• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

People wanting to preorder to get the bonus and cancel the preorder may be part of the reason why Sony doesn't cancel preorders.

They do make exceptions. I was able to cancel my Witcher 3 preorder.

PS: The theme is very nice. The card holder is also nice but considering it's a 100+ hour game I prefer to have the digital version. I'm too lazy to get up and swap disks.
I think I'm coming to the point of realization that I just have smaller games downloaded. Journey, Minecraft, Rocket League, etc..although that last one I got free

so I might get Thrones as digital too, but this game is definitely going in the collection

9NHJtuGha.gif

And yeah, Y0 was great on both PS3 and especially PS4. (60fps baby!)

Ha, can't wait. The side content looks like it'll scratch my Shenmue itch.

I've never preordered off Amazon. Am I good for a release date delivery with 1-day shipping? I've heard some "horror" stories of people receiving their copies days, even weeks later from Amazon.

I've never preordered off Amazon. Am I good for a release date delivery with 1-day shipping? I've heard some "horror" stories of people receiving their copies days, even weeks later from Amazon.
The side stuff is half of the reason why I love Yakuza series so much. You have a ton of things to do in each game and they are all so damn fun. Haven't played any of the Shenmue games, but if you like side contents/mini games then you are gonna love Yakuza 0.

Don't know anything about Amazon though, sorry.

Alucrid

Banned
i was going to pick it up later since gr2, kh 2.8 and tales all come out in the same four day period. but whatever, just preordered it.

Amazon is 90% of the time really solid with getting people games on release day but seeing
Want to receive this the day it comes out?
Select FREE Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

On the page for NiOh and not Yakuza 0 is making me rub my chin a bit

Tailzo

you mean a fresh cast unrelated to the current? perhaps although i think with the way they've been doing multiple protagonists all this time since 4 has made them warm up to the idea of ditching kiryu

which i hate
Yes, a new cast, unrelated to the current would be interesting. They always come up with some new interesting characters for every game, so why not go all out? :)

Past

I want them to make new characters though. And continue the series with a fresh cast. I wonder if the psp games didn't do well enough, and scared them a bit from doing that?

The PSP games weren't even made by the Yakuza team AFAIK.

Karu

PS: The theme is very nice. The card holder is also nice but considering it's a 100+ hour game I prefer to have the digital version. I'm too lazy to get up and swap disks.
Wait a second, you're are surely talking about a 110% no life no hobbies New Game Triple Plus playthrough, when you say 100+ hours ,right? :D

Menitta

Wait a second, you're are surely talking about a 110% no life no hobbies New Game Triple Plus playthrough, when you say 100+ hours ,right? :D

I ended Yakuza 5 at 48 hours with 7% completion on my first run. Though isn't Yakuza 5 considered the longest in the series?

Tailzo

The PSP games weren't even made by the Yakuza team AFAIK.

Oh I didn't know that. It looked neat for a psp game.

John Hardin just tweeted this:
"Idk if this metric is significant, but Yakuza 0 is now the most requested game for review since I started @ atlus (surpassing Odin Sphere)"
https://twitter.com/johnlhardin/status/818693577156894720

Reviewers better not fuck this up.

Nice, I hope Yakuza is well recieved.

Preordered, even though I don't own a PS4 (will buy one near RDR2 release).

•Thumbs up'• :)

The main story in Yakuza 0 is about 24-ish hours judging by people who have finished it on how long to beat.

Yakuza 5 was just too big.

It's always the side content that makes Yakuza games really huge though, isn't it? :)

Karu

The main story in Yakuza 0 is about 24-ish hours judging by people who have finished it on how long to beat.

Yakuza 5 was just too big.
That seems reasonable. I have no problem with a long game, but I would have to be invested in the characters or the gameplay to see it through - both of which I didnt experience in the Y franchise before (and have no chance of testing beforehand with the older titles). For a discounted game that wouldn't matter much, but Y0 would be Day One for me. If your hour count is right, it's still in contention for a January purchase.
I might have said all this just to calm down Menitta :D We will see.

It's always the side content that makes Yakuza games really huge though, isn't it? :)
That's true :)

Though, I think there is a good huge and then there is a bad huge. The side stuff are definitely part of the good one. The bloated story parts in Y5 though.... not so much.

I'm just happy that Yakuza 0 seems to be a much more focused title when it comes to story and its pacing.

That seems reasonable. I have no problem with a long game, but I would have to be invested in the characters or the gameplay to see it through - both of which I didnt experience in the Y franchise before (and have no chance of testing beforehand with the older titles). For a discounted game that wouldn't matter much, but Y0 would be Day One for me. If your hour count is right, it's still in contention for a January purchase.
Are you starting the series with Y0? If so, then trust me you are in for an amazing time. I haven't played the game myself but JP side of Yakuza-Gaf loved everything about Y0, especially the story and characters. So yeah, we are all in for a treat.

