• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

aravuus

The Pawn Store. It's located on Gion Street in the first part.

Thanks!

Only a couple of hours in, done a couple of side quests, beaten up a few gangs and so far I'm loving it. Thank god the game starts with Kiryu, much easier to get into it with such a great character. Getting into Yakuza 4 took me a while because of the first dude. He was fine, but no Kiryu.

e: holy shit, face-stomping people is the most satisfying thing ever

hamchan

After watching the (long) cutscene at the start of Part 1, Chapter 4, I have to say that
anyone talking shit about Daigo or saying he's useless clearly has no clue what they're going on about. The dude is extremely sharp, and a good chairman for the clan. He navigate that minefield like a champ.

Or another way to look at it: He has no control over his own men so now people can get away with betraying him. So much so that he has to go into hiding to avoid getting assassinated, while his clan starts crumbling with the instability that causes, leaving Kiryu to fix his mess once again.

It is pretty bad that he's had three games now of relying on the fourth chairman to save his ass or kick his ass. It's really not a good look.

Daigo remains a bad chairman.

Or another way to look at it: He has no control over his own men so now people can get away with betraying him. So much so that he has to go into hiding to avoid getting assassinated, while his clan starts crumbling with the instability that causes, leaving Kiryu to fix his mess once again.

It is pretty bad that he's had three games now of relying on the fourth chairman to save his ass or kick his ass. It's really not a good look.

Daigo remains a bad chairman.

Traitors are nothing new in the Tojo Clan, or other Yakuza groups in general. The Tojo Clan is too big to be able to control everyone in it, and there are too many ambitious people. He's also lost some of the more trustworthy people he could rely on such as Kashiwagi in recent years. Only Majima is really someone in a prominent position within the group who Daigo can count on, but he's also a bit unpredictable.

I mean, by this standard pretty much everyone in the series is a bad chairman.

Daigo is shrewd enough to see the trap coming, realize that there must be another traitor aside from Aoyama, and to come up with a sensible way of going off the radar for a little while to sort things out on his own. And he makes sure to square things away with Madarame since he's going to be the one most impacted by this in the meantime.

hamchan

Traitors are nothing new in the Tojo Clan, or other Yakuza groups in general. The Tojo Clan is too big to be able to control everyone in it, and there are too many ambitious people. He's also lost some of the more trustworthy people he could rely on such as Kashiwagi in recent years. Only Majima is really someone in a prominent position within the group who Daigo can count on, but he's also a bit unpredictable.

I mean, by this standard pretty much everyone in the series is a bad chairman.

Daigo is shrewd enough to see the trap coming, realize that there must be another traitor aside from Aoyama, and to come up with a sensible way of going off the radar for a little while to sort things out on his own. And he makes sure to square things away with Madarame since he's going to be the one most impacted by this in the meantime.

I don't know if you've finished the chapter so I don't want to say too much but his absence nearly causes a war that was only prevented by Kiryu stepping in and doing something no one could expect another human to do. I'm only halfway through the story in Saejima's part now so I don't know if there will be a turnaround and he'll do something awesome (which over the last two games he hasn't done yet as chairman) but from my view it looks like he's hiding away saving himself while leaving the clan to its own devices, which has already nearly led to disaster, and this is only part 1!

Yawnier

Banned
Saejima Chapter 4 Question, can't find a character

Where the hell is this Kiyotaka guy in Tsuikimino? I don't see a covered shopping area

Edit: Nevermind, found it 20 secs after writing this post lol

I don't know if you've finished the chapter so I don't want to say too much but his absence nearly causes a war that was only prevented by Kiryu stepping in and doing something no one could expect another human to do. I'm only halfway through the story in Saejima's part now so I don't know if there will be a turnaround and he'll do something awesome (which over the last two games he hasn't done yet as chairman) but from my view it looks like he's hiding away saving himself while leaving the clan to its own devices, which has already nearly led to disaster, and this is only part 1!

