• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The games definitely don't change that much from one another, but it's the small improvements that make the difference. Again, I haven't played 4 and 5 yet, but I really hope they get rid of the chase sequences from 3 and improve boss encounters, which have always been a low point for the series in my opinion. So many of them are simply battles of attrition -- guys with 20 life bars and cheap unblockable stun attacks.
they don't.

dodge attacks!

Well, I finished Yakuza 5 a few days back and...
for a series that usually revels in its slower pace, I found the ending to be weirdly rushed, with the "big moment" sort of coming out of nowhere and not resolving a bunch of character stuff I thought would get addressed. I'd say overall I'm pretty please with the game in general (I absolutely loved 3 and 4), but I'd be lying if I said the ending wasn't a bit of a let down.

WaterAstro

Wow, and I thought the normal taxi missions were a bit rubbish. Then I got one which requires you to tail someone as well. :|

Really enjoying the game so far but some of the taxi stuff isn't its strong suit. :p

Nah, the Taxi stuff is great.

It's like the Shenmue forklift. It's a mundane everyday job, but it really has an impact on a long time Yakuza player seeing Kiryu doing an average job to help the orphanage. It's almost like a fall from grace, but he's man enough to stick with it rather than being a big shot yakuza.

zakujanai

the gameplay in the series really isnt all that different in 5 than 1 even. skip 3, play 4. theres too many reasons to play 4.

I see people hating on 3 all the time and I don't get it. Only played 3, 4 and 5 but 3 was the best experience by far. I don't really like having to start a new game every time I switch characters.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone think we need a spoiler thread? I'd love to see everyone's thoughts on the ending once I finish, but sifting through 50 pages in a few weeks seems like it could be an ordeal. :p

yukinon

Sega removed some extra features in Yakuza 3, like going to the hostess clubs or playing the Japanese history quiz game.

I personally enjoyed Yakuza 3, but I think the issue many others had with it was that fans from NA and EU didn't get to enjoy the full experience as opposed to those who've played Ryu ga Gotoku 3.

Other then that, I still think 3 was an exciting gameplay experience.

zakujanai

Sega removed some extra features in Yakuza 3, like going to the hostess clubs or playing the Japanese history quiz game.

I personally enjoyed Yakuza 3, but I think the issue many others had with it was that fans from NA and EU didn't get to enjoy the full experience as opposed to those who've played Ryu ga Gotoku 3.

Other then that, I still think 3 was an exciting gameplay experience.

I knew they took a lot of features out but as it was my first Yakuza game I didn't miss them. Maybe I'd have more of an issue now going back to it. I love all the playable characters but the single character focus of 3 made the story much more intense. By the time I level a new character up in 4 or 5 I neither remember nor really care all that much about all the dramatic goings on in the previous character's part.

elixia

is anyone getting frustrated with the combat in y5? particularly the bosses in near-end chapters. you can never land a clean combo to all of them. I mean you can, at the start of the battle but when the boss goes super saiyan your punch/kick will not flinch them and they start interrupting your combo with their big moves.

I end up running around and grab throw them til i win. is it really like that or maybe I did it wrong ? ;(

and all this is in normal mode! :(

cj_iwakura

is anyone getting frustrated with the combat in y5? particularly the bosses in near-end chapters. you can never land a clean combo to all of them. I mean you can, at the start of the battle but when the boss goes super saiyan your punch/kick will not flinch them and they start interrupting your combo with their big moves.

I end up running around and grab throw them til i win. is it really like that or maybe I did it wrong ? ;(

It's par for the course, sadly. They punish you for wailing on them. Stick and move, wait for them to miss, then punish until you get a heat prompt, then stomp on their faces.

cj_iwakura

At what I assume is the climax of Kiryu's story, 16/18 substories cleared. I'm guessing it's
photography and the shogi(shiver)
that I'm missing?

At what I assume is the climax of Kiryu's story, 16/18 substories cleared. I'm guessing it's
photography and the shogi(shiver)
that I'm missing?

Assuming that you want the answer to that (don't highlight if you don't, but it's not a story spoiler or anything).
You can't complete two of Kiryu's substories until the final chapter. Photography and shogi doesn't count as part of it.

cj_iwakura

Assuming that you want the answer to that (don't highlight if you don't, but it's not a story spoiler or anything).
You can't complete two of Kiryu's substories until the final chapter. Photography and shogi doesn't count as part of it.

That's much appreciated, I'd have been running around for a while otherwise. (Still haven't found any Revelations though...)

I tend to use counters, re guard, weapon attacks etc. both to mix fights up but also deal decent damage in the later half of fights since normal combo's generally aren't worth trying. Other than that, learn the moves that have the most recovery for a boss, use well timed dodges and then a short combo (they'll probably recover before you finish longer combo's).

Also, in Seijima's case make sure you do his training etc. to get the upgrade where he won't flinch when in heat mode. He becomes a unstoppable force that makes pretty much any fight trivial!

