• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Nearly 40 hours into this and still loving every minute of it :) Still got loads to do of course though I'll probably finish the main story soon and continue on in Premium Adventure mode. Game is soooooo fucking good. Story's been great so far too. Looks like I've got a lot of substories to reveal too despite constantly running around looking for things to happen etc.

Foffy

Banned
Are there any online guides for all of the side content in the game?

The last game I played in the series was Yakuza 3, and I figure this time around, I'd actually like to do most of the stuff in the game outside of the main campaign, preferably when they open up.

derFeef

So... regarding fighting. Once you are hit it's basically not possible to dodge follow-up attacks? Also I don't understand rush mode at all. When can I do special attacks? When the enemy is stunned I can't to anything with that.

plidex

The game's save system is annoying, but anyone not knowing how to save, or turning the PS4 off without saving, that's not the game's fault.

damn this game is tough on hard difficulty and no drinks.
spending so much time on the boss.
Don't be cheap David, buy some Stamina Royale :p

That was actually the first thing that I did. Since you have so much money, you don't have to even think twice about buying stuff. So with both Kiryu and Majima I just went and bought 10+ healing items, in case I needed them in tough situations.

bubumiao

How long did it take to install? Mine didn't install for more than a minute or two. This is after I installed Resident Evil VII which took like 5 or 6 minutes.

I didn't start a new game, I just popped in the disc. I booted the game to see if it was in the options, but couldn't find it. I'm guessing I need to start a new game for it to lead me to something like this.

Stiler

The game's save system is annoying, but anyone not knowing how to save, or turning the PS4 off without saving, that's not the game's fault.

Name me another modern made game that doesn't use autosaves?

Most people logically thought the game did, only to boot up their consoles the day after playing to find out "hey, why can't I load my game?"

The game doesn't even tell you "visit phone booths to save your game" it just expects you to magically know this before you stop playing.

Caim

has anyone beat Kuze with no health drinks and Hard mode?

challenging...

Brawler style and not backstepping (because of that lame leg sweep counter)

Also if he's knocked down and your standing (near his head?) you can do a heat attack where you just keep punching him. It does insane damage.

No health drinks, Rush style on Normal.

I can imagine, tho. :p
nice! hard to beat him with rush style.
I did! Although I did eat seven lunch-boxes T.T

I got tired of reloading, on the same note is there a punishment for retey without loading?
LOL

Don't be cheap David, buy some Stamina Royale :p

That was actually the first thing that I did. Since you have so much money, you don't have to even think twice about buying stuff. So with both Kiryu and Majima I just went and bought 10+ healing items, in case I needed them in tough situations.
i did that for Y4 and felt so easy. on FF15, i tried beating the game without using ascension and did it. it was pretty tense all the time but fun.

I died the first time after the gauntlet, but on retry with full health, it wasn't too bad.

Brawler style and not backstepping (because of that lame leg sweep counter)

Also if he's knocked down and your standing (near his head?) you can do a heat attack where you just keep punching him. It does insane damage.
i just changed to brawler after reading your post and almost beat him on my first try. got him down to 1/4 energy but died. i'll try that heat attack by his head. Rush style i would only get him from yellow to orange bar.

edit: Yusssssss it worked!
i didn't get the repeated punching heat action till the very end when he had just a little life bar. but brawler made that fight easy. thanks!!!

FYI: Just started the game and noticed in the settings, the default Tips option is Normal, but they recommend setting it to More for first-timers like me. Since there's no manual yet, might as well take all the help I can get.

Tunahead

So... regarding fighting. Once you are hit it's basically not possible to dodge follow-up attacks? Also I don't understand rush mode at all. When can I do special attacks? When the enemy is stunned I can't to anything with that.

Methods for not getting stunlocked are dependent on which style you're using. Some can dodge out and others block. You also get a lot of them later on.

Rush is for going fastly. You build up heat real good in that style, but it's not one of the best styles at the start because Rush starts out with the least opportunities for heat attacks.

At the start the only way you can do heat attacks on standing opponents is by grappling them, or if you're holding a weapon. You unlock better ones later on. Some of the grappling heat attacks are pretty cool right from the start though, especially the Beast style one where you swing your opponent around and hit other dudes with him. When you stun enemies it's mostly for crowd control or so you can do a charge move on them without being knocked out of it.

bigmac996

That's the cat fighting mini game. The worst mini game in the entire game (or entire series to be honest) and horrible for completionists as it has the horrible "win 10 tournaments" trophy. Since the mini game is essentially 100% luck (and I swear the AI cheats) you could spend a significant amount of time getting nowhere on that mini game.

I can't stand the rapid button presses in that minigame. In the later rounds it's impossible for me to keep up with the AI and I always end up losing solely because of that. Not cool. Otherwise, the distractions in the game are amazing. Love the cabaret club minigame especially!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Most people logically thought the game did, only to boot up their consoles the day after playing to find out "hey, why can't I load my game?"

The game doesn't even tell you "visit phone booths to save your game" it just expects you to magically know this before you stop playing.

But its the 1980s there was no autosave!!

aravuus

It did tell me. Might have even been a couple of times - once in a tutorial pop-up and once when I actually approached a phone booth, iirc. It didn't mention the game doesn't auto-save, but when it specifically tells me how to save, it should be pretty obvious it doesn't.

I mean, I agree that it really should auto-save. There's no reason to not have auto-saving in a game like this. But let's not pretend it's completely the game's fault.

Maybe the thread title should've been "|OT| You can start with this one and btw it doesn't auto-save"

joeblow

How easy is Hard? I've only played Y4 in the series, and despite playing on Hard, the fights were mind-numbingly easy (except boss fights).

