• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo Top 40 movies of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with 2014 almost over and with Annie being a horrible flop and The Interview being a second "Last Temptation of the Christ" Yahoo has decided to put a list of the best 40 movies of this year, it was mostly safe bets including the number 1, but it was nice to find so many great movies here, IMO Guardians of the Galaxy deserves to be in the top 10

40. Foxcatcher
39. The Fault in Our Stars
38. The Theory of Everything
37. Jodorowsky’s Dune
36. Begin Again
35. Interstellar
34. Life Itself
33. Edge of Tomorrow (aka Live. Die. Repeat.)
32. Blue Ruin
31. Big Hero 6
30. Wild
29. We Are the Best!
28. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
27. Inherent Vice
26. The Guest
25. X-Men: Days of Future Past
24. Under the Skin
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
22. Only Lovers Left Alive
21. The Skeleton Twins
20. Beyond the Lights
19. Guardians of the Galaxy
18. Obvious Child
17. Top Five
16. Coherence
15. The Imitation Game
14. The Grand Budapest Hotel
13. Mr. Turner
12. Selma
11. A Most Violent Year
10. Dear White People
9. Force Majeure
8. Snowpiercer
7. Gone Girl
6. The Overnighters
5. The Lego Movie
4. Birdman
3. Nightcrawler
2. Whiplash
1. Boyhood
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-40-best-movies-of-2014-105487971172.html

Boyhood, Gone Girl, Under the Skin and Interstellar make this a pretty good year for films. Out of those, Interstellar will be the most remembered and talked about, Boyhood the Oscar winner, and Under the Skin the cult favourite.

Heard very good things about Birdman and Whiplash but not seen them yet.

ItIsOkBro

i still can't decide if nightcrawler was that good of a movie. jake gyllenhaal's acting was amazing, probably my favourite performance of the year, but the movie itself, idk.

injurai

Banned
DofP beats Interstellar by 10 whole positions...

DofP might be the largest steaming pile of trash I've seen come out this year.

Paskil

I was extremely disappointed in Snowpiercer. I think GotG is ranked far too low, although it definitely deserves top Marvel slot. Also, The Interview should get top spot just for pissing off Best Korea so much. No mention of The Rover, either...

Grand Budapest is faaaaaar too low.

Yahoo! gonna Yahoo!

i still can't decide if nightcrawler was that good of a movie. jake gyllenhaal's acting was amazing, probably my favourite performance of the year, but the movie itself, idk.

It's easier to appreciate when you realise it's allegory on capitalism. And pretty on the nose about it too, practically every scene has references to the economy and its driving factors.

Snow Piercer in the top 10? What? Above Big Hero 6? Movie is no where near as good as Interstellar and coming from me that is saying something. I'm glad Gone Girl is slightly better than it... Wtf!?!

I'm also surprised I've seen so many movies this year.

I've seen 10 of the movies on this list. I'd put John Wick up here.

Dawg

Whiplash and Foxcatcher are movies I really need to see.

Really like drama movies about music & sports.

Really need to watch Boyhood. :O Gone Girl is my favourite movie of the year so far, happy it's up there.

edit: wait whoa. Lego Movie is REALLY high.

#1 is correct, but Snowpiercer in the top 10??

Also, a movie I enjoyed that is not on that list is Locke. Should be up there.

Have you seen Snow Piercer? It's a fantastical adventure about a man who engineered a train to go around the world, not to save anyone, but because he's a megalomaniac. It's freaking awesome. But yea... it's probably a stretch to say top 10.

31. Big Hero 6
8. Snowpiercer
5. The Lego Movie

These are the only ones I saw and I thought GOTG was better than all of them.

DarkFlow

Banned
Boyhood is not a good movie. If you took away the "I filmed it over 10 years" bullshit, all you would be left with is... nothing very good.

Akiraptor

I don't understand the praise behind Mr. Turner. If I had to make a list of the top five worst films I have ever seen, it would definitely be up there. It had no plot at all, the pacing was dreadful, and we didn't even get to see much of why Turner was noteworthy artist of his age.

Snowpiercer? Really? Is it one of those movies that people like ironically? It was pretty terrible, and the ending is insulting.

Mr.Swag

Banned
31. Big Hero 6
8. Snowpiercer
5. The Lego Movie

These are the only ones I saw and I thought GOTG was better than all of them.
There are four movies better than GOTG in your quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom