• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

I just don't understand why we don't have multi boot systems, yet.

11x0124niun34htc.jpg

Best. Phone. Ever.

So the white ZL finally went on sale at Amazon.de and my black one still hasn't dispatched for some reason. Cancelled my order and got a white one instead! Should be here in a week. :D

Akira

So the white ZL finally went on sale at Amazon.de and my black one still hasn't dispatched for some reason. Cancelled my order and got a white one instead! Should be here in a week. :D

Pics when you get it! The white ZL is one of the prettiest phones out there, but oddly haven't seen any real-life pics from owners besides those from CES hands-on.

Erebus

So my brother bought an Xperia Z today. Can't say the display viewing angles are that bad compared to other phones.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to read the whole thread so any app suggestions or tips to preserve battery life would be appreciated.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What's this? Xperia A hits the FCC:

sony-xperia-a-fcc.jpg

Many have suspected that Sony wasn't done with its 2013 high-end phones just because the Xperia Z and ZL were shipping. As of today, that's more than just speculation: a once-rumored Xperia A has swung through the FCC for approval as NTT DoCoMo's SO-04E. The filing is unusually detailed for a device that isn't official, showing a 5-inch, 1080p handset that maintains Sony's OmniBalance look while including a removable, 2,300mAh battery that we haven't seen in the Z or ZL. The manual also has the Android phone sharing the Z's 13-megapixel camera, 16GB of built-in storage and LTE, although mum's the word on any upgrade to the Snapdragon S4 Pro. Sony hasn't confirmed what we're seeing, but we may not have long to learn the full story when NTT DoCoMo is revealing its summer mobile lineup on May 15th.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/08/sony-xperia-a-passes-through-the-fcc/

Chinner

Banned
this guy claims that the next patch will still be android 4.1.2, but will contain quite a few changes
Next patch version for the Z is still 4.1.2 but has some optimizations, let me name a few:

- Soft keys + notification bar background changed, it is now black and looks a lot better.
- There is an option to adjust the white balance of the screen
- There is an options to enable/disable the notification light
- Stamina seems to work much better, better standby time plus LED notification works with stamina on. Also noticed that apps in stamina exception list work much better now.
- WiFi reception is MUCH better.
- Camera opens faster than before, still a bit slow for my taste but it is a step to the right direction.
- The device is faster in general. Have tested this with another not updated device and it is in the scale of ms but still it is faster and more responsive.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2253386

sammich

Holy crap am i getting screwed around by rogers for a replacement for my ZL.

First they offered me a Samsung ACE for my friggin phone.
I essentially told them to F off.. in a nice way of course.
They then offered me a comparable Galaxy S3 or Iphone 5(According to price of the phone apparently which is BS)
Nope, not good enough.
I told them i want either a New ZL(which they are out of stock supposedly) or HTC one or S4. Im not going backwards to the other phones. If i have to pay a little extra fine, but my first choice is the ZL i told them.
Was escalated to a manager. Its been over a day. I come in early every morning to talk to rogers since this is my only phone(Home, etc) and unless im yelling into the bloody thing no one can hear me.
Im not even sure why this stupid company doesnt direct you to a store instead of selling you the phone directly if its such a hassle to get a replacement. I guess thats my fault. My first real hardware issue with a phone. I think it would have been easier to just buy the phone outright from the Sony store and if anything went wrong i still have my iphone 4 to fall back on.
UGH.

Chinner

Banned
just detoured over to apex launcher but the some reason I can no longer use Sony widgets like the walkman which was nice

Futureman

my friend is deciding between the GS IV and HTC One.... and then I remembered about the Sony phone so I went to AT&T's website.

is this seriously not even out in the US yet?

Averon

Sony's earnings call ended and it's clear they will sit out of the US smartphone market for at least another year. Which means the One Sony phone will not have wide carrier support if a carrier even bother to pick it up. I really don't understand this. I get that they want to strengthen the Xperia brand abroad, but it makes no sense to give Samsung and HTC free reign in the NA market.

Imagine if the Z was available on most or all carriers in February and March, when the S4 and One was nowhere to be seen. I believe it would've sold very, very well during that time.

Mario007

Sony's earnings call ended and it's clear they will sit out of the US smartphone market for at least another year. Which means the One Sony phone will not have wide carrier support if a carrier even bother to pick it up. I really don't understand this. I get that they want to strengthen the Xperia brand abroad, but it makes no sense to give Samsung and HTC free reign in the NA market.

Imagine if the Z was available on most or all carriers in February and March, when the S4 and One was nowhere to be seen. I believe it would've sold very, very well during that time.
I think the problem here is the carriers. Sony would probably have to bend over backwards for them, like Samsung did back in the S2 days when they had to make different varients of their phone for each carrier and call it differently. I guess Sony doesn't want to do that.

Averon

I think the problem here is the carriers. Sony would probably have to bend over backwards for them, like Samsung did back in the S2 days when they had to make different varients of their phone for each carrier and call it differently. I guess Sony doesn't want to do that.

Then maybe Sony should suck it up and bend to the carriers. If your aim is to be the 3rd largest smartphone OEM, as Sony recently announced that is their aim, it makes no business sense to willingly be MIA in one of the largest and most prominent smartphone markets.

If the Z had been out on all or most carriers in Feb and Mar, the gain in mind share alone would've been huge. If HTC, as badly as they are performing, can build such great mind share for the One, then there is no excuse why Sony can't do the same.

Mario007

Then maybe Sony should suck it up and bend to the carriers. If your aim is to be the 3rd largest smartphone OEM, as Sony recently announced that is their aim, it makes no business sense to willingly be MIA in one of the largest and most prominent smartphone markets.

