• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I just find that Yakuza 0 still over $30 in my country's trade-in market, it's already out 2 years.Too good to drop price

Tailzo

Having never seen or played the series before, the way some people make it sound you just walk around and punch stuff.

Then I advice you to look at a gameplay video.

Who knows, maybe it looks better than what you imagine. I mean, since you say you've never seen or played the series before. :)

takoyaki

Having never seen or played the series before, the way some people make it sound you just walk around and punch stuff.

The combat system in Yakuza is as deep as you want it to be. Some of the devs on the Yakuza team used to work on arcade brawler games and on lower difficulties, you can play Yakuza games like old-school brawlers. But there's a lot of variety with different fighting-styles, tactical blocking and evasion, combos and super-moves that you need to trigger in heat-mode, crowd-control, 100s of melee weapons and gear, the occasional gun,... Play it on a higher difficulty if you're worried about the game not providing enough of a challenge. Combat is one of the consistent highlights of Yakuza games.

Giganteus

Yakuza's one of those games you hear about occasionally over the years, but never check out. I'm finally looking at gameplay and trailers, right now, and it looks kind of awesome. I'll be buying after the reviews hit.

Tailzo

Yakuza's one of those games you hear about occasionally over the years, but never check out. I'm finally looking at gameplay and trailers, right now, and it looks kind of awesome. I'll be buying after the reviews hit.

That makes me very happy to read, Giganteus :) I hope the reviews end up positive enough for you to try the series for the first time.

Btw, looking at previous scores in the franchise, I expect an average of 75% or more :)

Menitta

That makes me very happy to read, Giganteus :) I hope the reviews end up positive enough for you to try the series for the first time.

Btw, looking at previous scores in the franchise, I expect an average of 75% or more :)

I think the meta score will be higher than Yakuza 5 for sure and it had an 83. My guess is 87.

Tailzo

I think the meta score will be higher than Yakuza 5 for sure and it had an 83. My guess is 87.

Well, Yakuza 5 was a ps3 game, and had different expectations, also I think only extra interested sites kept revieweing niche ps3 games when it released, so that might've helped the meta-score.

I pre-ordered this today.

It will be the 1st Yakuza game I have ever played.

This is the perfect starting point :)

I have the theme but I want the card holder :(
hey...can you preorder the game digitally, get the theme, and then cancel the preorder?

i am still buying the game lol i have the physical preordered on amazon coz i want the cardholder too
IMO it's a great starting point, but Yakuza 1 is the perfect starting point
of course, yakuza 1 is the debut of the series. but we have no choice but to get 0 first

Tailzo

meh. even looking at the trailers i really couldn't care less about majima's backstory. well i do but i don't want to play through a whole significant segment of the game to find it all out.

kiryu will always be the main character of this franchise

Majima is one of the coolest characters of the series, and he isn't just a crazy dude. So yeah, I'm looking forward to more of his story :)

eagledare

I have Y0 preordered and pushed through Y5 last night in preparation for its arrival. I had been playing through it pretty aggressively, but ran out of steam around
Shinada's
chapter. It was great to finish it but my god that gauntlet of bosses at the end sucked.
Saejima's
hunting sidequests totally made up for it though.

Anyway, hope Y6 will end up coming over as well. Can't get enough of this series; the Yakuza games are one of those series that remind me of why I love gaming.

I want them to make new characters though. And continue the series with a fresh cast. I wonder if the psp games didn't do well enough, and scared them a bit from doing that?
you mean a fresh cast unrelated to the current? perhaps although i think with the way they've been doing multiple protagonists all this time since 4 has made them warm up to the idea of ditching kiryu

which i hate

eagledare

meh. even looking at the trailers i really couldn't care less about majima's backstory. well i do but i don't want to play through a whole significant segment of the game to find it all out.

kiryu will always be the main character of this franchise

Agree about Kiryu, but I could totally do a full game of Akiyama.

Edit: whoops, sorry for double post.

hey...can you preorder the game digitally, get the theme, and then cancel the preorder?

i am still buying the game lol i have the physical preordered on amazon coz i want the cardholder tooof course, yakuza 1 is the debut of the series. but we have no choice but to get 0 first
You can't cancel PSN pre-orders :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You can't cancel PSN pre-orders :(

I accidentally pre ordered FFXV digitally and the sony rep on chat was able to cancel it for me. They kept the amount in the PSN "wallet" so I had to use it for other things :p ..

so, yeah, you can cancel but don't expect to get the amount back.

