• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Trying to buy this game but is it true that its digital only? I wasn't able to find it in stores today until someone at gamestop of all places told me its only on psn. I have the old launch 60gb ps3 and considering the game is large and ps3 requires twice the space needed to download games I can't buy it without deleting all my rpgs which I can't do =\

artsi

Trying to buy this game but is it true that its digital only? I wasn't able to find it in stores today until someone at gamestop of all places told me its only on psn. I have the old launch 60gb ps3 and considering the game is large and ps3 requires twice the space needed to download games I can't buy it without deleting all my rpgs which I can't do =\

Yep, unfortunately it's digital only.

In the US, it is digital only.

WaterAstro

Delete your RPGs. I mean, are you really going to play them again after beating them?

Unless you didn't beat them in which you have games to play first.

Risette

A Good Citizen
find a cheap hdd?

WaterAstro

Man, Shinada's arc really blows. I don't like his goofball character, his combo and finisher is so slow, and I'm not a fan of baseball.

Now I can't even find stupid bait for this fishing training thing.

Evilisk

Currently up to new guy

Thoughts so far are

Haruka's section was a nice change up. Though I have to admit all of the stuff was pretty shallow; the concerts are like easier karaoke songs with dancing, and the dance battles were pretty basic (though I still went out of my way to do all of them). Didn't bother with any of the sidestuff since it didn't seem that interesting. I think she had the better story though. Was way more invested in her chapter than Saejima and Kiryu's (since imo both of those just feel like retreads).

Akiyama's bit was also nice (though I really like Akiyama). His story was also more interesting since he's a lot more active this time (his role in the last game was really just "introductory character"). I wasn't expecting
Akiyama Dance Battles
and I ended up disappointed that he only had them for a few substories.
Saigo returning was great, though I still hate his training stuff. I was not prepared for that toupee drop lol
I also laughed at Akiyama having a photo of himself as a bum (though it was super lame he had the same song as Saejima)

Combat wise, he seems to have gotten stronger. He did get nerfed a bit (his running triple kick no longer ground bounces, a few of his combos no longer work) but the launcher attack is ridiculous (you can keep enemies grounded forever with a squarex1 > triangle > launcher ), he got more Heat moves and the whole air combo thing is nice. It gives him something to do with his Heat meter (he never really had a use for Heat because he got no bonuses like balance, but didn't have enough situational Heat moves to use in bossfights).

The only major problems I had playing as him are how his triangle attacks work and his tracking. The former is just, if you press triangle too much, you'll get accidental launchers or heat moves. It's not a terrible change tbh, I guess I gotta be more careful now with mashing. The second one though was a real problem. Now I'm not sure if this is some controller related thing but his tracking was being real bad for me. Fighting crowds ended up being a lot more difficult than it should have. I did try out a new controller at his part, so maybe it's that. If it's not though, it's gonna be a real problem when I go for an Extra Hard run.

Am currently at the new guy and I have to say, he's really something else (though I'm really enjoying the challenge his moveset is providing). First thing I thought of is how bad his crowd control is. His throws don't damage other people at all and he does not have good range on his attacks. He's also super hard to combo with because of how his moveset works. His tackle is also kinda bad, since it's still useless against boss characters. His infinite pipe is pretty cool though. Story/personality wise he's a really busy character and I'm not sure I like him yet tbh.

WaterAstro

Man, I really don't like Shinada.

I usually want to finish all the substories and what not, but I'm just going to blaze through his story. It's just so bad an uninteresting. Even the dialogue is so boring that I'm skipping through the voiced work.

so I met the crazy doc brown guy and played the virtual reality fighting game with Kiryu. It only had the first level and I unlocked more heat gauge. Should I play it again with Kiryu or is that the only thing I can unlock?

so I met the crazy doc brown guy and played the virtual reality fighting game with Kiryu. It only had the first level and I unlocked more heat gauge. Should I play it again with Kiryu or is that the only thing I can unlock?

Only play it with other characters. No point in replaying the same stage.

WaterAstro

Wow, you have to do everyone else's substory before you can do Kiryu's last substory...

Guess that means I have to do Shinada's stuff...

hamchan

Managed to finish the completion for lockers despite picking up 10 keys with Haruka but not opening any. So as long as you don't actually open the lockers with her then all is fine.

WaterAstro

man...
Jo Amon is dumb as hell. Resists grabs, 100% guard kill, just so much BS. It's just a stupid item fight at this point.

Is there a english Yakuza 4 recap video (or equivalent) ? I just need a quick refresher since it's been a while.

Yakuza 5 comes with a Reminise section that has breif overviews of all the games.

If you want to watch a LP though, watch the Zaibatsu's run of it. Its how i got into the series, along with Hyperbit's video.

Kain

I think yesterday I read the weirdest line ever: "I'm going to keep my ass shiny so you can kick it next time!" or something like that. I don't know if that's the translators having fun or an actual line of the japenese script, but holy hell. I love these games and their humor.

Just finished the Shinada part, his storyline was a bit strange but I enjoyed it any way. Now I'm getting ready for the finale, I expect it will be awesome as the rest of the game.

Oh and his sub-quests are the best by far, I didn't like the taxi or the hunting, but the batting is cool as all fucks, I only have one mission left to finish the whole thing.

