• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Do i have to stumble on Victory Road qualifiers with every character in order to be able to use them later? I saw that Saejima had a mini event in that snowy town, and am now worried that i'll have to keep finding random battles with Akiyama to qualify.

Dio

Banned
This Idol Stuff makes me Uncomfortable for some reason.

They're showing you how it is, even if it's a bit sanitized. I don't think you're supposed to like touching hands with creepy fanboys who sniff their hands afterwards. Intentional, not 'some reason.'

Peff

That's kind of the idea :p

Just finished too, really liked it overall. I guess if the side stories don't strike a chord the pacing would be fairly wacky, but for me they did. I suppose it also helps if you see it as four separate stories coming together at the end. It's a shame that the combat gets too easy too fast, but I guess it comes with the territory of having a levelling system mostly based on optional content. Still, good stuff, and hopefully Zero will come out sooner rather than later.
I had to laugh at the return of Kiryu dying as a cliffhanger, haha. This is, what, the fourth time? Oh, well, even with the boss recycling, especially Akiyama's, the final fights had some great tracks and special QTEs. If there's one thing this team nails, is making the combat impactful and energetic.

Moving on, I tried out Kiryu in the Last Part and I just noticed the tracking issues he's had as well. I think it might have to do with the large number of enemies now

Kiryu gets a lot better at crowd control once you start leading his combos into throws. He has iframes during the animation and it usually knocks nearby enemies off balance. The three punches-triangle-throw combo in particular is really good for this.

Do i have to stumble on Victory Road qualifiers with every character in order to be able to use them later? I saw that Saejima had a mini event in that snowy town, and am now worried that i'll have to keep finding random battles with Akiyama to qualify.

As far as I can tell, yeah, but you can tell from the NPC whether it's a VR battle. The blonde guy with a black vest and grey shirt is always one, for example.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
keep fighting random battles because doing all the heat moves skyrockets your completion % and yakuza combat is awesome

Evilisk

Kiryu gets a lot better at crowd control once you start leading his combos into throws. He has iframes during the animation and it usually knocks nearby enemies off balance. The three punches-triangle-throw combo in particular is really good for this.

Oh yeah I know about that. When I realized his bound throws no longer used up Heat, I started to abuse the hell out of them (I even used that squarex1>triangle>bound throw infinite on the last boss since I couldn't be bothered to fight him properly when he started to heal).

I just meant that it's probably the large no. of enemies on screen at once that is screwing up his tracking. It's not a deal breaker but it is kinda annoying. I ended up using Quickstep Attack a lot less in this game because the broken tracking would just leave me open whenever I used it.

evilalien

Some advice for anybody trying to complete the arena. Do not do the final victory road event for Kiryu until you have gotten everybody up to rank 4 to unlock that one tournament. This saves you a ton of time because completing that event adds another competitor to the very top of the list and greatly bumps up the points you need to achieve rank 4. Losing fights to push yourself down a few ranks after achieving rank 4 is a good idea too to make ranking up easier for other characters.

Holy shit.

I don't mean to be too off topic, but man, I just played Yakuza 2's
baby mission
. These games have the best side quests ever.

Hopefully I can finish 2 in a month, kill 4 in a month, and finally hop on the 5 train. It's just sitting in my hard drive, begging for me.

I'm disappointed that none of the co-op games on the main menu have online aside from Virtua Fighter. None of the friends I convinced to buy the game are interested, but they all wanted to try bowling and darts and are bummed out that we can't try those.

I'm disappointed that none of the co-op games on the main menu have online aside from Virtua Fighter. None of the friends I convinced to buy the game are interested, but they all wanted to try bowling and darts and are bummed out that we can't try those.

It's not like the bowling and darts are that great by themselves.

WaterAstro

WhcVQmq.gif

45 hours in, I'm finally approaching Saejima's end part. The sheer amount of content in this game is truly amazing! Right now I've done almost everything as soon as it became available, including minigames, aside from Kiryu's hostess quest, which I completely forgot! I'm now planning on completing the Winter Combat tournaments, which just opened up, before finally ending Saejima and moving on to Haruka.

Impressions so far: they improved on almost anything, upgrade system aside which was better in Y4, but the greatest addition is the question/exclamation marks they added to sign side missions as soon as they become available. Is a very simple addition, but it helps a lot in balancing your game sessions between main quest and side content, which I always found to be the biggest weak point in previous games of the serie (and in all open world games in general).

I also really enjoyed the "another dramas" so far. I think it's an addition that greatly improves immersion 'cause it gives the idea that your characters do have A WHOLE life, which goes beyond the most pressing matters you're experiencing in the main quest.

Great game, the best in the series so far, even though you'll never have anything as epic as Y2 final battle with Goda and as emotional as the subsequent ending

I'm seriously considering getting Ishin. I've never imported a game before. All I should need to do is make a Japanese PSN account with a JPN credit card and then I can just purchase and download with that account onto my ps4 that has my US account right?

That's correct. Or you could purchase a physical version of the game from Japan and play it on your PS4 as its region free.

*edit*

Finally managed to get 200 in bowling. I had a really hard time finding that sweet spot to get lots of strikes. When I figured it out I managed to get strikes almost every time. Now to finish off the hostess stuff for Seijima...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished with 70 hours on the clock. I'll do a bit more on Premium Adventure/Battle Scenarios but that's me nearly done with the game.

Absolutely loved it, easily my GOTY but that tends to be the case for me with each Yakuza game when they come out :p Awesome series that I love so much, I'm so grateful I've been with it since the beginning.

Didn't mind the ending with how it all played out and overall I really liked all the characters. I wasn't sure about Shinada at first, especially as I really don't like baseball, but he's such a lovable big oaf I ended up really enjoying it and doing as much as I could. Even started enjoying all the baseball stuff too.

