• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Jesus, Cabarat Club management is so addicting. I've barely advanced the story since I unlocked it. Beat the first 3 stars so far. Are they supposed to be so easy to beat though? Thus far I've always challenged them as soon as I could and beat them each time first try with a huge lead. I litterally had more then double the money made than the Club Mercury guy lol.

Menitta

Yesterday I thought to myself "I wish i could build my own pocket circuit track. Nah, they'd never go that in depth."

Oh my god this game. This fucking game. Keeps. On. Giving.

Wunder

Can someone give me an in-depth FAQ on the real estate management stuff? I think I understand the basics, but there's a couple things that I don't really get.

So for managers/security, their influence table progresses every time you start a payout with them assigned, right? I figured all your managers would progress together, so you can swap out the ones that have negative scores, but only the singular staff progresses. How does it work for someone like Papillon Kato where he has 3 -2s then a 4, do I just have to eat 3 -2 payouts to get that +4?

For Advisors, what's the difference between two guys that have a O but one costs more? Do I just go for the cheaper guy all the time?

Kyrios

Yesterday I thought to myself "I wish i could build my own pocket circuit track. Nah, they'd never go that in depth."

Oh my god this game. This fucking game. Keeps. On. Giving.

I know right? lol It's like just when you think it stops, the game goes "Nope, here ya go, have fun!"

Sapientas

Can someone explain to me what is Mangan and Haneman on Mahjong?

I've tried reading it online, but all I find are scoring explanations so I'm not sure what the game means with "Go out with Mangan 5 times".

I looked at the genre this game has on Wikipedia. "Action adventure". I don't remember this game being mentioned as a RPG, but to me this is a classic RPG. ARPG if you want to be specific. It's more of a Role-Playing Game than many games that get that title. It has a deep story, characters you get to make choices for and roleplay as, plus the typical skill trees, loot system, side missions, and upgrading. It's probably the best RPG I've played since Persona 3, even though I don't typically like ARPGs.

Just finished the game.
I feel like from chapter 11 on there was hardly time for side quests. Or maybe I was just so into the story that I focused on that. But the second half of the game rushed by.

I'm only on Ch. 6, but still find the narrative nags to make it hard to do side quests. I try to roleplay the characters, so I won't spend five hours doing minigames if there's some serious shit going down in the plot, but I have to do them sometime. Last night I was at a point in the plot where it told me to turn in for the night. Nah, I'll do some stuff first, so I opened up the Cat Fight Club and wasted some time and money there, and when I came out I got a popup message saying, "Congrats on opening up the Club, now you REALLY need to go to bed because you have a big day tomorrow." Like wtf, is Kiryu 12 years old here? Why does this game constantly nag with the story like that? There's no game mechanic penalty for staying out too late. Probably the only thing that annoys me about the game (besides the Cat Fight Club).

I'm only on Ch. 6, but still find the narrative nags to make it hard to do side quests. I try to roleplay the characters, so I won't spend five hours doing minigames if there's some serious shit going down in the plot, but I have to do them sometime. Last night I was at a point in the plot where it told me to turn in for the night. Nah, I'll do some stuff first, so I opened up the Cat Fight Club and wasted some time and money there, and when I came out I got a popup message saying, "Congrats on opening up the Club, now you REALLY need to go to bed because you have a big day tomorrow." Like wtf, is Kiryu 12 years old here? Why does this game constantly nag with the story like that? There's no game mechanic penalty for staying out too late. Probably the only thing that annoys me about the game (besides the Cat Fight Club).
I don't feel like the game nags you. Mainly it's like "hey cool man, go here if you wanna progress the story but it's alright if you value darts more than the life of your friend and stuff, totally cool! "

Menitta

Can I ask what your car customization was for the last race? I'm currently at fighting the last/best racer, and can't seem to beat him with my set up.

I used the KHH subs guide, but I may have used a slightly different setup for the last one. One thing is for sure is that I ended up buying every single part the shop had beforehand.

Ultra Slim Tires
Ultra Metal Frame
Godspeed motor
Super Godspeed Gears
High capacity battery
no stabilizer
Medium suspension (though you may want heavy)
and bumper plate

With this setup, you may have to mash circle a few times, but some of them won't require too much and you'll still stay on the track.

I was also using the Killer Bee cart.

8bit

Knows the Score
For Advisors, what's the difference between two guys that have a O but one costs more? Do I just go for the cheaper guy all the time?

