• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I haven't played Kiwami, but no way any one should miss out on playing Yakuza 1 (first time or otherwise), one of the best games in the series in terms of story (tie for me with Yakuza 4). It's also been about 10 years since its released, I really can't wait to see what it looks like on PS4 (hopefully improved on the Yakuza 1&2 HD version). Funny that the core structure of the game remains largely unchanged.

Also, I just ordered Yakuza Ishin! (and preordered DQVIII). A very expensive January which may include a preorder for Nioh later too. I now have all the Yakuza games except for the PSP ones. (Are they available on the PS Vita shop, that would be a hassle to switch memory cards and PSN shop region, but at least it would be doable sometime down the track should I run out of Yakuza games.)

Dang, they are still available on Play-Asia, $45 and $50 respectively. Guess I'm skipping them for now.. but that is awesome that PSP games are still available in 2017.

EDIT: There is a 'PSP the best' version available for $25 and $45 respectively. Makes the first game reasonably cheap to get.
he said he played yakuza 1.

Peroroncino

Decided to finish off Yakuza 5 before this, jeez i did not remember how many attacks just knock you down and i gotta mash X to get back up :E I don't think i even have the basic fall recovery move on all characters.

Does Zero still have the same fighting system? :D

0 has a much more refined and snappy combat system, it's been praised by many fans.

oneida

there are a few moments in 3 that i think are so awesome
but i don't think I'll replay it

Peroroncino

3 was a big step forward for the franchise with some amazing moments...
Rikiya :(
no way it's skippable, from the whole series I'd say the only one skippable is Dead Souls.

btw. when does the embargo lifts?

I got bogged down in Yakuza 5 with the whole baseball chapter, ruined the whole game for me. Not even 3 or 4 had such long meaningless chapters i couldn't care less about...

Dead Souls is actually a fun departure, especially after playing many games in the series.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I got bogged down in Yakuza 5 with the whole baseball chapter, ruined the whole game for me. Not even 3 or 4 had such long meaningless chapters i couldn't care less about...

Dead Souls is actually a fun departure, especially after playing many games in the series.

But that chapter had Takasugi, the greatest supporting character in Yakuza history!

jacobeid

Banned
Embargo on previews lifts at 12:00 EST today.

Reviews? The 19th.

Seems weird to have an embargo for a game that's been out for over a year, but maybe that's just me lol. The way they were discussing the game in this week's Frame Trap made me think there wasn't one.

Peroroncino

Embargo on previews lifts at 12:00 EST today.

Reviews? The 19th.

Thanks, that's good to know, can't wait to read some previews, I hope reviewers like it, this series deserves another shot in the west, I hope SEGA won't regret dobling down on Yakuza with all these announcements.

3 was a big step forward for the franchise with some amazing moments...
Rikiya :(
no way it's skippable, from the whole series I'd say the only one skippable is Dead Souls.

btw. when does the embargo lifts?

Exactly. Skipping 3 would be a silly.
Rikyia
is a fantastic support character (probably the best in the entire series in my opinion) and there are some excellent moments late in the game (especially some of the later boss fights like
Lau
and
Mine
). The soundtrack is bloody fantastic as well, one of the best in the series.

Since all the games bar Dead Souls fall in the main story canon only DS is really worth skipping and that's if your not a fan of the archaic combat system (I enjoyed it, and as it features a couple of great playable characters and some cool side missions I'd say its worth at least giving it a shot if you can get it cheap).

Kssio_Aug

Good memories playing Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 3! Loved them!
Unfortuntaly I haven't played the others cause I couldn't find Yakuza 2 to buy, and couldn't afford Yakuza 4 and 5 back then.

Totally interested in Yakuza 0 though! Does someone knows if I could play it and not be totally lost in the story?

oneida

Good memories playing Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 3! Loved them!
Unfortuntaly I haven't played the others cause I couldn't find Yakuza 2 to buy, and couldn't afford Yakuza 4 and 5 back then.

Totally interested in Yakuza 0 though! Does someone knows if I could play it and not be totally lost in the story?

yeah you'll be 100% fine. it takes place before everything (except Yakuza 2 flashbacks)

i hope you find a way to play yakuza 2

FelipeMGM

Yeah, embargo for preview is down, so here is also a bit of my experrence with it so far

Im 20 hours in and on chapter 10 atm. Enjoying a lot so far but it has some minor shortcomings for me.

