• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

3 songs with 2 difficulties in taiko is kinda a rip, lol. even the free demo for the vita game has more content than that. plus it's not a very good engine, it has some missing note types and effects as well as a few graphical errors.

would definitely love to see it return in 6, though. i think it can serve its purpose of basically being an advertisement for the games while also being more substantial.

Yawnier

Banned
The first bit of Saejima's story is such a slog. Fortunately I'm at
the mountain
now, so hopefully it picks up from there.

I really hope in the future they can do something to make Saejima not the most boring character in the game.

Yeah, Saejima's
jail section
has been really slow so far

for those that have played/ finished Yakuza 3, once you go back to the city/ take the flight to leave Okinawa, are there any more sections of the game in Okinawa (more specifically the orphanage w/ kids missions?)

I've spent quiet a while doing the various missions for the kids, and its starting to feel "draggy", running around looking for lost dogs, getting new clothes for kids, etc. I'm considering jumping right into Yakuza 4 or even 5, but if the story starts to pick up soon, ill stick with 3.

Just want to get a general idea of what I can expect from 3 going forward, how much longer of the story have I got?

The second half of Yakuza 3 is a lot more interesting than the first half, if it is any consolation. Iirc there is way less focus on the orphans and more on the Yakuza

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
6 better have Tanimura playable. Every other character from 4 has had at LEAST 2 games playable. Saejima 4 &5, Akiyama has 4, Dead Souls, and 5, and Kiryu has every game.

Stuart444

Iirc there is way less focus on the orphans and more on the Yakuza

See to me, the orphan stuff is some of my favourite stuff in the game, lots of character development/character building (which
is referenced in a side quest in Y5
) and it gives some nice growth to Kiryu.

I might be a bit bias'd because it was my first exposure to the series but I loved all of it in Y5, both the first and second half. I also had no read up much on it or anything so I had NO IDEA about the cut content until well after so it didn't sour my enjoyment of the game (though I was glad that nothing was cut from Yakuza 4 of course).

So yeah, I'm thankful to Yakuza 3 for getting me into the series <3. I was kinda sad that they moved away from the orphanage in 4/5 but it's nice that they still reference it. Okinawa was just a nice pleasant place more or less as well.

Megauap

Just bought the game from the European store. It will be my next game after I finish Dragon Age Inquisition. I also have to plug in my PS3 that I put away a year ago.

Yawnier

Banned
See to me, the orphan stuff is some of my favourite stuff in the game, lots of character development/character building (which
is referenced in a side quest in Y5
) and it gives some nice growth to Kiryu.

I might be a bit bias'd because it was my first exposure to the series but I loved all of it in Y5, both the first and second half. I also had no read up much on it or anything so I had NO IDEA about the cut content until well after so it didn't sour my enjoyment of the game (though I was glad that nothing was cut from Yakuza 4 of course).

So yeah, I'm thankful to Yakuza 3 for getting me into the series <3. I was kinda sad that they moved away from the orphanage in 4/5 but it's nice that they still reference it. Okinawa was just a nice pleasant place more or less as well.

Yakuza 3 was my first exposure to the series too, but wasn't that big on the orphanage section. Yakuza 5 spoilers
I do like that they referenced it in Yakuza 5 though, in both the main story and in a substory

deadfolk

Kamurocho, Tokyo is based on Kabukicho in Shinjuku

It's really recognisable, too. I went to Tokyo with a friend some years ago, and when playing the Yakuza games, it really feels like I'm back there. Not the layout, but the type of buildings and shops, etc. It's so nostalgic for me, just walking around a faux Shinjuku.

The Don Quixote theme just clinches the deal! Don Don Don, Donkey... Donkey... Ho-o... Tay...

Gacha-pin

So I'm looking up on where the cities are based on in real life:

Tsukimino, Sapporo is based on Susukino district
Kamurocho, Tokyo is based on Kabukicho in Shinjuku
Soutenbori, Osaka is based on D&#333;tonbori
Nagasugai, Fukuoka is based on Nakasu

Only one I can't find info on is Kineicho, Nagoya.

(info from: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Locations/Areas/Kineicho.htm - which only mentions that they think it's Buheichou) If any of this is incorrect, blame it on that XD.

But yeah, not surprising, 3 of them are based on the red light districts (Nakasu, Susukino and Kabukicho).

Thought some might be interested though on where each city is based on. :)

It's based on two locations combined, Sakae abd Nishiki in Nagoya.

The name also comes from them.
In Japanese/kanji; Nishiki/&#37670; + Sakae/&#26628; = Kineicho/&#37670;&#26628;&#30010;

Saejima ending spoilers

Of course Baba was manipulating Saejima the entire time, and of course Saejima forgives him for it. This guy is even more of a sentimentalist than Kiryu. Also who else saw that assassination attempt a mile away? Why would you talk about great matters in front of glass like that lol

Tizoc

Slowly making my way thru Kiryu's story, did some races but
The Purple car race, I failed it the first time, will try again later

Other than that
Must
collect
shiny

SHINY

Also I put a fire decal on my taxi, yeah, COME AT ME SUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Gotta say though ar handling is quite good in this game.

Nottle

So a few questions.

Is there a coliseum in the city Kazuma starts in?

