• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Beast style seems to suck. Is that correct?

It's only good at the beginning if you're facing a rather large crowd and have a good weapon like a bicycle or a sofa or a motorcycle or a large sign nearby.

Otherwise, it really becomes good overall once you put a lot of money in it's sphere grid. And get good at reading the character habits/animations.

Mazre

gcgjrdm.jpg

*dies*

The cartoony way they do spying throughout this whole substory is fantastic.

I think something has to be said to how different of a character majima is his story compared to his substories to the point it feels like two different games and people.
This has almost always been a thing in the Yakuza series. Some substories fit the character, some are just insanely wacky situations where they do things that are unexpected.

Like in Yakuza 3 with the substory
where you LITERALLY solve a murder, Ace Attorney style.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
28 hrs, still in chapter 6.

The real estate game is too addictive. Already covered 3 districts, gunning for Gambling guy next. I think I'm completely going to skip Majima's hostess game now, already spent too much time doing this lol, need to get on with the story.

If someone can tell me this, does the game let you play after the story in sort of an 'adventure mode' where I can safely go and complete Majima's hostess game without worrying about needing to progress with the story ?

Fhtagn

Last night I was thinking this game really needed some X Japan (though their break out hit Blue Blood came out in 89), and then I was in a bar and heard exactly that kind of pop thrash/glam playing... right on. Wonder if that was an old track or something specifically for the game.

The real estate game is too addictive. Already covered 3 districts, gunning for Gambling guy next. I think I'm completely going to skip Majima's hostess game now, already spent too much time doing this lol, need to get on with the story.

If someone can tell me this, does the game let you play after the story in sort of an 'adventure mode' where I can safely go and complete Majima's hostess game without worrying about needing to progress with the story ?

Yes and that mode is literally called Premium Adventure mode. You can continue your savegame from when you've ended the story (you're actually encouraged to make a new save) and then do any substory or side activity or minigame or completion or whatever with no story to worry about.

You can also change your outfit in that mode

BREEEAAAKING ZA WARRRUUDDO

adamsapple

Yes and that mode is literally called Premium Adventure mode. You can continue your savegame from when you've ended the story (you're actually encouraged to make a new save) and then do any substory or side activity or minigame or completion or whatever with no story to worry about.

You can also change your outfit in that mode

BREEEAAAKING ZA WARRRUUDDO

Oh shit, I can get that outfit for the regular game ? That's badass.

Also, the Mr. Shakedown fights are so fun, you really need to be on your toes, getting hit once is practically death sentence. The last Mr. Shakedown fight I had got me 2.5 billion (trillion ?) yen. Biggest amount I've seen so far.

Though, beating them with Majima was a lot easier than with Kiryu for some reason.

Here's some screenshots as my tribute.

yakuza0_2017020411381llsvp.png

I love how serious Kiryu is in the "describe your body" picture.

Jachaos

Beast style seems to suck. Is that correct?

Some of the heat actions are real good. It's the best at crowd control I feel. I'd mash square near a bicycle, it'd pick it up automatically, knock everyone down, build up my heat meter. I'd then grab an enemy and do the Heat Move where Kiryu spins the guy around like a ragdoll, knocking all the other enemies back down and taking a good chunk of health.

Is it possible to beat the game by just doing story missions? I wanna replay it and do everything but my personal time is lacking and with Nioh coming next week I'd like to beat this game as fast as possible. I'm just worried about leveling up and shit.

Is it possible to beat the game by just doing story missions? I wanna replay it and do everything but my personal time is lacking and with Nioh coming next week I'd like to beat this game as fast as possible. I'm just worried about leveling up and shit.
Just keep stocking up on health replenishing items and play it safe and you can definitely do that.

In fact, to be frank, I feel like that's the way the game SHOULD be played because the story's pacing can feel off if you just meander all the time and this is one story that's worth blazing through.

You can play all the additional side stuff in Premium Adventure mode after ending the game.

