• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

GReeeeN

for those that have played/ finished Yakuza 3, once you go back to the city/ take the flight to leave Okinawa, are there any more sections of the game in Okinawa (more specifically the orphanage w/ kids missions?)

I've spent quiet a while doing the various missions for the kids, and its starting to feel "draggy", running around looking for lost dogs, getting new clothes for kids, etc. I'm considering jumping right into Yakuza 4 or even 5, but if the story starts to pick up soon, ill stick with 3.

Just want to get a general idea of what I can expect from 3 going forward, how much longer of the story have I got?

New Review from Metro
7/10

What I find interesting about both this and the gamespot review is that both read as if the game should be getting like a point higher than it actually does. The Gamespot review reads like a 9 this reads like around an 8.

Thing is I LOVE Saejima as a character. I'm in Chapter 4 of his part and he's still great. I mean
him at the end of the prison break, screaming sometimes death is the easier way out was amazing. Plus bear fight. His side story went on a little too long, but was pretty cool.

I just wish his pacing was better.

I also found one particular substory that pissed me off.
The Ramen Delivery over ice was such bullshit. One try, and failure if you do. Boo. It had been like an hour since my last save, so I just had to live with it. I hate that I only have one of the stories as DONE though.
That won't stop me from acheivements or Amon right?
Don't get me wrong, I love Saejima and the action he's involved in
such as the prison break, which was crazy and awesome. The bear fight was great as well, I just wish that we could have fought it sooner. The hunting side missions were cool but after awhile it just became a chore for me.
I just wish the pacing was better too. It's insane at how slow it is.

I'm shocked but I actually
passed the Ramen Delivery side mission the first time. I have no clue how I managed to pull it off because I seen the bowl tip and slide so many times. I had many close calls with civilians too.

Stuart444

Guys, quick question, would appreciate a reply.

Does money etc transfer from chapter to chapter, or should i spend all the money and sell all the gold plates to upgrade the shops ? since I'm sure the game literally said the store levels will carry over.

Should i safely go ahead and sell all my gold plates to upgrade the weapon shop ?

I believe things combine near the end when you get access to all characters but until then, they are separated.

for those that have played/ finished Yakuza 3, once you go back to the city/ take the flight to leave Okinawa, are there any more sections of the game in Okinawa (more specifically the orphanage w/ kids missions?)

I've spent quiet a while doing the various missions for the kids, and its starting to feel "draggy", running around looking for lost dogs, getting new clothes for kids, etc. I'm considering jumping right into Yakuza 4 or even 5, but if the story starts to pick up soon, ill stick with 3.

Just want to get a general idea of what I can expect from 3 going forward, how much longer of the story have I got?

I loved doing all the orphanage stuff myself but it does pick up in non-Okinawa stuff once you first leave properly.

It's been a while but I'm sure there is more stuff in Okinawa (more 'serious' stuff than just helping the kids out I mean) so stick with it I say. After all, you've come quite far, might as well stick it out.

(I hesitate to say how far you are since it's been a long time since I've played it but I do know it picks up once you leave Okinawa)

Anyone know if that one song is removed the one where you play as Shinada in his fight against
Daigo
don't click the spoiler if you haven't reached far in Shinada's arc I just wanna know if the song is there

Kain

Minor spoilers from Saejima's story

that has to be the worst depicted bear I've ever seen in any media. Even Winnie the Pooh looks more like a bear than that thing lol

Just finished Kiryu's part.

That final battle was actually amazing. I'm sad there wasn't a 'real' boss for him at the end. I was kinda hoping him and Watase would go at it.
And that ending stinger. Majima can't be dead, they wouldn't kill him off screen would they? Hey at least it worked, now I want to play on.

And lastly, that final cutscene with Kiryu
it is always great when Kiryu suits up into his dumb suit <3

I'll have to start Saejima's later. I need to catch up on uni work. After that I'll probably binge on Yakuza 5.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

chapter 4 is when yakuza 3 becomes enjoyable
yes you return to okinawa
unfortunately
you are maybe 1/3 through the game
if youre hurting for another yakuza dont skip 4 and go to 5, play 4

MYeager

I just wish the pacing was better too. It's insane at how slow it is.

