• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
Hey all

I've decided to jump into the series and even got my PS2 fixed up so I can do it from the beginning. It's going to take awhile to get both Yakuza 1 and a new controller delivered, so I was wondering, could I jump in at 5 and go back? Or would you recommend playing them from the beginning considering I'll be playing them all anyway?

Hey all

I've decided to jump into the series and even got my PS2 fixed up so I can do it from the beginning. It's going to take awhile to get both Yakuza 1 and a new controller delivered, so I was wondering, could I jump in at 5 and go back? Or would you recommend playing them from the beginning considering I'll be playing them all anyway?

Either way is good, though a better starting point would probably be 4 in terms of story and overall action. Only issue for me personally would be going back to 1 and 2 after the gameplay improvements made from 3/4/5 etc. It'll definitely feel like a downgrade gameplay wise.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hey all

Definitely start from the beginning! I played through 1-4 for the first time this year in anticipation of 5 and it's made the experience so much better. Even the intro for 5 hits higher notes if you know the characters!

Hasney

LIFEHACK: When a car is driving towards you and you're crossing but haven't got anywhere near where the car is and has no chance of running into you, don't speed up and run full pelt into the side of the car

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
Definitely start from the beginning! I played through 1-4 for the first time this year in anticipation of 5 and it's made the experience so much better. Even the intro for 5 hits higher notes if you know the characters!

This is the answer I was after. Character stuff.
Thanks,

I feel like if they ever did move away from Kiryu as a protagonist for good, Akiyama would definitely be the replacement. Far as I can tell he's by far the most popular of the new characters. The fact that he's not yakuza might pose some problems though, I suppose.

I actually think Saejima would work better as the new "main guy" if they wanted to replace Kiryu (I haven't gotten to his section in this game yet, though). He's more tied in with more of the overarching series plot lines than Akiyama is.

jorgeton

Seriously. I don't know how many more times they can write "Dojima continues to be the worst chairman of anything ever, Kiryu steps in to clean up his mess".

Quit being such a shit, Dojima.

Oh Daigo. I have a mancrush on him, but yeah, he's useless.

Since each game has multiple main characters I think they could keep Kiryu around until he's an old man. I'd actually love to see an older, gray-haired Kiryu living in a fishing village, and a slice-of life story campaign around him. Have the younger characters deal directly with the crime aspect, but give Kiryu a portion of the game where he's running around living his life and enjoying retirement.

I do think Haruka should learn some martial arts (maybe even Kiryu's moveset?) and have her take a bigger role in the franchise. But I'm still way early in the game and have no idea what comes of her pop idol career.

Yawnier

Banned
Just finished Part 1

HOLY SHIT (major story spoilers)
No way Majima is dead. No fucking way. Dude is as tough as nails.

oneida

Missing a period at the end of the article

Also missing a period here:
Another chapter puts you in the shoes of ex-con Taiga Saejima, deep in a snowy forest and far away from the game's concrete jungles This leads to a surprisingly engrossing hunting minigame where stalking prey without startling them is harder than it looks--especially when the intensity of snowfall fluctuates frequently--causing you to take a breath and compose yourself before every shot.

Yasumi

Banned
Yakuza 5 actually has a pretty solid counter system and the combat flows pretty well thanks to mid combo BACKBREAKING THROWS YEAHHHH
Yeah, Yakuza's counter system is far more satisfying than Batman or Asscreed, since you actually have to watch what the enemies are doing, rather than just looking for squiggly lines/a glow and hitting the dedicated counter button.

I wish the enemies were more active on normal in the Yakuza games. I feel like they're always really easy until you get to Amon who attack/move 5 times faster than everyone else.

I wish the enemies were more active on normal in the Yakuza games. I feel like they're always really easy until you get to Amon who attack/move 5 times faster than everyone else.

That's why I don't touch Normal difficulty anymore, I love the series but I've gotten so used to the combat in the series that the game is far too easy on normal difficulty. Even hard mode is a tad easy at times.

