• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That it is...just spent the last two or three hours playing it lol.

Took me awhile but I managed to befriend the three girls needed for Kiryu.

I swear that for one of them

Ayako, I never ever pick the right person when I go on the date. I've done it two or three times now and always picked the wrong person, this is picking both the closest and farthest away. The game really doesn't want me to be friends with Ayako lol

SephLuis

Maybe I'd be more inclined to keep it if I can unlock the camera somehow? Maybe the enemies just feel so barebones because I'm only on like chapter 4? Can I unlock the camera or change the mode somehow? I really really don't like how it's locked often or tries to always recenter, can I not pan freely?

Let me put it this way. Metal Gear Solid 3, is one of my all-time favourite games. I struggle to replay it because of the extremely dated controls.

Just a tip, it takes a while for the combat to open up. If you want a challenge, try hard or wait for to unlock the legend difficulty (you need to complete the game once)

Unlocking a lot of things about the combat needs a lot of money so you can invest into your businesses (you haven't seen them yet) or try to shakedown Mr. Shakedown lol

You go on a safari yet?

It was good, except for the lions. That sound made me laugh a lot in those scenes haha

MYeager

Wait till you get to Kiryu's real estate activity. I've only beaten 3 of the billionaires thus far, but I'm already making +300mil yen every 4-5 minutes.

For real 112 mil is pocket change. I like the money aspect but it does break the plot. Like a guy forks out a billion yen for me? I can pay that back easy but it's treated like a huge deal which breaks the narrative a bit.

That and by Yakuza 1 Kiryu should own the entire island of Japan.

I swear that for one of them

Ayako, I never ever pick the right person when I go on the date. I've done it two or three times now and always picked the wrong person, this is picking both the closest and farthest away. The game really doesn't want me to be friends with Ayako lol
Oh my goodness! Yes!!!
It took me three tries (Third times the charm, right?) technically four if you count me getting sakura'd...

I was ready to throw in the towel on Ayaka but I pulled through finally lol.

Edit:
just noticed, pick the third option. You have to pick it in order to unlock Ayaka. I think she's the cutest so she's totally worth it.

For real 112 mil is pocket change. I like the money aspect but it does break the plot. Like a guy forks out a billion yen for me? I can pay that back easy but it's treated like a huge deal which breaks the narrative a bit.

That and by Yakuza 1 Kiryu should own the entire island of Japan.
Hahaha, that's true.

I guess I should just treat it as a fun little thing that's exclusive to gameplay. Sorta like how the guns are huge during cutscenes, yet you can take dozens of bullets in fights :)

Since a friend of mine apparently didn't know that you could, I'll post here too.

You can grab people from behind and then do a heat move by a wall and it'll trigger a different animation as compared to grabbing from the front. For both Kiryu's Brawler and Majima's Thug.

I've made a billion and a half yen from destroying Mr Shakedown several times this evening, feels good man. Majima and his slugger style just run rings around him lol

Menitta

Wow great job! Since introducing Mr. Shakedown I haven't fought him because I'm scared to lose all my money haha but maybe it's not that hard to beat him after all. You make it look like a walk in the park anyway.

Funny you say that. Right after I posted that video, I lost to a Shakedown with two health bars lol.

But I do think Slugger is the best style with Majima because he can instantly use heat moves while he's standing and Rush for Kiryu because of all his dodge stuff. The most important thing to do is avoid that charging move at all costs. He'll grab you by the leg right after and overall it'll do a lot of damage.

Oh man, I just beat 2 Mr. Shakedowns like 2 minutes after the other! Didn't know they spawn so soon one after another but the 1st one was a bit over 5 million and the other was 48 million! So satisfying.......fuck those damn stomps though.

The Shakedowns have like five health bars for me now ;_;

Try to start the fight in a place with 2-3 interactables. It's important to use a variety of heat moves since repeatedly using the same one, or using one too many times reduces the damage considerably. Also you can get 2-3 stomps on their face while they're getting up after the heat move which is nice.

