• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

in which chapter does the game start letting me send as much money as I want between Kyriu and Majima?

I had fucking 5 billion in my pocket and the game wouldn't let me, telling me I can send more at a later chapter. Why even introduce this mechanic this early and not let me use it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for that Miracle Johnson theme. It's stuck in my head even while I'm away from home on a trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWGH_T381aw
in which chapter does the game start letting me send as much money as I want between Kyriu and Majima?

I had fucking 5 billion in my pocket and the game wouldn't let me, telling me I can send more at a later chapter. Why even introduce this mechanic this early and not let me use it.
When you send money from one dude to another, you need to then send money with the other character. It's a bit silly but yeah...

Sapientas

*takes a deep breath*

Mangan = 5 han
Haneman = 6 or 7 han

A 'han', for the lack of a better word, is a hurdle or a condition that you fulfill.

So if I won with the following hand:

Riichi = declared riichi for all to see = 1 Han
Tsumo = you drew your own winning tile = 1 han
Ippatsu = got your winning tile within one turn = 1 han
Pinfu = all simples, didn't use a single wind or dragon tile = 1 han
Dora = you have a Dora tile = 1 han

^ is a Mangan hand because I cleared 5 conditions. More difficult conditions are worth more han.

I think you have to form a hand worth 5 or more Hans. Basically you'll want to either go for big hands or try and form hands that include the current round's dora. The round's dora is indicated by the tiles in the center. The tile revealed determines that round's Dora, and whatever is revealed means the tile after that in sequence is the Dora tile. Hands formed with that tile are worth an extra Han for each tile in your hand if you win. The sequence is shown in the Rules section if you press triangle for explanations. 1 dora Is revealed at the start with more revealed if a kan is exposed (4 of a kind). Turn on the Red Dora option to change some tiles to have red variants which add even more chances at the Dora bonus. There's also an Ura-Dora bonus that I'm not quite sure I understand but you can only get it by winning via Riichi.

I'm no Mahjong expert but understanding how Doras work and learning how to form relatively basic hands was enough to get the Mahjong CP for me.

Thanks guys. I understand it now. Seems to be a good idea to turn on the Red Dora then to make bigger points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWGH_T381aw
When you send money from one dude to another, you need to then send money with the other character. It's a bit silly but yeah...

just seems like a pain. Should've let me send money willy nilly as I already have Majima at a point I'm comfortable in leaving him except for maybe a billion more in the legendary style, but Kyriu absolutely sucks right now skills wise and I don't want to deal with trying to gain money properly from the real estate business.

Not only that, but I wouldn't mind if Mr Shakedown appeared more often but I've been coming in and out of stores then running around town and I can't find him

Rymuth

There's also an Ura-Dora bonus that I'm not quite sure I understand but you can only get it by winning via Riichi..
The 4 Dora tiles placed at the center of the table are actually stacked on top of another 4 Dora tiles. These are the Ura-Dora's and they're only revealed when someone wins by declaring riichi.

image009.png

JJShadow

Just beat Isobe in the last Dance Battle for Majima, that was hard! Final score was 6880 vs 6855, I couldn't believe it lol I finally got the hang of the timing and managed to pull a full combo without missing any steps :D

Game didn't grab me at first but by end of first chapter I am in

Give it time, it has a sloooow start but once in Chapter 2 you will be overwhelmed by minigames, substories and side activities, there's so much to do, and substories are hilarious. And that story, THAT STORY

Zanzura

just seems like a pain. Should've let me send money willy nilly as I already have Majima at a point I'm comfortable in leaving him except for maybe a billion more in the legendary style, but Kyriu absolutely sucks right now skills wise and I don't want to deal with trying to gain money properly from the real estate business.

Not only that, but I wouldn't mind if Mr Shakedown appeared more often but I've been coming in and out of stores then running around town and I can't find him

If you want to hunt Mr. Shakedown, put on the Encounter Finder if you have one and you'll find him easily on the radar as he has his own unique arrow icon. You'll also see the enemy spawns happening on the radar and should be able to figure out what part of the environment triggers a respawn. Or just do the usual enter/exit of a building, whichever you prefer.

If you don't have an Encounter Finder, you can get it from a substory specific to each character. For Kiryu it's for completing the Miracle Johnson set of quests (substory #23) and selecting the black box. For Majima it's for helping that dude with the douchey jacket at the east bridge (substory #58).

The 4 Dora tiles placed at the center of the table are actually stacked on top of another 4 Dora tiles. These are the Ura-Dora's and they're only revealed when someone wins by declaring riichi.

image009.png

Ah, that explains the random extra Dora bonuses I was getting...

mike6467

When can I max out the bowling friendship?
I finished chapter 5 and have all the real estate stuff unlocked, but no options for the tournament

IrishNinja

Electronics King is down! i'm gonna bear the shame of losing in OutRun forever, but god knows ive sucked at that game since the master system

already have 55% or so of gambling king's baller-ass territory so i might just tackle that next, pleasure queen can stay seated.

also goddamn does kazzy have a lotta substories, i can't walk down the street without having to fetch a poor sex worker some pizza or something

related news: i'm never finishing chapter 6

Aki-at

I finished chapter 5 and have all the real estate stuff unlocked, but no options for the tournament

It started for me from chapter 5. Is your friendship with her high enough to initiate it? She'll say something like "Get ready for a tournament soon" when you're one bar away from filling it, walk in after that and you should trigger the event.

mike6467

It started for me from chapter 5. Is your friendship with her high enough to initiate it? She'll say something like "Get ready for a tournament soon" when you're one bar away from filling it, walk in after that and you should trigger the event.

