• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Oh most definitely, everybody who doesn't know story of Y1 is gonna have a blast with Kiwami after 0, the setup for it is just amazing after great characterization of friendship between Kiryu and Nishiki in 0.

Yeah, the music is godlike, I still listen to it on a daily basis, along with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurwitwpuUU
Also gotta give props to this song, which plays during
the assault on the ship/assault at Dojima headquarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3zFhyhmE6k

I thought Yakuza 3's
Clay Doll on the Cradle couldn't be topped for that final "build up to the main boss" music, but man they pulled it off.

hey guys this question is for those that finished the game:
there's a plot point that i'm confused about. when awano was talking to Kiryu after he had the Akira sewer tunnel scene w/ Kuze. Awano shoots the girl he's dancing with and gave an ultimatum to join him or walk out and outside there's a bunch of yakuza waiting outside waiting to shoot him. but when he walks outside there's no one. Kiryu looks confused and so was i. Why would Awano bluff and why weren't there Yakuza outside having the place surrounded? i could never figure why Awano did that...

Omg, Fighter and Ogita are kicking my ass. Somebody halp. =(

Not only do I have zero sympathy for what happens to Ogita later, I think he now fully deserves all of it. =|

25 hours in and only on Chapter 7. Must have spent a good 20 hours of that doing the Substories, haha. They're real good. Favourites so far are the Dominatrix one, Miracle Johnson ones, the video game getting stolen again and again and again and the naughty vending machine stealth mission one requested by the little kid (made me laugh out loud at it).

hey guys this question is for those that finished the game:
there's a plot point that i'm confused about. when awano was talking to Kiryu after he had the Akira sewer tunnel scene w/ Kuze. Awano shoots the girl he's dancing with and gave an ultimatum to join him or walk out and outside there's a bunch of yakuza waiting outside waiting to shoot him. but when he walks outside there's no one. Kiryu looks confused and so was i. Why would Awano bluff and why weren't there Yakuza outside having the place surrounded?
Because
Awano legitimately thought that a man of such convictions as Kiryu would buckle when he tried to threaten Kiryu's family and the orphanage. If this was older Kiryu, hell it might even have worked temporarily.

But younger Kiryu was headstrong and didn't give a fuck. Even Awano didn't see that coming and expected his bluff to work. It was a bit weird that there were literally no Yakuza outside but hey, Kiryu did beat up like dozens of them.

EndMerit

Please come back once you've spent some time with the mode and let's see how you feel about her then.

Hahaha, I was about to say the same. Obatarian is a beast!

Duuuude, do not underestimate her value to come, lol! :D

Cuts me off in line several times, calls me pervert in the middle of a busy street, and when I save her from getting stabbed to death she steals my child-like innocence by forcing herself on me...
Only break she's getting from me is her neck. you know what, that's actually pretty dark from me.
I still hate her though.

Ferrio

Banned
Going to start this up shortly.

I haven't played a Yakuza game since 1, which I beat but I was pretty luke warm on it. I watched someone play through Yakuza 5 a while ago and I was surprised on how far the series had evolved. So I'm looking forward to this, after watching the insanity that was 5 I'm expecting greatness.

Because
Awano legitimately thought that a man of such convictions as Kiryu would buckle when he tried to threaten Kiryu's family and the orphanage. If this was older Kiryu, hell it might even have worked temporarily.

But younger Kiryu was headstrong and didn't give a fuck. Even Awano didn't see that coming and expected his bluff to work. It was a bit weird that there were literally no Yakuza outside but hey, Kiryu did beat up like dozens of them.

why was it a bluff... that's the head scratcher... i mean Kiryu was running from them. was this some kind of secret meeting where Awano was doing something covert outside of Yakuza orders... hmmm. it looks like Kuze was a decent guy after all since he was trying to untie Tachibana and he wasn't the one that set up Kiryu but got his finger cut off for it. i kinda liked Kuze by the end =)

why was it a bluff... that's the head scratcher... i mean Kiryu was running from them. was this some kind of secret meeting where Awano was doing something covert outside of Yakuza orders... hmmm. it looks like Kuze was a decent guy after all since he was trying to untie Tachibana and he wasn't the one that set up Kiryu but got his finger cut off for it. i kinda liked Kuze by the end =)
I assume it was self gain. Even Awano saw that this kid has been on an absolute rampage and has already beat the shit out of Kuze. And the mere fact that he walked through that door and into the club means he just beat Kuze AGAIN. All the lieutenants had one thing in common. They could spot potential. First Kuze wanted him to join his side, and then Awano. Only Shibusawa was the one who saw that Kiryu will only be a thorn in his side and will never follow him.

During Majima's fight with Awano, we see that he realizes how soft he's become. He'd rather recruit fresh blood to do his bidding for him rather than beat the shit out of him as was expected of him as Yakuza.

I assume it was also a bluff partly to see what Kiryu would do next should he have refused. My theory is that Shibusawa TOLD Awano to do that, because letting him go would lead them to Tachibana or Kazama or whoever else was helping them. At least that's my theory.

And I agree on Kuze. Kuze was the classic Yakuza to a fault. He'd gladly let himself get his ass beat, fight alone in situations where he ideally would have backup and would generally do what he thought was RIGHT instead of what was expected of him.

Awano was the Yakuza who'd become tempered because of the "cushyness" of the times that he lived in, a statement on the times that Japan was in. That they were starting to lose their edge. But when it came time to fight, one punch could come DANGEROUSLY FUCKING CLOSE TO BREAKING A WALL LIKE WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

And Shibusawa was the one who would stop at nothing to achieve his goals. The Politician.