Oh man, I just beat 2 Mr. Shakedowns like 2 minutes after the other! Didn't know they spawn so soon one after another but the 1st one was a bit over 5 million and the other was 48 million! So satisfying.......fuck those damn stomps though.

Each time you beat one the second one will spawn on the map if you enter a building and come out, I believe. They alternate each time, and the amount of cash they have goes up considerably each time you beat them too. However each time you kick their ass and they respawn they have an extra health bar so they're more difficult to kill ;o

Both of mine have blue health bars now, but offering almost a billion yen if I kill them (each)

Try to start the fight in a place with 2-3 interactables. It's important to use a variety of heat moves since repeatedly using the same one, or using one too many times reduces the damage considerably. Also you can get 2-3 stomps on their face while they're getting up after the heat move which is nice.

Yeah i agree, with usable objects it's easy to switch between thug mode and wasting him with the bat, though also poses another risk as places with lots of objects are usually in alleyways etc., so less space to avoid his attacks

Each time you beat one the second one will spawn on the map if you enter a building and come out, I believe. They alternate each time, and the amount of cash they have goes up considerably each time you beat them too. However each time you kick their ass and they respawn they have an extra health bar so they're more difficult to kill ;o

Both of mine have blue health bars now, but offering almost a billion yen if I kill them (each)

Dang, a billion? Gonna keep my Staminan XX/Royal inventory high lol. Do they gain more different attacks later on or is it the same as always? Only fought 1 and 2 health bar Mr. Shakedowns so far.

Mr.Shakedown showed up with 1.something Billion.

Wrecked my face and stole 700 million.

Later showed up with 2.6 Billion.

He got wrecked.

Who's laughing now you humongous bald bastard?

cornerman

Posted this in the starter guide thread...Probably should have been here:

Thinking about picking up the game, but had a few questions. How is travelling through the city? Will I spend a lot of time covering ground to get to the next story mission?

From the OP, I see the tournament offers rewards for taking part in the tournament. Are there rewards for doing the other activities (bars, bowling, etc)?

Dang, a billion? Gonna keep my Staminan XX/Royal inventory high lol. Do they gain more different attacks later on or is it the same as always? Only fought 1 and 2 health bar Mr. Shakedowns so far.
Exactly the same attacks :)
Though I think they have the orange rage aura thingy much earlier, and for longer

Someone asked this a couple pages ago, but are their heat moves in rush style? Or am I just missing something? Seems just so underwhelming compared to the others.

Someone asked this a couple pages ago, but are their heat moves in rush style? Or am I just missing something? Seems just so underwhelming compared to the others.

For me, I use rush as a quick way to build up heat then switch to a different style to execute the moves :)
It's also good when you just wanna trash some random punks in like 3 seconds

Exactly the same attacks :)
Thoug I think they have the orange rage aura thingy much earlier, and for longer

Nice, glad they didn't change since they're already a hassle to fight against.

Keep punching 1 of them until he's in a dizzy state, a Heat move activation will show up and it's basically a super punch that will hit 1 guy into the others if the are in the way, very useful. I think there is a ground Heat move too.

Foffy

Banned
Posted this in the starter guide thread...Probably should have been here:

Thinking about picking up the game, but had a few questions. How is travelling through the city? Will I spend a lot of time covering ground to get to the next story mission?

From the OP, I see the tournament offers rewards for taking part in the tournament. Are there rewards for doing the other activities (bars, bowling, etc)?

It's not a huge city by any means. Not hard to explore and travel. There's also a kind of fast travel via the taxi spots.

I believe in this game they linked rewards and unlocks to those activities. Be it CP you can use to unlock features at a shrine, or even to unlock friends and items.

Hamster0

Would Thug be the best style for Majima against Shakedown? I tried Breaker and slugger and they didn't seem that efficient.