How long is the Shinada chapter? I'm not enjoying it after Haruka's awesome chapter.

If you ignore substories and another drama, I reckon about 4 - 5 hours maybe ? That could be me being optimistic.

Finished the game.

Ugh....gameplay wise, the final boss was great. Story wise, the final part was pretty awful. I hated that most of the final boss fights were people that we already fought several times (minus Saejima). I did like Haruka's final speech and the scene after the credits, but that's about it.

Overall, the game was awesome and I love the variety of things to do. I'm so happy to have Yakuza back in my life, you have no idea. Now that I've finished this game, I need to hunt down a working PS2. I ended up finding Yakuza 2 at a local shop, and I want to see for myself if it really is the best Yakuza game.

Evilisk

Started going into the side content. I didn't like Kiryu's taxi stuff all that much tbqh. And the IF8 stuff is kinda lame; I found being able to replay bosses with other characters more fun than this boring sidescroller stuff.

Started to do the Victory Road stuff and I got a little excited when I ran into the weapons guy from 3.

I played 3 earlier this year and thought "ya know, 5 would be a perfect chance for him to pop up again with all the cities" but I wasn't expecting him to be pop up in Shinada's part, and in Victory Road stuff too.

stn

What's the best way to buy the Japanese retail copy of Y5? I have no intention of playing the Japanese version without subs, I just want to have it for collection purposes. Thanks.

alright I need some help. I bought the game but I don't have enough space on my HD, but I can't make out where most of the space is taken up, how do I make some room?

Go_Ly_Dow

alright I need some help. I bought the game but I don't have enough space on my HD, but I can't make out where most of the space is taken up, how do I make some room?

You actually need twice the mount of available storage on your PS3 to install the game then is specified in the download.

So 43-45GB or something.

Go in to your system settings and choose "Format Utility", this will delete all your games on the hard drive (and other things in the background) so just make sure you know your PSN login to download again.

If it's still saying you don't have enough then you will need to also delete your game saves (back these up if needed).

Go_Ly_Dow

okay well, there goes my $40. Looks like I won't even be able to play this game but at least Sega got my support.

Assuming you have a 60GB PS3 like me then you will have enough space, but you will need to pretty much wipe your hardrive.

It doesn't take long and you can redownload the games again.

Once Yakuza 5 installs you will have 25GB free.

You actually need twice the mount of available storage on your PS3 to install the game then is specified in the download.

So 43-45GB or something.

Go in to your system settings and choose "Format Utility", this will delete all your games on the hard drive (and other things in the background) so just make sure you know your PSN login to download again.

If it's still saying you don't have enough then you will need to also delete your game saves (back these up if needed).
before I go ahead and do this, what are the "other things in the background" - there are two games in my HD that I don't want deleted, is there a way to circumvent this without deleting everything?
Assuming you have a 60GB PS3 like me then you will have enough space, but you will need to pretty much wipe your hardrive.

It doesn't take long and you can redownload the games again.

Once Yakuza 5 installs you will have 25GB free.
yeah I got the OG 60. I kinda don't wanna get rid of Tekken 5 online because even though no one's playing it anymore, I bought the online extension way back when and I don't think I can get that back if I delete, I think they removed it didn't they?

Go_Ly_Dow

before I go ahead and do this, what are the "other things in the background" - there are two games in my HD that I don't want deleted, is there a way to circumvent this without deleting everything?yeah I got the OG 60. I kinda don't wanna get rid of Tekken 5 online because even though no one's playing it anymore, I bought the online extension way back when and I don't think I can get that back if I delete, I think they removed it didn't they?

How many gigs does Tekken consume?

Formatting the utility would delete Tekken and I cant say for sure that you would get it back.

Perhaps it's a better bet to see how many gigs you have free and if it's possible to create enough space by selective deleting?

Go_Ly_Dow

You want to look at your downloaded games, videos, apps, game saves and game install data.

Also remember that some of these files only appear on certain accounts, so look through the.

This way you might be able to free enough without sacrificing Tekken. (also check your downloads page on the store to see if the option to redownload Tekken is available).

How many gigs does Tekken consume?

Formatting the utility would delete Tekken and I cant say for sure that you would get it back.

Perhaps it's a better bet to see how many gigs you have free and if it's possible to create enough space by selective deleting?
that's what I've been trying to do. tekken 5 only takes up 677MB, and bejeweled only 23MB. but I got only 11 free gigs of space, and I don't understand why, really. I have photos and shit but they add up to 527MB, one song that's 12MB three videos that add up to 15MB, netflix and youtube which add up to about 52MB...so what's taking up all my space?

Go_Ly_Dow

that's what I've been trying to do. tekken 5 only takes up 677MB, and bejeweled only 23MB. but I got only 11 free gigs of space, and I don't understand why, really. I have photos and shit but they add up to 527MB, one song that's 12MB three videos that add up to 15MB, netflix and youtube which add up to about 52MB...so what's taking up all my space?

Game Data installs, surely?

XMB > Game > Game Data Utility

Dez_

Not really feeling Saejima's section right now, after finishing up part one. Hoping things will pick up speed
after this prison section.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Min.us GIF seems to be acting up as it doesn't load for me, but the sequence of those GIFs is perfect

tumblr_ncwmzuVBtD1rhyxudo1_400.gif

3T5l8e.gif

tumblr_mvao5mn8HK1s3t6r6o1_400.gif
i feel this sells the series short as there are genuine human moments and interesting characters, at least in 2

WTF, I've cleared up my HD and now it says 44GB free, but when I try to install the game it says there's not enough space!!!! Fuck you, Sony

Just completed the game. What an incredible experience it was too. Just magnificent. I feel a sense of emptiness now though. Thank you SEGA!

Top Bottom