That's all true, but think about how much worse that war could have gotten if Daigo was killed rather than just disappearing. Nothing about Part 1 indicates that Daigo is trying to save his own skin. I'm sure he has some plan in the works that will play out by the end of the game.

You can certainly blame Daigo for things getting to the state they were by the start of the game, but from the moment he went to Fukuoka he was doing the only play he had left. Make himself scarce, find out exactly who his enemies are, and put together a counterattack.

LiK

Finished the racing sidequest. Holy shit, the story and characters were great. Already better than most sidequests I played in other games this year. Can't wait to play the other sidequests!

Finished the racing sidequest. Holy shit, the story and characters were great. Already better than most sidequests I played in other games this year. Can't wait to play the other sidequests!

Make sure you try the secret boss for the racing section. He is pretty tough

Squishy3

62% done downloading.

Digital will never be the future with these ISPs.
It's not even an issue with ISPs, Sony's network doesn't even come close to capping out my speed, and I don't even have ridiculously good internet. I can download a 45 gigabyte game on Steam in the same amount of time it took for me to download Yakuza 5. Someone I know with Gigabit internet was downloading games that were Yakuza 5's size in 5 minutes on Steam.

I mean, Steam is the outlier in server->home PC download speeds, in where it can match what anyone can throw at it, it's still kind of ridiculous when I have mediocre internet and can download a game nearly twice the size of Yakuza 5 in 7 hours.

hamchan

That's all true, but think about how much worse that war could have gotten if Daigo was killed rather than just disappearing. Nothing about Part 1 indicates that Daigo is trying to save his own skin. I'm sure he has some plan in the works that will play out by the end of the game.

You can certainly blame Daigo for things getting to the state they were by the start of the game, but from the moment he went to Fukuoka he was doing the only play he had left. Make himself scarce, find out exactly who his enemies are, and put together a counterattack.

I'm hoping he does come back with a master plan that wins the day. I feel he's been the victim of the writing always wanting to bring back Kiryu to be the hero of every game by having the Tojo clan be in some sort trouble. Each of the games always opens up with Daigo being shot or being bullied by some other clan despite the Tojo being the biggest group in half of the country.

If Daigo can bring it back and be the hero of 5 then that would be a very welcome change. I kinda got the sense that, with his initial reluctance to help, Kiryu wanted Daigo to solve the problems on his own and really establish himself as the chairman.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Onto Saejimas part now and
Just started in the little hunting village after escaping prison
Still loving it and if the other 3 parts remain as good as this it will very likely be my GOTY to be honest. Love this series.

Just finished chapter 1. Only managed to find 16/18 substories, and I just realized I forgot to do the camera event. Will either of these things come back to bite me later?

Just finished chapter 1. Only managed to find 16/18 substories, and I just realized I forgot to do the camera event. Will either of these things come back to bite me later?

You'll be fine. You'll be able to travel back to previous cities either at (minor spoilers)
the end of the game
or in premium adventure mode. Either way I don't believe its possible to actually miss any content or side stories in this game.

It's not even an issue with ISPs, Sony's network doesn't even come close to capping out my speed, and I don't even have ridiculously good internet. I can download a 45 gigabyte game on Steam in the same amount of time it took for me to download Yakuza 5. Someone I know with Gigabit internet was downloading games that were Yakuza 5's size in 5 minutes on Steam.

I mean, Steam is the outlier in server->home PC download speeds, in where it can match what anyone can throw at it, it's still kind of ridiculous when I have mediocre internet and can download a game nearly twice the size of Yakuza 5 in 7 hours.

Ughhh

85% now

Wow guys...I'm on
the finale now. Last chapter. It's getting very intense. I completely skipped most of Haruka's sidequests as well as Akiyama and Shinada. The story was getting way too good for me to warrant putting time into their quests right now. Once I beat it I'll go back to finish all the sidequests.

ar4757

Speaking of Saejima's fighting, does anyone know how exactly to do his "Essence of Clotheslining" (lol I love all the essence names)

It says hit triangle on a bouncing enemy. The problem is, to get them to bounce, I hit square then triangle combo to make the enemy bounce. Then when I hit triangle to use the clotheslining, it acts as a followup to the square triangle combo. So no clotheslining :(

Sorry for the wordy explanation

rotar2

Neo Member
For Saejima's training, the trainer is asking me to bring something glittery for the
mountain gods
. Does anybody know what I need to bring to proceed with this step of the training?

