• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Frimaire

First you need to complete sub-story #18. That sub-story is tied to main story though.

Do the main story in chapter 6 until Kiryu says he needs to go to his apartment and rest. From there the game will guide you toward the needed sub-story. Finish that and you should be able to confront Gambling King.

Thanks.

Ultimadrago

What is Le Marche for exactly? I've only been on one date so far, but the girl gave me her number without asking for a gift or anything. (Kiryu)

Trace

Banned
Finished RE7 and picked this up. Initial impressions: Fuck I'm happy I'm not playing this on PS3 anymore and Chapter 1 was great.

Aki-at

The reason the dominatrix took up the job is amazing.

I wish her all the best in building bonds of true friendship.

Withnail

I assume the reason you have so much money in this compared to the other games is it's a satire on the 80s Japanese economy bubble where a lot of people became incredibly rich before the crash in the early 90s.

Aswitch

Enjoying the English Version a LOT more now that i can fully understand the main story and substories now. Anyone know if the Mr. Shakedown Money farming method is still in the western version?

Kain

I assume the reason you have so much money in this compared to the other games is it's a satire on the 80s Japanese economy bubble where a lot of people became incredibly rich before the crash in the early 90s.

It's such a nice touch, this game is amazing

Breaking Ze RUUUULES
♪
Breaking Ze WOORRLD
♪

Unrelated but I loved the banter that Nishiki and Kiryu had before all the events unravel. Really made me feel their friendship :)
Yup, decadence and the pursuit of money is a big part of the story and the theme. It's called " The Promised Land " after all.
What is Le Marche for exactly? I've only been on one date so far, but the girl gave me her number without asking for a gift or anything. (Kiryu)
Doesn't really do much for Kiryu, it's mainly a mainstay from the previous games where you could go to hostess clubs and start dating them.

It is important for Majima though. You'll just have to keep playing to know why :)

convo

Enjoying the English Version a LOT more now that i can fully understand the main story and substories now. Anyone know if the Mr. Shakedown Money farming method is still in the western version?

Nothing has changed mechanically, so those methods should work just fine.

hbkdx12

As someone who, at best, only had a passing interest in the yakuza series, this is some GOTY material right here....and im only on chapter 5 and i've probably dumped in like 20+ hrs already and can't wait to dump in 20 more.

Everything gels together in a way that I would have never imagined. On paper you have so many elements in this game, from it's serious story, heart warming side missions and unapologetic pervertedness, that have no business being as cohesive as they are.

The characters are fantastic. To watch them navigate their individual plights but still maintain a sense of honor and respect for their japanese/yakuza culture that otherwise constantly hands them a pile of shit is pretty amazing. Using Kiryu as a quick example, if this game were set in America, once he's excommunicated from the Yakuza, it would basically just be a renegade revenge fueled bloodbath to single-handedly take down everyone in the yakuza and anyone who stands in his way by any means necessary; It'd basically be mafia 3. However, in yakuza 0, Kiryou (at this point in the story) only has an issue with Kuze and still holds the yakuza and the dojima family in high respect. Hell, Kiryu does everything to avoid fights both in the main story and in the side missions until he's given no choice.

And it's this level of honor and respect that punctuates the fantastic humor in this game. The protags are so straightfaced and dead pan most of the time that often they're not in on the joke until its over and the times where they are in on it, its just enough outside of their character that it presents this humorous level of awkwardness without feeling cringy.

Even the stuff that's obscenely perverted (and there's a good amount of it!) comes off far more over the top and comical than offensive. How the hell they managed to pull that off is impressive in it's own right.

The side missions have all been really good and have heart and charm, 2nd only the witcher 3. My only issue is that all the side missions end up on a very positive note. It'd be interesting to have some of the side missions turn out "bad" even with your best intentions on trying to help the situation.

And the wealth of content here is absolutely ASTOUNDING. The side missions, the mini games, building a business empire....there's just no shortage of things to do. All the more impressive is the fact that everything serves a purpose beyond just being there for show. All the mini games contribute to getting you CP points. Building your empire brings in copious amounts of money that helps with upgrading your abilities. Doing side missions will reward you with on the spot rewards and in some cases people will ultimately offer their services to aide you in your business as a token of their appreciation. There's a lot of time wasters in the game yet you're never actually wasting your time.

All in all, the game is just phenomenal and i cant wait to see it through for everything that it's worth. I am now definitely a fan of the series.

All in all, the game is just phenomenal and i wait to see it through for everything that it's worth. I am now definitely a fan of the series.
In some ways, I'm actual a bit jealous of the people who started Yakuza with Zero.

I've said it before but Yakuza Zero is like Rogue One in that it weaves such an amazing story that it greatly enhances the story that chronologically follows it.

