• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Play Yakuza 4. I don't think there's an English one around.

Time restricts me to either one or the other. And I might as well go after the most recent one right? At least that's the logic that I have. Maybe I can burn through 4 on normal mode and skip out on All the side stuff and do main missions? I'm sure I could burn through the game that way right. Then jump to Yakuza 5 proper?

Hasney

Time restricts me to either one or the other. And I might as well go after the most recent one right? At least that's the logic that I have. Maybe I can burn through 4 on normal mode and skip out on All the side stuff and do main missions? I'm sure I could burn through the game that way right. Then jump to Yakuza 5 proper?

I'd probably try and burn through it, or watch a playthrough on YouTube. 5 assumes you know what happened in 4 and doesn't recap much, at least from what I've seen so far.

Gameplays fantastic and would be worth playing 5 even if you don't know what's going on, but if you like story in your games, I'd probably at least get the jist of 4.

aravuus

There's at least a couple of let's plays of Yakuza 4, too. You could skip most of the gameplay with those and just watch the cutscenes, I'd imagine it wouldn't take very long.

cj_iwakura

The OP has a story recap for Yakuza 4 but there are no English subtitles. Solution?

Yeah, sorry, it's all I could find. :( If you want, the only absolute key point is how it ends:

Kiryu and Saejima go back to the Tojo and take over. Which of course doesn't stay that way because it's a Yakuza ending.

Has anyone played through the first PSP game? I managed to pick it up for a tenner, couldn't resist as I didn't even have to import it to England.

aravuus

Uhhhh, PS3's system info says there's 47GB of free space, but PS Store says it might not be enough and it could need 2+ gigabytes more to install. European version here, should I just go ahead with the download, is it bullshitting me?

I've deleted literally everything on the original 60gb HDD

Tizoc

Uhhhh, PS3's system info says there's 47GB of free space, but PS Store says it might not be enough and it could need 2+ gigabytes more to install. European version here, should I just go ahead with the download, is it bullshitting me?

I've deleted literally everything on the original 60gb HDD

I say go for it, the game would tell you if you needed more space by the tmie you start the installation.

cj_iwakura

Has anyone played through the first PSP game? I managed to pick it up for a tenner, couldn't resist as I didn't even have to import it to England.

I've seen screens of it thanks to the fan translation. It looks kind of thin, but fun.

I REALLY want the sequel(and Tatsuya's cat army).

aravuus

I say go for it, the game would tell you if you needed more space by the tmie you start the installation.

Yeah, purchased. I can just take the SDD I've got hooked up on my Wii U if the HDD isn't enough, although losing the 100-hour save I've got on XBX would be a shame lol

I've seen screens of it thanks to the fan translation. It looks kind of thin, but fun.

I REALLY want the sequel(and Tatsuya's cat army).

Theres a fan translation? I'll have to look into that. I am trying to collect all the Yakuza games so I'll get to teh sequel eventually its a lot more expensive though sadly.

cj_iwakura

Theres a fan translation? I'll have to look into that. I am trying to collect all the Yakuza games so I'll get to teh sequel eventually its a lot more expensive though sadly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015285

Still in the works, looks solid though.

4oXDCdT.png

Needs a thinner font, IMO.

i just did a Y4 replay. you can burn through this game quite fast just following the story marking. you can skip unnecessary text by holding R1+X at light speed. i think the spectacle and fighting are worth it. can be done on a weekend if you're dedicated.

Yakuza 4 is too good to be rushed through. I would recommend playing through it leisurely, enjoying all the side content it has, and then later, whenever there's time, play through 5.

Ok, greatest moment so far in Haruka's side stuff:
Did the Pool challenge show perfectly, went first, sunk the 6 on the break, sunk the 1 on the next shot, sunk the 9 in a combo off the 2 in the second shot. The other idol didn't even have a chance to go. 100% shot making. I just imagine Haruka being all, "I've been going to pool halls and gambling dens since I was nine, bitch!"

Tizoc

One of the things I disliked while playing Yakuza 4 was that they talked for oh so frikkin' long during cutscenes. Surely there was a much faster way of saying whatever the heck you're trying to say?

I seriously can't make progress in this game. Work is killing me so I end up falling asleep. I am still on CH 1 pt 3 now, doing side quests and shit but I feel I'm reaching against time.

I hate my job but I love this game!

I've played through all of it. Its a good game, its probably my least favourite game in the series (not counting Dead Souls) and that's mainly down to the combat being a more 1 on 1 affair as opposed to fighting against multiple opponents at one time. That and the main character is quite the asshole for 90% of the game (he gets better late in the game).

