• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Trace

Banned
This game man... this game.

It really is something special, I don't know how SEGA can make a fantastic story like this and not have it sell well.

Nowhere near the end of the game so IDK if it holds up all the way, but it if it does this is def my GotY.

Peff

Okay, so I'm loving it so far and savouring every moment, because Majima only knows when the hell Zero will be released.

But...is it intentional, is it a bug or is it me...
the UFO catcher with Miku dolls in Fukuoka is broken? The claw only goes halfway back no matter what I do - and the dolls are at the back. Is there some story event that is meant to unlock these or something? I have no problem with the other machine.

Overly cautious spoiler tags, by the way. :)

It's not a claw :p It happened to me too, what you actually need to do is to fit the metal bar inside the hole in the middle of the panel and it'll flip the lower Miku prize so that it falls out of the machine.

deadfolk

This game man... this game.

It really is something special, I don't know how SEGA can make a fantastic story like this and not have it sell well.

Nowhere near the end of the game so IDK if it holds up all the way, but it if it does this is def my GotY.

Yeah. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I found it really hard to quit. Every time I thought "I'll just get to a save point and call it a night", something new popped up for me to try.

Although I bought them all at launch, I think this might be the first time since 1 that I've played a Yakuza game without there being a sequel available, which means I can totally take my time for once and do everything.

Conezays

On the fence about what I should play next in the Yakuza series. I've played 3, 4, and Dead Souls :p Definitely still plan on picking this up; just unsure if I should ebay PS2 copy of Yakuza 1. 2 is pretty pricy which is my main issue.

deadfolk

It's not a claw :p It happened to me too, what you actually need to do is to fit the metal bar inside the hole in the middle of the panel and it'll flip the lower Miku prize so that it falls out of the machine.

Thank you so much! I knew I must have been missing something. I did try to go for the hole once
(Ooh, Matron!)
, but I must have been slightly off. I was close enough that I thought if that was right then it would have worked, so I didn't try again. Obviously too tired...

On the fence about what I should play next in the Yakuza series. I've played 3, 4, and Dead Souls :p Definitely still plan on picking this up; just unsure if I should ebay PS2 copy of Yakuza 1. 2 is pretty pricy which is my main issue.

What region? I just had a quick look, and you can pick 2 up for < £20 (PAL) or < $20 (NTSC if you don't mind disc-only). It's definitely worth that. Arguably the best in the series, according to most. I've finished 1-4 and I would say it's better than any of those. 5 is too new to compare. :)

Conezays

Thank you so much! I knew I must have been missing something. I did try to go for the hole once
(Ooh, Matron!)
, but I must have been slightly off. I was close enough that I thought if that was right then it would have worked, so I didn't try again. Obviously too tired...

What region? I just had a quick look, and you can pick 2 up for < £20 (PAL) or < $20 (NTSC if you don't mind disc-only). It's definitely worth that. Arguably the best in the series, according to most. I've finished 1-4 and I would say it's better than any of those. 5 is too new to compare. :)

NTSC. Wanna shoot me the link? (I would prefer CIB if possible though).

Trace

Banned
This crane game in the SEGA arcade is way too easy. I guarantee one of those cranes would never pick up a figure like that at an IRL sega arcade :p

Got to the Joke...hehe

Man, these games are "rehashes" but there's so much content and funny stuff in each iteration that it brings shame to some of the more popular annual franchises. Sucks that this series was never popular in the west.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game so fucking much. Just taking my time with Kiryus stuff and having an absolute blast. So good to go back to a proper brawler combat system as well - in a sea of 'Batman' combat this is so much better IMO.

I think it's one of the few games where I actively seek out random battles! Kinda surprised to see people down on Saejima, he was great in 4, but then I'm sure I'll enjoy playing them all. Sooooo good to have a new Yakuza game again.

Sgblues

I'm glad that people are seeing how great the Yakuza series is and really seeing for themselves that its not some Japanese GTA game(despite how the first game was marketed overseas) or a knockoff version of Shenmue but its own thing with its own charm and style.

deadfolk

I liked Saejima's story in Y4 too. He has an interesting but sad backstory.

I had no problem with his story. Especially (as has been stated) that any reason to get Majima in on the action is worthwhile. I just find his character to be the least interesting of the four.

pelican

I'm glad that people are seeing how great the Yakuza series is and really seeing for themselves that its not some Japanese GTA game(despite how the first game was marketed overseas) or a knockoff version of Shenmue but its own thing with its own charm and style.

