• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Oh man Kiryu's mini games. The driving is so fun.

Does every character get a deep mini-game side story like this?

Akiyama doesn't for reasons I never understood, all the other characters do though.

Seijima's remains my favourite, its one of the most fun hunting mini games included in a game.

I don't think I've ever played another driving game that makes you follow the rules of the road like this.
IIRC, Driver 1 had some traffic stuff, where cops would come after you for driving erratically/eating red lights, etc. But yeah I don't think I've seen it in a game since.

IIRC, Driver 1 had some traffic stuff, where cops would come after you for driving erratically/eating red lights, etc. But yeah I don't think I've seen it in a game since.

Mafia 1&2 had traffic laws. I really liked both games for that added bit of realism. If they caught you running a red light local police would start chasing you, but only issue you a ticket. If you refused to stop they'd eventually start to chase you with the aim to arrest you. Similar thing for minor dings/traffic accidents.

Mafia 2 dialed things back a bit, which was a pity as the traffic laws added a nice sense of realism and atmosphere to the in game worlds.

Mafia 1&2 had traffic laws. I really liked both games for that added bit of realism. If they caught you running a red light local police would start chasing you, but only issue you a ticket. If you refused to stop they'd eventually start to chase you with the aim to arrest you. Similar thing for minor dings/traffic accidents.

Mafia 2 dialed things back a bit, which was a pity as the traffic laws added a nice sense of realism and atmosphere to the in game worlds.
Oh yeah, duh! I played both games lol they just slipped my mind for some reason haha

Hasney

It's odd, I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 before Yakuza came out so I was already indicating
and getting fined for driving while tired

Ban Puncher

I have no internet at home at the moment so I won't be able to download and play it any time soon but I still bought the game in support of continuing western releases for the series.

I'll just stare longingly at the PSN receipt email and pretend I am an idol in training.

Dio

Banned
Saejima chapter:

10 million yen appeared in your wallet!

EDIT: Oh my fucking god the karaoke

This game, man.

Anybody else here do the substory with the
computer not working and making moaning noises
? I just about died of laughter

Yes!!! I nearly died laughing.

Saejima chapter:

10 million yen appeared in your wallet!

EDIT: Oh my fucking god the karaoke

This game, man.

Once I reached the hostess club I
bought all the most expensive things. When you order the most expensive drink the cutscene afterward was absolutely hilarious.

At work. Wishing I was playing this game...

Sigh.

Anyhow, for those who want them to refresh their memory, or something similar, here are story run throughs of Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. Man, I remembered the dub of 1 being better. Warning, these are long. Y1 is about 7 hours, and Y2 is over 9. I still recommend playing these if you haven't. though I know that isn't realistic for everyone.

Yakuza 1 Story

Yakuza 2 story

Dio

Banned
Yakuza.

I love GR, but it's not even close. Yakuza is one of the best games you can play this year. Even compared to all the GOTY candidates like Witcher and Bloodborne.

Yeah, I have zero issues with anyone rating this over Witcher and Bloodborne as the GOTY of 2015.

Guys help me. Yakuza 5 or Gravity Rush remastered?

I think you came into the wrong thread if you wanted anything more than a one-sided confirmation that you should get Yakuza 5. Because that's also what I'm recommending.

Yeah, I have zero issues with anyone rating this over Witcher and Bloodborne as the GOTY of 2015.

I think any game that can keep me so engaged in regular-ass taxi driving is a masterpiece. I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I already fully agree that this is GOTY stuff.

aravuus

Damn. Currently playing XBX which is probably my fav game of this gen so far, and next up I've got Yakuza 5 and Underrail, both of which have gotten a couple of "easy GOTY" posts around here

So many awesome dang games to play!