I've been farming Mr.Shakedown a lot tonight, I've gotten so much money atm that I can't spend it all yet ( I don't have breaker style yet), but I just dodge and light attack and dash away, repeat until I get 3 heat bars then switch to slugger and use the Heat move to knock him to the ground, switch back to Thug and keep stomping and heat move when available, and pretty much repeat all the over til he dead

Does anyone know where the Master for the Thug style is? or does he show up later? I'm in the middle of chapter 4

E: Nvm, found it

Floody

Do CP points carry across both characters, or can I spend all the one's Majima has and still have some on Kiryu when I get back to him?

Caim

Would Thug be the best style for Majima against Shakedown? I tried Breaker and slugger and they didn't seem that efficient.

I use Thug style and just chip away at him.

All I do is just wait for him to charge at me and when he's finished I do Square, Triangle or Square, Square, Triangle if I think there is a enough time before his next attack.

Jhn

So, I'm confused about getting the beast moves from the trainer.

I have the path in the ability tree to some locked nodes cleared, but I still get a "I don't have any more jobs for you right now" from her. What's up with that?

Maybe I've got it wrong, do all of the beast moves not unlock from doing the jobs?
Do I need to complete some specific training course for a specific move-associated job to become available? It's not very clear.

Caim

So, I'm confused about getting the beast moves from the trainer.

I have the path in the ability tree to some locked nodes cleared, but I still get a "I don't have any more jobs for you right now" from her. What's up with that?

Maybe I've got it wrong, do all of the beast moves not unlock from doing the jobs?
Do I need to complete some specific training course for a specific move-associated job to become available? It's not very clear.

The nodes that say Master (1,2,3,4,5) are the skills from the trainers.

You need the adjacent node to be able to do the training as clearing it will open up the M nodes that were locked.

Jhn

The nodes that say Master (1,2,3,4,5) are the skills from the trainers.

You need the adjacent node to be able to do the training as clearing it will open up the M nodes that were locked.

Yeah, I know, that's what I meant when I said "I have the path in the ability tree to some locked nodes cleared". Still not getting any jobs.

Rymuth

Any time I eat, I get the most expensive thing on the menu. Am I doing it right?
You have to work your way down. Pick a dish that doesnt have a tick mark next to it. When you've sampled everything a restaurant has to offer, you'll get a Completion Point

Just a tip, it takes a while for the combat to open up. If you want a challenge, try hard or wait for to unlock the legend difficulty (you need to complete the game once)

Unlocking a lot of things about the combat needs a lot of money so you can invest into your businesses (you haven't seen them yet) or try to shakedown Mr. Shakedown lol

It was good, except for the lions. That sound made me laugh a lot in those scenes haha

I am playing on hard. I doubt I'd play the game twice though, assuming the AI doesn't become significantly more challenging for standard mobs at least though no? I beat Mr. Shakedown in my second confrontation with him. He just uses the same few moves over and over so I just used the speed stance to dodge, hit him a few times, dodge, hit him a few times. Rince and repeat.

Vorheez

So, when does the game pick up again? I know I've heard that the first bit of the game is slow, but me and a friend are playing it, and it is not giving us a good first impression haha. I know it gets better though

Frimaire

Does anyone know what triggers a confrontation with the Gambling king?
I have all the buildings and 100% shares in his area, but I haven't got a cutscene or anything and it still says I haven't acquired that area...

Picked up a bottle of Iwai. It's no Yamazaki, and in fact is not really a great Japanese whisky, but in a way it fits Kiryu. Not a lot of depth, but it's a mix of sweetness and spice and its happy to punch your lights out.

iwai.jpg

Yakuza time.

Does anyone know what triggers a confrontation with the Gambling king?
I have all the buildings and 100% shares in his area, but I haven't got a cutscene or anything and it still says I haven't acquired that area...
First you need to complete sub-story #18. That sub-story is tied to main story though.

Do the main story in chapter 6 until Kiryu says he needs to go to his apartment and rest. From there the game will guide you toward the needed sub-story. Finish that and you should be able to confront Gambling King.

Top Bottom