I ended Yakuza 5 at 48 hours with 7% completion on my first run. Though isn't Yakuza 5 considered the longest in the series?

Yeah, its the longest of the bunch. But % calculation is an odd thing on Yakuza. You could complete a couple of side stories and mini games and net you a couple of % which probably takes you a couple of hours depending on the content. Then you could quickly each at multiple restuarants and mod a load of weapons and watch your completion % jump 10%.

My advice is unless your going for 100% completion don't worry about the completion %. I always just mop up stuff on a Premium Adventure run, that way I can enjoy the story, then hit up the optional stuff if I'm interested. I strongly feel like just doing that for Yakuza 6 at the moment. The game is really pushing me to complete the story, and I really want to see just how the game ends. So I may just leave the rest of the side stuff for the post game premium playthrough.

Tailzo

That's true :)

Though, I think there is a good huge and then there is a bad huge. The side stuff are definitely part of the good one. The bloated story parts in Y5 though.... not so much.

I'm just happy that Yakuza 0 seems to be a much more focused title when it comes to story and its pacing.

Yeah, I can understand that. I also loved Yakuza 5, but I think I'll rewatch a short version of the story before starting Yakuza 6 next year :)

My advice is unless your going for 100% completion don't worry about the completion %. I.

I don't think I've ever thought about the completion %. I always just do whatever I want :)

starting from today, exactly 2 weeks (14 days) from now yakuza 0 will be ours!

i pre-ordered from bestbuy so i can pickup on release day.

I love your positive attitude :)

I don't think I've ever thought about the completion %. I always just do whatever I want :)

Usually for any "open world" type of game I don't care for all the side stuff, its usually repetitive crap, but the Yakuza series has done such an excellent job in the last 10 or so years that the content always feels well worth doing - from great side stories and mini games to modding weapons (many of which are really useful for some of the optional fights) and such. I just love going for 100% in them for whatever reason. Certainly beats going after those fucking pigeons in GTA IV again (can't believe I did that...)

To those who finished Yakuza 5, how much of the game do you control Kiryu? I didn't like Y4 much because I would have preferred to control Kiryu only. That is why I am asking. Also what about 0?

To those who finished Yakuza 5, how much of the game do you control Kiryu? I didn't like Y4 much because I would have preferred to control Kiryu only. That is why I am asking. Also what about 0?

The entire part (4 chapters) of Yakuza 5 have you controlling Kiryu, then you won't have access to him until the final chapter. So if your just doing story stuff, you can probably get a good 10 hours of Kiryu before controlling the other characters. If you do his side stuff as you go? I probably got a good 20-30 hours with him before moving onto the second part of the game.

0 you control Kiryu for half the game (alternating between him and Majima) and unlike 4 and 5 you switch characters every two chapters, so your never away from Kiryu for that long. Kiwami and 6 have you exclusively control Kiryu.

Karu

Are you starting the series with Y0? If so, then trust me you are in for an amazing time. I haven't played the game myself but JP side of Yakuza-Gaf loved everything about Y0, especially the story and characters. So yeah, we are all in for a treat.
Yeah, would be my first one. Just listened to EZA's Frame Trap podcast were Ben Moore and Michael Huber were praising the shit out of Y0 and they also calmed my fears in regards to starting with a prequel, coolcoolcool.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
oh man, Y4 is a much much better game than 5... if you didn't like 4, don't bother IMO

Backflip

As I'll be reviewing Yakuza 0 for Gameblog, I've started playing the game a few days ago. Even though I can't say what I think about it, I can say that it got me watching video of Kabubichô in the early 90s on YouTube. It's crazy how close the game is to the real thing.

Peroroncino

As I'll be reviewing Yakuza 0 for Gameblog, I've started playing the game a few days ago. Even though I can't say what I think about it, I can say that it got me watching video of Kabubichô in the early 90s on YouTube. It's crazy how close the game is to the real thing.

Yakuza series always tried to depict time period it's set in very meticulously, so I'm not really surpised to hear that from you. :)

Can't wait to dive in!

AFD85054D05045B24E0BBD0CC7077367C6CE0C4E

Backflip

Yakuza series always tried to depict time period it's set in very meticulously, so I'm not really surpised to hear that from you. :)

Can't wait to dive in!

AFD85054D05045B24E0BBD0CC7077367C6CE0C4E

True story: the first time I went to Kabukichô, I didn't get lost thanks to Yakuza. I was so happy when I entered Don Quijote and when I saw the red sign.

Fuck. There's no way I'm gonna finish this to get a review done by launch. I think we're allowed to start streaming soon, though.

