• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Aerocrane

All Taxi Missions done. :D probably won't max out my driver level though because all I have left to grind on is free races. :/

You might want to check out free races. After completing all race missions
there's a additional race versus Furumichi.
It's really difficult because the AI catches up to you and pulls away like nothing.

LiK

HD remasters are probably a lost cause by now, but I'd say Kiwami has a chance if 0 does well.

yea, maybe they'll remake 2 as well. that was a pretty amazing entry and with Kiwami coming out, they should probably do that one as well. no more need of a PS2 for Y2 anymore and then all entries will be easily accessible!

Stuart444

It's really difficult because the AI catches up to you and pulls away like nothing.

Yeah, I know, I got beaten badly by him. I might try it again before I finish Kiryu's section though.

Also substory spoiler:
Just finished the sunshine orphanage. It was nice being able to send money to the kids for christmas and touching on the things we did in Yakuza 3. <3. Good Guy Kiryu.

Also on another substory thing, I laughed when doing "The King's Game" haha. Ok, it's not called that in English but I looked it up and it is called that in the Japanese version >.>

got some good money:
i did the zombie movie shoe-in acting last night . pretty fun memorizing the correct lines.

used that to send funds for christmas gifts.

Playing a new Yakuza in English after all these years feels so great.

Currently at very beginning of
Part 2 in Kiryu's chapter
I just can't stay focused on the main storyline when there are so many awesome side contents packed with this game.

I literally jumped into the first SEGA club that I could find and easily stayed there for an hour or so just playing new mini games :)

Right now I'm doing a few sub stories which also feel really good in a Yakuza-ish way :)

aravuus

Looks like the game has some issues with the DS4, are there any taxi missions you HAVE to do or are they just a minor side quest sort of thing? Really don't want to go dig up my DS3, not even sure where it is

Is it just me or the Yakuza GAF community has grown? I guess I am surprised this thread has so many pages already. Not complaining at all! :)

Stuart444

Looks like the game has some issues with the DS4, are there any taxi missions you HAVE to do or are they just a minor side quest sort of thing? Really don't want to go dig up my DS3, not even sure where it is

The taxi races are the main character side quest for Kiryu and must be done if you want to see them. If you don't care about the character side quest then you don't need to do it.

I HAVE JUST DELETED EVERY FUCKING FILE ON MY PS3 SO I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS DAMN GAME AND IT STILL SAYS INSUFFICENT SPACE FOR FUCK SAKE.

I have 44GB free and the game only required 22GB of space. What is going on.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(

You need 46 , not 44

Kensuke

Yeah, I know, I got beaten badly by him. I might try it again before I finish Kiryu's section though.
Holy shit, I just beat that guy. That was super tough.

I really like the low simmer of an introduction to the world with punchy combat moments and the vastness of options when walking around the town.

I HAVE JUST DELETED EVERY FUCKING FILE ON MY PS3 SO I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS DAMN GAME AND IT STILL SAYS INSUFFICENT SPACE FOR FUCK SAKE.

I have 44GB free and the game only required 22GB of space. What is going on.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(

i think you only need double the space if you do a background download. if you download while sitting in the store you only need 22 gb of free space.

aravuus

The taxi races are the main character side quest for Kiryu and must be done if you want to see them. If you don't care about the character side quest then you don't need to do it.

Well, story content is the main reason I'll be playing so I guess I should go look for that DS3

MYeager

I have no idea how pachinko works

It's pretty much like a slot machine only instead of choosing lines, you're feeding balls into the machine. You regulate the speed with which they come out, and depending on the machine there might be some slight interactive portions where you need to vary that speed. Otherwise you press the square button to select things and wait for the jackpots to happen. That's it really.

You need to talk to the other taxi drivers in the office, one of them gives you a cd and unlocks the music store on your phone.

Thanks. Know it took a bit to respond, but been playing, posting will happen less. :)

no for either game

play 2

I'd disagree a bit. Yakuza 2 has a LOT of shout outs in this game so far. Don't know where its going, but you definitely want to be up on what happened there for the full experience.

Also, beat Part 1:
Ok, the story may go to shit later, I don't know but that was IMO, one of the strongest chapters in the entire series, just on a Kiryu character level. I loved playing as him trying to move on and start a new life, I loved the interactions with Mayumi, and I ADORED the ending. That scene should go down with Tiger Punching in the Kazuma Kiryu hall of fame, he shrugs of rockets like it isn't a thing!