GeeTeeCee

I just started playing the other day, how concerned should I be about missing sub-stories? Is there any indicator as to when they become available?

squall23

Riku's song is stuck in my head. Love the song and her singing voice.
I just started playing the other day, how concerned should I be about missing sub-stories? Is there any indicator as to when they become available?
They become available when you see question mark markers on your map.

Mr Rivuz

Just finished the game on hard, made all subquests and sidestories, beaten the Amons... 135 hours and 55% completed.
Loved it from start to finish, got mad angry with the amons but i made it.
Only complaint i have about the game story is that
they should stop shooting people, since almost nobody ever dies because of that! Even an old man shot in the middle of his chest by a sniper rifle doesn't die!
LOL

Mr Rivuz

Is there a Guide or something for Each Character's Masters???

Because I don't know what to do with Saejima's.

I don't think GameFAQs can help me

If you put a random object (use something of low value, because you will lose it) then the master will explain more clearly what he wants.

Kain

Is there a Guide or something for Each Character's Masters???

Because I don't know what to do with Saejima's.

I don't think GameFAQs can help me

Actually, it can!

If I remember correctly you need to offer

- Carrot
- Wooden statue (you carve it with wood and some tool the shopguy nearby sells)
- Rabbit meat
- Deer meat
- Gold plate (you should have some from the goons you fight in the streets, if not you have to buy it)
- Magazine with girls on the cover (I think I bought mine in some store in the shop district, they are not hard to find)

The fights are the real pain in the ass. The worst training has been Akiyama's for me, that wig guy had some real bullshit going on

Really pleased that I managed to clear Seijima's Raman delivery side mission this time round... I just took it incredibly slow and managed to avoid that last damn pedestrian that caught me out the last time I played this game.

My only quarrel with Seijima is that I wish he had more unique heat moves. I've unlocked all the ones he can use so far, and they are ace but I just wish he had two or three more as Kiryu feels like he has a ton.

I'm really enjoying exploring the snowy city though, the detail is really nice, especially the snow sculptures to the north of the city.

Now to find the last few scraps of the treasure maps I'm short and do some bowling... So much still to do in this chapter that I'm not very motivated to continue the story just yet!

shinada has the most annoying ultimate challenges. the rest were pretty straightforward. i didn't know saejima could turn people into snowmen via heat action. i had to look that up, lol. you need a carrot and wooden statue in your inventory to do that.

I'm almost done with the game and now I feel like importing Ishin. Do you know if there's any difference between asia and japan version?

MYeager

shinada has the most annoying ultimate challenges. the rest were pretty straightforward. i didn't know saejima could turn people into snowmen via heat action. i had to look that up, lol. you need a carrot and wooden statue in your inventory to do that.

Carrot or wooden statue. I loaded up with carrots on the mountain because they were a pain in the ass to find later and the guy on the mountain seems to stop selling them after you learn the move.

thatdenalidude

Neo Member
I'm seriously considering getting Ishin. I've never imported a game before. All I should need to do is make a Japanese PSN account with a JPN credit card and then I can just purchase and download with that account onto my ps4 that has my US account right?

Evilisk

Finally finished the game. Of course, I'm just getting started. I'm gonna do all of the side stuff and substories and then do an Extra Hard run before I'm really through. Though I think I'll keep the NG+ stuff rather than starting from scratch on Extra Hard. The upgrade system really dissauded me from doing that. Might take a break first though, since I've been playing non-stop for a few days now.

Shinada Impressions
I just don't like him all that much. He just doesn't seem like a terribly interesting character (even Takasugi seemed more interesting). Gameplay wise, he seems pretty effective but he's incredibly boring to play, to be quite honest. Despite his lack of crowd control (sans his running tackle) he's got absurd invincibility on his grab->square (and he has a quickstep->grab move and can cancel his rush combo into a grab as well). That said I haven't gone that deep into his moveset yet, and I got his parry move really late into his chapter. I'll probably have his moveset figured out on my Extra Hard playthrough.

Shinada's part in general was pretty boring. Twist was really obvious to see coming. I did not care for Fishing and Baseball. And even his Master/training was really boring. I also feel like he might have had the easiest bossfights too though maybe he's just really good for fighting bosses.

Moving on, I tried out Kiryu in the Last Part and I just noticed the tracking issues he's had as well. I think it might have to do with the large number of enemies now (since he's easier to control with fewer enemies). I guess I didn't end up noticing because Kiryu only gets 1 massive wave of enemies in his chapter. Surprisingly, Saejima isn't that affected by the sensitive tracking. If anything it makes it a lot easier to land his triple charging finish against strafe-happy enemies.

I liked that you get a Part where all the playable guys are working together (rather than coming together just in time for the finale). I almost got my ass kicked by
AI Saejima surprisingly (though to be fair, that AI is cheating so hard. I'd never get a grab off Kiryu if I were playing as Saejima).
The final bosses in the game
all being bosses you fought before
was super lame, I gotta admit.
The Aizawa fight wasn't too bad though. I smiled when I saw all of those health bars on screen
The ending... eh I got nothing to say on it.

The Victory Road stuff seems super interesting. All of the VR-related fights have been way tougher than the standard bossfights (even the last boss). I'm wondering whether I should save that for Extra Hard though.

Top Bottom