Squishy3

Speaking of Saejima's fighting, does anyone know how exactly to do his "Essence of Clotheslining" (lol I love all the essence names)

It says hit triangle on a bouncing enemy. The problem is, to get them to bounce, I hit square then triangle combo to make the enemy bounce. Then when I hit triangle to use the clotheslining, it acts as a followup to the square triangle combo. So no clotheslining :(

Throwing is a guaranteed bounce.

You have you wait a bit to input the second triangle. BTW once you get far enough in training, you're better off never using heat as Saejima.

Man, I'm really loving Saejima's sub stories. In particular those two that give you more info about
your other two cell mates
were really well done.

Doing the side stuff in this game feels so good (even compared to other titles in the series) that I'm in no rush to continue through the main story. And I haven't even really begin the "Another Drama"
hunting
side story of Saejima.

Dio

Banned
Is it true that you have to finish all of her side content before moving on unlike other characters?

I wouldn't know, I haven't finished the chapter yet myself. I'm almost done with it, though.

Also, I do all side content in Yakuza ASAP so I wouldn't be the person to ask anyway.

Squishy3

I'm in Chapter 3 and the only thing I think might be required to progress with Haruka is there's stuff labeled as "story" in the thing you do all your idol activities from. No idea if it was required though, but I did end up doing it.

bon

Just finished Kiryu's part. Had a lot of fun with the taxi missions. Having to drive safely in a video game feels really strange.

raven777

Just finished Kiryu part. Man that was really good. I spend a lot of time doing side stuff and taxi missions.. Taxi related stuff were a lot more fun than I imagined.

Just finished off Saejima's story and started on Haruka's tonight. I've been passing up a LOT of the sidestories and moving on with the main this time since my kids are so close to coming home. I want to finish it all up before it is time to focus on babies completely. Fortunately the story so far is really great. Couple of things tho -

Saejima -
Baba, I mean come on, you could see that coming a mile away

Haruka -
I couldn't do that gentleman's magazine interview.. I felt so uncomfortable answering those questions and I actually failed it!

Just started Shinada's chapter, I'm thinking back on Haruka/Akiyama, I initially didn't like it and was like "Let's just this chapter over and done with fast." to begin with, but now looking back, I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Dez_

I'm really glad to see side quests appearing on the map now. I don't have to play this game with a guide open to make sure I don't miss much... that is unless some of this stuff is still hidden?

Either way, I'm about 5 hours in and still on chapter two. Really like the look of the first area. Very relaxing to just walk around.

This game was made with some sort of witchcraft. The taxi/hunting side stories feel like separate games I would have paid full price for lol. I'm not advancing the story at all, still on Saejima Ch3

raven777

So all the side quest you can do them later without missing any of them? I am thinking of skipping through Saejima's story for now, and do the quests later.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't find one of Saejima's substories. I've done:

2 in Kamurocho
1 in the village
11 in Tsukimino

The guide I'm using says that's all. But the in-game count is 14/15. And there's no more left on the map. What could I have missed?

EDIT: I guess the last one is triggered automatically or something?

Kain

(After you complete his training)

- Be Saejima

- Enter fight in heat mode

- Grab fire hydrant pole

- Press square

- ????

Win with one button press

Holy fucking shit, I'm not using Heat moves with Saejima ever again.

mrmyhthef

I can't find one of Saejima's substories. I've done:

2 in Kamurocho
1 in the village
11 in Tsukimino

The guide I'm using says that's all. But the in-game count is 14/15. And there's no more left on the map. What could I have missed?

EDIT: I guess the last one is triggered automatically or something?

I'm guessing the one you haven't done is
the snowball tournament one
. That one opens up near the end of chapter 4.

Top Bottom