The games definitely don't change that much from one another, but it's the small improvements that make the difference. Again, I haven't played 4 and 5 yet, but I really hope they get rid of the chase sequences from 3 and improve boss encounters

Chase sequences in 3-5 are the worst inclusion in the games in my opinion. The only game in the series to have decent chases in my opinion is Ishin as they changed them up significantly. Usually your the one being chased in that game and you can run where you want, not on a linear path. You can also hide in order to lose the people chasing you.

I think the chase system was dropped completely for 0, as I don't remember it being used at all (no big loss really).

Does anyone think we need a spoiler thread? I'd love to see everyone's thoughts on the ending once I finish, but sifting through 50 pages in a few weeks seems like it could be an ordeal. :p

I'd be up for it.

That's much appreciated, I'd have been running around for a while otherwise. (Still haven't found any Revelations though...)

That should be marked on your map with
an exclamation mark. It should be on Modan St. It's near the taxi station and has a save point at the end of it.

elixia

It's par for the course, sadly. They punish you for wailing on them. Stick and move, wait for them to miss, then punish until you get a heat prompt, then stomp on their faces.

I tend to use counters, re guard, weapon attacks etc. both to mix fights up but also deal decent damage in the later half of fights since normal combo's generally aren't worth trying. Other than that, learn the moves that have the most recovery for a boss, use well timed dodges and then a short combo (they'll probably recover before you finish longer combo's).

Also, in Seijima's case make sure you do his training etc. to get the upgrade where he won't flinch when in heat mode. He becomes a unstoppable force that makes pretty much any fight trivial!

thanks for the input. I just beat the game without completing any sub missions just to see the main story and now I'm replaying the game again. hopefully I do better this time.

oneida

I see people hating on 3 all the time and I don't get it. Only played 3, 4 and 5 but 3 was the best experience by far. I don't really like having to start a new game every time I switch characters.
you can read my lttp thread for my complete impressions but the tldr is i feel that the game is poorly paced and structured and the drama is the worst in the series. the gameplay is fine but 1,2,4 and 5 are all better yakuza games to me.

I think Yakuza 5 is GOTY for me, or tied for Bloodborne.

Just beat it and I had the =O face the whole entire time.
END GAME SPOILER QUESTION
Though does the game elaborate what happens to
the tojo clan after? or Kurosawa? or Majime? lol

I think Yakuza 5 is GOTY for me, or tied for Bloodborne.

Just beat it and I had the =O face the whole entire time.
END GAME SPOILER QUESTION
Though does the game elaborate what happens to
the tojo clan after? or Kurosawa? or Majime? lol

Kurosawa
dies from what I know
everything else wait for ryu ga gotoku 6

Jornax

So I'm an hour into Part 2, Chapter 3, and have yet to encounter any audio (voices) in dialogue for this chapter, except the occasional "Eh?" by a random NPC. Is this normal? All the other audio is just fine.

oneida

So I'm an hour into Part 2, Chapter 3, and have yet to encounter any audio (voices) in dialogue for this chapter, except the occasional "Eh?" by a random NPC. Is this normal? All the other audio is just fine.
saejima's segment is a mess
and i like saejima!

Soltype

Just finished chapter 3, so far it's my favorite chapter, so much gravity at the end of it.Started Shinada's chapter and I don't get his fighting style, I feel like I'm not getting the most out him.

Just finished chapter 3, so far it's my favorite chapter, so much gravity at the end of it.Started Shinada's chapter and I don't get his fighting style, I feel like I'm not getting the most out him.

beat people with weapons. I mainly do that + do standard combo into grab.

My Shinada is running around cutting people with a lightsaber katana and its glorious. I think he is meant to be a weapon user considering that there are weapons EVERYWHERE in the city (the cones). Also his master
teaches him more weapon skills

zakujanai

you can read my lttp thread for my complete impressions but the tldr is i feel that the game is poorly paced and structured and the drama is the worst in the series. the gameplay is fine but 1,2,4 and 5 are all better yakuza games to me.

I'm really going to have to revisit 3 because I can't see how the pacing can be worse than 4 and 5. 5 in particular is expertly destroying any interest in story every single time I switch characters. When there is a story segment, they repeat the sane point over and over to the point of hilarity, they can literally take 5 minutes to get one sentence of information across. I suspect this may have been the case with 3 also though and I've just forgotten.

I'm hoping the story will pick up once I get everyone together. Shouldn't have taken me over 60 hours to reach that point though.

At least makes me more excited for Yakuza 0 though, not which Majima in this one.

evilalien

beat people with weapons. I mainly do that + do standard combo into grab.

My Shinada is running around cutting people with a lightsaber katana and its glorious. I think he is meant to be a weapon user considering that there are weapons EVERYWHERE in the city (the cones). Also his master
teaches him more weapon skills

Yeah use weapons a lot until you get the skills that allow you to end attack strings with a throw. Throwing at the end of strings is super abusable and builds heat so quickly.

