understand what buttons to press to be even somewhat competent in combat against one enemy, and it's suddenly throwing a dozen at me and expecting me to know some of the deeper complexities of the combat system, and it's throwing some whole new system at me every third battle before I even really understand the last four systems it introduced, and there's next to zero room for error in learning and understanding these new mechanics because the punishment for not immediately understanding it is death.

Aeana

Alright. Fuck this. I think I'm done. I don't know what I'm failing to understand about this game, but I'm dying in pretty much every other fight, so there's clearly something I just straight up don't understand about the combat system. My auto attacks barely do any damage, my special attacks do only slightly more and take forever to recharge. Enemies at the same level as my guys do like half my health in a couple attacks. It's apparently impossible to dodge attacks, so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing as far as defense goes. And then I just get gang-raped by eighty fucking spiders attacking me from every side, and I can barely understand which one I'm targeting or which ones are attacking me, and there are random numbers and bars and symbols everywhere on the screen that I don't understand, and then suddenly I'm dead.

Did I just not grind enough? Is that it? Was I supposed to spend twenty hours in the opening field killing defenseless butterflies or something?

It's just a fucking shame that there's not an easy mode or something. There is a game in here that I would like to enjoy, and I probably would if it could just ease me in a bit slower. But I'm still trying to understand what buttons to press to be even somewhat competent in combat against one enemy, and it's suddenly throwing a dozen at me and expecting me to know some of the deeper complexities of the combat system, and it's throwing some whole new system at me every third battle before I even really understand the last four systems it introduced, and there's next to zero room for error in learning and understanding these new mechanics because the punishment for not immediately understanding it is death.

Um... well, you weren't supposed to grind, certainly not. Are you making use of the positional bonuses from your abilities? Like bonus damage from back slash when used from behind an enemy, and the defense debuff when you use slit edge from the side? And you can also make your party members focus on a specific target with ZR+up on the dpad, which is good to do as much as possible. Also, are you upgrading your abilities via the arts screen?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised people are having trouble with the tutorials and breaking/toppling. I mean, the game pops up multiple tutorials for that at different points. I know the first battle with Shulk and Reyn brings up, and the first battle against Mechon mentions it as well.

Never had any trouble with any of the combat mechanics, and I thought the vast majority of the tutorials were perfectly acceptable. Remember that there are often more tutorials available than just the ones that pop up. Often tutorial 1 will pop up that will explain the basic mechanic, and tutorial 2, 3, etc that offers more detail will open up in the tutorial section.

Edit: Easy mode? The beginning of the game is "easy mode." I don't really see how you can die in the early fights as long as you're sticking to enemies around your level and not fighting Unique monsters.

If you're at the spider, that's another boss battle intended to teach you a game mechanic. You'll need to use everything you've learned (or apparently failed to learn) while adding in the new Monado art into the mix.

johnsmith

remember me
So there's no crafting besides gems, is that right? Seems like such a waste to give you so much loot just so you can sell it.

Have you read the extra tutorials available in the menu? There are some tutorials that never show up "naturally," you simply have to read them from the menu. If you haven't played many RPG's I can see how you might get confused, but it's really not that difficult. Let your tank (Reyn) hold aggro and heal him when he needs. Make sure you're positioned behind enemies for backstab, and to the side for the other attack that lowers their physical defense.

This isn't a game that lets you sit back and coast, you have to be on your shit to win. That's actually what I like most about it. Most JRPG's let you simply press one button over and over again to get through a battle. This game makes you play.

Top Bottom