So far my experience with Yakuza Zero is "Fuck Yes: The Video Game". Combat feels so good, there's so much to do, the characters are great, the story is wonderful, and it feeds upon my love of Japan.

alt27

Fuck. There's no way I'm gonna finish this to get a review done by launch. I think we're allowed to start streaming soon, though.

So far my experience with Yakuza Zero is "Fuck Yes: The Video Game". Combat feels so good, there's so much to do, the characters are great, the story is wonderful, and it feeds upon my love of Japan.

Holy shit, hype levels intensifies.

Anung

Un Rama
I actually bought a copy of zero when I was out in Japan but I never got around to playing it. Pre-ordered this anyway :D gotta support dat Yak.

BigBlueBanana

Neo Member
I just finished Yakuza 4 (my first!). Loved it and now I own 3, 5, Dead Souls and I preordered 0.

I don't have enough time for this hobby!

I hope I'll be able to 100% Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 0 comes out. Currently at ~80%. I'm a bit stuck on the ridiculous Amon fight.
This games can be so unfair sometimes :(

I hope I'll be able to 100% Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 0 comes out. Currently at ~80%. I'm a bit stuck on the ridiculous Amon fight.
This games can be so unfair sometimes :(

Which Amon? Easiest way to cheese the fights is to just go to Kamiyama works and create some "stop signs". These only deliver 1 hit to enemies, but they deal out insane damage, so especially if your Shinada you'll want to use these against Amon as its very difficult otherwise.

Menitta

I've calmed down lol.

Yeah, its the longest of the bunch. But % calculation is an odd thing on Yakuza. You could complete a couple of side stories and mini games and net you a couple of % which probably takes you a couple of hours depending on the content. Then you could quickly each at multiple restuarants and mod a load of weapons and watch your completion % jump 10%.

My advice is unless your going for 100% completion don't worry about the completion %. I always just mop up stuff on a Premium Adventure run, that way I can enjoy the story, then hit up the optional stuff if I'm interested. I strongly feel like just doing that for Yakuza 6 at the moment. The game is really pushing me to complete the story, and I really want to see just how the game ends. So I may just leave the rest of the side stuff for the post game premium playthrough.

Really? That's odd. From the impressions I've seen, I probably won't Platinum Y5. It seems too tedious. The one I did the most stuff in overall was Yakuza 4 and even then I wasn't that close to doing it all. I might just end up Platinum-ing 0 because what you get for completing all the side quests is so awesome and I might as well go all the way.

You get The Dragon of Dojima fighting style for Kiryu and a Crazy style for Majima! That's so cool!

No way I'll worry about it on my first run though. That'll just ruin the experience.

I've calmed down lol.

Really? That's odd. From the impressions I've seen, I probably won't Platinum Y5. It seems too tedious. The one I did the most stuff in overall was Yakuza 4 and even then I wasn't that close to doing it all. I might just end up Platinum-ing 0 because what you get for completing all the side quests is so awesome and I might as well go all the way.

You get The Dragon of Dojima fighting style for Kiryu and a Crazy style for Majima! That's so cool!

No way I'll worry about it on my first run though. That'll just ruin the experience.

Yeah, 5's platinum is a real test in patience, skill, patience again and determination. They filled the game with so much content that ordinarily it'd take a while not taking into account that some of said content is rather difficult in places (stupid arena grind). 0's plat actually tested my patience more despite being much shorter. 0 has cat fighting (sexy wrestling basically) and its the most random POS I've ever seen. I expect most complaints in the OT (regarding mini games/trophies/completion) to be about it!

6 seems like an easy plat though, basically just playing most mini games a few times (to hit certain targets) and complete all the side stories. Its still got a completion list but that is entirely optional this go round (which I'll probably end up completing for the heck of it, might take me a month or two though).

burgerdog

Pre-ordered
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Oh crap, I ordered on the 3rd. Anybody else seeing this message on amazon?

Which Amon? Easiest way to cheese the fights is to just go to Kamiyama works and create some "stop signs". These only deliver 1 hit to enemies, but they deal out insane damage, so especially if your Shinada you'll want to use these against Amon as its very difficult otherwise.

Ooh I didn't know that.
I was stuck on the second fight.
I mean how the fuck I am supposed to deal with this guy. I invoke some ghost and it seems I can't deal damage as long as they're alive... But they respawn as soon as they're dead :/

Ooh I didn't know that.
I was stuck on the second fight.
I mean how the fuck I am supposed to deal with this guy. I invoke some ghost and it seems I can't deal damage as long as they're alive... But they respawn as soon as they're dead :/

Isn't Seijima the second fight? As I just tanked my way through the fight since I had him fully leveled and he's such a beast I found that fight the easiest of the four (watch out for Kiryu's battle, its just insane).

Top Bottom