I see that Legendary difficulty in Y0 is unfortunately locked behind having to play through once, so if I pick this up, what should I expect from Hard?

Jimrpg

Does Resident Evil still use typewriters?

Also isn't there a mission where the game asks you to find a payphone? I saw it in the Angry Joe review.

It can get annoying if you want to just switch the game off and you gotta take on 3 or 4 random fights before you can.

Floody

has anyone beat Kuze with no health drinks and Hard mode?

challenging...

After failing badly on my first attempt, managed to beat him on the second without going under 50% health. Was just being very aggressive and managed to keep him in a loop, trapped in the corner.

Edit: Was using Rush, mostly for the faster dodge.

Tizoc

It did tell me. Might have even been a couple of times - once in a tutorial pop-up and once when I actually approached a phone booth, iirc. It didn't mention the game doesn't auto-save, but when it specifically tells me how to save, it should be pretty obvious it doesn't.

I mean, I agree that it really should auto-save. There's no reason to not have auto-saving in a game like this. But let's not pretend it's completely the game's fault.

Maybe the thread title should've been "|OT| You can start with this one and btw it doesn't auto-save"
There are dozens of ifons on the map that read S too

Playing as Majima, scouting at Odyssey
and then bam that guy in th stair well caught me off gaurd. Laughed for long while lol https://youtu.be/RDdO5be7Iog
Odyssey's manager is zoro from one piece too

I was really excited to get Gravity Rush 2 but Yakuza 0 swept in and stole all its hype. Sorry Kat. I'll get to you eventually, I promise.

ubiblu

Pretty sure it auto-saves after every chapter yeah?

Also, it's 2017. If you just 'assume' a game saves, it's your problem. For fear of the same thing happening to me, I always google to confirm save arrangements with a game.

Got no one to blame but yourself aniki.

Is there any way to set the voiced dialogue to pause after lines? Sometimes I miss a sentence because the subtitles disappear pretty quickly.

After failing badly on my first attempt, managed to beat him on the second without going under 50% health. Was just being very aggressive and managed to keep him in a loop, trapped in the corner.

Edit: Was using Rush, mostly for the faster dodge.

wow that's a tall order using Rush.

a side note:
just on detail during chapter 2 opening scene: do you know what's unrealistic?
Kazuma's hair is still perfectly up even while the shower head is point black on top of his head. lol

Shadoken

Lmao the game is out of stock at some major retailers in India. Wth is going on , Yakuza finally getting the hype it deserves ?

Floody

wow that's a tall order using Rush.

a side note:
just on detail during chapter 2 opening scene: do you know what's unrealistic?
Kazuma's hair is still perfectly up even while the shower head is point black on top of his head. lol

Just need to be patient really and not over commit, until you get him in a corner and you can just bounce him off the walls after that and keep him from doing his combo.
I didn't really have a choice though as I haven't really been using Brawler, so he destroyed me when I switched to it mid fight on my first attempt.

JJShadow

Majima's introduction
cutscene at the begining of Chapter 3 is freaking long, like 40-50 minutes or so, watched it yesterday before going to bed and I almost felt asleep lol Totally worthy though, I know I'm gonna love him

Peroroncino

In every style you can either block or dodge follow-up attacks, but not at the beginning, you need to invest in them a bit.

As for the HEAT attack, you need to stun your enemy [stars above his head, easiest to do while spamming full square combo without triangle follow up, and then putting additional 2 or 3 hits with square again] and press triangle, but only if you have 3rd heat bar at least partly filled.

Majima's introduction
cutscene at the begining of Chapter 3 is freaking long, like 40-50 minutes or so, watched it yesterday before going to bed and I almost felt asleep lol Totally worthy tough, I know I'm gonna love him

Wow seriously? That's MGS4 territory.

is it just me or does the first stage boss MOOT in Space Harrier have a different flight pattern than what i'm used to? feels kinda off.

i used to be able to beat him almost as he appears memorizing where he's going be,
but in this version the dragon's movements are wacky.

I started this last night and I must say - I am very very impressed.

It's classic Yakuza but it's easily the best looking one. Can't wait to play more.

Alien Isolation

Foffy

Banned
Does anybody recall where
the guy you learn the second style
goes to? I forget the name of where he said he was, and I want to go there before continuing the main game...

derFeef

In every style you can either block or dodge follow-up attacks, but not at the beginning, you need to invest in them a bit.

As for the HEAT attack, you need to stun your enemy [stars above his head, easiest to do while spamming full square combo without triangle follow up, and then putting additional 2 or 3 hits with square again] and press triangle, but only if you have 3rd heat bar at least partly filled.

Methods for not getting stunlocked are dependent on which style you're using. Some can dodge out and others block. You also get a lot of them later on.

Rush is for going fastly. You build up heat real good in that style, but it's not one of the best styles at the start because Rush starts out with the least opportunities for heat attacks.

At the start the only way you can do heat attacks on standing opponents is by grappling them, or if you're holding a weapon. You unlock better ones later on. Some of the grappling heat attacks are pretty cool right from the start though, especially the Beast style one where you swing your opponent around and hit other dudes with him. When you stun enemies it's mostly for crowd control or so you can do a charge move on them without being knocked out of it.

Thanks! I will stick to Brawler for the time being, it's so much fun beating fools with couches.

ZZChao

Neo Member
Does anybody recall where
the guy you learn the second style
goes to? I forget the name of where he said he was, and I want to go there before continuing the main game...

He should be in the parking lot north east of the map.

Top Bottom