I love Kiryu but it's high time they moved away from him. Akiyama or a new character for Y7 would be preferable.

I accidentally pre ordered FFXV digitally and the sony rep on chat was able to cancel it for me. They kept the amount in the PSN "wallet" so I had to use it for other things :p ..

so, yeah, you can cancel but don't expect to get the amount back.
Wow, didn't know that. When you pre-order something from PSN they tell you specifically that it can't be canceled so I thought it wasn't possible.

A little OT but I got the Kazuma Figma figurine I preordered in the mail today! I can't wait to take a picture of him beside the cool "Business edition"!

The paint job on his face is a little meh but it's okay...there's virtually no Ryu Ga Gotoku merch so I'll take what I can get... ;-;

for real! i'm gonna start wearing coats to have a picket for them, haha
i'm so ready man! irish you doing the OT or another?
Good man.
Meanwhile, I keep on staring to my PS4 theme.
so jealous. i wish physical pre-orders had this too.

I have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks for my physical copy to arrive in Malaysia. It's ok I'll enjoy the gifs in the OT till then.
oh damn... i hope they ship it fast! is it being shipped EMS?

Yes me too! I am so ready for some Yakuza-action :)
so hyped!! i think i'm going to boot up 5 just to keep myself busy.

Received an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I preordered a physical copy. Paid an extra $3.98 for 1 day shipping. Don't wanna chance it not getting here on release date, since I'm off work the 25th.

I haven known about the series forever, but this will be my first time actually playing it. Very excited. 0 was great on PS3, right?

Pre-orderd thanks to Night Life Trailer.

Time to give Yakuza another spin.

This is what did it for me. It made me nostalgic for Shenmue then I quickly scrambled around looking for my gift card.

Relique

Even though I will likely not have time for this until summer, pre-ordered it to support the game. Godspeed to them I hope it does well.

IMO it's a great starting point, but Yakuza 1 is the perfect starting point

I agree with this. It's a shame there is no easier way to play them without owning a PS2.

The main appeal for the game was seeing it improve and build upon itself every iteration, seeing the characters grow and Kamurocho change. I feel like the effect is lost when not starting at Yakuza 1 and going in a linear line through the mainline games from there.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I agree with this. It's a shame there is no easier way to play them without owning a PS2.

The main appeal for the game was seeing it improve and build upon itself every iteration, seeing the characters grow and Kamurocho change. I feel like the effect is lost when not starting at Yakuza 1 and going in a linear line through the mainline games from there.
we should thank sega for encouraging people to buy PS2s!

Alright so I'm making progress in Y3 and have this preordered. I'm hoping I can at least finish this before my copy arrives. Between this and Gravity Rush, January snuck up on me with things I want to play.

Received an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I preordered a physical copy. Paid an extra $3.98 for 1 day shipping. Don't wanna chance it not getting here on release date, since I'm off work the 25th.

I haven known about the series forever, but this will be my first time actually playing it. Very excited. 0 was great on PS3, right?
9NHJtuGha.gif

And yeah, Y0 was great on both PS3 and especially PS4. (60fps baby!)

MYeager

Sometimes you also have to break up used underwear selling rings and buy booze for homeless people for information. Walking around and punching stuff is probably 40-50%.

I just had a random thought of Nathan Drake cameoing in a Yakuza game lol
this gets me thinking though...i wish ND rerelease the playstation heroes dlc that let you play as like cole and the chimera...would love a chance to play as kazuma kiryu. he had guns in the zombie games didn't he? they can also be equipped as weapons in the games. he's 3rd party but he'd still fit right in

plidex

People wanting to preorder to get the bonus and cancel the preorder may be part of the reason why Sony doesn't cancel preorders.

They do make exceptions. I was able to cancel my Witcher 3 preorder.

PS: The theme is very nice. The card holder is also nice but considering it's a 100+ hour game I prefer to have the digital version. I'm too lazy to get up and swap disks.

Top Bottom