I *think* that the more expensive ones give you a greater buff towards S class. Might be wrong though.

I looked at the genre this game has on Wikipedia. "Action adventure". I don't remember this game being mentioned as a RPG, but to me this is a classic RPG. ARPG if you want to be specific. It's more of a Role-Playing Game than many games that get that title. It has a deep story, characters you get to make choices for and roleplay as, plus the typical skill trees, loot system, side missions, and upgrading. It's probably the best RPG I've played since Persona 3, even though I don't typically like ARPGs.

It's an objective reminder so people who leave the game for a while and come back to it later on, don't feel completely lost.

Anyway, this is the first ever Yakuza thread on GAF to have +100 pages! This is an actual record guys!

Rymuth

I've tried reading it online, but all I find are scoring explanations so I'm not sure what the game means with "Go out with Mangan 5 times".
*takes a deep breath*

Mangan = 5 han
Haneman = 6 or 7 han

A 'han', for the lack of a better word, is a hurdle or a condition that you fulfill.

So if I won with the following hand:

Riichi = declared riichi for all to see = 1 Han
Tsumo = you drew your own winning tile = 1 han
Ippatsu = got your winning tile within one turn = 1 han
Pinfu = all simples, didn't use a single wind or dragon tile = 1 han
Dora = you have a Dora tile = 1 han

^ is a Mangan hand because I cleared 5 conditions. More difficult conditions are worth more han.

It's an objective reminder so people who leave the game for a while and come back to it later on, don't feel completely lost.

Anyway, this is the first ever Yakuza thread on GAF to have +100 pages! This is an actual record guys!
I can't wait for some concrete stats on how it's sold. I am confident that this will be the highest selling Yakuza in the west!!

Cart makes no difference, it's purely aesthetic.

Yeah, but the objective reminder is always available from the options screen, so it just feels intrusive. I know it's a minor thing to get irritated about, but I guess that speaks to how good the game is otherwise.

Menitta

I can't wait for some concrete stats on how it's sold. I am confident that this will be the highest selling Yakuza in the west!!

Cart makes no difference, it's purely aesthetic.

Well, Killer Bee is the coolest! :p

AFD85054D05045B24E0BBD0CC7077367C6CE0C4E

I can't beat mr shakedown!!!
Treat it like a Soulsborne boss. Learn his patterns, figure out the correct spacings. It's a cakewalk if you figure that out. Also I personally try to not use heat moves until after he's activated that orange glow of his.
Well, Killer Bee is the coolest! :p
Can't argue with cool/intimidation factor.

Don't fight honorably!
He certainly doesn't.

I used the KHH subs guide, but I may have used a slightly different setup for the last one. One thing is for sure is that I ended up buying every single part the shop had beforehand.

Ultra Slim Tires
Ultra Metal Frame
Godspeed motor
Super Godspeed Gears
High capacity battery
no stabilizer
Medium suspension (though you may want heavy)
and bumper plate

With this setup, you may have to mash circle a few times, but some of them won't require too much and you'll still stay on the track.

Thank you so much! :)

Zanzura

I think you have to form a hand worth 5 or more Hans. Basically you'll want to either go for big hands or try and form hands that include the current round's dora. The round's dora is indicated by the tiles in the center. The tile revealed determines that round's Dora, and whatever is revealed means the tile after that in sequence is the Dora tile. Hands formed with that tile are worth an extra Han for each tile in your hand if you win. The sequence is shown in the Rules section if you press triangle for explanations. 1 dora Is revealed at the start with more revealed if a kan is exposed (4 of a kind). Turn on the Red Dora option to change some tiles to have red variants which add even more chances at the Dora bonus. There's also an Ura-Dora bonus that I'm not quite sure I understand but you can only get it by winning via Riichi.

I'm no Mahjong expert but understanding how Doras work and learning how to form relatively basic hands was enough to get the Mahjong CP for me.

Use a style that has good quicksteps and bait his charge attack that he does at mid-range frequently to get an easy square>triangle attack in. Alternatively you can stay close to him and bait out his wild 360 spin attack for a large opening to get a decent combo in. There's also several cheesy methods you can use such as shooting him with elemental guns like the Zap gun or buying a shit ton of tauriners/staminans and spamming weapon heat actions (be sure to pick one with a short draw time i.e. not nunchuks). If you get knocked down, it's possible to survive by mashing Options and using a healing item while downed, but it's possible you'll still die regardless, especially if he's enraged. If you have sacrifice stones or stones of enduring, use them, especially if you're just trying to learn his patterns at first.

