• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Kensuke

Finally started the Saejima section after doing everything in Chapter 1.
Can't believe how long the prison intro is. Feels like it's almost been 2 hours.

Stuart444

It's a funny, creepy looking minigame where Haruka has to shake fans' hands. If the fan stays for too long I think security takes him away or something. I think that's accurate, saw it in the live stream a month or so ago

So yup lol.

Also some advertisement of the Yakuza series over on Kotaku.

The Yakuza series is one of the best in video games. Sad thing is, given their delayed localisation work and reputation for being a little...different, they’re also largely ignored by the wider gaming public. I’d love it if that could change.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
is the reputation for delayed localization truly earned? across 6 localized games, only 2 took longer than a year to hit NA/EU: 2 and 5.

Ramune

Currently playing Yakuza 3, but got Yakuza 5 downloaded and ready to play when I finally get to it! Just wanted to give kudos for a masterfully done OP CJ! :)

Man, Komaki is seriously kicking my ass with that Komaki Parry. He's got way too much health now. What do I do? :(

Bring some healing items for the fight if you need it. If you still can't beat him just cheese out the fight. Just stay defending at all times. Once he starts a combo, press triangle to interrupt him then counter attack. He can't do Komaki Parry or Komaki Tiger Drop when that happens.

Cess007

I can't believe i wasted one hour of my life picking up trash. TRASH! my god, what's this game doing to me?!?!

**goes back to pick up more trash**

I can't believe i wasted one hour of my life picking up trash. TRASH! my god, what's this game doing to me?!?!

**goes back to pick up more trash**
I just did it while completing subquests and I reached s rank well in advance of advancing to the second character.

raven777

CV7BQh7XIAU8s3G.jpg:large

It's good to see very positive start on metacritics.

Cess007

I just did it while completing subquests and I reached s rank well in advance of advancing to the second character.

Even after getting S rank, I would still go out of my way to pick up trash if I saw it. :lol

I don't know why, but i just see something blinking in the distance and i just have to pick it up. I think i've been around the city 5 times now doing nothing but picking trash (and fights). I really need to stop that lol

hamchan

Finally started the Saejima section after doing everything in Chapter 1.
Can't believe how long the prison intro is. Feels like it's almost been 2 hours.

It's pretty rough. Interesting because of the story the first time through, but I can see myself just wanting to skip the whole section on replay.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
Hi All. I finished Yakuza 3 last year and enjoyed it given it was on my backlog for over 4 years lol. However I couldn't find a copy of Yakuza 4 at my local game store so I couldn't be bothered getting a copy sourced online.

Is it worth skipping Yakuza 4 to play Yakuza 5? The only thing putting me off Yakuza 5 is the multiple protagonists might make the storyline disjointed for me to follow.

Hi All. I finished Yakuza 3 last year and enjoyed it given it was on my backlog for over 4 years lol. However I couldn't find a copy of Yakuza 4 at my local game store so I couldn't be bothered getting a copy sourced online.

Is it worth skipping Yakuza 4 to play Yakuza 5? The only thing putting me off Yakuza 5 is the multiple protagonists might make the storyline disjointed for me to follow.
I'm loving Yakuza 5 but it's not like an Uncharted 1 to 2 level of improvement. Zero reason to skip Yakuza 4 before playing this one, especially given 2 of the main characters were introduced in 4.

Buy Yakuza 4 on PSN, it's 20 dollars less too.

hamchan

No. Absolutely play 4 before 5.

raven777

I recommend playing Yakuza 4 before playing Yakuza 5 since the new protagonists from Y4 is returning to Y5, so it's easier to understand.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
I recommend playing Yakuza 4 before playing Yakuza 5 since the new protagonists from Y4 is returning to Y5, so it's easier to understand.

Fair enough. For Yakuza 5, are there any overview vids that summarize the events of Yakuza 4? I remember Yakuza 3 had summary vids for the major events that occurred in Yakuza 1 and 2.

Enjoying the game so far 13hrs in, still on Kiryu doing taxi things/exploring.