Yakuza is fucking amazing.

pelican

Not downloaded it yet.

Not because I don't want to, but I want to leave if for my Christmas holiday game. If I buy it now I know I will binge it.

Roll on next Friday night and the 2 weeks of Christmas break;)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yakuza is fucking amazing.

Yes, yes it is. Especially as it's one of the few beat em up rpgs doing the rounds!

I'd be very interested to see how Yakuza 5 does for them sales wise. Simply to hope that it's enough for them to keep bringing the main games over for the fans. At least we know we're getting Yakuza 0! (well the US anyway but at least an english language version will exist)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yes, yes it is. Especially as it's one of the few beat em up rpgs doing the rounds!

I'd be very interested to see how Yakuza 5 does for them sales wise. Simply to hope that it's enough for them to keep bringing the main games over for the fans. At least we know we're getting Yakuza 0! (well the US anyway but at least an english language version will exist)

If I move to the next character, can I ever go back to the previous to do it's side content?

Started up Yakuza 4 yesterday. I can't stop playing it. If Yakuza 5 is even close to the quality of 4 I will buy it instantly.

4 has great storyline and wonderful graphics for the console its on

Stuart444

So just finished Kiryu's section...

I forgot how much I love the final fight, dodging rockets and bullets like a boss. Also Nakajima is a great boss <3. I am a little sad about Aizawa though :(.

MYeager

I disagree, When I played through the JP version, Saejima's part was the most boring.

I thought the last character was way more boring. He was nowhere near as interesting as any of the other main characters in this or Y4. Maybe the translated version will show me something about him that I'm missing(played the JP version as well). Haruka's section goes on forever if you do all the Another Drama stuff. Saejima on the other hand had
weird guided dream fantasies, bear punching, Santa Saejima, and fun fights

Help,
does anyone know how many homeless people there were in Hokkaido in 2012? I really want to get past Saejima's part but I absolutely cannot find the answer.

Stuart444

weird guided dream fantasies, bear punching, Santa Saejima, and fun fights

See, my favourite part of that was
bear!. The prison stuff was alright and the rest of it was alright but I just begun to feel bored while playing through his section. Didn't feel that with any of the others.

It probably doesn't help that I just don't like his character that much.

I loved Haruka's section just cause I'm a rhythm game fan plus I just like Haruka <3. I was so glad to be able to play as her in Yakuza 5 :D

I do like all the cities in here though regardless of what I think of the characters :)

MYeager

Help,
does anyone know how many homeless people there were in Hokkaido in 2012? I really want to get past Saejima's part but I absolutely cannot find the answer.

See, my favourite part of that was
bear!. The prison stuff was alright and the rest of it was alright but I just begun to feel bored while playing through his section. Didn't feel that with any of the others.

It probably doesn't help that I just don't like his character that much.

I loved Haruka's section just cause I'm a rhythm game fan plus I just like Haruka <3. I was so glad to be able to play as her in Yakuza 5 :D

I do like all the cities in here though regardless of what I think of the characters :)

I really enjoyed Haruka's part as well, the story part was well done. I just got tired of the same songs over and over again after a while.

Stuart444

I really enjoyed Haruka's part as well, the story part was well done. I just got tired of the same songs over and over again after a while.

Heh, fair enough. Never did the "Another drama" stuff before tbf, I just did the main story. For my EN playthrough, I'm trying to do as many substories and the "Another drama" stuff as well.

Which I am having a lot of fun doing so far :D

MYeager

Heh, fair enough. Never did the "Another drama" stuff before tbf, I just did the main story. For my EN playthrough, I'm trying to do as many substories and the "Another drama" stuff as well.

Which I am having a lot of fun doing so far :D

Haruka's Another Drama portions are great. I can't wait to play them in english to see what the hell the hand shaking weirdos are saying.

Stuart444

Haruka's Another Drama portions are great. I can't wait to play them in english to see what the hell the hand shaking weirdos are saying.

"hand shaking"? Do you mean like the hand shaking events some (AKB48) hold in Japan? (
assuming it is due to the whole idol thing with Haruka
)

ar4757

"hand shaking"? Do you mean like the hand shaking events some (AKB48) hold in Japan? (
assuming it is due to the whole idol thing with Haruka
)

It's a funny, creepy looking minigame where Haruka has to shake fans' hands. If the fan stays for too long I think security takes him away or something. I think that's accurate, saw it in the live stream a month or so ago

Top Bottom