Honestly, all these characters are crafted SO DAMN WELL. Especially Sagawa.

Menitta

I feel like I should know who
that guy who stole Makoto
is. Like he looks super familiar. Was he in past games?

Ugh, I'm so sad I've been missing out on this thread. Every spare moment I get in jumping into the game, but I've only gotten a little ways into Chapter 3. So happy to see this exploding the way it has though, can't say that enough.

I feel like I should know who
that guy who stole Makoto
is. Like he looks super familiar. Was he in past games?

Just keep playing and the game will reveal all.

If you seriously can't wait, I'll drop a little hint.

He only appears in Yakuza 1.

What's the -han honorific? I think it was used right at the beginning of
Majima's first chapter when he's speaking to the owner of the club
. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

What's the -han honorific? I think it was used right at the beginning of
Majima's first chapter when he's speaking to the owner of the club
. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.
If I'm not mistaken (which I most likely am), It's the Korean equivalent of -san.

Toki767

My only main gripe about the game so far is that you just kind of have to come across side quests rather than having options on the map showing where they are.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the game. Just got to Chapter 3 and that was an incredible introduction.

SkylineRKR

That hag is a shit character, but she's a great asset to the cabaret.

I like Fever Time though, its such a wrong 80's tune.

Ok fuck this.

Stopping for today. Kyriu's town is a much bigger pain in the ass to search for Mr Shakedown. And I have zero interest to do the real estate side story without a huge amount of money to invest with to begin with.

So I'm hoping next time i play as Majima I can send him all of my money.

Shin-Ra

32712940555_71f76939a5_o.png

Twisted... but I like it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ok fuck this.

Stopping for today. Kyriu's town is a much bigger pain in the ass to search for Mr Shakedown. And I have zero interest to do the real estate side story without a huge amount of money to invest with to begin with.

Why is it easier as Majima? Because sotenburi is easier?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The most unbelievable bullshit Yakuza series has ever spewed

that you can get the mcdonalds lady to order you pizza

If I'm not mistaken (which I most likely am), It's the Korean equivalent of -san.

Kansai Dialect, I think.
Majima sections take place in Osaka

Thanks!

Ok fuck this.

Are you getting the money enhancements from the temple? You grab more from fights, guys with more money appear, and increases the likelihood of finding Mr. Shakedown in specific locations.

Mediking

My only complaints are this game can be super text heavy at times which can ruin the rhythm of the game... which makes me play it in bite sized amounts instead of a super long session.

Also not being able to save anywhere is a criminal sin in this game.

SkylineRKR

I read Hang-On is in this game, must've overlooked it? I guess its in Kamurocho.

Also, 8 mil in Space Harrier. I never got this far in this game (level 6 ish) and the controls feel borked here.

Why is it easier as Majima? Because sotenburi is easier?

Maybe it's the way the town is set up. It's two equally divided portions with 2/3 major roads in each. You can go down the main roads much faster. In this version there are so many secondary side streets he could also appear in.

I fought both of the Mr Shakedowns as Majima fairly often to the point I finished their main stories. As Kyriu I've only seen them... twice? It's harder to be near them or something. I need the item to find them because I'm not seeing them.

Thanks!

Are you getting the money enhancements from the temple? You grab more from fights, guys with more money appear, and increases the likelihood of finding Mr. Shakedown in specific locations.

I'm missing the one that cost 10 CP (i think it's level 4)

vilmer_

My only complaints are this game can be super text heavy at times which can ruin the rhythm of the game... which makes me play it in bite sized amounts instead of a super long session.

Also not being able to save anywhere is a criminal sin in this game.

There's literally phone booths at every other corner.

Last week this game was all about a gripping crime drama, now it's all about bowling for turkeys between real estate management.
Okay I got Nugget and bested Electronics King, maybe just maybe I can consider continuing the story now...but I want more Beast style power!

I read Hang-On is in this game, must've overlooked it? I guess its in Kamurocho.

Also, 8 mil in Space Harrier. I never got this far in this game (level 6 ish) and the controls feel borked here.
You have to unlock it with Kiryu. Play Outrun with him in the small club Sega until you've maxed out the friendship gauge.

Similarly, Majima can unlock Fantasy Zone by playing Space Harrier and filling his friendship gauge in Sotenbori's Sega club.

Clive

Question about the Friendship with Fighter of the Pocket Racing:
I put the game down yesterday just as he ran off somewhere but I kind of forgot what was said about where he went now. Anyone remember where he ran off to?

Chapter 9, 44% completion and 45 hours. Loving almost every second of it, except that damn disco minigame. Impossible!

Frimaire

Question about the Friendship with Fighter of the Pocket Racing:
I put the game down yesterday just as he ran off somewhere but I kind of forgot what was said about where he went now. Anyone remember where he ran off to?

Chapter 9, 44% completion and 45 hours. Loving almost every second of it, except that damn disco minigame. Impossible!

Public Park #3, near your Real Estate office and just below Bacchus.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you make a lot of money from working with green suit Vincent man? Or is it a waste of time?

SkylineRKR

You have to unlock it with Kiryu. Play Outrun with him in the small club Sega until you've maxed out the friendship gauge.

Similarly, Majima can unlock Fantasy Zone by playing Space Harrier and filling his friendship gauge in Sotenbori's Sega club.

Almost done doing the latter. Gonna work on the former, Outrun is my jam anyway.

Top Bottom