• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Played until 4am yesterday and moved on to Shinada's chapter... god, I can't believe I've logged 29 hours on this game already. I'm not even close to finishing it yet am I?

kiryogi

Banned
The biggest mistake of Yakuza franchise is got rid of her.

I have no idea why they decided to do that.

Same thing happens to all females not Haruka or mamasan of New Serena. Written off or killed off.

While for Kaoru
I don't recall if she was relocated due to events for 2 or if it was her doing.

DeVeAn

So, is there anything I can't do later in premium adventure? Near the end and need a resolution. Don't want to miss out on stuff.

Same thing happens to all females not Haruka or mamasan of New Serena. Written off or killed off.

While for Kaoru
I don't recall if she was relocated due to events for 2 or if it was her doing.

She went to America to teach cops how to hack or something

Dedicating my entire Saturday to finishing up 2. Only three more chapters to go. I'll be skipping the sidequest in hopes that by the time I replay all the games in the near future, a remake will be on the way.

4 is next, but man, the more I read about 5 the more the wait is killing me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OH MAN oh man oh man ..

the fight and all the scenes before it at the end of Finale Chapter 3.

I grew chest hair just watching that 4 way exchange. If there was ever a category for 'most badass moment of the year' this would be it.

just booted up the game!!!!!

System data for YAKUZA 3 has been detected.
Obtained 'Sunshine Scarf' as a present.

hell i'm surprised they were able to detect anything given how much fucking shit I had to get rid of to make room for this mothafucker

Zafir

Finally got around to starting this. I forgot what it's like to play a game that's full of dialogue and cutscenes. Kind of refreshing.

Had to laugh at the random disappearing NPCs during the dialogue, lol.

just booted up the game!!!!!

System data for YAKUZA 3 has been detected.
Obtained 'Sunshine Scarf' as a present.

hell i'm surprised they were able to detect anything given how much fucking shit I had to get rid of to make room for this mothafucker

congrats, it'll be worth it. bonus item from Y4 is a certain pack of yen btw.

Got the platinum at 165 hours. Bring on Yakuza 0.

nice. maybe i can get mine in 4 years. still working on yakuza 4 plat, lol.

hahaha I'm learning how to hunt at the moment, its like I'm playing an entirely different video game. I can't believe how amazing this game is, it's even better than 4

evilalien

Finally doing Coliseum/Victory Road finals. This is twice as hard as 4. I'd almost venture to say bullshit, but I know that's not the truth. Any tips/tricks?

Learn to use the Komaki Tiger Drop. It makes any fight where you are using Kiryu/Saejima incredibly easy. The final enemy in the Victory Road finals has slow startup on most of his moves so he is really easy to parry. I can offer more advice if you are having problems playing as Akiyama/Shinada as they both have cheese strategies available.

Learn to use the Komaki Tiger Drop. It makes any fight where you are using Kiryu/Saejima incredibly easy. The final enemy in the Victory Road finals has slow startup on most of his moves so he is really easy to parry. I can offer more advice if you are having problems playing as Akiyama/Shinada as they both have cheese strategies available.

I'll practice up and try again tomorrow. Burnt out for today, especially after the 4+ tries to beat the Weapon Master tournament. Fat guy with gun is especially annoying this time around. Ended up winning with the knife. The knife!

Also: is it just me, or is the sound reversed in headphones for some reason? I swear the left/right channels are switched, as everything happens in reverse with that.

Zafir

Wow, and I thought the normal taxi missions were a bit rubbish. Then I got one which requires you to tail someone as well. :|

Really enjoying the game so far but some of the taxi stuff isn't its strong suit. :p

okay, i basically just started playing the game, but i can already tell there is an interesting level of depth in the game.

i just beat up the two persistent yakuzas who were trying to figure out where i dropped off daigo, and on my way home after beating up some more thugs, I ran into this college student who was nervous about his test and i helped him study...this game started asking legitimate questions about history, math, and physics...i had to put the controller down and go to google for the answers! that is pretty damn cool that they did that. and that's right in the beginning of the game. when i got home i saw that i'm only .68% done with the game.

i get that it doesn't really add to the story of the game, but i did get XP from it.

samuelfortner

Neo Member
So like...I really want to play this game but I have only ever played the first one. I want to play this one now and go back to 3 and 4. My question is. If I play this and watch recaps of 3 and 4 will I not have any enjoyment going back to them later?

cj_iwakura

Wow, and I thought the normal taxi missions were a bit rubbish. Then I got one which requires you to tail someone as well. :|

Really enjoying the game so far but some of the taxi stuff isn't its strong suit. :p

The taxi stuff is the reason I haven't finished Kiryu's segment yet. So good.

Has anyone beaten his optional taxi boss yet? Good god, it's like Bunta all over again.

orient

Neo Member
So like...I really want to play this game but I have only ever played the first one. I want to play this one now and go back to 3 and 4. My question is. If I play this and watch recaps of 3 and 4 will I not have any enjoyment going back to them later?

I'm finally playing Y3 at the moment and it's probably the weakest of the first 3 games in my opinion. Still fun but really slow, Okinawa isn't as cool as Osaka, bad chase sequences...I haven't played Y4 or 5 yet, though so not sure how it compares to those.

samuelfortner

Neo Member
I'm finally playing Y3 at the moment and it's probably the weakest of the first 3 games in my opinion. Still fun but really slow, Okinawa isn't as cool as Osaka, bad chase sequences...I haven't played Y4 or 5 yet, though so not sure how it compares to those.
I'm more worried about the game play changes being so drastic that it becomes hard to play the older ones when you have a superior game.

I'm more worried about the game play changes being so drastic that it becomes hard to play the older ones when you have a superior game.

Well, they're remaking the original game (Kiwami). The second game probably isn't out of question to get the same treatment. Of course the main issue is whether or not we'll ever get those games in the west. That's the toughest part about being a Yakuza fan outside of Asia.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
the gameplay in the series really isnt all that different in 5 than 1 even. skip 3, play 4. theres too many reasons to play 4.

orient

Neo Member
The games definitely don't change that much from one another, but it's the small improvements that make the difference. Again, I haven't played 4 and 5 yet, but I really hope they get rid of the chase sequences from 3 and improve boss encounters, which have always been a low point for the series in my opinion. So many of them are simply battles of attrition -- guys with 20 life bars and cheap unblockable stun attacks.

The one great addition from Y3 are the Revelations. Hilarious, cool ways to learn moves.

Top Bottom