-Both arcs are amazing, Kazuma and (specially) Majima shine a lot as protagonists. The dialogues and the story are great and very interesting.
-Some weird cutscenes choices though. There are like 4 different types of cutscenes (including two where the characters lips dont move at all). And sometimes they will have a very cinematic cutscene and then a small cut to black and keep going with a cutscenes but on a different style, which makes the pacing feel weird
-Also the overstaying of story sequences sometimes breaks the momentum of the story itself. Like there are moments that are perfect for a break with a combat segment, but before that they will throw in a long dialogue thats pretty useless that cuts the tension before the fight starts.
-Funny as hell and cool but also a bit overstaying side quests sometimes. Not a issue though, since they are very interesting.
-Side activities (Karaoke, Arcades. Clubs, etc) are all amazing and incredibly well worked. Srsly, its insane how much there is to do and how much fun even the simplest ones are. The variety is pretty great too.
-Combat is simple yet crazy fun. Beeing able to change combat styles on the fly makes it feel less like some button smash crazyness. I really like the styles itself too, very different from each other. It can become a bit repetitive when roaming the disctrics, but then in missions with enviroments designed for it its stellar.
-Upgrade systems for combat are fine and somewhat deep, but I dont feel that they are that necessary atm. I have few upgrades bought and yet Im going through the game on normal pretty easy.

So yeah, I really like the game a lot despite some stuff about its pace. I know a lot of my pros and cons here are not news at all to players that are more familiar with the series, this might be more worth it to newcomers (which are very welcome to start with this one)

SephLuis

I am also doing a review and I guess I am at the 20-30 hour mark.......mostly doing side quests.

Pacing of the story itself is a big improvement over Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5 with the focus on only two protagonists. My only issue so far is that cash as everything has the good and the bad side of it. Since you have too much cash, almost all extra activities are open from the get go. But using cash to gain abilities is extremely expensive and grindy. There are a few activities that give you a lot of cash, but other feel like wasting your time (even a boss gave me the surprising amount of 0 yen)

Still an awesome game and one of the best this month.

Shoeless

Yakuza 3 was my first Yakuza game, and it totally dragged me in. I know some people complain about the slow start but man... those kids at Sunshine Orphanage... I got really emotionally invested in them, so even their "cameo" Yakuza 5 pulled at my heart strings.

Also, Rikiya Shimabukuro. That dude won me over.

Thanks, that's good to know, can't wait to read some previews, I hope reviewers like it, this series deserves another shot in the west, I hope SEGA won't regret dobling down on Yakuza with all these announcements.

Some previews (including one from a site I'm involved with):

http://www.indianvideogamer.com/featured-posts/preview-yakuza-0-breakin-the-law-breakin-the-world/ (this one)

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/revie...be-the-first-must-have-game-of-2017-1647829?1

http://www.heypoorplayer.com/2017/01/11/yakuza-0-preview/

http://yakuzafan.com/yakuza-0-preview-tour-kamurocho-preview/

oneida

Yakuza 3 was my first Yakuza game, and it totally dragged me in. I know some people complain about the slow start but man... those kids at Sunshine Orphanage... I got really emotionally invested in them, so even their "cameo" Yakuza 5 pulled at my heart strings.

I have to admit I thought Daigo in Yakuza 2 was a much more interesting tag-along than Rikiya, and I didn't feel anything
when Rikiya got shot
I wrote a little bit about this in my LTTP thread for Yakuza 3 from 2015 if anyone cares