I do love the boss battles in this game (which the game is basically centered around), at the end of each chapter you battle against a boss in the arena, and they feel pretty damn epic.

It is a pretty feature full game though - it feels like a PS2 Yakuza game - down to the camera angles you get when exploring the city. All the usual stores and mini games are included along with side stories etc.

The fighting system is done by a completely different company though - its done by the same guys that did the Smackdown and Def Jam games. So you get tons of different fighting styles with different combos so its a rather unique selling point for the two PSP games.

Well worth playing, I still need to play the second game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Here's a tip to make some of Saejima's side-missions on the
mountain
go much faster:

Always keep at least one of every animal part. The merchant guy will have some side-missions for you involving getting him certain animal stuff. As long as you actually hunt while you're out doing the story related stuff, you should already have all this stuff. Don't sell all of it. As I said, keep one of everything set aside for the side-missions. I just knocked all but the first one out in one go, without having to go back out hunting.

Hasney

Just abuse the Heat acions during races and you're golden
Heat areas disappear after they're used so for the one next to the finish line, save that one for the last lap.

And have your boost for the end of it too. Even after explosive acceleration, the leader of the Devil Killers pipped me until I did that.

Ok, back to the Haruka chapter:

I have to give the game props in making me feel a bit skeezed out over the whole thing. It's Haruka's dream and all, but stuff like the running girl stuff is creepy as all hell. Kinda feel like Kaz must, happy she's doing well, but I imagine he's not too thrilled with the quick change costume. Yeesh. The last weird part was going to visit the fashion expert and she sent Haruka off for some prescription "Chinese medication". Great, next she'll be buying blow.

Hasney

The fighting system is done by a completely different company though - its done by the same guys that did the Smackdown and Def Jam games. So you get tons of different fighting styles with different combos so its a rather unique selling point for the two PSP games.

Not Smackdown, but the N64 wrestling games. Just wanted to point that out because saying Yuke's did it might scare people off!

raven777

Looking for
Yhata
is pretty annoying...
Mindlessly walking around the map looking for red tracksuit group -> fight but get no info so look for another... @ fights already and it's kinda annoying.

Hasney

I think I've won at Aladdin Destiny EX Pachinko? I've had a multi-minute cutscene after getting 8 8 8 and it's counting up rounds and told me to stop the balls I think.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
it would make more sense to only play Yakuza 4 if you only had time for one.

mrmyhthef

Looking for
Yhata
is pretty annoying...
Mindlessly walking around the map looking for red tracksuit group -> fight but get no info so look for another... @ fights already and it's kinda annoying.

That part isn't so bad.
Are you talking to the bystanders? Sometimes they will straight up tell you where to need to go.

Jornax

Does anyone know what the point is of sending money to the orphanage? Do you get it back later in the game or get some kind of tiered reward for it down the line? I'm in the middle of part 1 and already walking around with 400,000+ Yen due to fight reward plates, don't know how much I should send of that amount...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Does anyone know what the point is of sending money to the orphanage? Do you get it back later in the game or get some kind of tiered reward for it down the line? I'm in the middle of part 1 and already walking around with 400,000+ Yen due to fight reward plates, don't know how much I should send of that amount...
theres a trophy iirc

people keep looking for "points" to things in these games... theres no point to the ufo catcher except to enjoy ufo catchers.

Stuart444

Trophy if you send 5m between Kiryu/Haruka.

There is also a side quest which involves sending money there as well though not nearly as much as you need for the trophy lol.

MYeager

Should I go straight into yak 5 or play 4. Honestly time is limited so I'd rather play the one with better gameplay. Maybe wAtch the recap of 4 on youtube.

Play 4. You can get it cheaper, it introduces a bunch of new characters so there's more exposition trying to explain who they are and the background, the story has better pacing, the combat mechanics haven't really changed much, and that game is still pretty long even if you decide to try and skip all the side content. If you don't like it than you probably wouldn't like 5 either and you'll have saved yourself a couple of bucks.

MYeager

Other than trophies you get the satisfaction of knowing Kazuma is still continuing to support the Orphanage.

Finally done with all that hunting rigmarole. Took a good while, but all came together there in the end. For anyone who needs help with that final rifle test: shoot the deer as soon as they appear. That cuts down on the possibility of the others hearing after being spawned and running like hell for the right side of the screen, you missing, and having to reload it yet again.

That's another thing. Why can I only eat one sushi roll at a time? The constant kick to the street makes me think they don't want Saejima eating their delicious artistry.

Top Bottom