Also where do i go to see more of the food masters stuff? I recommended 3 places and then he gave some hint of another restaurant.

So a few questions.

Is there a coliseum in the city Kazuma starts in?

Also where do i go to see more of the food masters stuff? I recommended 3 places and then he gave some hint of another restaurant.

There's a fight challenge called Victory Road.

Go to Ramen stalls in SW corner

Mid to late game spoilers (read at your own risk, it's a pretty big one):
Oh. My. Gosh. Majima is Ms. Park's ex husband. WHAT?! WHAT?! I cannot believe this.

Kaizer

Banned
SUUUUUUPER late on this, but I literally just beat Yakuza 4 about an hour ago lol. I had a save from July 2012 right before the final mission and realized I never beat it. The final boss fights were fun, I forgot how great Yakuza combat feels.

Anyway, now I'm all ready for Yakuza 5, is it just as good or better than 4? Y4 has been my favorite in the series thus far.

SUUUUUUPER late on this, but I literally just beat Yakuza 4 about an hour ago lol. I had a save from July 2012 right before the final mission and realized I never beat it. The final boss fights were fun, I forgot how great Yakuza combat feels.

Anyway, now I'm all ready for Yakuza 5, is it just as good or better than 4? Y4 has been my favorite in the series thus far.
That's hard to say...I haven't beat it yet, but I must say Part 3 Chapter 4 certainly has me sitting on the edge of my seat.

There aren't any missable substories right? I maxxed out Saejima, so I think I'm gonna wait until the final chapter in order to do these as I heard
that you can level to 25 then. It seems dumb to waste 6000+ XP if I can do these later.

Played a little bit of Saejima's first chapter. Currently
trying to prove Baba's innocent.

I know most of you guys hate the
Prison Break (TV Show)
feeling that it has going on for it, but personally I love it :)
Is there a video recap of 4's story anywhere? I can't remember what happened in it and reading one is a bit confusing.

From the OP:
Yakuza 4 recap (27m) -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOeiDUAU8U

I love how Kiryu uses Suzuki as an alias. That's as generic as last names get in Japan, so he's clearly really hardcore about keeping on the low.
Until he starts beating up everyone.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I assume the final boss
had the max amount of health bars
? Was a fun fight.

Time to mop up side content.

Should also start the copy of Ishin I have.

There aren't any missable substories right? I maxxed out Saejima, so I think I'm gonna wait until the final chapter in order to do these as I heard
that you can level to 25 then. It seems dumb to waste 6000+ XP if I can do these later.

I think you can do everything at the end of the game except for Haruka's content.

From the OP:

I know those recaps exist, but they are pretty much in ubsubtitled Japanese. The community should probably get around to subbing them, so as to help ease people in to the series.

I think you can do everything at the end of the game except for Haruka's content.

Ok, here's hoping. I assume there will be some way to return to cities as I was never given the quest to take pictures in Sapporo, and I know that's a trophy.

MYeager

See to me, the orphan stuff is some of my favourite stuff in the game

To be honest when I played the Japanese version and I didn't have the translation of what was going on, I just assumed everyone was an orphan and that's why they were angry because it's a Yakuza game. The bear was an orphan for example.

Yakuza 6 really needs a character that flat out kills people, the series's "nonlethal" combat is a bit silly at this point. Plus there are so many cuscenes with "I won't kill you but......" and it always leads to terrible things happening. I just a character to finally say "Nah" *stabs to death*

Every single time I see this thread in the first page I want to listen to the m.o.v.e single.

Goddamnit thread, stop tempting me.

---

On topic, I'll buy Y0 so I'll meet you guys in the next OT.

I know those recaps exist, but they are pretty much in ubsubtitled Japanese. The community should probably get around to subbing them, so as to help ease people in to the series.
Sorry, I had not watch it myself so I didn't realize it was without subtitles.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Hopefully fans with Japanese knowledge will eventually get around to subbing them.

raven777

like the last 7 taxi missions were all just talking to the passengers (with few of them leading to other stuff)

I just want my normal taxi driving!!

Should I go straight into yak 5 or play 4. Honestly time is limited so I'd rather play the one with better gameplay. Maybe wAtch the recap of 4 on youtube.

Cess007

8hrs into the game i think i've just made a couple of story missions at all. I finally became S-rank at picking up trash and being doing nothing but the side-missions lol

I really need to leave the sidequest aside and focus on the story, but it's impossible :v

So ok, playing through Saejima's story tonight, haven't finished it yet.. but cmon..

Clearly, him fighting a bear is a Hajime no Ippo reference, I mean he's voiced by Rikya Koyama goddamnit

Tizoc

8hrs into the game i think i've just made a couple of story missions at all. I finally became S-rank at picking up trash and being doing nothing but the side-missions lol

I really need to leave the sidequest aside and focus on the story, but it's impossible :v

S-ranking the trash was so easy.
7 hours in and just finsihed 5% of the full game lol

DasFool

This game has 50 different games inside of it. I'm on Haruka's chapter and could see myself spending 20 hours just doing all her dance battles. Damn near 40 hours and 22% complete.

Does anyone know if you can go back to the mountain after you leave?

Yes, you can take a taxi back to the village.

Top Bottom