Almost finished the real estate game.
It's a lot of standing around in my office now just racking up money to fill out my skill trees.

MrDaravon

As someone who never actually played Outrun I am fucking TERRIBLE at it. After 10 attempts I can't even make it to the second checkpoint, and sucking at it just cost me territory in the estate subquest which is kind of garbage. Even when I play cautiously I feel like the controls are incredibly twitchy and I just immediately veer off to one side or the other when I completely don't intend to.

How do I not suck at Outrun

This has got to be the best impulse purchase that I have ever made. Bought the game at the end of January; I'm still only on chapter two, but I've put about eight hours into the game so far, and it's been the most fun I've had with a game in a while. Everything about the game is really charming. Fantastic storytelling, easily adaptable learning/skill curve, a completely self-aware humour that has had me in stitches. I feel like I haven't even moved at all in the main story yet, because I'm so captivated by the sidestories.

Thank you GAF for convincing me to buy this game.

On the topic of fighting styles, Beast style feels really stiff to me. Rush is definitely my preferred Kiryu style.

I don't know why they made the real estate mini game into such a time based one. Youd think the people who did the cabaret club would have done something more fun.

With cabaret club I was literally unable to stop playing it because it was so fun and addictive. And I still have one more girls subplot to go and I'm coming back to do it even after I'm done with the story. With real estate after testing it out at first I didn't feel like waiting around so I left.

Does the beast style teacher actually teach anything? Looks like she just does money challenges.

Every 2 challenge you beat, she lets you go on a quest.

Beat that quest and she teaches you a new tech
You also need to unlock the path leading up to the ability in the sphere grid that that particular lesson unlocks, just like every other style.

Only difference with her is that you ALSO need to finish the 2 training missions that get unlocked after every lesson, as Rymuth mentioned.

I don't know why they made the real estate mini game into such a time based one. Youd think the people who did the cabaret club would have done something more fun.

With cabaret club I was literally unable to stop playing it because it was so fun and addictive. And I still have one more girls subplot to go and I'm coming back to do it even after I'm done with the story. With real estate after testing it out at first I didn't feel like waiting around so I left.
Leave it to collect payout, farm Mr. Shakedown 2-3 times, come back to moolah.

You also need to unlock the path leading up to the sphere grid that that particular lesson unlocks, just like every other style.

Only difference with her is that you ALSO need to finish the 2 training missions that get unlocked after every lesson.

Leave it to collect payout, farm Mr. Shakedown 2-3 times, come back to moolah.
There we go makes sense. I guess it wasn't as obvious since she doesn't tell you outright 'you need to invest more in yourself'

Well as long as the game lets me send my spare 4-5 billion to kyriu that should be fine. Hopefully with that amount I can do all of the real estate missions. And majima while I can get more upgrades for my new style I'm not crazy about it and would rather not have to spend half a billion on each (and more for the later) the next couple of updates and instead use that money to get kyriu the real estate and get him as strong as majima is for me now

Fhtagn

As someone who never actually played Outrun I am fucking TERRIBLE at it. After 10 attempts I can't even make it to the second checkpoint, and sucking at it just cost me territory in the estate subquest which is kind of garbage. Even when I play cautiously I feel like the controls are incredibly twitchy and I just immediately veer off to one side or the other when I completely don't intend to.

How do I not suck at Outrun

If you're trying to get good enough at Outrun for CP and in game reasons, use the d-pad instead of the analog stick until you are good enough at the basics that you feel you need to up your game with the precision of the analog, cuz frankly the analog stick is tuned way too tightly imho.

Main things are:
1. Shift gear around 120km to maximize acceleration
2. Favor easing off the accelerator instead of braking, but do tap or hold the brakes in a crisis.
3. Even if you lose half your speed it is always better to slow down than crash.
4. Learn the course; the only hard part of stage one is the left turn, right turn, left turn near the end of the course and when you recognize that it's coming up you can blaze through it by snaking as close to a straight line as possible. But until you manage it, read the street signs and slow down when you see the one that isn't a pure left or right.