Ugh, yeah it's one bar away from being done, and she mentioned the tournament, but nothing is triggering, hope it's not bugged. Or maybe I've only tried in the chapters where it isn't available? Weird.

It's tied to one of the real estate districts, I can't remember if it's the 2nd or 3rd but you have to advance your shares. If you stick with doing the real estate you should get it. When you go back to the bowling alley you'll be able to advance it from there.

Played couple of hours, really liking it so far. I wasn't sure if I wanted a cutscene heavy game at this point, but I am enjoying myself.

Ugh, yeah it's one bar away from being done, and she mentioned the tournament, but nothing is triggering, hope it's not bugged. Or maybe I've only tried in the chapters where it isn't available? Weird.
You have to beat the first king in the real estate activity.

I really didn't care for Majima before this game (having played a bit of 1, 2, 3 and all of 4), and I love him after two chapters. And then... that cliffhanger. Goddamn.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im 74 hours in now, i accepted that ill never platinum this game, but i still love it, will buy yakuza 1 remake this summer for sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is really such a good game. I'm in chapter 5. I'm kind of sad that I know good characters like Oda don't stick around in future iterations! And I love the setup...legit Kiryu selling real estate. ARGHHHH!

Anyway I wonder if this can sell 100k.

It actually feels the most Shenmue like Yakuza to me. Other than maybe 3. It even has QTEs! Like actual QTEs.

This is really such a good game. I'm in chapter 5. I'm kind of sad that I know good characters like Oda don't stick around in future iterations! And I love the setup...legit Kiryu selling real estate. ARGHHHH!

Anyway I wonder if this can sell 100k.

It actually feels the most Shenmue like Yakuza to me. Other than maybe 3. It even has QTEs! Like actual QTEs.
Yakuza's had QTEs since Yakuza 1.

Y2Kev

Yakuza's had QTEs since Yakuza 1.

No, it hasn't. It's had press button on screen

This has actual QTEs! Which are like sequences where you run down a street and you have to press buttons in time to smash people.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

Menitta

Does boost mode affect this game much?

The only performance issues that are really noticeable are screen tearing and some frame drops when walking around either cities, particularly at night.

It's a solid 1080p 60fps most of the time. I don't have a pro so I can't confirm if boost fixes that or not.

Y2Kev

I have it on boost mode and have no tearing or drops at all.

I'm sad Y6 goes back to 30 fps, doesn't it?

No, it hasn't. It's had press button on screen

This has actual QTEs! Which are like sequences where you run down a street and you have to press buttons in time to smash people.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

If you say so.

I have it on boost mode and have no tearing or drops at all.

I'm sad Y6 goes back to 30 fps, doesn't it?
It does but most impressions seem to be that it's worth the hit for the sake of next to no loading times and seamless combat and exploration. Also the Pro version of that game runs at 1080p (I believe base runs at 900p) and has no issues with screen tearing which the base version seems to have.

Revven

The cabaret club stuff has me totally locked in chapter 7 atm. I want to complete the entirety of it before moving on unlike Kiryu's real estate stuff (which I'll probably continue and go towards completion of it when I get back to Kiryu). But I can see why people find the cabaret club more compelling: there's an actual mini-game tied to it where you're actually managing the club unlike the real estate where it's all passive and going on in the background; you're not really that involved in the money that gets made like you are with the cabaret club.

It's also nice you get a billion yen for each one you take over. Makes getting Majima's abilities unlocked quicker/easier than Kiryu where the reward/money isn't just handed to you. But then again, Majima's abilities are all way cheaper than Kiryu.

EndMerit

That damn purple haired grandma is back, and she wants to work at my club!
Good luck with that lady, you're going to spend rest of your life standing on that street.

Good luck with that lady, you're going to spend rest of your life standing on that street.

Please come back once you've spent some time with the mode and let's see how you feel about her then.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Boost mode works wonders for this game. It was already 60fps most of the time but now it's a solid 60 with basically no tearing at all.

Peroroncino

Duuuude, do not underestimate her value to come, lol! :D

btw. END GAME SPOILERS!

I can't get over how effin' good this fight is, with
both of them talking how there can be only one dragon, charging at each other with Shibusawa shouting KIRYUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! You can almost feel his jello towards him being the potential dragon. And then at the end Kiryu shouting "Shibusawaa!" just before the finishing punch, B E A U T I F U L!

Duuuude, do not underestimate her value to come, lol! :D

btw. END GAME SPOILERS!

I can't get over how effin' good this fight is, with
both of them talking how there can be only one dragon, charging at each other with Shibusawa shouting KIRYUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! You can almost feel his jello towards him being the potential dragon. And then at the end Kiryu shouting Shibusawaa! Just before the finishing punch, B E A U T I F U L!

END GAME SPOILERS

"You can keep the cute nickname"
I literally shouted at that line.
It was so brutal too, as they were transitioning from stage to stage. Also GODDAMN IT, THAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR NISHIKI.
It's gonna make going back to the story of 1 even more of a challenge. That guy :(

Also the music was LEGIT.

Peroroncino

END GAME SPOILERS

"You can keep the cute nickname"
I literally shouted at that line.
It was so brutal too, as they were transitioning from stage to stage. Also GODDAMN IT, THAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR NISHIKI.
It's gonna make going back to the story of 1 even more of a challenge. That guy :(

Also the music was LEGIT.

Oh most definitely, everybody who doesn't know story of Y1 is gonna have a blast with Kiwami after 0, the setup for it is just amazing after great characterization of friendship between Kiryu and Nishiki in 0.

Yeah, the music is godlike, I still listen to it on a daily basis, along with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurwitwpuUU

Top Bottom