Evilisk

Like others said, he needs a few upgrades but he seems to be the grabbing/weapons guy

His throw animations give him lots of invincibility (which is useful in big crowds), he'll get upgrades that allow him to cancel his rush combo into grabs and he'll also later be able to quickstep into grabs. He also has a weaker and less abusable version of Kiryu's bounding heat throws too that is still really good for bosses with armor/no flinch on hit.

He does have that running tackle for crowd control but I found that to be mostly useless; most bosses will counter it and you'll lose health, and I personally found it pretty unreliable.

I got nothing to say about how his weapons work. I found his pipe super useless in Hard (it does too little damage) and I was struggling to get any money with him in his chapter so I never bothered with buying others.

Like others said, he needs a few upgrades but he seems to be the grabbing/weapons guy

His throw animations give him lots of invincibility, he'll get upgrades that allow him to cancel his rush combo into grabs and he'll also later be able to quickstep into grabs. He also has a weaker and less abusable version of Kiryu's bounding heat throws too that is really good for bosses with armor/no flinch on hit.

He does have that running tackle for crowd control but I found that to be mostly useless; most bosses will counter it and you'll lose health, and I personally found it pretty unreliable.

I got nothing to say about how his weapons work. I found his pipe super useless in Hard (it does too little damage) and I was struggling to get any money with him in his chapter so I never bothered with buying others.

He also has a fucking sick ass armbar heat move !

GoDLiKe

I can't believe my PS3 is not working anymore just when I was ready to buy the game... Damn! I wish it was available for PS4 too :(

Time to save some money to buy another PS3 then!

DeVeAn

Duuuuuude you can't create clear data from premium adventure...so no real way to carry over to new game plus unless you do everything before the final boss😭

Wait I read it will carry over through system data... Can anyone confirm if PA progress will carry to PNG later?

Duuuuuude you can't create clear data from premium adventure...so no real way to carry over to new game plus unless you do everything before the final boss😭

Wait I read it will carry over through system data... Can anyone confirm if PA progress will carry to PNG later?

You can't create a cleared save file from Premium Adventure

JUST BEAT AMON!

Down to the fucking wire. One last Staminan Spark left, he's got about half a bar or more, and I fucking COUNTER THAT SHIT!

Feels good. Thanks to whomever gave me the advice to learn Komaki Tiger Drop, that shit is INVALUABLE.

DC1

3 was the ultimate man-opera. My favorite as well.

hamchan

So I didn't end up learning shogi or mahjong since both are easy to cheat to get completion but I did end up learning Koi-Koi, so that's something.

DC1

JUST BEAT AMON!

Down to the fucking wire. One last Staminan Spark left, he's got about half a bar or more, and I fucking COUNTER THAT SHIT!

Feels good. Thanks to whomever gave me the advice to learn Komaki Tiger Drop, that shit is INVALUABLE.
Congratulations man. I was tired and frustrated ...damn near ready to quit when I was reminded of the Tiger Drop (was reminded of it through the Google machine).

Congratulations man. I was tired and frustrated ...damn near ready to quit when I was reminded of the Tiger Drop (was reminded of it through the Google machine).

Thanks! That whole series of battles is quite something, really. Only for the brave and the bold.

In other news, game finished. What a ride. Completion at 53.77% Time to clear 95:18.

Looking forward to 0 on down the line, but time to take a break. It's been fun. Thanks to all the tips that were gleaned from this thread!

3 still has the best boss fights and best soundtrack, can't hate on it.

amon:
i just cheesed him with war god talisman
. feels bad man. well, not really.

Kain

Finished the game this friday. The ending of this game is shit, worst in the series by far.

It's a pity because the whole game is wonderful, but that ending... oh man, they did everything wrong

(spoilers for the ending)

Shinada was just... there. His story was finished in his own chapter, the rest was pure filler, he had no business with the pimps or with anyone other than his people. Him facing Baba was stupid at best and for the rest of the time he was just, as I said before,... there

Akiyama is another one who was just there. And the Omi alliance guy bowing to him felt out of nowhere considering he was just kicking goons in the face. I mean, the actual star was Katsuya, Akiyama didn't do shit in this game (apart from being awesome as he usually is, that is).

Saejima did a little more but that's it. He was the main character of 4 for me and has some good stuff in here, but they need to give him something else different than "The guy who breaks out of prison". He should be the head of his own family, and act as one, as his ending in 4 suggests.

In contrast to 4, Kazuma was the star in 5, and his final fight was cool (though I cheesed it with a lightsaber and after taking all of Aizawa's life the rest was a QTE fest lol), but as everything in this game the revelations felt rushed.

And for the love of god, please, REMOVE DAIGO FROM THE CHAIR, PLEASE, SEGA, PLEASE. Let the guy go be a pimp or something, he is NOT cut to be the chairman of the Tojo clan. Put Kazuma there again and be done with it, we can still play as him even if he is the chairman, for fucks sake.

Top Bottom