Started this game yesterday. I played all the previous localized Y games, my favourite has been 4 up until now... but this one seems to trumps it. Better graphics, better gameplay, better start, better everything. For now, at least. It was worth the wait, and seems like it will be worth to import the US version to play 0. IP of the last 2 generations for me

im still a few days away from playing but how have the graphics improved? y3 and 4 were functional but damn their sub-hdness grated on me after a while.

im still a few days away from playing but how have the graphics improved? y3 and 4 were functional but damn their sub-hdness grated on me after a while.
Resolution still seems to be sub HD, but I think they've improved the in-game overall models and bought them closer to the cutscenes ones, so there's now a smaller gap between in-game and cutscenes graphics. They also have recorded much more lines of dialog for the cutscenes rendered in real time, so the text ballons are limited to sidestories content and random NPCs on the streets.

There's one at the stalls right next to the guy, one on the bridge you meet Nakajima to to drinking, one in the middle of the map at Nagasua Blvd, and two next to each other on the far northeast of the map.

Pro-tip: Don't try to help your Taxi co-worker fix his computer while your wife is asleep next to you on the couch.
The computer has a virus that plays a loud sexy lady audio on a loop if you tamper with it. Don't unplug the power!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
God damn the game just crashed when I was starting a street race.

3 hours progress gone ugggh

Does this game crash a lot?

Kain

Fuck, playing Y4 was like a hard, tiring long trip and getting home at last to get the goodies. Y5, with Kazuma's segment being the first, is like being at home enjoying your favorite food and videogames, then your asshole cousins arrive to spoil the fun :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Fuck, playing Y4 was like a hard, tiring long trip and getting home at last to get the goodies. Y5, with Kazuma's segment being the first, is like being at home enjoying your favorite food and videogames, then your asshole cousins arrive to spoil the fun :(

Honestly Saejima's chapter is the only one I'm not looking forward to, since his part in Y4 was so boring. But I'm really looking forward to the new guy and Akiyama/Haruka's chapter (though it kinda sucks that Akiyama and Haruka share a chapter).

ar4757

Who's Kazuma? Suzuki's a mere taxi driver...

I like Kiryu, but Yakuza can't just be about him forever.

I really am curious where the series is going to go once his story is finally finished. Saejima and Tanimura were underwhelming aside from combat, but I really dig Akiyama and hope he sticks around for the long haul. Haven't played as Shinada yet so I won't comment on him.

Of course I'm still holding out hope that one day Haruka will take up Uncle Kaz's mantle and start smashing bicycles into yakuza.

Stuart444

I just spent 31k yen in a hostess club with a girl named Riku.

Totally worth it. Next up on my "Have fun and do lots of extra stuff before continuing Kiryu's story" is... Karaoke :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I feel like if they ever did move away from Kiryu as a protagonist for good, Akiyama would definitely be the replacement. Far as I can tell he's by far the most popular of the new characters. The fact that he's not yakuza might pose some problems though, I suppose.

I feel like if they ever did move away from Kiryu as a protagonist for good, Akiyama would definitely be the replacement. Far as I can tell he's by far the most popular of the new characters. The fact that he's not yakuza might pose some problems though, I suppose.

Remember that the Japanese title is "Like a Dragon", not "Yakuza", and Akiyama is still pretty connected to the underworld setting of the series. I don't think that'd be a problem.

I hope they never move away from Kiryu. Adding additional characters to keep the series from going stale is fine, but none of these guys compare to Kiryu. He's the best character-wise and the most fun to play.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Remember that the Japanese title is "Like a Dragon", not "Yakuza", and Akiyama is still pretty connected to the underworld setting of the series. I don't think that'd be a problem.

Oh I know. I just figured it'd be odd for a series that has focused so heavily on the yakuza to change over to a non-yakuza (or non-former-yakuza) protagonist. But you're probably right, it'd be fine.

I love Kiryu, I really do. But I dunno how long they can continue to go to the "just when I think I'm out they pull me back in" well. Part of the reason I feel they use multiple protagonists now is that it's easier to write that as a small portion of a narrative than a central one.

More than anything though, it's been a decade of him having to put up with his crap. Poor guy deserves a break and happy ending at some point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seriously. I don't know how many more times they can write "Dojima continues to be the worst chairman of anything ever, Kiryu steps in to clean up his mess".

Quit being such a shit, Dojima.

Top Bottom