I felt like the pacing was the worst of the series for the whole game. 3 might've started out slow but intentional and then picked up. For me every time the game feels like each time it picks up it starts over slow with a new character. It's still a great game and if anything it's going slower for me now that I'm doing all the taxi missions too (only did the racing ones in the JP version) but I'm still having a great time replaying everything. I guess my game saves weren't compatible but all my trophies are now in English. I thought I'd get doubles :)

Arex

Lol on Part 2
I thought Baba was gonna get shot, it's somewhat very similar to Rikiya scene in Yakuza 3, I hope he survives though, haven't reach that far yet

Peff

New Review from Metro
7/10

What I find interesting about both this and the gamespot review is that both read as if the game should be getting like a point higher than it actually does. The Gamespot review reads like a 9 this reads like around an 8.

Heh, they also make the mistake of assuming there is no counter. Perhaps they made the training fights a little too hard considering you don't get the move until you win.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Heh, they also make the mistake of assuming there is no counter. Perhaps they made the training fights a little too hard considering you don't get the move until you win.

And it's funny because as long as you stay stocked up on healing items (which is super easy considering the frequency with which enemies drop them after battles) you virtually never have to worry about actually losing a fight.

Two questions. one related to both 5 and zero.

One of my biggest problems were that the dialogue in 4 lacked voice acting outside the cut scenes and watching Zeros demo on youtube it seems that it's in there so is it the same in 5?

Two questions. one related to both 5 and zero.

One of my biggest problems were that the dialogue in 4 lacked voice acting outside the cut scenes and watching Zeros demo on youtube it seems that it's in there so is it the same in 5?

From what I have played of 5, more of the dialogue is voiced than any previous Yakuza game. But there is still dialogue that is unvoiced, particularly for incidental characters.

Stuart444

So I'm looking up on where the cities are based on in real life:

Tsukimino, Sapporo is based on Susukino district
Kamurocho, Tokyo is based on Kabukicho in Shinjuku
Soutenbori, Osaka is based on D&#333;tonbori
Nagasugai, Fukuoka is based on Nakasu

Only one I can't find info on is Kineicho, Nagoya.

(info from: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Locations/Areas/Kineicho.htm - which only mentions that they think it's Buheichou) If any of this is incorrect, blame it on that XD.

But yeah, not surprising, 3 of them are based on the red light districts (Nakasu, Susukino and Kabukicho).

Thought some might be interested though on where each city is based on. :)

Need some help here, for one of Saejima's missions
homeless guy made me find a certain phone box, I've checked all of them to be sure, matching them against the photo, but nothing is happening and the homeless guy has disappeared..

I'm going to search again and come back, this might not be the right location.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How is that a good thing?

Not saying it is. Just saying that if you're losing the training fights with Komaki, you should probably be healing more often.

I would definitely like to see some sort of mode or difficulty setting in Yakuza where you can only heal outside of battle, though. Would make things interesting, for sure.

Need some help here,
for one of Saejima's missions a homeless guy made me find certain phone box (it's the one one on the map that isn't marked across the street from the Ice statues), I've checked all of them to be sure, matching them against the photo, but nothing is happening and the homeless guy has disappeared..

You should move the spoiler tags down a bit so people can see that you're asking about Saejima's chapter.

Need some help here,
for one of Saejima's missions a homeless guy made me find certain phone box (it's the one one on the map that isn't marked across the street from the Ice statues), I've checked all of them to be sure, matching them against the photo, but nothing is happening and the homeless guy has disappeared..
It's in front of the dumpling shop. I think it's the middle intersection on the right hand side.

Doing all the hunting stuff is gonna take a while. Not that it's immensely boring or anything, just a bit slow to go and whatnot. Kinda missing Saejima's old moveset from 4, however...here you just don't get that instant turn radius on the charge attacks as previous. Gonna make the coliseum interesting to fight through.

So it turns out that if you progress far enough with Saejima's trainer,
Saejima learns his own version of the Komaki Tiger Drop. No counter mechanic in the game, eh?

Bio-Frost

Just now getting to chapter 4 in part 1. Loving the game so much. Just got past where I stopped playing my Japanese copy so all new stuff from here on out!

IrishNinja

haven't got past chapter 1, day 2 because ive decided to abandon the way of the yakuza for taxi life
it's been real bros

CV7BQh7XIAU8s3G.jpg:large

It's good to see very positive start on metacritics.

that is awesome! how do they normally fare?

KIRYU'S PART FINALE

haha, damn...had fun with that game too though!

Yes!! Miku get! I found listening for the crane's bleepy sounds instead of trying to aim it myself to be really effective. Three bloops and I was golden. I even got two.............

Top Bottom