• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Played a good chunk tonight and I gotta be honest...As a casual player on chapter 12, the combat is really souring me on the game. I haven't bumped it down to easy yet but man there's something about the dodge in this game that really throws me off. I'm so defeated to the point that if I miss a dodge and get punched, I'll just take the full combo cause it's not worth the frustration.

Maybe try mixing up when you dodge? With Kiryu in Rush style, I can pretty much destroy anyone by doing Square Square Square, X+(left/right), Square Square Square, rinse and repeat. They usually can't recover. Or if you're just fighting one dude, hold R1 to lock on them as you X, X, X around him until you're behind him and can wail away. Dodging with multiple enemies can be more tricky, but what tends to work for me is quickstepping to the outside of the pile, take on one dude, then quickstep away if they try to surround you again. Also changing directions of your punches can be effective at keeping multiple people at bay (i.e. throwing a couple punches at enemy A, then changing direction as you throw the third punch so it'll hit the guy behind you).

Sometimes I get tired of dodging though and just use Beast style for clobberin' time.

Vorheez

I feel like Beast is a little OP once you get a hold of something decent... Just becomes "mash square to win" at that point lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I gotta say that Kiryu's Rush style, while it starts out great, becomes less and less useful until
the fifth fight with Kuze, when it easily becomes the most useful style as you constantly bob and weave between each other's attacks.

I never did anything past the second training though so maybe I missed some heat moves.

I think the key to the fighting staying fresh is 1) unlocking new skills, but also switching styles in the middle of combat as the situation changes. Using the shirt that allows quick-switching of styles makes this much easier. Like I'll often start off in Rush style until I build up heat, switch to Brawler and do a heat move, then switch back. Or switch into Beast to grab an object without being knocked down. I think there's room to do more complicated multi-style combos, but I'm not there yet. I do wish the quick-switching was truly instantaneous, but it's not too bad.

I like the fact that there's so many heat moves, I'm still discovering new ones. Last night I ended up dragging around a guy by his ankles in Beast mode somehow and then threw him at his buddies.

Edgeward

I finally figured out how to get my weapons not to degrade after unlocking the ability.

You need to be in slugger mode first and then switch to a weapon and not be past the first heat bar. Holy crap, they could've made it more straightforward

Last night I unlocked the Brawler skill that lets you sidestep and then do a punishing move with the triangle button. I can't get it to work though, am I doing something wrong?

Also, I did the Ah-Ha sidestory last night,
and it's the only one where I feel like there was no clear right answer. Did anyone actually buy the water? Does it really show up at the office and you can sell it?

I did and Marina scolded me for wasting so much money and throws it all away :(

On another note, I unlocked the Nao video despite not actually meeting her this way.

this
drive by shoot out is really annoying, especially considering shooting at the cars doesn't do shit and if you get to the helicopter part and you die you have to start from the beginning again, wtf

Last night I unlocked the Brawler skill that lets you sidestep and then do a punishing move with the triangle button. I can't get it to work though, am I doing something wrong?

Also, I did the Ah-Ha sidestory last night,
and it's the only one where I feel like there was no clear right answer. Did anyone actually buy the water? Does it really show up at the office and you can sell it?

Actually having trouble with that move too. But I don't think you are supposed to quickstep.

I did and Marina scolded me for wasting so much money and throws it all away :(

On another note, I unlocked the Nao video despite not actually meeting her this way.

Damn, well that answers that. I half-expected it to unlock a new money game.

Actually having trouble with that move too. But I don't think you are supposed to quickstep.

Hm, well I remember early on in the thread someone said one of the moves was different than the instructions said, like Circle instead of Triangle. I'll try it tonight.

SephLuis

this
drive by shoot out is really annoying, especially considering shooting at the cars doesn't do shit and if you get to the helicopter part and you die you have to start from the beginning again, wtf

shoot the big targets. Unload every bullet once the marker is on a target and reload between each enemy wave.

EDIT: Instead of taking out every enemy, you can kill the driver.

shoot the big targets. Unload every bullet once the marker is on a target and reload between each enemy wave.

EDIT: Instead of taking out every enemy, you can kill the driver.

thanks lol, I actually just got through it rather quick and now I finished chapter 13.

I always got the sense that Kiryu was an unintended ladies man,
so it would've been nice if Makimoro started coming onto Kiryu...although she is blind so it's not like she knew what he looked like but his personality and voice should've been enough to turn her on.

in fact I feel like sleeping with him would probably physically, mentally, maybe even emotionally make her feel a lot better.

muteki

I am now bringing in considerable cash after relatively little time and investment in the real estate game.

I love how you are taking over territory as you go along. It's like that gang turf mini game in San Andreas but less half-assed.

I'm still a bit bummed out that
Yumi didn't appear in the bar at the end with Kiryu and Nishiki. And I sort of hate the fact that Kazama only had like 3 lines the whole game despite all this being his plan and how he was constantly referred.

Yea, that was the oddest thing to not have Yumi appear at all, as you mentioned Kazama made an appearance, why not her? Though I will agree that Kazama should have had more to say, if at least through flashbacks.

bwakh

that's what ended up happening with me last night. I was basically your avatar -->
image.php

and I ended up playing through finishing chapter 9, and started and finished chapter 10 before calling it a fucking night.

Hehe, understand that completely. Weekend is nearly here. Time for a monster session.