DeVeAn

Inverted or normal? How you guys playing this? Most SEGA games are inverted from my memory. Playing FPS last gen messed me up with non inverted. I can't play inverted anymore even though it make sense for a 3rd person game.

5taquitos

is there a trophy for normal clear or can i just start on hard?

I'm pretty sure you want to go Normal first then Extra Hard, at least if you're trying to get the plat.

Inverted or normal? How you guys playing this? Most SEGA games are inverted from my memory. Playing FPS last gen messed me up with non inverted. I can't play inverted anymore even though it make sense for a 3rd person game.

I switched both axes to Normal, inverted was hurting my brain.

when i started my replay of yak 4 everything was set as inverted. i put erverything to normal now since some games don't offer inverted.

I'm pretty sure you want to go Normal first then Extra Hard, at least if you're trying to get the plat.

okay cool.

You start the game on normal, for the very purpose of fighting Amon lol.

Or at least I do. The secret bosses are always pretty tough.

That's why I don't touch Normal difficulty anymore, I love the series but I've gotten so used to the combat in the series that the game is far too easy on normal difficulty. Even hard mode is a tad easy at times.

Yeah, I'm mostly finding Hard to be even be on the easy side, although I'm still very early in the story since I'm mostly doing side stuff right now. I feel like Normal would be a complete cake walk.

Stuart444

Near the end of Kiryu's section now, just met with
the boss of the Yamagasa family...

Daigo is a good guy. Also I feel bad for Mayumi ;_;

Arex

Part 1 question,
So I should do all the sub stories before going to the pier right? Or will I still be able to play as Kiryu after this?

mrmyhthef

Yeah I'm seeing the issue with the comedy duo minigame. It would be absolutely trivial if you could understand and follow the dude but for us non-Japanese speakers you have to "feel" when he's done talking, which of course is a crapshoot. Think it took me about 6 tries to pass :\

Of course Saejima part is boring beyond belief :(

His part is awfully paced.
Too much time in prison and not enough time in the city. Tsukimino feels really underutilised.

Finally finished with the driving stuff, over the weekend I am sure I will make a tonne of progress my brother is off work and we can just plough through it.

Beat him in Pool, Bowling and Virtua Fighter.

Also when is Air Hockey available and is it two player?

Yawnier

Banned
Just started Saejima's part

Part 2, Chapter 1 spoilers
Why the fuck am I in this random inmates dream hanging out with a hostess? Like damn, what a buzzkill after the awesome end of Kiryu's part.

Just started Saejima's part

Part 2, Chapter 1 spoilers
Why the fuck am I in this random inmates dream hanging out with a hostess? Like damn, what a buzzkill after the awesome end of Kiryu's part.
Haha, yeah, I thought it was a bit strange. I'm on a real date with her now though. ;)

Saijima really gets slow paced sections though, it's a shame considering how much I like him.

This stupid fucking trailing mission is making me rage. I fail it so easily and it takes forever to actually play it with all the dialog with Mack before it. Goddammit...

Ok, I'm stuck on a pair of Saejima's hunting missions:

Been wandering around the mountain and I can neither find the golden stag nor find that dude who went up with his mother.

Dio

Banned
This stupid fucking trailing mission is making me rage. I fail it so easily and it takes forever to actually play it with all the dialog with Mack before it. Goddammit...

You know you properly complete a substory when it says 'resolved' next to it. I failed the trailing mission but still got 'resolved' for the substory, because you're "supposed" to fail it - that's the point of the mission, from how I understand it.

Ok, I'm stuck on a pair of Saejima's hunting missions:

Been wandering around the mountain and I can neither find the golden stag nor find that dude who went up with his mother.

Go to the very, very end over the bridge where
you fought the final boss bear. It was repaired after that fight.

Also, go to the far left near the top - almost horizontally from where you find his mother. Closer to the top, but not all the way up.