Repost of a vid I made a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDWG7duUhA

This is against the final variant of Mr. Shakedown where he adds in quicksteps to fake you out, if you haven't beaten him yet, he won't be doing them.

I know you were trying to find this game for 40$ previously but this series is consistently one of the best 60$ packages these days.

Get everything in one disc, any patch is usually bugfixes and small. There is a LOT of game here. Unique, fun to play, compelling story and tons of side content and replayability make this a game for the ages!!

You are in for a treat.

sn00zer

I know you were trying to find this game for 40$ previously but this series is consistently one of the best 60$ packages these days.

Get everything in one disc, any patch is usually bugfixes and small. There is a LOT of game here. Unique, fun to play, compelling story and tons of side content and replayability make this a game for the ages!!

You are in for a treat.
Oh I know. I got into the series with y4 which is what put me over the edge thinking jhow much time I would put into it.

I was hoping that John could give us a little bit of insight. Come on John, where are you at, Kyodai?

Yeah, but the objective reminder is always available from the options screen, so it just feels intrusive. I know it's a minor thing to get irritated about, but I guess that speaks to how good the game is otherwise.
I hear you.

Evade his charge attack and throw a couple of punches and evade, if he blocks the first one or evades your first punch, just get the fuck out of there. He has an attack in which he kinda stumbles and leaves his back open, throw a full combo on Rush/Thug style and evade.

You want to attack in these 2 ocasions, mostly, just keep evading any other attack.

How big is the community thread?

Currently at 50 pages.

How do I meet the other telephone girls? They keep giving me
the nurse and office woman
Be mindful of the colour underwear of the girl and the voice.

3 colours = Light Blue, Green and White.

Each colour has a date, a
Sakura (lady messing with you. It's the same thing for each colour so if you get duped once, that's it for the substory)
and an
"unpleasant encounter" which makes a total of 7 unique encounters

You'll have to judge by the voice. Usually the more
younger voices are the dates
. You can also get repeats, including dates.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are you supposed to pick a stance and kinda stick with it for the whole battle, or are there scenarios where changing mid-battle is worthwhile? It might not matter much on Normal I guess

Are you supposed to pick a stance and kinda stick with it for the whole battle, or are there scenarios where changing mid-battle is worthwhile? It might not matter much on Normal I guess
On Normal, you can kinda breeze through it with one style tbh. There's an item in the game that lets you change cancel any move into a stance change and stance changes take a fraction of the in-game time allowing you to do stuff like Beast mode finisher and then cancel into rush, dash behind them and keep pummeling them.

I personally find it a lot more enjoyable to keep mixing things up.

I see that this has already been resolved, but if you wanna get even more out of Kiryu's fighting styles then I advice you to get the style switching accessory from the shrine.
xDQ8F7Y.gif

Your choice. I like switching just for the heck of it. But for example, I like using Rush mode to build heat (when upgraded its insanely useful for building heat really quick by swaying and dodging), maybe switching to beast mode if there is a large group of enemies around and utilising the larger heavy weapons for crowd control then dropping back to the other two styles to finish off the last couple of enemies. Also, I like to switch stances based on the heat moves I have. The enemies aren't that dangerous that you absolutely have to use certain stances unless your using beast mode and the enemy has guns/grenades (in which case you need a faster more agile style), just use whatever works best for you.

Menitta

The fact that this game has a Yugioh Abridged reference is the best thing ever. Whoever put that in the translation deserves a promotion.

The fact that this game has a Yugioh Abridged reference is the best thing ever. Whoever put that in the translation deserves a promotion.

The dialogue also feels unabashedly 80s too. "catch you on the flip side". Like they REALLY didn't have to put that in but I appreciate that they did.

Zanzura

It can be worthwhile to switch styles, usually for Heat action opportunities. The Beast style for example has heat actions for stunned opponents but AFAIK can't really stun with any normal combos. The Rush style however, can stun with about 7-10 hits from normal attacks. So you stun an opponent, switch to Beast immediately, and press triangle to get a Heat action that can take out a group of enemies. While the Rush style has its own Heat action for stunned enemies, it does less damage than the one the Beast does. Then there's the obvious factors to consider like if there are weapons lying about, are enemies surrounding you easily, etc.

Then there's the quick change accessory from the shrine which is neat if you want to pseudo-DMC some fools.

Top Bottom