• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Traxtech

If i want to get into the Yakuza games, should i ignore 0 and wait for the other ones? I'm not sure about the time line at all

Tailzo

It's a JRPG, it's to be expected.

I don't think "Yakuza is a basically a 3D Streets of Rage with a deep crime story and contains lengthy cutscenes" is a great description. It's a JRPG with a beat em up battle system.. Unless you're skipping cutscenes and side content, combat is not the bulk of the play time.

That's not a bad description. I remember liking beat em ups as a kid, then later loving jrpgs, and finding beat em ups to be a bit too simple. Yakuza is actually doing a great job of being a modern beat em up.

FelipeMGM

I can't stop watching this trailer . It's sooooo good

https://youtu.be/vpDnmgCWolo

There is just so much to do. I like the Karaoke minigame a lot

I am still on the fence. The combat has me worried.

Previews will be up on Jan 11, and since story stuff should be discussed lightly for obvious spoiler reasons, combat and side activities will sure be highlighted on that. Maybe that will help you

I am still on the fence. The combat has me worried.

Why are you worried?
--
I payed around 100 bucks or more total to get the Japanese version to my country at launch. I had to stop playing, it was too hard to understand and time consuming to look up so many words etc.
Finally now I can understand, and enjoy the game more. So I will support and buy the game again.

Tailzo

I've decided to give away one of my two preorder copies to a friend. Maybe he'll become a fan of the series? :)

Recall

Pre-ordered my copy today. I adore 4 and I haven't play a Yakuza game since so I'm ready to feel the heat again.

TEJ

I just put the game on preorder yesterday, picking it up alongside kh2.8

With those two and dq8 3ds/tales of bersia this january i'll practically have no social life!
Not that I had much of one to begin with...

Tailzo

To be honest, I was more interested in Ishin. :v

I really wanted Ishin too, but Yakuza doesn't sell well, so maybe a spin-off would be a sales disaster in the west?

Sooo looking forward to this.

Yes me too! I am so ready for some Yakuza-action :)

tragically, this had "left behind" written all over it

see also: Kenzan!, totally worth playing with a guide too

I have Kenzan, and I played it and enjoyed it. Agreed!

Kenzan was good but Ishin takes the cake. It's amazing.

Guide out there are deep enough to really enjoy the game. Don't hesitate people.

Tailzo

I'm assuming YAKUZA: DEAD SOULS did terrible. And rightly so. One of the worst Yakuza games i've ever played.

Although I did enjoy it for what it was, it was without doubt the worst Yakuza game.

Guide out there are deep enough to really enjoy the game. Don't hesitate people.

I really should buy it... I'm also wondering if I should sell my copy of Kenzan to someone that was never lucky enough to buy it back in the day.

anddo0

I believe Swiftor (Twitch) will be doing an early stream today.

I've finished 1,2 and 4, played a bit of 5.
I'm trying to stay away from day 1 purchases this year. However, this franchise is an exception. I have to show my support. Yakuza game's break the mold, the gameplay and story focus represent everything I love about gaming.

takoyaki

Seconded.

Ishin is my favorite Yakuza game (played&finished all except 5 and Kurohyou PSP). Even If you don't know a word of Japanese, play it using this guide; just leave it open on a tablet/phone and check what everyone said after a cutscene. You'll still have a great time, I played Kenzan that way and really enjoyed it.

The story and setting in Ishin are great. I love how they use the Yakuza cast as digital actors and cast them as real historical figures. Sword-fighting feels so good and I dare to not get addicted to the farming mini-game ;) It's also a very polished game on PS4, think it was 1080p/60 with v-sync. The soundtrack is outstanding.

edit: Kenzan is very good as well and might have the better story, but it's harder to go back to if you've become accustomed to the improvements in gameplay/graphics the series made since then. Still the best opening movie in the whole series imo.

in my experience with yakuza games i kinda stop giving a shit if the story doesn't follow kiryu anymore.

when i was playing yakuza 5 as kiryu and his arc ended, i immediately lost interest when i had to start playing as someone else.

i don't give a shit about the other protagonists, i mean i would've played as haruka but i never made it that far. with yakuza 0 since it's just kiryu and majima maybe i'll play through it all

takoyaki

Is that mandatory/recommend?

Zero is a prequel and a great place to start. So is Kiwami ( Remake of Yakuza 1), the next one getting released this summer.

Yakuza is great but you can get burned out on the series if you play to many of them in a short time-frame (think Assassin's Creed).

in my experience with yakuza games i kinda stop giving a shit if the story doesn't follow kiryu anymore.

when i was playing yakuza 5 as kiryu and his arc ended, i immediately lost interest when i had to start playing as someone else.

i don't give a shit about the other protagonists, i mean i would've played as haruka but i never made it that far. with yakuza 0 since it's just kiryu and majima maybe i'll play through it all

Well on the bright side at least the three next games (0, Kiwami and 6) have more than enough Kiryu to satisfy your appetite!

Tailzo

I wonder if that's what most Yakuza fans feel. Because then I'm not sure how they could either continue the series, or make a spiritual successor.

I loved having other playable characters in Yakuza 4 & 5, I want a new "Yakuza" game with an all new cast.

Cheezus

Just found out my girlfriend preordered this for me. I have no money but I'm glad I could still contribute to this cause indirectly. She already completed her Chinese copy and she spent about 40 hours just doing the host club mini game alone, but she spent nowhere near that amount of time on kiwami or 6.

Well on the bright side at least the three next games (0, Kiwami and 6) have more than enough Kiryu to satisfy your appetite!
Indeed! I actually wasn't aware until recently that Kiwami was getting localized, and coming out this year. It's cool that I'll get to play the prequel and then the first installment after that to see how it has shaped the development of Kiryu.
I wonder if that's what most Yakuza fans feel. Because then I'm not sure how they could either continue the series, or make a spiritual successor.

I loved having other playable characters in Yakuza 4 & 5, I want a new "Yakuza" game with an all new cast.
I dunno if that's how most Yakuza fans feel, I can't link the thread but I remember complaining about Yakuza 5 saying I stopped playing after
Kiryu got shot
and this other gaffer was calling me out saying I should give the rest of the story and the rest of the protagonists a chance.

SOLDIER

I've still got Yakuza 4 and 5 on my backlog, but could I just jump into 0 without any problems? Or does the story heavily rely on your knowledge of the events of those games?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If he wants a Virtua Fighter - like realistic combat, then he has a reason to be worried. The combat is crazy, really fun and has a lot of moves / depth for the type of combat it is. But it is not realistic.

Neither is VF

oh ye shit

for real, how's it look? so jelly!
Looks great.
cq0966lM.png

Top Bottom