You know you properly complete a substory when it says 'resolved' next to it. I failed the trailing mission but still got 'resolved' for the substory, because you're "supposed" to fail it - that's the point of the mission, from how I understand it.

Go to the very, very end over the bridge where
you fought the final boss bear. It was repaired after that fight.

Also, go to the far left near the top - almost horizontally from where you find his mother. Closer to the top, but not all the way up.

I went there already, and there is literally nothing there. It has two trap spots and nothing. No golden stag, no dude, or his mom. I think I am misunderstanding you. Do I need to do anything in town first?

Thanks for the heads up. Since it said failed on the screen I just assumed it would be a "done" on the substory.

Also... anyone know what the last tourist spot I'm missing in Nagasugai is?

I have:
Central Negasu
Food stalls
Chikuzengawa
Don Quijote

You're supposed to fail it. I failed in in like 15 seconds because I got stuck behind a red light and still completed the substory.

Also... anyone know what the last tourist spot I'm missing in Nagasugai is?

I have:
Central Negasu
Food stalls
Chikuzengawa
Don Quijote
The bridge where you met Nakajima to go drinking. It's on the south end.

Dio

Banned
I went there already, and there is literally nothing there. It has two trap spots and nothing. No golden stag, no dude, or his mom. I think I am misunderstanding you. Do I need to do anything in town first?

Oh, that happened to me too, I think. Keep making circles around the end area with two trap spots. One time I went up there they didn't spawn until I did a couple loops around the central rock. Beware, the
stag area has a bear in it too

The
dude and his mom are further down the mountain from there. Look to the furthest right wall as you go down the mountain, she should be right next to a trapping spot. Then go directly left and explore the area to the furthest left from her.

Tizoc

Finally got around to putting 2ish hours into it.
Dang these graphics...my lappy and the PS4 have spoiled me but it's still dat good ol' Yakuza goodness.
Fukuoka isn't THAT cramped is it? I'm surprised cars are even allowed to drive like that o_O

Yo they should add street racing to Yakuza 6, get your old arcade racer peeps to work on it and you'll have made one hell of a game.

Also Taiko no Tatsujin is addicting, I take it each arcade has a different set of songs?

Stuart444

I feel like I should finish Kiryu's section soon but doing all the side stuff is so much fun. 15 substories done (I read that there is 16 doable in Kiryu's section at the start (edit: and I just found the last one of the doable ones. it was hidden behind a large S on the map >.>) ), all taxi stuff done and at max level, garbage done, etc.

Also took Riku from the hostess club out to Karaoke, dinner and won her something from the machine at Club Sega.

It's too easy to get distracted in this game >_>

Fukuoka isn't THAT cramped is it? I'm surprised cars are even allowed to drive like that o_O

Not sure if it is or not but Nagasugai (where it's set) is apparently based on Nakasu in Fukuoka and if it's like Kamurocho which is based on Kabukicho, it's probably a rather accurate depiction of the area in the game.

Oh, that happened to me too, I think. Keep making circles around the end area with two trap spots. One time I went up there they didn't spawn until I did a couple loops around the central rock. Beware, the
stag area has a bear in it too

The
dude and his mom are further down the mountain from there. Look to the furthest right wall as you go down the mountain, she should be right next to a trapping spot. Then go directly left and explore the area to the furthest left from her.

Thanks a bunch,

Gah, another find a dude somewhere quest. Know where the trapper is?

deadfolk

Okay, so I'm loving it so far and savouring every moment, because Majima only knows when the hell Zero will be released.

But...is it intentional, is it a bug or is it me...
the UFO catcher with Miku dolls in Fukuoka is broken? The claw only goes halfway back no matter what I do - and the dolls are at the back. Is there some story event that is meant to unlock these or something? I have no problem with the other machine.

Overly cautious spoiler tags, by the way. :)

oneida

Thank you everyone for spoiler tags. i habitually check the thread although finals are keeping me from playing as much as i'd like.

Top Bottom