Question for anyone who has done the racing.

Did the Meteor race bug out for anyone else? I raced Meteor and I lost, but the cut scene that played was the winning cutscene.

Fair enough. For Yakuza 5, are there any overview vids that summarize the events of Yakuza 4? I remember Yakuza 3 had summary vids for the major events that occurred in Yakuza 1 and 2.

Yeah there are Reminiscence videos to catch you up

Edit: that's what you get for not watching the videos. Thanks

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
Thanks everyone. I've decided to get a copy of Yakuza 4. I might have to buy it digitally from PSN as a physical copy is hard to source.

Yeah, it's ridiculously easy. It was never this easy in past games.

I still have nightmares thinking about that set of damn crane game missions in Yakuza 1. Having to collect the different coloured birds...

Then again, I did spend an awful lot of time getting the Miku figure in this game... I love and hate the crane game in this series in equal measures!

Do Taiko songs unlock over time including difficulties or are there only 3 songs?

3 songs, two difficulties only I'm afraid.

Thank you so much MYeager, phone is being lame and won't let me quote you properly.

Now, time to finish this borefest...

Edit: Yes! Finally, Haruka time!

Do you know whether is possible or not to shift to a lower difficulty level after a few fails? I started on Hard seeking for a challenge, but since I'm set on getting the platinum on this one (it would be my first platinum Ys) I'm now afraid that I might get stuck later in the game, to be more precise
on the Amon fight

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The first bit of Saejima's story is such a slog. Fortunately I'm at
the mountain
now, so hopefully it picks up from there.

I really hope in the future they can do something to make Saejima not the most boring character in the game.

The first bit of Saejima's story is such a slog. Fortunately I'm at
the mountain
now, so hopefully it picks up from there.

I really hope in the future they can do something to make Saejima not the most boring character in the game.

IMO, it does not pick up much. I love Saejima but his story scenes are always so boring or just very slow paced. I will admit that once you reach
the city
it does get a little better. I had lots of fun with his side missions.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
IMO, it does not pick up much. I love Saejima but his story scenes are always so boring or just very slow paced. I will admit that once you reach
the city

It makes it even worse that his part stands between me and what I'm pretty sure is going to be my favorite part of the game (Akiyama and Haruka).

It makes it even worse that his part stands between me and what I'm pretty sure is going to be my favorite part of the game (Akiyama and Haruka).
Yes, I finally reached Haruka's section. I was so excited. I love rhythm games and of course the Yakuza series. This was probably the part I was most excited about.

the city

Thing is I LOVE Saejima as a character. I'm in Chapter 4 of his part and he's still great. I mean
him at the end of the prison break, screaming sometimes death is the easier way out was amazing. Plus bear fight. His side story went on a little too long, but was pretty cool.

I just wish his pacing was better.

I also found one particular substory that pissed me off.
The Ramen Delivery over ice was such bullshit. One try, and failure if you do. Boo. It had been like an hour since my last save, so I just had to live with it. I hate that I only have one of the stories as DONE though.
That won't stop me from acheivements or Amon right?

Thing is I LOVE Saejima as a character. I'm in Chapter 4 of his part and he's still great. I mean
him at the end of the prison break, screaming sometimes death is the easier way out was amazing. Plus bear fight. His side story went on a little too long, but was pretty cool.

I just wish his pacing was better.

I also found one particular substory that pissed me off.
The Ramen Delivery over ice was such bullshit. One try, and failure if you do. Boo. It had been like an hour since my last save, so I just had to live with it. I hate that I only have one of the stories as DONE though.
That won't stop me from acheivements or Amon right?

You'll be fine for trophies and Amon. I failed on exactly the same bit and wasn't locked out of anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys, quick question, would appreciate a reply.

Does money etc transfer from chapter to chapter, or should i spend all the money and sell all the gold plates to upgrade the shops ? since I'm sure the game literally said the store levels will carry over.

Should i safely go ahead and sell all my gold plates to upgrade the weapon shop ?

Top Bottom