from that thread
I don't think the story of Yakuza 3 remains focused enough for its more dramatic sequences to resonate very well. In a telltale segment, Fuma informs Kiryu that Daigo is in Tokyo, and in danger. He's arranged a personal jet for Kiryu so that he can return to Kamurocho as quickly as possible, but he's interrupted by Taichi, one of the game's terrible orphans who tells Kiryu that the Sunshine Orphanage has been demolished. Kiryu understandably delays his return to Kamurocho so that he can make sure all the orphans he cares for are alright, and then he finds out that Nakahara, leader of a small Okinawa family, has been kidnapped. Kiryu then decides to chase after Nakahara who he's only known for seemingly a few weeks, which endangers Daigo and results in the (abrupt!) death of Rikiya. The bullhorn sequence makes for a memorable setpiece, but it seemed that the main narrative was starting to ramp up when it was AGAIN delayed by some orphanage dilemma. Rikiya's death feels completely forced here and Kiryu's emotional response seems really out of character. Really, the whole chapter left a bad taste in my mouth, but it also exemplified my main problem with Yakuza 3's central narrative: the orphanage. I don't care about the orphanage. I don't care that Taichi has asthma or that Shiro is being bullied. Not because I'm an asshole, I don't think, but because the game's hook - that Kiryu's foster father Fuma has risen from the dead and started assassinating yakuza chairmen - has hooked me, and I want to find out more about that stuff, and not about Taichi's asthma. You remember how I praised Y1 for Haruka never becoming the annoying kid character? This game has boatloads of the sort of character I was happy Haruka never was.

Yeah, embargo for preview is down, so here is also a bit of my experrence with it so far

Im 20 hours in and on chapter 10 atm. Enjoying a lot so far but it has some minor shortcomings for me.

-Also the overstaying of story sequences sometimes breaks the momentum of the story itself. Like there are moments that are perfect for a break with a combat segment, but before that they will throw in a long dialogue thats pretty useless that cuts the tension before the fight starts.
-Upgrade systems for combat are fine and somewhat deep, but I dont feel that they are that necessary atm. I have few upgrades bought and yet Im going through the game on normal pretty easy.

So yeah, I really like the game a lot despite some stuff about its pace. I know a lot of my pros and cons here are not news at all to players that are more familiar with the series, this might be more worth it to newcomers (which are very welcome to start with this one)

These two have been issues with the series for me since the beginning. Yakuza 6 is a great example for the second issue - it really likes to drag out and re-iterate things more than needed some times. I love the stories in the series but they really could do with trimming some of the fat from the script in my opinion.

And yeah, especially playing the game on normal (which to me has always been akin to easy mode in the series, hard mode even is still a bit too easy for me in some of the games) but you can quite easily just use certain styles and have a couple of healing items and you can probably mash your way through 90% of battles. That'd get super boring for me though, there is a nice depth to the range of awesome attacks you unlock - parries, counters, badass new heat moves and tons of other moves for styles etc. that if you delve into you'll probably enjoy the combat more (I know that's the case for me).

Same here. I adored Y3, and
Rikiya's death Is a scene i'll remember for a long time. Seeing Kazuma break down like that
really got to me.

I Started 4 two months ago, and it's bored me for the first 3 hours. Knowing 3 though I just gotta keep pushing on, I hope it gets good soon.

Conezays

Interesting to see which entries people prefer. Having played 1 and 2 in the past couple years I personally found 1 to be the entry that holds up the least. With regards to its gameplay, pacing, battles, side quests, etc. it just seemed to me a game that hadn't quite found its footing yet. 2 alleviated all of these issues, especially with regards to pacing and gameplay for me. Looking forward to 0 (5 is the only one I haven't played yet); 2 and 4 have probably been my favourites thus far from each respective generation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Interesting to see which entries people prefer. Having played 1 and 2 in the past couple years I personally found 1 to be the entry that holds up the least. With regards to its gameplay, pacing, battles, side quests, etc. it just seemed to me a game that hadn't quite found its footing yet. 2 alleviated all of these issues, especially with regards to pacing and gameplay for me. Looking forward to 0 (5 is the only one I haven't played yet); 2 and 4 have probably been my favourites thus far from each respective generation.

I agree with all of this.

Yakuza 1 was a 7/10 game at best for me, with the story being the clear highlight. But even in 2006, I felt like the game had GTA syndrome, where all of the mechanics feel kinda busted, but the overarching ideas are great. 2 was the game that made me a believer.

Incidentally, the kinda iffy first game is also why Kiwami is such an exciting proposition to me.

HeeHo

Just ordered it through Amazon. I have always been interested in Yakuza ever since the PS2 days but I have yet to play a single one since I was mostly a 360 guy last gen.

Excited!

Top Bottom