IrishNinja

Nice. This alongside with Yakuza twitter account, limited reprints of older Yakuza games and recent accolades video: https://youtu.be/Cxn6N9NrRpw really shows that SEGA is committing to the series.

yeah, we're getting more positive signs than ever that sega's on board with the series, can't say enough how fantastic that is given the darkness that we had post Dead Souls, thinking the series was effectively over for us

IrishNinja

damn, guess the wrong gal once in "the sexy hookup" substory and now i can't ever find her again, no matter which package i pick at the telephone club =/

bwakh

Anyone know where you can find those background tracks that play when something sad or funny happens during substories? They're great lol

No idea where to find those tracks, maybe youtube will have them. But this reminded me, it's pretty funny when there is an emotional ending to a substory and the sad 80s keyboard plays and all of a sudden the 'substory end' bass solo happens. Lol

IrishNinja

Just keep at it, she'll show up again.

does it matter which package you buy? one guide says it does but i'm not seeing a pattern

wish i could tell from early on in the call, but fuck it, if it's not her this next time i'm done, just gonna chalk it up to other unfinished things i suck at, like RC cars & disco

xezuru

does it matter which package you buy? one guide says it does but i'm not seeing a pattern

wish i could tell from early on in the call, but fuck it, if it's not her this next time i'm done, just gonna chalk it up to other unfinished things i suck at, like RC cars & disco

No packages don't matter, it's just, bikini color, voice, and afterwards name are pretty much the only real indicators

gow3isben

Why is the real estate game so underwhelming compared to the cabaret club game and why are Kiryu's battle styles so much weaker and less flashy than Majima's?

xezuru

Why is the real estate game so underwhelming compared to the cabaret club game and why are Kiryu's battle styles so much weaker and less flashy than Majima's?

Kiryu's thug is the most OP in the game huehuehuehue, but that's at end game, I also loooooove mid-endgame beast style. That said, Majima's Dancer style is insane aoe clear from level 1.

Alastor3

It's funny. My best friend love the Real Estate sooo much and doesn't really like the cabaret club since he doesn't like mini-games.

Giever

Does anyone have a list of all of the miss-able stuff (like equipment)? I just got through what I thought would be my final playthrough (in Legend) and now I find out that I have to do it at least one more time just to get the Charismatic Autobiography, which I apparently missed out on by answering correctly in a substory (and so was rewarded with a shirt you can just get as many as you want of later), lol.

So, anyway, I'm trying to make sure I don't miss anything else like that in my next playthrough so that I can just chill in Premium Adventure and bang my head against Mahjong and Shogi without having to worry about playing it a 4th time.

Got Sunshine to S-Rank as well as my 1st Plat Hostess maxed out yesterday - only Venus & Moon left, i really need to move on, still at Chapter 7...

go for it! completed the club stuff while still in chapter 7, & it was worth it, cuz the game shortly thereafter really starts rollin', & i was glad i could just hop on & ride it out :) ...

What's the max level for hostesses? Also do you know the max number of fans you can get from an area?

I believe it's 40 though I might be a tad off.

And I don't think there is a limit to the number of fans. You should stop once you've completed all the trainings, and beaten all the clubs because there's literally no reason to keep doing the mode anymore.

So there's no max fans. I was going to try and exhaust each area before targeting the next so I'm still on Mars, even though I've beaten the owner. I've gotten over 15k fans just from Mars, but if there's no limit I guess I can move on and start taking over the other regions.

I was slightly hoping they got some Chinese-speaking voice actors to voice the Chinese scenes, hearing someone who clearly can't speak the language mess up all the intonations and pronunciations really irked me.
I was actually slightly relieved in that one scene when Oda told Chen to speak Japanese in Kiryu's presence or when Makoto said she forgot the language so I don't have to listen to badly spoken Chinese. Tachibana's one line in Chinese is delivered surprisingly decently tho.

I was slightly hoping they got some Chinese-speaking voice actors to voice the Chinese scenes, hearing someone who clearly can't speak the language mess up all the intonations and pronunciations really irked me.
I was actually slightly relieved in that one scene when Oda told Chen to speak Japanese in Kiryu's presence or when Makoto said she forgot the language so I don't have to listen to badly spoken Chinese. Tachibana's one line in Chinese is delivered surprisingly decently tho.

You'd think with how much priority they've placed on the Asian Markets now, they'd make it more of a priority. Oh well, at least Tanimura in 4 sounded good (not that I understand Chinese anyway).

Some of the english in Yakuza 3 was absolutely hilarious.

Aki-at

You'd think with how much priority they've placed on the Asian Markets now, they'd make it more of a priority. Oh well, at least Tanimura in 4 sounded good (not that I understand Chinese anyway).

Some of the english in Yakuza 3 was absolutely hilarious.

BEAUTIFUL EYES!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
for VF all the Chinese characters speak Japanese, and considering the English VA, that might be for the best :X

NEO0MJ

Feeling kinda lost. I'm at the point in chapter 5 where
the old man who you're supposed to help by the bowling alley tells you to wait while he cleans the office. The game tells you to wander around but nothing happened yet and I lost the house.

Also, I feel like such a weeb for ling the song Judgement from karaoke ( ._.)

Feeling kinda lost. I'm at the point in chapter 5 where
the old man who you're supposed to help by the bowling alley tells you to wait while he cleans the office. The game tells you to wander around but nothing happened yet and I lost the house.

Also, I feel like such a weeb for ling the song Judgement from karaoke ( ._.)

Just find some random subquest, do some random karaoke or mini-game, or whatever.

Top Bottom