Now to move on to Saejima, hope it's as good!

hamchan

Pachinko has baffled me for years. What exactly am I supposed to do? And how do I do it?

Mmrghh I still haven't had time to play beyond the very first save point...... the weekend can't come fast enough.

You don't actually do anything in Pachinko. You just choose the amount of force you want the balls to shoot at and then watch the pretty lights while you lose all your money.

I have to learn how to play Shogi just for this game. Problem is the characters on the pieces look way too blurry for me to even make out!

You don't actually do anything in Pachinko. You just choose the amount of force you want the balls to shoot at and then watch the pretty lights while you lose all your money.

I have to learn how to play Shogi just for this game. Problem is the characters on the pieces look way too blurry for me to even make out!

Every game I always say that this time will be the time I finally figure out shogi, but it doesn't happen. Maybe this time will be different.

I've come to accept that I'll never understand Shogi. Mah Jong is where its at for me! I've gone from not understanding anything about the game to playing 10's of hours of it (at least) all thanks to the Yakuza series.

Darts seems really easy in this game for me, the polar opposite to 0. I guess its because I specked my darts really well, I can get ton 80's as if its going out of fashion!

I'm so glad I've got my Komaki Tiger Drop unlocked as well, by far my favourite move in the entire series, and it feels so good when you land it against a foe and your heat gauge fills to the max.

One thing I didn't understand though (very small side story spoilers):
Kamiya complains that he's short on funds so he needs your help, yet he has a big ass fish tank AND pool table at his store? Should have gotten his priorities in order!

heringer

About 7 hours in Yakuza 2 and now it's finally clicking! I still HATE the camera, but now the combat got much better with more moves and harder fights. Some bosses are pretty tough. Also, the story is getting interesting. I'm at chapter 9, how far am I? About halfway through?

Can't wait to finish and dive into 4 and than 5. Hopefully I don't burn out, heh.

(sorry posting about Yakuza 2 here, but I figure it's the most appropriate place right now)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
About 7 hours in Yakuza 2 and now it's finally clicking! I still HATE the camera, but now the combat got much better with more moves and harder fights. Some bosses are pretty tough. Also, the story is getting interesting. I'm at chapter 9, how far am I? About halfway through?

Can't wait to finish and dive into 4 and than 5. Hopefully I don't burn out, heh.

(sorry posting about Yakuza 2 here, but I figure it's the most appropriate place right now)
glad you're sticking with it. there are 16 chapters in yakuza 2. enjoy the ride!

A bit over halfway, judging by the total chapters in the game. (It's been about 6 years since I played it, so I can't really recall if some of the later chapters are shorter or longer)

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game. 2 remains my favorite even if later games have improved on the game play, mostly due to just how excellent the story is. Plus, I really enjoyed exploring Osaka.

Everyone deserves to go through the latter part of that game. The final chapter in particular is just incredible.

i hope you're enjoying story/characters too. the best.

So why does Kiryu look he's directing traffic while doing karaoke?

lh1Q20q.gif

except if the rightful singer of the chosen song isn't present he's cheering nobody at all lol

Sgblues

I've come to accept that I'll never understand Shogi. Mah Jong is where its at for me! I've gone from not understanding anything about the game to playing 10's of hours of it (at least) all thanks to the Yakuza series.

Darts seems really easy in this game for me, the polar opposite to 0. I guess its because I specked my darts really well, I can get ton 80's as if its going out of fashion!

I'm so glad I've got my Komaki Tiger Drop unlocked as well, by far my favourite move in the entire series, and it feels so good when you land it against a foe and your heat gauge fills to the max.

One thing I didn't understand though (very small side story spoilers):
Kamiya complains that he's short on funds so he needs your help, yet he has a big ass fish tank AND pool table at his store? Should have gotten his priorities in order!

Yeah Shogi I dunno and really struggle with, in Yakuza 2 you have make it to 10th dan ranking to get the past requirement for it which is bad if you know how to play and worse if you have no clue on what to do but Mahjong I really love and have completed the in game tournaments in Y4 and DS.