And Yakuza Kiwami's story is going to seem much more personal (AND INSANE) because of the time that you all have spent with Yakuza Zero :)

Rymuth

Breaking Ze RUUUULES
♪
Breaking Ze WOORRLD
♪

Unrelated but I loved the banter that Nishiki and Kiryu had before all the events unravel. Really made me feel their friendship :)
Yup, decadence and the pursuit of money is a big part of the story and the theme. It's called " The Promised Land " after all.
Doesn't really do much for Kiryu, it's mainly a mainstay from the previous games where you could go to hostess clubs and start dating them.

It is important for Majima though. You'll just have to keep playing to know why :)
Haven't been to Karaoke clubs outside of story segments but is Pure Love in Kamurocho in this game?

Haven't been to Karaoke clubs outside of story segments but is Pure Love in Kamurocho in this game?

I don't think so. There isn't THAT much variety in karaoke this time around, but it's still fun.

Majima's interjections during Rouge of Love are .... well, lively is certainly one word for it.

ZZChao

Neo Member
I also immensly enjoyed the way money is used in the game.
Just walking into the pharmacy and stocking up on staminan royale as if it was nothing felt so great.
On the other hand, the higher tier level ups where bloody expensive...

I also found it hilarious when
quite a fuzz was made about a certain sum of money during the main story and Kiryu acted really impressed when that number was dropped – even though he was carrying more than double the amount at that exact moment.

Look what you did GAF, I bought another game this month, just a few days before Nioh.

One question: Where do you find the punchout guy? I didn't anoted his location and now I can't find it. Or is something you unlock later?

Also batting minigame is hard lol.

Look what you did GAF, I bought another game this month, just a few days before Nioh.

One question: Where do you find the punchout guy? I didn't anoted his location and now I can't find it. Or is something you unlock later?

Also batting minigame is hard lol.

On the upper right side of the map in Kamurocho (not quite in the corner, just in the general vicinity), there should be an icon of the outline of a person. That's the icon for "Master" who can teach you new abilities. He's in an empty parking lot.

I swore to myself I was going to make it out of Chapter 2 today.

I didn't. All these Sub Stories! I'm in Yakuza heaven over here.
Now that I've shut down the illicit used panties resale market of Kamurocho, I'm going to become the greatest Poketto Saakitto racer the world has ever seen!

SHarris78

I don't usually have the patience for long cutscenes but the opening of Chapter 3 was epic!!!

Struggling with fighting, with Kiryu I use rush 95% of the time, the other 2, especially the one with the orange aura (I forget the name) is awful. Hopefully in time it'll open up.

Finally started playing this today. Only in chapter 2 so far but I'm having lots of fun and the story is a lot more gripping right from the start than it was in Yakuza 5.

What I kinda miss so far are all the random NPC's across town that you could actually talk to. I'm hoping they are still coming in or are they just not a thing in this game? In 4 and 5 (The only other games in the series that I've played.) random NPC's to talk to where there right from the get-go.

Desmond

Reading through everyone's impressions has made be want to fire up my JPN copy and attempt the platinum trophy. Have all the substories done, i remember getting annoyed at the catfights and uninstalling the game haha

I don't usually have the patience for long cutscenes but the opening of Chapter 3 was epic!!!

Struggling with fighting, with Kiryu I use rush 95% of the time, the other 2, especially the one with the orange aura (I forget the name) is awful. Hopefully in time it'll open up.
I like Brawler a lot as the heat moves are pretty accessible and the grab move is handy. Rush is pretty good but feels lacking in heat attacks and anything but punch and dodge. I really dislike beast though, it's like a crap more limited Brawler.

Yakuza 4 and 5 seriously felt like a telenovella at times with all the "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG AUSTIN" moments and generally insane plot twists.

Yakuza 3's plot was fairly grounded but even it got wackier and more unbelievable as the story progressed.

Yakuza 2's plot is perfection.

Yakuza 1's plot was definitely the grittiest.
Or so I thought until Yakuza 0 showed up. It so far is rivaling Yakuza 2 in terms of excellent plot, amazing characters and fantastic pacing with genuinely unpredictable twists that don't feel unwelcome.

12140721_1501972239830wkeu.jpg

This game, lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That awkward moment when you're having a disco battle and your wife walks in and says "is this what you do when I'm not here ?"

and then she started doubling over laughing at Kiryu's dance moves

Rymuth

Yakuza 4 and 5 seriously felt like a telenovella at times with all the "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG AUSTIN" moments and generally insane plot twists.

Yakuza 3's plot was fairly grounded but even it got wackier and more unbelievable as the story progressed.

Yakuza 2's plot is perfection.

Yakuza 1's plot was definitely the grittiest.
Or so I thought until Yakuza 0 showed up. It so far is rivaling Yakuza 2 in terms of excellent plot, amazing characters and fantastic pacing with genuinely unpredictable twists that don't feel unwelcome.
Y3 plot was a farce

Long lost twin brother who's also a badass american CIA agent.

Even by Yakuza standards, that was a bad joke

Top Bottom