And most of all, have fun! It's a great game!

brawly

I didn't know that you could do combination shots in rotation, playing pool (you can sink any number if you hit the assigned number first).

Changes everything.

adamsapple

It's a lot of standing around in my office now just racking up money to fill out my skill trees.
I looked up prices of the last zone and I can see that happening to me too, so far I try and pass the monotony by doing missing sub stories and fighting Mr shakedowns.

Floody

I just farmed Mr. Shakedown while waiting. Ended up with over 400 billion yen though and don't really have anything else to spend it on.

EndMerit

Snip snip

That's 100% the style I've been using all along. It works flawlessly with Kiryu and pretty solidly with Majima, but it brings me back to my issues of Majima having lower damage output and taking longer to recover from his attack animations. Usually after doing his rush attack Mr. S waits like 5-ish seconds before starting his next attack, but since every now and then he begins almost immediately after rushing, I feel like you just have to take the hit if Majima's attack animation is still playing. Kiryu has that extra 0.5-1 second to dodge, since his attacks are generally faster and more compact.

I guess I should mention that Mr. S is already on purple healthbar and drops over 1 000 000 000, so his swing-to-stomp combo is already sure 1HKO.

did they remove fantasy zone from the non-japanes versions? or am i too stupid to find it?

Complete the friendship gauge
at the arcade in Sotenbori with Majima. Play a game of Space Harrier and then lose all your lives and then quit. Then come back and do it again.

Doing the same thing with Kiryu
gives you Super Hang-On.

S1kkZ

Play Space Harrier as Majima, you need to work through a substory to get it. Similarly with Kiryu, play Out-Run.

many thanks. wow, even more stuff to unlock.

another question: it looksl ike i am heading torwards the end of the story. will i be able to get back and do all the missing side-stuff? or do i have to re-start a new game +?

Jeb

Fuck.

Left the game on for an errand and when I return, the heat gauge wont work, its always empty.

Tried hitting, using items, saving, closing the ps4 and loading but still does not work

N° 2048

There's so much to do in this game, damn.

o_O might just finish story and do Premium Mode to do side quests in different clothes.

Menitta

I bought up to the 5 Mil a part during chapter 2. No way to make that then so had to move on, which bummed me out. I was really into pocket cars and had to move on.

I kinda wish they introduced it later on, because it's one of the properties you get way later on in the Real Estate story, and by then you'll be making up to half a billion every collection. Either that or make the prices cheaper.

another question: it looksl ike i am heading torwards the end of the story. will i be able to get back and do all the missing side-stuff? or do i have to re-start a new game +?
Quoting myself here.
You can ALSO do a new game + if you wish.

Also Legendary difficulty will be unlocked but only for a fresh playthrough.

Floody

Fuck.

Left the game on for an errand and when I return, the heat gauge wont work, its always empty.

Tried hitting, using items, saving, closing the ps4 and loading but still does not work

Do you have a item that always makes you calm? Can't remember what it's called but It stops heat from building.

8bit

Knows the Score

Once you're done, select Premium Adventure from the main menu. It'll pop you back in with everything you've achieved so far.

Reminder that regardless of how you feel about the game, do try to take the survey for the game to tell the wonderful people at Atlus/SEGA how you feel about the game.

Highlight Yakuza 0 in the XMB main menu, and then press down on the D-Pad to see the option.

Wow, after the brilliant introduction to The Grand and Majime its pretty slow until you go get a massage. Then I got hooked again.

Plus shirtless Majime is best Majime.

Just keep stocking up on health replenishing items and play it safe and you can definitely do that.

In fact, to be frank, I feel like that's the way the game SHOULD be played because the story's pacing can feel off if you just meander all the time and this is one story that's worth blazing through.

You can play all the additional side stuff in Premium Adventure mode after ending the game.

Cool, thank's a lot!

Top Bottom