If the Z had been out on all or most carriers in Feb and Mar, the gain in mind share alone would've been huge. If HTC, as badly as they are performing, can build such great mind share for the One, then there is no excuse why Sony can't do the same.
True, I think it's more of an issue of pride. Also the recent earnings call it was mentioned that they were still building supply chain in the past year and there were reports of shortages of XZ already so I guess it might have also been a case of Sony deciding not to show up in the US so they'd be able to supply elsewhere.

Though I think if the rumors of the Xperia i1 are true than they are really making a huge mistake of not launching in the US since they are launching new subrand and it seems the phone is going to be absolutely above the competition in terms of the hardware at least.

sfedai0

Banned
So how big of a difference is 720P and 1080P on these screens? Im torn between the SP and its smaller form factor and the Z/ZL.

davidnic

If you need to force start your sony press the power button and the volume up for a few seconds. I had to do this today cause it wasn't coming up the option to shut down.

Kadux

Neo Member
Is it possible to upgrade the FW to 4.2 (when it's finally out...) after unlocking the bootloader and rooting your phone? The other day I connected it to my laptop and a new update was available (with the same exact number as the current version I had) so I said yes, but an error popped up saying my FW wasn't the factory one anymore and thus, unable to upgrade.

Melchiah

I just updated my Xperia P to Jelly Bean, and there's a major problem regarding writing and editing text with it. The added magnifying glass makes it a painfully slow process, as it doesn't allow writing as long as it's visible, and when I paint a part of the text, it doesn't allow me to erase the chosen text. Is there any way to switch the magnifying glass off, and change it to how it was?

Otherwise I'm really satisfied with the update. The phone feels like new now. It's much faster, and the battery saving additions seem to work as well. What I'm not satisfied with, is that there was no notification of the update being available two weeks ago. I only learned about it, when I googled it.

Fezan

I just updated my Xperia P to Jelly Bean, and there's a major problem regarding writing and editing text with it. The added magnifying glass makes it a painfully slow process, as it doesn't allow writing as long as it's visible, and when I paint a part of the text, it doesn't allow me to erase the chosen text. Is there any way to switch the magnifying glass off, and change it to how it was?

Otherwise I'm really satisfied with the update. The phone feels like new now. It's much faster, and the battery saving additions seem to work as well. What I'm not satisfied with, is that there was no notification of the update being available two weeks ago. I only learned about it, when I googled it.

I have P and its showing no new updates. so did you flash tool your phone or udpated via pc companion ?

Fezan

i use it on the Z myself...not sure about other xperia but i think it will work in most cases. guess you should just try it out :)

working smoothly on xperia p .it feels more smooth than default launcher.but only very few widgets are available don't know why ?
and still no jb update for my phone

working smoothly on xperia p .it feels more smooth than default launcher.but only very few widgets are available don't know why ?

Most of the widgets have to be downloaded separately. There are apk files in the OP of the XDA thread.

Fezan

Most of the widgets have to be downloaded separately. There are apk files in the OP of the XDA thread.

that's what you get for not reading. Lesson learned next time i will read at least the op.
thank you got all widgets working now
What is infinite scrolling and locking home screen ?

that's what you get for not reading. Lesson learned next time i will read at least the op.
thank you got all widgets working now
What is infinite scrolling and locking home screen ?

Infinite scrolling: On the stock Xperia launcher, when you're at the first homescreen tab or last homescreen tab, when you try to swype further it will block because you can't go further. Infinite scrolling allows you jump to the first screen when you swype the last screen etc. etc.

Lock home screen: Background won't scroll along and will be fixed. Best way to find this stuff out is to try it out. It's what makes Android fun.

Melchiah

The Jelly Bean update is available for Xperia P.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-p/
The latest Android software version from Sony including Jelly Bean, is now available for your Xperia™ smartphone.

Connect the device to your computer using a USB cable. Download and install the new software using one of our computer applications.

tha_devil

Infinite scrolling: On the stock Xperia launcher, when you're at the first homescreen tab or last homescreen tab, when you try to swype further it will block because you can't go further. Infinite scrolling allows you jump to the first screen when you swype the last screen etc. etc.

Lock home screen: Background won't scroll along and will be fixed. Best way to find this stuff out is to try it out. It's what makes Android fun.

I believe lock homescreen is that you cant move around icons, resize stuff etc. untill you again unlock it IIRC.

Detox

How do I update my old Xperia Arc to 4.1? I connected it to the update program on PC and it says it's up to date but it's on 2.3.4 and the model is LT15i, the phone was previously on Talkmobile contract and is now on Vodafone pay as you go.

Kambing

I really want to get this phone. Everything about it just oozes quality lol. Problem is i am on the sprint network here in the states, which is CDMA. Basically, if i want to use a sony phone, i'm looking at waiting till sometime in 2014 right? If anyone has any idea it would be of great help. Because if there will be no sony phone on sprints network at the end of this year, i will just end up buying a GS4 or HTC one.

It's like sony does not want my money =(

Blackhead

Redarse
I really want to get this phone. Everything about it just oozes quality lol. Problem is i am on the sprint network here in the states, which is CDMA. Basically, if i want to use a sony phone, i'm looking at waiting till sometime in 2014 right? If anyone has any idea it would be of great help. Because if there will be no sony phone on sprints network at the end of this year, i will just end up buying a GS4 or HTC one.

It's like sony does not want my money =(
Sony would love to be on Sprint and Verizon but those carriers have an ironclad control on the phones available for their networks. Sprint sold their soul to Apple for a chance to carry the iPhone and now have a lot of those devices they have sell, leaving little room in their portfolio for OEMs like Sony and Nokia that don't have a big brand in USA. Blame Sprint and complain to customer service if you care that much about a broad choice of phones (or consider switching to a GSM based carrier)

Top Bottom