Yeah darts are one of my favorite bar games and one you can play with your character drunk and it helps out a lot
of course Haruka can play darts and not drink, not that she would want to regardless of being an idol or not

If Kiryu makes it into a fighting game, the tiger drop has to be one of his moves, funny that its something he didn't come up with himself but has made famous as part of his vast arsenal of moves.

Another weird fact about Kamiyama
and his twin brother for that fact, is that they both are proficient in fighting with kali sticks and are more than capable in defending themselves, yet each time Kiryu or someone else has to come save them from a situation they could easily deal with themselves.

"I swear, I was just singing away, and he starts flapping his arms like invisible cars were passing right by us. There's something wrong with that guy, and I'm not referring to all the dry blood that's always on his knuckles."

simtmb

I must admit, the big break helped me get back in and enjoy this series once again.
I had been importing all the games from Y2 and onward, up to 4 but started with the English release of the first game. Loved them so much so i imported everything, but it started dropping after the 3rd game, despite it being one of the worse entries in the series, it was the last typical Yakuza game aside from Kenzan that i enjoyed. Even though the 4th game was better, my interest and enjoyment just sort of plummeted. Then Dead Souls came, and i gave it another 'chance' so to speak, but that buried the series for me. Kenzan was my favorite of the games during this period. Perhaps the change of setting contributed to that...

So after the 4th game and Dead Souls, i dropped and forgot about the series completely, didn't import or play anything further, now back in with this one and am feeling the enjoyment i used to have.

Quite happy :)

I thought I was starting to understand it but then I lost it.

It's just gambling so I presume there is no skill involved.

Yes, it gives the player a little illusion of control and a lot of flashy lights and videos to distract them from the fact that they're throwing their money down the drain. Unless you're Kaiji and come up with a crazy convoluted plan to tilt the pachinko odds in your favor, there's nothing you can do to affect it.

Yes, it gives the player a little illusion of control and a lot of flashy lights and videos to distract them from the fact that they're throwing their money down the drain. Unless you're Kaiji and come up with a crazy convoluted plan to tilt the pachinko odds in your favor, there's nothing you can do to affect it.

Sounds like Kaiji, I presume that's the second season?

I couldn't watch past the first because its so drawn out.

I enjoy the driving stuff but I want to finish it so I can play the rest of the game...

Sounds like Kaiji, I presume that's the second season?

I couldn't watch past the first because its so drawn out.

I enjoy the driving stuff but I want to finish it so I can play the rest of the game...

Yes, it's covered in the second arc of the anime's second season. And if you thought the first season was too drawn out, oh boy. The first arc of the second season has great pacing (at least comparatively), but the pachinko arc is really draggy. And the crazy thing is that it's still super-compressed from the manga!

Kaiji's pachinko scheme is delightfully crazy, though.

Dio

Banned
Yeah, I ran that Shogidokoro program to beat that sidequest.

http://www.geocities.jp/shogidokoro/download.html

This Gamefaqs guide for Yakuza 2 applies here, too.

1. go to http://gamelab.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/SHOGI/SPEAR/spear.html and follow the installation instructions.

*IMPORTANT* you will need .NET Framework installed.
My laptop kept giving me error messages when I tried to load up the Spear engine, so I used Laramie Ver3.0 instead. (find in the engine link)
So I can GUARANTEE that you will win every single Shogi game with Laramie, but I don't know about the Spear engine.

2. After adding Laramie to the engine manager, start up a Shogi match in Yakuza 2.

3. run shogidokoro.exe, click Edit Position->Start Position Editing.

4a. If you are chosen for the first move, click Change Turn
4b. If (Yakuza 2's) AI gets the first move, just move on to the next step.

5. Click Game->Start New Game. Set yourself to be Sente, Laramie to be Gote. Choose starting position as Curent Position. Set available time to about 30min. Click OK.

6. Click View->Rotate Board.

7. From here on, you must mimic EXACTLY all the moves Yakuza 2's AI makes. Laramie will play against you, and it will ALWAYS WIN.
So basically what happens is:
Copy AI's moves onto shogidokoro->Copy Laramie's moves onto Yakuza 2->repeat. WIN.

I usually don't cheat, but fuck learning Shogi just to do a bullshit three-game sidequest.

Top Bottom